What have you eaten today?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Breakfast
    Two egg omelette with flax seed and strawberries
    Lunch
    Salad leaves, tomatoes, French dressing, 25g smoked salmon, hard boiled egg
    100 g Provamel soya yogurt with 29 g blueberries
    And 5 g walnuts
    Snack
    Small Apple and 5 g almonds
    Dinner
    60 g chicken with Mediterranean veg. ( slow cooker) with kale and cabbage
    Home made soya yogurt with one large strawberry, 20 g blueberries and 5 g sunflower seeds.
    Penny.

Penny

• posted by carommartin
    on

Thanks. It’s prob better to start like that until you get a feel for the size of portions. I am so used to cutting out the fat – have been doing that all my life and still ended up with heart disease. Made a good start today – porridge made with water is very low in calories but I do miss the treacle! Blueberries are not quite the same!

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Just for today I’ve had my biggest meal first for breakfast and it’s really filled me up.
    Breakfast: small tin baked beas, fried egg, one grilled sausage
    Lunch: lettuce/tom/cucumber/ half tin salmon
    Tea: Tin tomato soup
    Plus cups of tea and 2L water.
    (Blood sugars been dropping all week – fbs today was 7 – lowest in years for me!!)

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I have been measuring portions, calorie counting and recording them all in a spreadsheet. Thought this was advisable until I get the hang of what the proper portion sizes look like.

Yesterday I had
    B/fast – 100g full fat Turkish yogurt with 12 g raspberries and 4g cacao and flax sprinkle (Bioglan Superfood)
    Lunch – pancake made with one egg, 10g coconut flour and flax and pumpkin seed sprinkle, topped with 10g shaved Manchego and some full fat yogurt
    Dinner – small pan fried salmon portion with a creamy mushroom sauce, broccoli and flower sprouts

Today, tomorrow and Saturday I have to be mega careful, as we are eating out both tomorrow and Saturday nights – have to admit to being a bit scared! So today I have had just 100g yogurt with 4g of ground linseed and gojo berry sprinkle. Lunch might be just miso soup, depending how hungry I am. Tonight will be a couple of small lean belly pork pieces with a lentil side. Hoping to keep the calories for the day well within the 800, so that I have some scope tomorrow evening.

• posted by susieq
    on

I have also been weighing everything as I don’t trust myself with portion control! I used myfitnesspal to record everything. Today I’m having:
    breakfast: 100g full fat yogurt with 100g of blueberries/blackberries and 10g of mixed seeds/linseed
    lunch: 2 scrambled eggs with a couple of large flat mushrooms
    dinner: salmon fishcake with large mixed salad and oil/balsamic dressing

Further to earlier posts, cinnamon in warm milk is delicious and I read somewhere that cinnamon is good for reducing blood sugar, if consumed regularly – not sure how true it is but who cares, it’s yummy!

Had to ditch the morning porridge as too many carbs for me but just as happy with the full fat yogurt with various berries (I have bags of them in the freezer) or a tsp of almond butter with seeds or nuts.

Struggling a bit with getting in enough fluids but, having measured my cups and glasses, know I need to be having 10 drinks (non alcoholic!) a day. Trying to have a glass of water before every meal, which helps fill me up too.

We went out on Tuesday to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Skipped lunch to give me extra cals for dinner and stuck to a tomato and mozzarella starter with olive oil dressing, steak and salad with mushrooms – it really helped that we went to an Italian restaurant but managed to avoid the pasta!

• posted by susieq
    on

Further to the discussion about what milk to use, I use Koko dairy free coconut milk with added calcium. I previously used skimmed milk and really don’t notice the difference – apart from the benefits I’ve had from reducing the dairy I eat; just the morning yogurt now. I use it for my husband too but he hasn’t yet noticed the change – I won’t tell him yet!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi suesieq

Your info on your meal out is encouraging, as this is something I am doing as well, but two days running. I am hoping that by saving some calories today, Friday and Saturday, this will not impact too much, especially as the scales were kind this morning! When eating out, I am determined to keep all consumed low carb – except for a small glass of wine maybe. Tomorrow is an Indian meal, so I am thinking tandoori chicken and cauliflower bhaaji. Saturday might be harder, but I know the portion sizes where we are eating are sensible and I’m reasonably confident I can choose something that won’t mess with the low carb thing.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi sunnyB that spreadsheet will come in very handy for future meal planning as you have already done all the work of counting the calories and full daily meal plans – way to go gal! 🙂

• posted by Scotgran
    on

B poached egg and half an avocado, sprinkled with chilli flakes, delicious and very filling.
    L salad leaves, cucumber and sprinkle of seeds(not had it yet,still quite full, hope it’s enough)
    D cottage pie with white bean mash topping instead of husbands potato version. Broccoli.
    Really working at the drinks, tap water, sparkling water, green tea, red bush tea.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

Hi Susieq,
    What did you use in the salmon fish cake in place of potato?

• posted by susieq
    on

Ok, time to ‘fess up. The salmon fishcake is a shop bought one and does have some potato in it but they are scrummy and not too bad on the calorie front. I would like to find a recipe so I can make a batch to keep in the freezer, if anyone has any suggestions.

Have also discovered Dandelion, Burdock and Hawthorn tea bags by Heath and Heather – got mine in Holland and Barrett – and they are delicious. They have 10 cals in each, so not cal free, but they have a lovely flavour for a herbal tea.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

Susieq I quite like the white bean mash, use it a couple of times a week wonder if that would work in fish cakes. Reason for asking is I got a great price reduction on fresh salmon and I’ve poached it all, getting sick of the sight, so I froze the rest and salmon fish cakes might do the job of using it up. If it works I’ll let you know.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi scotgran – lucky you, all that salmon. You can make fishcakes without the potato – chop some onion up and put onion and salmon into a blender with your choice of herbs/spices/seasoning, work to a paste. Then whip 2 egg whites into stiff peaks and gently stir your salmon mixture into the egg whites.
    Fry as usual.
    Hope that helps!! 🙂

• posted by Susansilver
    on

Following the four week plan in book and on week one with a few substitutions eg pistachios for hazelnuts because I can’t always get all the ingredients . Still it still works . Tonight’s dinner was spinach and pea omelettes. I added a little salad and grilled apricots with raspberries can. Felt fuller than previous nights . Had green tea with dash of apple juice 1/2 teaspoon each of stevia and cinnamon . Very soothing . Perhaps I might sleep tonight 😀

• posted by katylou
    on

HI, love this thread. I am in week 4 and a stone lighter already. I love to see my fridge full of delicious looking veg and healthy food. I don’t have any health problems at the moment, but have had an incredibly stressful two years and just getting back on top of my wellbeing. I feel so much more well since I started eating like this.
    Yesterday
    B – scrambled eggs with a bit of smoked salmon
    L – leek and lemon soup and an apple with a bit of natural yoghurt
    D – baked salmon fillet with sesame pak choi

Today
    B – green shake (celery, kale, carrot, apple and ginger)
    L – courgette, feta and raspberry salad from the book ( I was sceptical but it was delicious)
    D – baked aubergine with tomato sauce and a bit of mozzarella

• posted by misssay
    on

Hi Carommartin,

I weigh/measure practically everything, or check it online or in either MFP or Sparkpeople. My first job when I get home from food shopping is to enter every new buy into the app in my favourites, so it’s easy to find again! I am concentrating on the calorie count, and the carb count seems to be taking care of itself! Like Hashimoto, I like experimenting with recipes, changing things around to suit what we fancy, (and what we have in the house!) I confess to sometimes ‘guestimating’ my milk in my tea/coffee, but it doesn’t seem to have caused any problems so far.

• posted by misssay
    on

Oops – just realised I was still on first page of the thread, and have replied to an older post, thinking it was for today. Oh well… brain fog from work today I suspect!

• posted by BarryHyphen
    on

Breakfast: 1 220g Tin Baked Beans
    mid morning snack : Long black coffee with full cream (cream not milk) the fat takes the edge off your appetite
    Lunch:1 tin of chilli tuna, some olives and a tomato(very good for men worried about prostate a tomato a day)
    Afternoon : a 1 inch square of cheese and some olives
    Dinner: some grilled chicken and steamed brocolli

• posted by misssay
    on

Breakfast: Greek yogurt and mixed berries

Lunch: Salad of lettuce, tomatoes, gherkins, olives, pickled jalapenos, celery, basil, hummous, mint, sour cream

Afternoon: A bowl of cauliflower, courgette and lentil soup with white and black pepper

Dinner: Tuna fishcakes, made with roasted cauliflower and celeriac, shallot, garlic, ginger, basil lemongrass and an egg, with courgette and broccoli and a garlic and chilli sauce

Snack: Half a Pink Lady Apple

Water, two coffees with milk

Calories: 810

Reading that back, I find it is quite amazing to get what is basically 4 meals and a snack for around 800 calories!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Bill- you have your breakfast 10 hours early!!😆
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Susieq
    Eventually I got used to the 10 drinks, now it’s not hard.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Caro
    You could put butter or cream on the porridge.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Today I had
    Breakfast
    Boiled egg
    25 g strawberries, 25 g blueberries with 10 ml oatly cream, 30 ml almond milk, 10 g flax seed
    Lunch
    25 g ham
    Boiled egg
    Salad leaves
    4 cherry tomatoes
    French dressing 1/2 teaspoonful.
    100 g home made soya yogurt
    20g blueberries
    5g hazel nuts
    Dinner
    130 g cod fried in 2 tsp olive oil
    Kale
    50 g peas
    80 g home made soya yogurt
    40 g strawberries
    29 g raspberries
    5 g almonds.

But next week I’m going to india!! For a wedding!
    We ll see how that works out. 🤔
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Today:
    Breakfast
    Strawberries 49 g, raspberries 29 g, flax seed milled 10 g, home made soya yogurt 100 g, almond milk 30 ml
    Lunch
    Smoked salmon 30 g, 2 hard boiled eggs, salad leaves 50g, cucumber, French dressing 1/2 tsp
    Snack
    Home made veg soup with gram flour drop scones
    Dinner
    Lamb chop, kale, grilled tomatoes.
    Home made yogurt, blueberries, raspberries.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Caro
    Some people do and some just follow the principles.
    Penny

• posted by Gail c
    on

Hello Bill
    I have read your messages yesterday and would like to send healing thoughts to your daughter and wish you all well, at this stressful time in your lives.
    Gail

• posted by Janet1973
    on

B: Soya milk latte
    L: Coconut flatbread, Greek yoghurt with raspberries and dessert spoon full coconut oil
    D: 2 Quorn sausages, cauli and carrot mash with butter and cheese

No idea how many calories but under 50 carbs.
    Fabulous!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

From what I’ve been reading heart disease may also be sugar related.
    Penny

• posted by Scotgran
    on

B no carb Bircher
    L quite pleased, met friends in pub for lunch, chose burritos, peeled off the wrap, didn’t eat any of the nachos, felt full with the chicken, pinto bean and brown rice filling, ate the avo salsa and sour cream.
    D poached egg and smoked cod

• posted by misssay
    on

Breakfast: Greek yogurt with mixed berries

Lunch: Salad with lettuce, toms, gherkins, olives, basil, green pepper, celery, blue cheese and beef, horseradish dressing

Dinner: Tofu and veg stir fry. Veg: onion, yellow pepper, courgette and mange tout, sauce for tofu marinade and in stir fry: fish sauce, peanut butter, lime juice, garlic, ginger, tahini, soy sauce and chilli flakes, with a chick pea, garlic and fresh coriander wrap

Snack: half an apple

Water, tea and coffee with splashes of milk

Calories: 821
    Carbs: 45g

• posted by BexM
    on

I’m just on the verge of starting this and am fine with breakfast and lunch but am a little concerned about dinners – not being a particularly good or adventurous cook! Also short of time most evenings due to family commitments (clubs etc). Does anyone have any ideas for quick and easy dinners that won’t make fall at the first hurdle? Thanks..

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Missay
    I m keen on knowing every calorie too.
    I wouldn’t trust the info on MFP though, it’s crowd sourced and sometimes wrong. I’ve made my own list on MFP on “my foods”, checking everything against Calorieking, which I’ve found reliable. It’s a bit of work but once done you ve got all those details. ( tho I found ‘blueberries’ kept disappearing off my list. I put them in as ‘blue berries’ – then they didn’t disappear- weird) I also put in the fat, carbs and protein so I can see how I’m doing with that too.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi BexM
    Welcome!
    Re easy dinners. I’d suggest getting a slow cooker if you haven’t got one. £19.99 from Crockpot on Amazon.
    At lunchtime you chuck in meat, veg etc and a small amount of water and leave it on til you get back, when it’s wonderfully cooked. It uses the same amount of electricity as a light bulb.
    I make chicken with Mediterranean type veg, or lamb or beef stew. It’s a wonderful invention!
    Penny

• posted by Matrika
    on

Hi, I am new and am totally clueless about calories.
    Loved the nic chubbypenguin!

today i am going to eat brunch at 1 pm
    2 beef sausages that are gluten free and made by my lovely grass-fed-beef only butcher around the corner.
    fried with coconut oil
    1 red pepper
    one large tomatoe

For dinner I’m having greek full fat yoghurt with blueberries and rhubarb and cinnamon. No added sweetening.

I have no idea about the calories and am not sure where to find them but will go looking.
    Here it is insanely hot (we are having a heat wave in Sydney) and I can barely think, let alone plan what I will eat. 🙂

• posted by BexM
    on

Thanks Penny – that is a good tip and will definitely help with time issues in the evenings. Feeling more positive about it all today so here goes..!

• posted by Honey Badger
    on

Was feeling the need to indulge slightly this morning after a lean day yesterday.

1 x Portobello Mushroom
    2 x Slices Pancetta
    1 x Poached Egg
    1 x sprinkle of Cheddar Cheese

Calories = 358

Bring on Soup for lunch and Salad for dinner.

• posted by Honey Badger
    on

Tried a great chicken recipe I found on Tip Hero for a Slow Cooker. It was equal parts (about 1/5th pint each) of Olive Oil and Lemon juice with (1 TSP) Oregano, Garlic, Onion Powder stirred together as a marinade and then poured all over the chicken, throw in some veg (their recipe used potato) I used Carrots, peppers an leeks. Cook on low 8 hours, high 4 hours. Ate half the chicken (1 breast) and blended the rest into vegetable soup for lunch the next day.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Matrika, if you have an apple device you can download the Australian easy diet diary free. The icon looks like a blue spiral bound notebook with a pear on it.
    You can track your weight loss and energy goals on it, enter recipes, look up food values and keep a daily record of your meals and snacks.
    It’s quite easy to use once you’ve played around with it, and tried all the features.
    Very useful, I would find it hard to keep track of my cals, carbs and protein without it.

• posted by Shrinkydinkyman
    on

After drinking four pints of dark ale last evening on top of an Aduki bean chilli with a small portion of brown rice. (That certainly cleared the pipes!)
    I decided this morning as the scales had remained stable, I would make some coconut flour pancakes. Which I had with blueberry’s and a little peanut butter (palm oil free, got to look after the Orangutans!) That was at 9am when it was still foggy in the UK.
    After a walk into town (Lewes) with the dogs to pick up my boots from repair shop, and a visit to the hardware store. Came home and ate two spicy bean burgers (recipe from the book) with some chopped Celery Tomato and Cucumber drizzled in homemade Olive oil and Balsamic vinegar dressing. Also knocked up a vegetable soup for work on Monday, to save throwing them on the compost heap.
    This evening the wife wants to treat me to an Indian meal.
    Will probably have Tandoori Chicken with some Brinjal bhaji (Aubergine) & Bhindi bhaji (Okra) also know as ladies fingers. And a glass of wine.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

B variation on blueberry green tea shake, made it with lemon ginger tea and added strawberries.
    L lettuce cups with bacon and half an avo from the book
    D small steak and I’ll,make the creme fraiche peppercorn sauce with pink peppercorns. Salad. As its Saturday I’ll have a gin and tonic and a glass of wine. Ooh what a devil I am.

• posted by susieb
    on

Thanks for posting your total calories and carb grammes, Missay – that’s very helpful!

• posted by susieb
    on

Yesterday:

Brunch: 2 medium eggs, microwaved scrambled with 20g dollop of smoked salmon Philidelphia, 1/2 medium (90g) tomato

mid-pm snack: 100g greek yoghurt, 62g blueberries
    1 coffee with 2 tsps whipping cream
    small amount of homemade coleslaw for something to crunch

Dinner: 150g trimmed sirloin steak with 100g butternut squash ‘oven chips’, pepper sauce made with 1tbs creme fraiche, and a little beef oxo cube and dijon mustard and 50g mushrooms and 1/2 grilled tomato (90g)

Totals before the wine: 746 cals, 43g carbs
    250ml glass Rioja: 190 cals, 3g carbs

Only 11g of fibre, though. I’m really struggling to get the fibre in. I can get 20g in within the 800cals with beans, veggies, but not within 50g carbs. Any tips, please?!

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Hi Susieb!

A tablespoon of psyllium husk in some water or coconut water before breakfast or last thing at night will give you a fibre boost. Holland & Barrett stock it as Regucol and it’s on offer at the moment in store.

: )

• posted by Leeanne
    on

B: yoghurt/3 tbs tinned fruit cocktail
    L: 3 sl roast lamb, 3tbs kale, 2 tbs peas,
    3 tbs gravy, 1tbs mint sauce
    T: 600ml knorr crofters veg soup
    Cups tea, cups twynings strawberry tea and water

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Ate out both Friday night and Saturday night, but kept calories during both days very low, to allow for extra calories in the evenings. So net result was, having totted up calories consumed each day as best as I could, there was an over indulgence of 200 calories over the 1600 cals for the two days – i.e. had consumed 1800 (well just a smidge under, but I’m rounding up). Have to say I am reasonably happy with this, but the scales will give me their verdict tomorrow (didn’t brave them this morning!).

Biggest sin was two churros, which I feel really guilty about because essentially they are all carb, plus two small glasses of red wine and a whisky. Just hoping I’m not going to be too heavily punished when I weigh myself.

Back to it properly today, bacon, fried egg and canned toms this morning and nothing until dinner tonight, which will be a pork steak and veggies. Although I have to say right now, I’m not hungry at all!

Finally, I too am using psyllium husk and it really helps to boost fibre and improve bowel issues on this diet. Be sure to drink plenty of water with it though.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Mateika- welcome!
    You ll find so much from reading these forums.
    A good place to look up calories is Calorieking.com.
    A lot of us track them on MyFitnessPal app. Re the sausages. You really need to know how much carbs are in them. Maybe your butcher could tell you what’s in them?
    A lot of us try to keep under 50 grams of carbs a day, some even less.
    Good luck with the diet!
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Today:
    Breakfast- 100 g Provamel almond yogurt, 20 g strawberries, 40 g raspberries, 10 g flax seed, 30 ml Almond milk
    Lunch- home made veg soup with one teaspoon peanut butter added – 10 g
    Boiled egg,salad leaves, 4 cherry tomatoes, 1/2 tsp French dressing
    Home made yogurt 80 g with 20 g strawberries and 5 g hazelnuts
    Dinner- slow cooker Mediterranean veg with 60 g chicken thigh.
    100 g Provamel almond yogurt with 45 g Sharon fruit and 5 g almonds.
    Snack. 1 tsp peanut butter.
    Only 3,700 steps but 4 hours digging the allotment !
    Well under my max target of 50 g carbs, only 30 g. 729 cals.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

B Yogurt with blueberries
    L Half an avo mashed with 1tbs Philadelphia cheese in lettuce cups
    D roast chicken, cauliflower, broccoli
    Snacks a little bit of white Stilton cheese, a handful of nuts and a glass of wine.
    Checked on Easy Diet Diary, just over at 890. Will ease up in the week, no wine no nuts.

• posted by Peteinthebayou
    on

Today
    B – 2 egg omelette
    L – Chicken salad
    D – Chicken salad and avocado
    Water – 2lt

Exercise – 40 mins rowing + 8000 steps

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Today I have had:
    B – yogurt, raspberries and ground linseed topping
    L – gem lettuce, spread with crab pate and topped with a sprinkle of mixed seeds
    D – two small chicken thighs (roasted), cavo nero and green beans
    Plenty of water and herbal tea.

Please log in or register to post a reply.