What have you eaten today?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

B 2tbs each flaxseeds yogurt walnut pieces
    L salad with a slice of avocado
    D “risotto” made with cauli rice button mushrooms peas and home cooked ham.
    Snacks: handful of blueberries (my breakfast ones, had to go shopping!) small pack (20g) cheddar cheese
    Drank 1 black coffee, 2 black tea, 2 green tea and lots of water today.
    Feel full but easy diet app tells me I’ve only had 684 calls and 14 carbs. Did a lot of walking today, just doing the school run with the grandsons, four times, twice there and back, so when entered as 20 mins “dog walking” that brought the calls down. Not sure I fully trust the app but weight shifting again and general shape changing.

• posted by Catgirl
    on

Hi missay, the melon, blueberry and spinach shake for breakfast looked like swamp water or the green algae on top of our old pond, it didn’t taste too bad but as I used my food processor to blend it all the texture was just like swamp water, I really need to invest in a nutrition bullet as it was hard to drink and used a spoon for a lot of it! Didn’t quite trigger the gag reflex but not far off!

Doing a variation of the pepper and olive chicken for tea, putting a Mediterranean twist on it by adding a tin of chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, garlic clove and dried oregano, shoved it in a casserole dish and into the oven, calorie count with courgetti and green beans is around 260 which isn’t too bad. The carbs for the whole dish are around 14 which I know is a bit high for some people but we are not sticking religiously to 20 a day and things seem to be going well so far. Smells from the oven are lovely.๐Ÿฝ

• posted by Patsy
    on

I had yoghurt with a chopped pear and coconut shreds for brekkie. Lunch was home made tomato soup and dinner was harrissa chicken (but I missed out the pine nuts and raisins and had the chicken hot with the salad). My husband had chips with his (he’s not doing the diet). I wasn’t tempted to nick one. Well, not very tempted. I resisted anyway.

• posted by misssay
    on

Breakfast: Home made yogurt and mixed berries with cinnamon

Lunch: Beef salad with pomegranate seeds, lettuce, rocket, toms, basil, pepper, gherkin, olives and horseradish mixed with sour cream

Dinner: Poached smoked haddock with shallots, tomato and spinach, topped with a creme fraiche and cheddar sauce.

Snack: half an apple

Drinks: water, two teas with splash of milk, one coffee with cream, buftermint teas

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Today’s menu:
    B – yogurt with mixed seeds and ground linseed topping
    L – homemade veggie soup with full fat creme fraiche
    D – sea bass fillet, with mixed shellfish foil cooked with olive oil and lemon and kale
    various herbal teas and water

• posted by Catgirl
    on

B – raspberries and Greek yogurt

L – turkey salad

D – harissa chicken (absolutely scrummy with a bit of a kick) served with the salad as in the recipe in the book, defo doing this again, tastes nothing like ‘ diet’ food!

750 calories the lot

• posted by misssay
    on

Breakfast: Greek and home made yogurt with mixed berries

Lunch: Ham and blue cheese salad, with the usual lunch time salad bits and bobs

Dinner: Mackerel fillet cooked with a rub of coriander seeds, black pepper and orange rind, served with rocket, shallot, chilli, cherry toms, , cooked yellow pepper and sesame seeds, orange juice, sesame oil and grain mustard dressing, coriander leaf

Half an apple

Water and black coffee

• posted by misssay
    on

Today’s food:

Breakfast: Spiced Easter Bun with butter (hot cross bun ‘replacement’ – recipe is in recipes section

Lunch: Home made cauliflower cheese and onion soup

Dinner: Teryaki, chilli and coriander chicken and veg stir fry with sour cream

Snack: Half an apple, one brazil nut

Drinks: water and two teas with milk

Cals:789. Carbs 44g

• posted by jpscloud
    on

I had a brunch today – I made an experimental gram flour pancake with 25g gram flour, water and an egg. I had that with 2 Linda McCartney sausages and two grilled tomatoes. It was really nice and I think about 400 calories in total (I fried it in butter).

Dinner will be a large egg salad, with a slice of home made rye bread and butter. I might have some strawberries later as a snack too.

I weigh in on Monday at slimming world… I’ll keep going there for now as it is an independent weigh in and I like catching up with the group. By my scales I’ve lost at least 5lbs since starting the diet.

• posted by jillyB
    on

your breakfast and lunch sound good…..could you be more specific about amounts and calories ? I am just starting out and am new to all this.

• posted by jillyB
    on

bill1954
    liked the sound of your breakfast and lunch , could you be a bit more specific about quantities and perhaps calorie content ?

• posted by NewLife
    on

This thread has been very helpful for me so I thought I’d contribute:

Yesterday:
    B: Greek yoghurt (FF) with mixed seeds
    L: I was on the road so I had to think outside the box a bit, I bought a bag of peanuts and ate about 50g I think (I’m one of the lucky ones who isn’t diabetic so I’m not counting as religiously as some of you) – surprisingly that kept me full.
    D: Cheese salad – small square of cheddar grated over a mountain of salad leaves, toms and cucumber.

No chocolate and no pizza or crisps (what everyone else ate) AND I didn’t really feel tempted ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Newlife, I’m so happy you weren’t tempted – it’s a wonderful freedom when that happens isn’t it? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Hi Jilly, not sure if you meant my post but I didn’t count the calories for my brunch precisely – I reckoned about 400 calories, erring on the side of caution so it was perhaps slightly less.

I’m curious now! Let’s see… my brunch contained:

Gram flour is 356 calories per 100g so 25g would be about 90 calories.
    The eggs I buy are all sizes so I usually count 80 calories per egg for an average.
    Linda McCartney sausages are 127 calories for two.
    Tomatoes are around 22 calories each and I had two = 44 calories.
    A teaspoon of butter is about 5g, 36 calories

That makes 377 so I wasn’t far off guesstimating 400 calories.

I can’t be precise about my home made rye bread – I count 150 calories per (thin) slice as it is really dense. It doesn’t make my blood sugar spike, so I am very lucky with that.

So today’s food:

B 100g Greek yoghurt with 150g raspberries – about 170 calories

L (planned): 1/3 pot hummus with celery and carrot sticks – about 200 calories

D (planned): 2 chicken chargrills (using up freezer stocks) with green salad – 310 calories

Snacks (planned) – 300g strawberries – 100 calories, 4 squares of chocologic dark – 58 calories

Total 838 calories planned. I may also try some spicy gram flour coated prawns (thanks for the recipe Bill!), for a further 200 calories, as a treat for Easter Sunday!

• posted by NewLife
    on

Hashimoto, it feels sooo good!
    Full roast lunch today and I was able to skip the potatoes and yorkshires without too much trouble ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Newlife, so glad you were able to enjoy your Easter dinner! It’s still good without the carbs, isn’t it?? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by misssay
    on

Breakfast: Easter Spiced Bun, warmed, creme fraiche on top

Lunch: Platter of hummus, piece of chedder, guacamole, sour cream, pickled jalapenos, olives, gherkins, pickled onions, cherry tomatoes. The plan was to serve this with some toasted slices of a cauliflower loaf I made yesterday. Bleuuugh, I’m afraid – didn’t like it at all, and the OH, who loves all things cauli, didn’t like it either.

Dinner: Roast lamb and gravy, brussels sprouts, carrots, mashed and baked swede, spicy red cabbage with red onion, apple and cranberries. (Not had this yet, but looking forward to it all in a while)

Drinks: Water, one tea with milk, two coffees and cream

No cals or carb counts for today, as I am having a couple of days (yesterday and today) on slghtly more relaxed eating, whilst still sticking to the basis ideas of the plan. I still have a week to go to the end of the 8 weeks, but will be doing another stint after that, so Easter weekend seemed like a good time to relax a little, and see what effect it had. I suppose that makes this week more of a 2:5 week!

• posted by Patsy
    on

Brekkie – yoghurt with passion fruit.

Lunch – 2 egg omelette with bacon* and mushrooms

Dinner – chow mein (with no noodles and extra veg instead)

Drinks – 6 pots of tea (shared) and water.

*I’ve discovered bacon medallions. They’re just the round meaty part with no rind or fat and much thicker than a rasher. Good cut in strips for omelettes or diced in pea soup.

• posted by misssay
    on

Back on track today with

Brunch: Gammon steak, fried egg, tomatoes, mushrooms and two small bubble ‘n’ squeak type fritters made from mashed sprouts and carrots, salt and pepper, dried onion and besan flour. I formed them into the rissoles/fritters and ovenbaked them. They’ll definitely feature again as the besan flour helped to make them taste like real bubble ‘n’ squeak, and not just mashed up veg!

Dinner: Vaguely middle eastern mix up of chicken breast pieces, fried with ras el hanout spice mix, fenugreek spice, ground garlic flakes, chilli flakes, lemon juice and chopped coriander leaf, served with roasted yellow pepper strips, courgette and red onion (also with the ras el hanout and fenugreek), leftover spiced red cabbage with cranberries (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves), and finally … pomegranate seeds, golden plum and mint salad!

You may have guessed that I’m rather partial to my herbs and spices!

Snack: half an apple

Drinks: Fizzy and still water, one Earl Grey tea with milk, one coffee and cream, three buttermint teas (these smell just like Murray mints!)

Cals: 828. Carbs:48g

• posted by Leeanne
    on

B: 2 rashers grilled bacon, 1 fried egg, half tbsp Brown sauce, 1 pickled onion (don’t ask…I like them with bacon !)

L: lettuce, tomato, half tin tuna in spring water

D: oven baked cod fillet (just plain, no batter/ breadcrumbs), tbsp peas

Apple, pear, tea/coffee, 1 or 2 walnuts

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Today has been:
    B – two rashers back bacon and fired egg
    L – zilch
    D – a selection of cold meats and cheeses, a dollop of hummus, a dollop of coleslaw and gem lettuce leafs

Finished the day 100cals over, but carbs only at 10.69, so not stressing too much.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Breakfast – 2 (small) apples. 6 almonds

Lunch – homemade pea and bacon soup

Dinner – homemade chicken sag and a gram flour flatbread (my first time making those and will definitely have them again)

drinks – lots of tea with milk, water, low calorie tonic (we had it already. I won’t be buying more) Think I’ll have hot milk later.

• posted by Keetz
    on

This is my first day and this thread is VERY useful!
    B: poached egg & half an avocado
    L: Half tin baked beans on coconut oil-fried portobello mushrooms
    D: chicken stir fry in tamari with ginger, & garlic.

3 litres water, various herbal tea

Waaarrrggghhhhh- I’m scared!

• posted by Catgirl
    on

Dear Keetz, don’t be scared as this actually works, I have just started week 3 today and thought at the start that I wouldn’t just be chewing my finger nails down to the knuckle but chewing my arm off at the elbow but NO! I have never felt hungry or tempted to pick, take all the support from the forums you need and we look forward to reading of your success.

• posted by Rob
    on

I am a lost here,
    Been following the diet as it is written in the book ( hardest is eating the food that makes me gag )

This is my 8th day and haven’t eaten anything more that what is in the book

( I have had 2 lattes in 8 days which is a huge improvement as I would of had 8 , if I was not on the diet )

I was writing on a forum named lieghtweight / heavyweight ….but it has disappeared ??

How comes your all eating meals that are not in the book?

I thought if I read the book correctly that the meals they have written was to reboot the body??

I think I lost 7kg in 7 days ( didn’t weigh before I started but I think I was 95 ) my aim is 78-80kg then switch to the 5:2 diet ( but I am frightened I have eat the wrong food for so long that I am pre diabetic?? Going to ask dr for tests once I get to 78-80kg

All I can say ….I am 43 and this is the hardest thing in my life and reading the book and comments in the forum is the suppor/drive that is needed

Anyone tell me where the last forum went??

Hello to all))))

• posted by Rob
    on

Thank you jandz100

))

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hi Rob, I’m personally a fan of just plain food so have not used any of the recipes in the book, as delicious as they sound. I try to incorporate mine & hubby’s meals to save on cooking and expense. I’ve stuck to low carb, full fat with calorie counting and it works for me. Week 4 now and a stone gone.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Keetz, welcome to the forums. Sounds like you have made a good start on the first day. Don’t be scared we are all on this journey together ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Rob

That sometimes happens with threads, they just seem to disappear for different people. If you get posts piped through to your email there is always a link to the post just above the text the poster has written. So if you ever lose your thread, you can pick it up again through your emails.

The recipes in the book are only suggestions, so long as you stick to the idea of low carb high fat, you can eat whatever you like!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi rob, a lot of us eat following the principles of the diet, i.e low carb (and most of us count the calories). I. Have made some recipes from the book, but the basic ingredients can be made into a variety of meals. Some recipes. In the book take a long time to make – thinking of beetroot fa!
    I do make the fish baked in foil but I do it the way I always have – ie I add some soy sauce, ginger, chilli, onion, tomato and courgette. It’s easy that way and only a plate and cutlery to wash.

You’ll develop ideas as you become confident about calorie and carb content. Keep going – you have already lost a lot of weight.
    Get your blood sugars tested as soon as you can or you won’t know the extent of your success ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Keetz
    on

Thank you very much- these comments are SO encouraging.

• posted by Keetz
    on

This is great to read Leeanne! I am worried that less time usually and a partner who generally doesn’t join in with this (plus 2 young girls) that I won’t always be able to follow the book recipes. How do you check your low carb, high fat stuff? Do you check labels? If so what numbers are you looking at. I’m interested to know how I can adapt especially when we’re away next week.
    Thank you!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Keetz, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in. Some people have smart phone apps which help – I don’t have a smart phone so don’t have an app. I just google calories for a given food and you get all the info on carbs as well. Because I don’t have a smart phone app I have been compiling a list of foods I typically eat with their calories and carbs listed. I also check labels.
    When you are away I would just avoid the starchy carbs and choose things like omelette, salads without chips or crisps, curry without rice or breads. You could even have fish from a chippy if you remove the batter. You could have a burger without the bun or any number of combinations just keep of the carbs! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Keetz
    on

Ooh I don’t mind AT ALL! This is all so helpful (I’ve never been on a forum before!)
    Some great ideas there, Hashimoto-that helps a lot! I have an app (My Fitness Pal) so calorie counting is fine, I was unclear on how you count carbs. I’ve just been reading around the forums a bit and found lots of people use a daily figure of 50g. I guess I can see that on the app?? Brilliant advice and encouragement – thank you!

• posted by melnz
    on

I am just returning to this plan after a wonky few days.

B – Greek yoghurt with chia seeds and berries
    L- Egg salad
    D – Lemon, mustard chicken thigh with salad and a small serving of feta.

I find the morning and evenings ok – but struggle in the afternoon. Copious cups of green tea help a little.

I have lost 5 kgs so far, really only in a couple of weeks. I struggle with weight loss so am very impressed. In particular losing it around my tummy is very motivating.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi meinz, you’re not alone in having had a few wonky days over easter. But you are back on track which is the important thing.
    The fact that I lost weight from my stomach area first is one of the things I found so motivating.

5 kg is a lot to lose in a couple of weeks ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by melnz
    on

Thanks Hashimoto. Back to work tomorrow – and I a;ways find things easier during the working week.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Hashimoto, I think I missed the yorkshires rather than the potatoes but it was still pretty darn good!

Yesterday –
    B: FF yoghurt, mixed seeds
    L: on the road – peanuts c50g
    D: leek+bean soup

Today –
    B: FF yoghurt, sunflower seeds
    L: smoked salmon salad
    D: leek + bean soup (last of my batch so I need to start thinking about tomorrow’s dinner…)

A chocolate-free Easter! Whoop!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Congratulations Newlife, you’re one more person who did not end up in James Cook University Hospital A and E dept suffering from an over indulgence of Easter Eggs!! They even put it on facebook!! Just shows how much we need to get the word out there through our petition!

I must say if it was not for the fact I am gluten intolerant it is the Yorkshires which I would miss most, so well done you for sticking to the plan! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Missay
    You make such lovely food, you’re an inspiration. I just copied and pasted your menu into my notes!
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Keetz
    Don’t be scared. You’re doing great. Carry on like that and you ll be fine.
    Penny

• posted by Kate66
    on

I note the absence of posts over the Easter period…! Yesterday we ate:
    No carb Bircher
    Spinach and chorizo soup
    Griddles salmon steak with salad of spinach, tomato, avocado and pine nuts
    Snack (after a gym session) 1 stick of celery and hummus
    Going well – bring on week 5!!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Rob
    I found it confusing at first.
    You don’t have to follow the recipes in the book. Just stick to 50 g of carbs and 800 cals. However you want! Whatever you normally eat minus the bread pasta cakes and rice. So if you like bacon and eggs eat that but no fried bread with it. If you d normally have a ham and cheese sandwich have the ham and cheese with some green veg or salad but no bread. If you love curry have it without the naan bread and rice. As Janet said, you could just concentrate on keeping your carbs below 50 g, it will still work. If you avoid all those carby things it will be easy to stay below 50 g. Look on Calorieking, see what carbs are in veg and fruit, write it down somewhere. Really it’s that simple.
    Good luck and keep asking for help.
    Penny
    PS other threads are listed at the top of the page.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Keetz
    I use Calorieking online to check cals and carbs.
    I use MyFitnessPal to track what I’m eating. You can’t rely on their info the cals etc as its put in by the public so I’ve made my own list on ‘my foods’ and ‘recipes’ so I know they’re accurate.
    They ll give you a chart of the proportions of what you’re eating.
    Good luck
    Penny

• posted by Keetz
    on

That’s great- thanks Penny. I’ll check Calorie King out. I have been scanning barcodes and creating recipes in the way on MFP for a while now on other diets/nutrition plans but I didn’t understand the carb thing so everything’s becoming clearer! Thanks guys:
    B: scrambled egg with basil on portobello mushroom..
    In spite of lots of water I’m thirsty all the time- is that normal?

• posted by Keetz
    on

I LOVE this Penny- it makes things seem much more manageable. I know it’s for Rob but it all helps! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Keetz
    I’m thirsty all the time too, although as T2D I’m used to that. It’s the body’s way of screaming for fluids to wash away the sugar deposits.
    Now THAT can’t be a bad thing.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

I was away over Easter with no internet. We had a great family holiday and the grandsons kept us busy, running and walking lots. But it was my son’s birthday plus Easter. Here is a list of my sins:
    1hot cross bun with butter
    1 small piece of birthday cake
    8 chips
    1 tiny little mini Easter egg
    3 G&T
    3 glasses wine
    I am at wk7 so have decided to do an extra week before going to 5:2
    Not weighed yet but encouraged that son and d in law noticed a big difference in the two weeks since we saw them!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Scotgran – lovely that you’re family noticed the changes in you ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.