Lightweight/heavyweight!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Janet1973
    Ah thank you, she is interested in seeing the book, she is a very fit 40 odd year old runs and cycles every day swims a couple of times a week yet can’t shift her baby belly! They do drink a lot of red wine, her and her husband, so I’m sure she will want to try doing the diet, she is like me tried every diet going lost the weight then gained again plus some, so we might have another convert on our hands.
    She also wants us to help her clear a bit of stuff out of her garage, so, a bit of excercise in the mix too, really looking forward to the trip.

• posted by Rob
    on

Good morning all,

How bad was Easter for every one?? ( in the diet sense not the religious )

Eggs every where, hot cross buns…. Nightmare..

Was in Tenby yesterday….and it isn’t until you start your diet or on the diet ( I describe the BSD as the diet to my friends ) that you notice all the bakeries, coffee shops, chip shops, pubs, restaurants , sweet shops, greggs, …etc…they are every where and they were packed with people!! But I was good I bought an apple ( the biggest in the veg shop ) and it tasted lush!

I think I am over the diet urge, as the cravings have gone but I still get the gold fish bowl over the head feeling ( every thing is monotone and I am feel numb )

I read some of the posts and people who are losing the weight and getting in to the trousers/skirts that have been locked away ….excellent ))))

Whilst walking my girls ( dogs in layman terms ) this morning I realised why I don’t understand food,

I never made a meal until I was 26 ( every job I had from 15 and 9 months was made for me ( before that my late mum ) I mean the army,…if they didn’t make it in the cookhouse, then they issued us ration packs , the fire service…a chef! Only late last year I found out there was cheese in cheese cake!!!! Couldn’t believe it ( watched come dine with me) and carrots in carrot cake!!!!

All ,y cooking has been based on stock from a cube, bolonasie from a jar, lasagne from tescos / asda….and when I cook meat i cook it as I don’t know when it is done

Now I know basically how to cook ( from the book the diet ) I kind of love it

Could any one list 3 days of good food to eat ( broken down to breakfast, dinner and tea please ) as I am still head shot thinking the menus are set to help the bacteria in the body ( am I right I just couldn’t eat cheesy beans , and steak every day as my body will need other nutrients ??? I have to ditch the avacardo, walnuts…!!

I used to hate peppers but when they are grilled they are quiet nice

In return for anyone’s help I can offer education on physics…since my operations all I have read is physics and anthropology ….so fascinating ( as an example speed of light is 186,000 mile per second, it is constant it doesn’t get faster it starts at that speed!! And what is a light year!!! It’s 6 trillion miles ) any way if anyone wants to know about the stuff I posted I will happily try and answer ( remember I had my spinal op in April and didn’t know anything about science so I am no expert )

The reason why I kind of brought that up because food is a science …we eat for energy, our core temp is approx 98 and we eat to maintain that ( also to move and live ) so when I see people in the know ( doctors, consultants…which are over weight I think what the ek!!!! They know how the body works and the effects bad food has on the body so why??? It’s like dr Mosley says in the book …it’s like putting petrol in the boot!!

And to me the info I received from yourselves , you know far more that anyone I spoken to…some of my friend shrug the diet of as they know best…but then I get a txt / email asking how much weight I have lost….I tell them and they don’t believe me even though hey haven’t seen me for over a week

Some people thinks it’s ok to eat 1900 cal and you won’t put weight on…is this right ( so if burger and chips…mmmmmm is 1200 and a cheese cake is 500 cal I could eat that and still lose weight??? ) I went through 6 months for a having a latte and a cream scone for dinner!!!! And even though I was training I was slowly gaining weight ….. It just doesn’t make sense !!!

What veg are good for you!??… Onions?? Green peas ( jolly green giant peas) turnips and can I have a bowl of porridge every morning??? The Scottish oats ones and if so how much can I have??

Will finish on a question… Has any one ever thought why the Egyptians are not the top people of the world today ( rem they introduced us to arithmetic, algebra,algorithms …etc…they named 2/3 of the planets !! They ruled for over 2500 years and build the tallest structures “pyramids” that was the tallest for approx 4 thousand years ) it’s ok if I get a telling off for diverting from the topic but this is how I get through the day not eating))

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Morning Rob – wow what a post! I’m glad you have spotted that you have always had your meals provided through home, army and fire service. It had occurred to me. One of my brothers would ring at 6 every night to ask a question about cooking his dinner – this was after he left home – it would be things like ‘I want to make a curry but what do you put in first?’ ‘Right, I’m frying the onions and spices but how do I slice a sweet pepper up?’ This was after he got sick of living on a diet of baked beans and cornflakes for months. There is so much to learn when you start out.

As to burger chips cream scone and latte, you already know the answer! The food was completely wrong for you so you put on weight even though you were training!! I know, some people seem to get away with it (they think) just like some people smoke 20 a day and don’t get lung problems (yet). We are not all the same. We don’t all react the same to medicines ( food is a medicine of sorts).

Rob can you list the veg you do like? Then I can work on a plan for you. You would need to ditch things like swede (too starchy) and parsnips (again too starchy) you need to stay at 50 carbs or under. One chocolate muffin has 51.64g of carbs! 1 10″ pepperoni pizza has a whopping 80g of carbs! So you can see the problem!

1 medium egg has half a g of carbs, medium chicken breast has none. celery, tomato, cucumber, lettuce, mushrooms, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and peppers are low carb. Courgettes are also low carb,
    Do you eat fish or chicken? Bacon? (0g) Beef (0g). The recipes in the book are designed to portion the protein so you are not eating too much ( it hinders weight loss)
    Do you like soups? If you do then a stick blender is a really useful tool.
    You’re right about onions, they are good for the gut bacteria, as are leeks and garlic. If you like sauerkraut that is good for you too ( I can’t stand it). Note to self – look up the carbs in courgettes, onions and leeks! Chillies are good for reducing inflammation ( I LOVE them!)

Your comment about overweight doctors made me chuckle. When I smashed my leg a very obese consultant with a massive beer gut told me I needed to lose weight in a very dictatorial way- I’m 5’4″ and weighed 8 and a half stones! You should have seen the faces of the medical students who were with him! One popped backed in to comment on it!!

Don’t worry about going off thread – a few of us have done that!! What is it about you ex army blokes who love to read academic books? My ex army brother is the same – he can’t get enough of history tomes! But I enjoyed your comments on things, Rob.

Please let me know which foods you like and I’ll do a three day plan, but it might come much later today so eat what you would have done on plan today.
    Finally do you eat full fat yoghurt? Cheese? Berries? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Rob
    Judith will soon sort you out !
    I know what you mean about cookhouse food (ex RAF many moons ago)
    It’s is all high carb to provide energy but useless for diets.
    As to veg, a little disagreement, Michael says in the book that above the ground veg is better as it is lower in carbs, but, since day 1 I have used small amounts of swede, carrot, parsnip etc in main meals and especially in soups and stews without any bad side effects. It’s all about counting them in your daily carb intake.
    Another fat doctor story, My OH ( who doesn’t suffer fools gladly) was at the hospital with a view to a knee replacement op.
    The doc who was seeing her was at least as big as her and he made the big mistake of calling her obese.
    I won’t detail the conversation that followed but safe to say he called in a nurse for safety.
    People who live in glass houses etc……..

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Rob, I’ll also send you some ideas over next couple of days but I’ll warn you they might be a bit dull. Judith, you are using the wrong eggs my dear, my box says 0g!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Christi
    I didn’t start counting carbs til week 5. Just hadn’t realised I should, and I wasn’t losing much. So you’re not the only one! I m now on my very last day of 8 weeks. Have lost 12 lb. which is a lot less than many people but still- nearly a stone.
    Dr Mosely says be ambitious, it helps, so aiming for 2 more stone is good. I’m aiming for 16 more lb.
    good luck
    Penny

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Good for your other half, Bill. I’ve come across doctors who I wouldn’t care to take dietary advice from. Physician heal thyself, indeed. I remember donkeys years ago my dad was in hospital following a heart attack – he was told by the doc to give up smoking. The very next day he saw the same doc having a fag. There is such as thing as leading by example.
    Wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of your other half once she’s had her knee op!
    Take care,
    Rose

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Janet, I always thought eggs were 0g of carbs that was what came up when I googled. The tinternet is not always correct! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill I have carrot sticks with hummus and I occasionally add a bit to soups or currys. Just wasn’t sure what Rob meant by turnips. Some people call swedes turnips. My Cornish ex mother in law used to be aghast that I would serve ‘sheep food’ with a sunday dinner! lol. Wasn’t sure whether he only eats certain veg so am awaiting the list!! Oh I wish I had been at the hospital when the doctor said that to your wife!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by orchid
    on

Afternoon Rob. I learned to cook from my Mum, so by the time we got cookery at school (age 13) I was way past the initial lessons – how to make toast – under the grill not in a toaster, how to make tea, cocoa, cocoa versus hot chocolate pro’s and cons!. We also made stock from scratch and compared price to tinned soups which was useful and a lot of baking (it was in Scotland).
    You clearly approach things from a science point of view, as do I. I read everything I can find about a subject until I find all new info is a repeat of what I have already read. I looked on Amazon for books to see if there were any familiar ones, there was a Jamie Oliver one, but some of the negative comments put me off.
    I then remembered about a Delia Smith series from the 90’s – she was given a really hard time about her series on how to cook by other cooks. She started with the basics – how to cook eggs – it was actually a very good series, refresher for those of us who could cook, but getting lazy and for those who never learned to cook at home or at school. I have both the books and still occasionally look them up for timings. One thing about Delia’s recipes is that I have never had a failure from them when I have followed the instructions. They are detailed and logically set out.
    She was now has her own online presence, continuing her campaign on teaching cookery on-line. There are some area not to bother with – bread, rice and pasta etc; but scroll down to the bottom of the link and you will find techniques that you will read about in cookery books all demonstrated. The section on eggs is good – use portobello mushrooms instead of rolls/toast. How to roast a chicken. Other recipes, ignore the potatoes, the rest is fine. There is a good ragout recipe plus freezing instructions in another area. It is worth browsing the sections you will not use just to learn more techniques.
    You also need to be prepared to calculate the carbs and calories per recipe and think about the portions to keep to a good portion size for the diet.
    As Hashimoto says – provide us with some idea of what you like and we can offer some suggestions.
    Have fun with it – it is a whole new topic to explore!
    http://www.deliaonline.com/deliaonline-cookery-school/allvideos.html
    Oh yes – there are also lots of demo’s on YouTube, I would start with Delia then go on YouTube as you will probably get better basics here.
    BWT, my hobby is archaeology and I have been teaching myself/going on courses for the last few years. What I find interesting is not so much why the Egyptians are not ruling us, but how so many nations in that past had their day in the sun. Each had an empire for a while – a century or two then it died. The Romans, the Greeks, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Viking, Spanish, British, Dutch, Belgium etc.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

My go-to cookery books for basics are by Mary Berry, just ignore the baking!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne I have some really old cookery books as well as more recent ones. I am a sucker for cookery books. I do like Delia Smith – and Rose Elliott. I have a huge Jewish cookbook with hundreds of scrummy recipes in. I used to use it to mark Jewish festivals at home ( I am a Christian but let’s face it if it hadn’t been for the Judaic faith where would we all be?). Some of them are great fun – the Feast of Esther, the Feast of Tabernacles etc. The kids loved RE lessons when we did OT stuff and they got to make Haman’s ears biscuits and shake those rattles used now at football matches when the story was told. I still have some very old Bero recipe books – but they are not much use now! I also like the farmhouse kitchen cookery books – old fashioned now but lots of good old recipes in them! Lots of my books are vegetarian as I was a veggie for years – and still eat predominantly veggie food ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I love cookery books – been known to read them in bed๐Ÿ˜ณ

I’ve one of the recent Bero books, but not the old ones.

Used to love Farmhouse Kitchen but don’t have any of the books. Once found a great recipe for an alternative (light) Christmas pudding in the Home and Freezer Digest but lost it years ago. Just as well now!

As I visit Italy every year, I’ve started to buy Gino d’Acampo and Antonio Carluccio. Also got Nigel Slater and Jamie Oliver as well as the Mary Berry and Delia Smith. Even got the Robin Ellis book ‘Coking for Diabetics’.

And (whispers) some Slimming World recipe books๐Ÿ˜ฑ

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Rob

I’ve suggested just one day’s eating below to give you some idea of how eating low carb works. I have not counted any calories here as its not strictly necessary in order to lose weight. I find just counting carbs gives me the freedom to eat until I am full (but you have to stop eating at that point, even if you have food left on your plate. Save it for later).

All grams are for carbs

Breakfast:
    2 good quality sausages eg. Heck from supermarket. – 5.6g
    2 rashers bacon – nil carbs
    A handful of mushrooms – 1g
    Grilled if you wish or fried in butter – nil carbs

Total carbs = 6.6g

Lunch

2 or 3 egg omellette cooked in butter with 50g cheese – 1g
    Mixed leaf salad = 1g

Total carbs = 2g

Dinner

Chicken (however much you think you need) cooked in garlic butter with a little lemon juice, rosemary and basil – 0g
    100g carrots – 7g
    100g broccoli – 7g
    100g cauliflower 7g
    Add butter to cauli – 0g

Total carbs = 21g

Snack
    100g full fat yoghurt – 5g
    100g strawberries – 8g

Total carbs = 13g

Total carbs for day = 43g

2 – 3 litres of water a day
    If you have milk in tea and coffee it is 5g carbs per 100ml
    If you have a full fat latte (the best kind) that’s 15g carbs

Aim for anything up to 50g of carbs a day to achieve fat burning (ketosis)

You will notice that most of the carbs come from the veg and the diary products (but not butter) so you can really fill your meals out with the non-carb foods, no need to ever feel like you are starving.

Porridge = 22g carbs for 40grams with water – that’s a lot of carbs for a very small bowl of porridge!

• posted by Rob
    on

Hi another learning day,
    Just realised if I check my mail box your replies are there, ( I spend ages trawling through the the forums to see if I have had any replies ) so apologies to any one that I have not replied too. Will check mail daily now as I do need the support

Bad day for me today…..one of those days that need comfort eating,,,and I did but it was inform of the fish pie))) didn’t do the topping as I have no idea what that veg is that I was supposed to buy

I like
    Carrots, turnips, sprouts, cabbage, jolly green giant peas, leek ( I am Welsh)))) here’s some more useless infor…what do Wales have daffodils and leeks as their emblem ?? Answer….Saint David during a battle with the Anglo Saxons informed the soldiers to wear the leek in their hat to show who is friend or foe!! The Latin word for leek is the same for leek so when the word spread we used both!!! The war was in year 500) like eggs, steak, chicken, porridge ( please tell me I can eat that??? And if so how much ???) aubergine …well so far every thing in the book ( still sticking to it ) except for walnuts/avacardo

Answer to my previous question …what happened to the Egyptians …rem the next biggest structure after the pyramid ( proven night as the fire that burnt down the Lincoln cathedral can not be incl ) Eiffel Tower!!! Any way the answe is someone said it was the work of the devil to do arithmetic/science!!! So they slowly were over taken in the education dept!!

Will be booking dr appointment tomorrow for the next 2 weeks for bloods and cholesterol test…

Bought scales yesterday))) long way to go tho ((( arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Janet just seen your menu….looking at it, made me feel as if I was in macie d’s thank you)))) squeeeeeeeze/hug but porridge with water yuk won’t being eating that.

Is it ok to drink 2 pints of water day

Orchid…have you read up on the four horse men? It highlights exactly what you just said

Is this the best way to reply to all ? Or individual ones better??

TO ALL……one word to describe why your doing the diet..( love, health, image ??? And 1 word to say how you feel right now…( happy, starving, lethargic , lonely …etc

Mine, health and desolate

• posted by Rob
    on

Hi Janet

Rule is 50 carbs per day

What’s the count for an apple??

Your very kind for doing this

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Rob
    It’s not just calories in and out – carb calories can spike your blood sugar if there’s too much or the wrong sort ( eg sugar) whereas the same no of calories as fat won’t do that. It’s the blood sugar spiking that puts fat round the organs leading to diabetes.
    As for the Egyptians – all such societies rise and fall – the Mesopotamians ( now Iraq/Iran), the Phoenicians, ( Syria), the Greeks, the Romans. No doubt one day the US and Western Europe will be little backwaters!
    Penny

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Rob

Sounds like you’ve had an interesting day. Your mind likes to race doesn’t it lol!

My words would be vanity and optimistic.

I don’t do porridge with water either, I cant remember if that figure included milk too, it might have done. But the point is, porridge is quite high in carbs I’m afraid.

Your posts are fine (and funny) – we often name each other if there is particular conversation we want to flag up so just keep ’em coming.

You need to be drinking as much as you can as it helps to de-tox and is needed to keep your bowels working. Tea, coffee and soft drinks (sugar free) do count towards your water but of course actual water is best if you can. 2 – 3 litres a day.

Go easy on the hugs, I suspect you might be quite strong!

• posted by Rob
    on

20!!!!!! Arghhhhh thought fruit was good.

I ate an apple the size of a house yesterday

Ouch(( gutted

Going on the link now…..

Was skipping lunch and having an apple (

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Yes, not good news I’m afraid. Of course fruit is better than cake. But veg are better than fruit. Of all the fruits, berries are the lowest, hence the berries with yoghurt which a lot of people have here.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Vegetables are a lot more appetising with butter, olive oil and/or cheese, all of which you can pretty much est freely when you are only counting carbs.

• posted by Rob
    on

Thank you for the link can’t believe it, when I was on a diet ( the sort of diet you do when you do it for 3 days…I would eat 4 bananas in a row!!! ) wow the education on food is complex

Good 2 words)) thanks for sharing)

Another hug squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze

Do you think the food industry are like the pharmaceutical industry ?? ( my uncle says the biggest crooks are the ones who wears a suit ) I kind of agreed but then I never saw El Chapo in a suit

My uncle/aunt said to me today that I am starting to look healthier, look stressed but healthier) only see them every 4 months so please that I had good feed back ( what a pun )))

• posted by pmshrink
    on

I’ve been looking at diabetes.co.uk. They are in favour of low carb for diabetics and have free downloadable recipe books, divided by types eh vegan, Italian, Indian etc. Which I downloaded. But unfortunately they seem to be low carb AND low fat – hopeless. But there are good recipes, just add fat!
    Penny

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

I’ve had a pretty successful 8 weeks whilst eating porage for breakfast most days.
    25g porage and made with water (try it – it really is OK – add a little cinnamon, half a dozen raisins and a 1/4 teaspoon of honey)
    It must be proper rolled oats (as in Quaker “Old Fashioned”) and not instant.
    The carbs are slow release and keep hunger away until luchtime.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

The food industry are the biggest crooks of all. They’ve had the whole world duped! Hopefully the next time you see your aunt and uncle you will be looking both healthier and chilled out with all your new food knowledge!

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Rob, my two words health and happy.
    It will get better, especially when you start seeing results!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Rob, sorry it’s late but I had seen Janet had sent you a plan for a day;

To answer the oats longing;
    Breakfast – Atholl Brose. …Total = 332 calories, 30.19g carbs.

Toast 1 oz rolled oats , toast on foil under the grill or in a dry frying pan then cool. (oats = 110 calories, 18.79g carbs)
    Pour a pot of Fage Greek Yoghurt (not the 0%) into a bowl (190 cals, 8g carbs)
    Stir in the cooled oats and 2 oz raspberries (32 calories, 3.4 g carbs.

Lunch: (packed lunch?) total = 408 calories, 1.77 carbs

If you need a snack Aldi do little packs of nuts ( by the tills) 153 calories, 2.71 carbs.
    That would take your total carbs for the day to 41.09
    The days calories would then be 1174 calories.

If you have tea or coffee remember to add the carbs, cals for that too.

2 boiled eggs, (140 cals, 0.98g carbs)
    Ioz cheddar cheese (113 cals ,0.4 g carbs.
    2 slices deli ham (153 calories, 0 carbs)
    1quarter of a lettuce (2 calories, 0.39g carbs)

Dinner: total = 281 calories, 6.42 carbs

6oz piece of cod (140 calories, 0g carbs) ( wrap in foil, flavour to taste – e.g )soy sauce, lemon juice, ginger, chilli
    4oz cauliflower (28 calories, 6.02 g)
    1 oz grated cheese (113 cals, 0.4g carbs)
    Sprinkle cheese over the cauli

Total of meals = 1021 calories, 38.38 carbs

Drink 2 to 3 litres of water, herbal teas.

You can see just 1 oz oats gives a big carb hit, but the recipe is delicious. You can make double or triple the quantity and store the extra in the fridge. It would also make a good packed lunch. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you need a snack Aldi do little packs of nuts ( by the tills) 153 calories, 2.71 carbs.
    That would take your total carbs for the day to 41.09
    The days calories would then be 1174 calories.

I’ll post some more tomorrow!

Would you like me to make a leek (without potato ) soup, if it tastes OK I will post the recipe to you ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Nicely done Judith ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

So was yours janet! I’m still losing weight on those calories ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I have no doubt that the science is sound. Love it!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Rob, that veg for the fish pie, celeriac., is about the size of a swede but light brown and knobbly. It tastes a bit like mild celery. I. Like it but couldn’t fancy it on fish pie. Perhaps I should try it so I. Know ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

The fish pie with celeriac is great.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi stringbreaker, I shall have to try it then ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Rob
    2 pints of water isn’t enough. You need 2-3 litres. That’s about 10 cups or glasses. Include tea, herb tea, water, fizzy water etc but not coffee or alcohol.
    Penny

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Judith
    I have had the fish pie with celeriac mash
    It was ok but I much prefer it with cauli mash.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Oh, that’s interesting Bill, I must admit I didn’t fancy it with celeriac, cheesy cauli does sound more appropriate.
    I always put cheese in the sauce and on top when I make fish pie ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

(Cue the old woman in curlers)
    CAULIFLOWER CHEESE ON A DIET ???
    ARE YOU MAD ????
    But we know better don’t we ? ?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

We certainly do Bill, even though it took me two weeks to get to grips with the idea after decades of the low fat indoctrination ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Bill
    I’m sure that wasn’t a sexist and ageist image, and could just as well have been the young man with pink hair who said it!
    ๐Ÿ˜œ Penny

• posted by Bill1954
    on

ROFLMAO
    When I was a kid, sexism and ageism (is that even a word? ) weren’t even a glimmer in the PC brigades eye.
    Anyway, my Gran had this neighbour who was always hanging over the garden fence and minding other folks busuness, she always had curlers in too.
    If she ever saw us kids doing anything she disagreed with she would describe what you were doing followed with are you mad ie “you’re climbing that tree, are you mad?” )
    It became a mantra with us kids to the point that it didn’t matter what any of us did, someone would say are you mad
    It just sort of stuck over the years.
    FREEDOM FOR PINK HAIRED YOUNG MEN ? ARE YOU MAD ?

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Bill
    I love that story!
    I thought after- a better reply would have been- not the old lady in curlers, but a doctor of any age or gender!!
    To which the right reply is -‘are you mad?’!!!!
    Penny

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Just caught a bit of ‘This Morning’ this morning, Joe what’s his face saying we shouldn’t be scared of eating carbs (he was cooking turkey burgers in bread buns). He then went on to say if you are fit and doing plenty of exercise, they are fine. I guess that’s where millions of people are going wrong then?

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Re ageism – which is a word. Here’s an example- I went to the doc a couple of years ago after my knee gave way on the stairs and then was very painful.
    Of course I had searched the Internet for info.
    The doc was very young, a trainee GP. She looked at my knee a bit and asked about it then said.’ Take these painkillers and carry on as normal, it ll be arthritis. ‘ I said ‘ but if it’s a torn miniscus I mustn’t walk on it’ ( which seemed more likely to me because of the giving way) Then she repeated what she d said and I repeated what I’d said, a few times.
    eventually, with bad grace, she sent me for a scan- guess what, torn
    Miniscus! If I’d ve ‘carried on as normal’ I could have ended up with a permanent injury. I think this was about her seeing me as an old woman therefore bound to have arthritis and not to be taken seriously. If it hadn’t been for the Internet…
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Janet
    What an irresponsible twerp. He is ignorant and should shut up about things he doesn’t know about. Millions will have seen that
    Penny ( exasperated ๐Ÿ˜ )

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Agreed Penny. Unfortunately, I think many doctors do reach for the first stereotype to hand and have empathy fatigue these days.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Another ageism story. Years ago my father was in a lot of pain and needed a hip replacement. The GP would not refer him. I told my father to ask again, but then the GP said he wanted to see me. He kept me waiting, then sat writing without acknowledging my presence. When he finally spoke to me, he said it was my dad’s age! At that point I pointed out that my dad had two hips and only one was giving trouble! He got his hip replaced ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

A different story – my mum was in hospital and I was meeting with her consultant surgeon. One of his areas of expertise was bariatric surgery (not what me mum was having) and every time he saw me, I could see him eyeing me up as a potential patient. I automatically pulled my coat round me in an attempt to reduce my size๐Ÿ˜ณ

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Captainlynne
    I think it’s rife. But we have to fight back!
    Penny

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Penny, this happened to my son – a young fit person. A young inexperienced physio said almost the same to him. Like you he knew better! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hashimoto
    Well thank goodness he did!
    Penny

Please log in or register to post a reply.