What have you eaten today?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

B- plain yog/3tbsp fruit cocktail
    L- 2 hard boiled eggs/salad
    D- chicken breast/1oz feta/salad

Cups tea plus water

• posted by misssay
    on

Hi Penny,

Have been AWOL for a few days, getting a new tablet sorted out, and busy at work. You’re right about MFP. I don’t trust it unless I have added the item to my favourites myself, or I can confirm the accuracy of the database info myself.

• posted by misssay
    on

Yesterday’s food:

Breakfast: Greek yogurt and cooked mixed berries

Lunch: Salad – romaine lettuce, rocket, cherry toms, olives, gherkins, basil, cooked yellow pepper, beef, spring onions, mayo/sour cream, a small pear

Dinner: Garlic lime chicken stirfry with peppers, courgette, mange tout and onion, garlic, lime juice and zest, onion garlic granules, black pepper and oregano

Water, two cups coffee with milk

Cals: 857 Carbs: 44g

• posted by Lolo
    on

This is a great thread and has given me some inspiration for some new breakfast choices!
    Loving the yoghurt, berries and milled seed idea – didn’t even think of it, and I have some in the cupboard!
    Have posted on a few other forums – stalled in week 3&4. Now in week 5 & I am definitely starting to feel slimmer. The scales have been stubborn – but I think this week will see a change.
    I’ve readapted my approach & reduced the carbs to below 50 each day.
    Breakfast – Blueberry, avocado & yoghurt smoothies (with some super supplements)
    Lunch – Salad leaves, cucumber, beetroot, seeds, celery & a teaspoon of olive oil.
    Dinner – Thai butternut squash soup, poached egg & kale.
    Snack – 50ml organic milk (for teas!)

Well done everyone – love the forums, a real inspiration xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Bit annoyed with myself today, as I have managed to go over the 800, finishing the day at 915! The only plus is that I am well below 50g on carbs – under 20g actually, so I’m hoping the excess on calories won’t matter too much. Anyway, today I have had:

Breakfast – yogurt, raspberries and milled seed mix
    Lunch – again gem lettuce leafs spread with cab pate topped with a sprinkle of mixed seeds and a small wedge of camembert
    Dinner – two small chicken thighs cooked in a tomato and paprika sauce, with cavolo nero and flower sprouts.
    On track to have drunk enough, just need one more glass of water and one more herbal tea.

Really hope tomorrow, I will be able to keep my calorie count below 800 and I have been struggling since going off piste at the w/e – wish me luck.

• posted by misssay
    on

Today:

Breakfast: Home-made full fat yogurt with mixed berries

Lunch: Salad – romaine lettuce, rocket, cooked red pepper, gherkins, olives, basil, cherry tomatoes, tuna, mayo/sour cream, chilli, spring onions

Dinner:Slow cooker Morrocan style pork casserole with spices, carrots, mushrooms, onion, green lentils, raisins and tomato puree

Water, teas with milk

Cals: 831 Carbs: 48

• posted by Squidgy
    on

Breakfast – Easiyo Greek yogurt, pomegranate seeds, blanched almonds and chia seeds and a sprinkle of cinnamon
    Lunch – Cottage Cheese with mixed salad (Rocket, red peppers, mixed cherry tomatoes, cucumber, spring onion, capers, radishes) & 1 tablespoon salad dressing (Lime juice/ rapeseed oil, capers). Small plum
    Dinner – Frittata with a little chopped bacon and halloumi cheese, onion, orange pepper, mushrooms and a steamed courgette. Pear
    Drinks – coffee (with milk), cinnamon tea, fennel tea, coconut water, water with sliced lime

• posted by Scotgran
    on

B 2 scrambled eggs in a portobello mushroom with spinach
    L small chicken wing with soft cheese and mustard coating
    D luxury fish pie from book
    Snacks 2 squares dark chocolate
    Black coffee, green tea and lots of water

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Missay
    The pork casserole sounds good. Would you post the recipe?
    Penny

• posted by Steve and Ei
    on

I have to admit we have done this without really thinking about it too much, on the grounds that if it was too scientific, and thought intensive, we’d give up. Haven’t used any of the recipes from the book, but took in the principles. Just went to a later breakfast (retired – so we can) and an earlier evening meal, and left out lunch. Spinach (or mushroom, pepper, onion) and cheese omelette, a splash of olive oil, and some pine nuts, followed by fruit, a breakfast fave now.
    Meals are mainly the “old” ones but missing out the potato, rice, bread, etc. Bol no spag etc. Chuck in some chickpeas or butter beans. Meat or fish with a load of veg or salad. Chop an apple, some yummy Lidl Greek yoghurt, with their milled linseeds as a topping, for a “pudding”. Tried cauliflower rice – one liked it, one didn’t.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Having a good day, as the scales were kind this morning. Have been keeping track of cals and carbs this week and I think that is helping, but waiting until weigh-in at the end of the week, before relying on this as a real loss.

Today I have had yogurt with preserved black cherries and linseed topping for breakfast. The Ooop! Bread from the Diet Doctor with 3 x slices of pastrami for lunch and this evening butter roast chicken and veggies. Just realised that’s chicken for three evening meals running, so might swap it for a piece of salmon instead, will decide later.

Have to say the Ooops! Bread was really good – nice texture and worked well for a sandwich. Because this was the first time I have made it, I just used one egg (recipe is for three eggs) and cut other ingredient in thirds and as I didn’t have any cream cheese, I used 10% full fat yogurt instead. It work well and didn’t take long to prepare and cook for lunch and made a really nice change actually. Will definitely be making these again and it’s nice to have a recipe that can be easily replicated when I’m away in Turkey, as I’ll be able to take these out and about with me. Recommend others have a look at the recipe.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

B – plain yog/strawberries
    L – half tin salmon/salad
    D – 2 fried eggs, half tom, 1 sm sausage
    Tea to drink/water

• posted by Bill1954
    on

No breakfast
    Lunch was home made soup
    Dinner will be fish pie with cauli mash
    If I have enough cals left I’ll make another coconut flour strawberry cheesecake thingy, If not It’ll be the good old yoghurt and berries again.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Try the cauliflower mash steve and ei, it’s delicious! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Bill – please tell more about the coconut flour strawberry cheesecake thingy.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

๐Ÿ™‚
    OK I made the coconut flour flatbread recipe but used just 1 tbsp of coconut flour and added a pinch of flaked almonds and a drop or two of vanilla essence to the mix. I thought the mixture was still a bit too thick so I added a drop of milk just to thin it down.
    Poured out 2 splodges of mix on a well greased baking tray (use greaseproof paper if you have it as they can really stick), and baked in the oven at 350 / 180 for twenty minutes or until golden brown. I did spread the mixture fairly thin on the tray with the back of a wetted spoon.
    Once out of the oven and cooled I mixed a little creamy goats cheese with ricotta to give a nice smooth spreadable consistency then topped off with sliced strawberries.
    The mix makes 2 and I really enjoyed mine, the OH scoffed the other one which is a recommendation in itself.
    You can of course substitute any fruit or berries that take your fancy.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Not sure what OT stands for but guessing it’s your wife? Are you managing to sneak more of this way of eating into her diet?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Oh I thought I had put OH as in other half ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Yes Judith, it isn’t easy but I’m getting more and more in there.
    Better than that she has ditched the sweets and chocolate and is concentrating on pistacchios so that’s a result. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Are you still improving ? Hope so.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for the recipe Bill, will definitely be trying this at some point. I am gathering recipes to take with me on our trip out to Turkey, this one seems a good one to take, as it’s not complicated and it can be adjusted according to what fruit is available. There should be strawberries a plenty while we are there.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow! Ditching sweets and chocolate for nuts is a massive step in the right direction! My learning curve now includes ‘OH’ !
    Well I have managed to come downstairs and even opened the greenhouse door today so a definite improvement! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Ooh Turkey, when are you going ?
    We’re off to Lara beach in June ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by SunnyB
    on

We go beginning of April returning toward the end of June. Have an apartment out there, so it’s a home-from-home – hence needing some new low-carb/low-cal recipes. We’re round at Didim on the Aegean coast.

• posted by misssay
    on

Hi Penny,
    I have posted the pork casserole recipe in the recipes section under ‘Slow Cooker Morrocan Style Pork Stew.’ Actually I think that spelling should be ‘Moroccan’ , but I’m sure people will still be able to find it!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Decided to swap the chicken for prawns this evening and topped the day out at 780 cals and just under 20g carbs. Only a couple of herbal teas for the rest of the evening. I made some sesame crackers from a recipe I found on the diet doctors site and snacked on a couple of those, as I was a bit peckish this afternoon. They come in a 77cals each, but only 1.5g – very tasty and low carb.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Sunnyb, thanks for the info about the oopsi bread, I might have time to make it tomorrow.

Bill, I think my batter for the flatbreads is just two thick (avoiding the joke at your expense!), as you said before more of a paste, so I maybe need to add some milk or water or something to get thinner ones.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

B blueberries yogurt almonds and flaxseeds
    L chicken celery lettuce one cherry tomato olive oil
    D stir fry turkey breast with 1/2 pack of Chinese stir fry veg
    Snacks half a pear and a small square of cheese mid afternoon as I had an early breakfast and an early lunch today,
    All comes to 691 so may have some yogurt later but not hungry at the moment and feeling tired so will go to bed early before the evening munchies come on!

• posted by Catgirl
    on

B – spinach and pea omlette, 180 calls, could be eaten cold as packed lunch or taken to work for break time if in a hurry

L – Spanish chickpea and spinach soup with chorizo, really tasty and very filling, again good for work, 210 caps

T – we were going to have the foil baked fish but after lunch felt full and couldn’t face another main meal so went ‘off piste’ for the first time (scary) and had cottage cheese, coconut flour flatbreads (added some water as the mix was thick, came out lovely and light and fluffy) celery, baby tomatoes, and cucumber, 388 cals.

All came to 778

Not been hungry at all today, tried to download the Aussie app as suggested previously to track cals and carbs but not recognised by my iPad!

Onwards and upwards and ready for another new day tomorrow with blueberry and green tea shake in the fridge for brekkies.

• posted by misssay
    on

Breakfast: Home made yogurt with raisins

Lunch: Salad of romaine lettuce, rocket, cooked red pepper, cherry toms, olives, jalapenos, pork, cheddar, creme fraiche, dried chilli and garlic

Dinner: Pan fried mackerel with caramalised lime half, carrot, coconut, chilli, spring onion and brazil nut salad with marinaded ginger root and a lime juice and vinegar/fish sauce dressing. This was adapted from an Ottolenghi recipe and was very, very good (as long as you like ginger!) Rocket to fill the plate!

Snack: Avocado half

Water and one tea with milk.

Calories are over today (1063), partly because when I roughly planned out tonight’s meal, I wrongly assumed mackerel would be similar calories to salmon, but it is a lot more – I suppose because of it being a more oily fish, and partly because of the avocado half. So back on track properly tomorrow… Carbs were 55g

• posted by Rico61
    on

Just found this – inspiring and new ideas springing off the screen. Thanks.

3 stone lost. Several more to go.

B – 2 eggs, spray olive oil, 30 gms broccoli, 3 button mushrooms, hot chilli pepper, tomato omelette
    L – miso soup, m& s mini tin of Alaskan salmon + sauerkraut
    D – chicken breast, broccoli, fine green beans, cherry toms, beetroot, cucumber lettuce – dressing of mustard & balsamic

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Rico61 3 stone!!!
    That is incredible, you must be really proud of yourself, well done.
    If any new starter needs any motivation, this is the only post they need to read.
    I only hope I can emulate you eventually.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

3 stone – incredible! Im afraid my meals aren’t nearly as exotic sounding as some on here!
    B – yoghurt and 10 black cherries
    L – 2 scrambled eggs (started eating and felt really sick so only ate about half)
    D – 2 slices boiled ham/small salad

Tea/water

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow rico, THREE stones!!!! Well done!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well done rico61, you are certainly flying the flag! Definitely an inspiration to the rest of us.

My meals today:

Breakfast – yogurt, blueberries, ground linseed topping, mixed seeds and psyllium husk
    Lunch – 75g of king prawns, dusted with coconut flour, hot paprika and sesame seeds, fried in 15g butter, squeeze of lemon (thanks for the idea Bill)
    Dinner – the chicken I didn’t have yesterday, cavolo nero, asparagus and mini sweetcorn (if cals/carbs permit)

Water and herbal teas – talking of which, time to put the kettle on!

• posted by misssay
    on

Fantastic loss Rico. Well done.

Today’s food for us:

Breakfast: A mix of Greek and home made yogurt with cooked raspberries

Lunch: Salad of romaine lettuce, cherry toms, rocket, jalapeรฑos, basil, olives, cooked orange pepper, celery, smoked ham, cottage cheese, two slices choirzo, mustard-y dressing, a plum

Dinner: Butternut squashetti with bolognaise sauce, cheddar, half an apple

Snack: One ounce brie

Water, black coffee

Cals 860. Carbs 64g. Hmmm maybe a bit high as I am aiming for 40 -50g carbs ‘ ish That plum and half an apple come to 18.5g by themselves.

• posted by Lolo
    on

Fab weight loss Rico! Well done!

I’ve had a night out tonight – but made some still kept the plan under control (apart from the slimline tonic, wasn’t so slimline!) but anyway… Good to have a night off!
    B – blueberry and spinach smoothie
    L – salad, toms, cucumber, seeds & olive oil
    D – (out) Breaded squid, salad, asparagus & Parmesan.
    With drinks – 1150, c 88, s 29

I’m good with that for a night out ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

• posted by Rico61
    on

Thanks. I feel like I have made some good progress. 22 stone when I started and down to under the 19 mark now. This after flailing about November till mid January with days & nights off for Christmas, New Year etc. I also had a setback with a chest infection, feeling sorry for myself and dishonesty/cheating on cals. I have upped my walking etc. from minimal dog pees to on a good day doing 5 miles all in – weather dependant/ work requirements being limiting factors.

So today I ate/will eat;

B -2 eggs, a tomato, a chilli pepper, few little mushrooms, leftover broccoli + a tsp of Tabasco omelette (same everyday during 800 cal phase)
    L – Polish ham slices + sauerkraut + a tomato + Miso soup
    D – chicken breast & some salady bits with a mustard & Balsamic dressing. 750ish Cals. I will play about at tea time to finalise what exactly I will use as salad. I have cooked broccoli, fine beans, cauliflower & ratatouille in the fridge and I like to throw in 30 to 50 g’s of chickpeas or similar if cals allow

I walk to & from work – lunch time 20 minutes walk with dog and ordinary comfort breaks for my Border Terrier in the park.,

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Rico isn’t it lovely to drop a number in the stones column! But you have already seen that happen 3 times! Amazing! Way to go ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

B – none
    L – 2 scrambled eggs with butter
    A pinch of sliced almonds
    D – salmon fillet, avocado, broccoli, cauli, baby sweetcorn all steamed and served with butter.
    I managed to pick up a low fat yoghurt yesterday by mistake so instead of strawbs with yoghurt for supper (if I bother) I will have strawbs with coconut oil.

• posted by misssay
    on

Today’s food:

Breakfast: Greek yogurt and raspberries

Lunch: Ate this very late, as spent most of the morning and some of the afternoon in bed with a migraine. The only thing I could face when I surfaced was: microwaved egg and cream cheese with nutmeg and raisins – whisked up and cooked until set, it is like bread and butter pudding without the bread! A dollop of creme fraiche on top.

Dinner: Veg curry, two small coconut and besan flour spicy wraps, hard boiled egg, sour cream, onion, lime, tomato and pomegranate salad, with fresh coriander, half an apple

Drinks: water, one tea with milk, buttermint teas, mango and cinnamon tea

Cals: 845, Carbs: 53

• posted by Allychat
    on

B – cafe latte made with teaspoon coffee & 100ml full cream milk – nothing else as didnt feel hungry.

L – Salad – 35g Quinoa, 65g kumara, 50g pork fillet, 60g Avocado, 5ml lemon juice, 40g cucumber, 1/2 cup lettuce, 30g celery, 50g roasted red pepper.

D – 100g Grilled Fresh salmon fillet (skin on), 25g grilled fresh asparagus, 60g grilled leek, 65g kumara, 50g roasted ted pepper, 5ml olive oil, 20 ml lemon juice

Snack – 45g dried seedless prunes

Calories total: 768

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thought I’d post on this thread again, to bring it back into circulation, so that it those just starting out might see it.
    So anyway, today I had:
    B – yogurt, raspberries, blueberries and chia and flax topping
    L – a deli platter of smoked salmon, chirizo, chicken, olives, and a small piece of Italian cheese (name of which escapes me)
    D – a stir fry of bacon, chicken, baby sweetcorn, spring onion and kale, good dash of lemon juice and a hefty sprinkle of hot paprika

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Yesterday :
    B: greek yoghurt with sprinkling of pumpkin seeds and milled flax seed and unsweetened apple sauce
    L: bacon and avocado lettuce cups
    D: fritatta (onion, chilli, sweet pepper and cheese ) with green salad

Today
    B: yoghurt with flax and pumpkin seeds and a few raspberries
    L fritatta (other half from yesterday )
    D: baked salmon with chilli,garlic, ginger and soy sauce served on courgetti

• posted by Scotgran
    on

B no carb Bircher
    L small packet(20g) cheddar, handful mixed unsalted nuts half a kids pack sliced Apple.
    D Heck burger on portobello mushroom, salad.
    To drink, lots of water 1black coffee 2 tea with milk.
    Total calls 725 Carbs 26

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Time to join in as I’m on week 3 now…

Yesterday :
    Yoghurt with summer fruit berries
    Mackerel in tomato sauce
    Liver & bacon with cauliflower, sprouts & broccoli

Today :
    Yoghurt with summer fruit berries
    Frittata (bacon, kale, onion & peppers)
    HM chilli with cauliflower, sprouts & broccoli

• posted by misssay
    on

Today:

Breakfast: One egg, cream cheese, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, raisins, microwaved until set, with a spoon of sour cream and a sprinkle of xylitol

Lunch: Cream cheese dip with 3 celery sticks, 4 cherry toms, Greek yogurt with cooked raspberries,

Dinner: Stir fry with ginger, garlic, red pepper, mange tout, courgette, shallots, lemongrass, basil, coriander, tomatoes and a squirt of lime juice, plus chill beef strips, (fried with chilli and then dipped in beaten egg and a mix of coconut and besan flour, with salt, chilli powder, black pepper, oven baked until golden and crispy)

I was trying to achieve something similar to a chilli beef-strip dish that our local Chinese does. The taste was great, although the coating was a bit dry, but once tossed in a bit of lemon juice and mixed into the stir fry, it moistened up but didn’t go soggy. Delicious!

Snacks: One slice beef with gherkin, half an apple

Drinks: water, two teas with milk, buttermint tea, one coffee with cream

Cals: 856. Carbs:49g

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Missay I like your idea of chilli beef. I’m going to try it ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Catgirl
    on

It sounds fabulous will also be trying it, any idea how many calories for that meal please? ,
    I’ve made the melon, spinach and blueberry shake for breakfast, it looks like swamp water but smells ok, proof of the pudding will be in the morning!

• posted by misssay
    on

Hashimoto and Catgirl, if was very good. I was going to include a small picture, but apart from the recipe section I can’t see any way of adding a picture, for example as an attachment to a post?

Catgirl, the calories tonight were 275. I used one small Tesco frying steak and just over half a tablespoon of each of the two flours, less than half an egg, plus the veg etc. and a few squirts of olive oil to start the frying. I would usually use more fat to fry, but calories were a bit tight today! I have just notice I typed ‘tomatoes’ in my post – that should have said ‘tomato puree’ – a teaspoon each.

Swamp water, hehe, just as long as it isn’t Swamp Thing!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi missay, add it to the recipe section – it is a recipe! – then we can all find it easily and give it a try ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Yesterday was chicken stew for lunch and prawn omelette for dinner.
    Finished the day with 3 strawberries sliced with Greek yoghurt and sprinkled with a tsp of milled linseed.
    This was a concious effort at reducing the carbs even further and increasing the fat levels a bit.
    Fluid intake over the day was about two and a half litres.

Please log in or register to post a reply.