Lightweight/heavyweight!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi all,
    I haven’t posted anything since Monday and wow what has happened, I feel out of the loop already, I’m sure I will catch up in a bit, was at daughters yesterday, didn’t get back until 10 pm, she made a chicken curry with a jar! And a lamb curry from scratch, I had to have the chicken as there were too many wanting the lamb ( and I’m not too keen on re-heated lamb ) I also had a square of chocolate on the way home, I was so hungry, I could’ve eaten every cake in the shop window, ( had there been one on the m5!) Today I went to the doctors for my weigh in and I had lost 20 lb he wants to wait a while before doing blood tests etc, however he was pleased and is happy that I carry on, he also reassured me that if I continue how I am going I will not put the weight back on as long as it’s everything in moderation after that and eat a la Mediterranean I will be on the right tracks, he really is a good doctor I am very lucky, he is the type of guy who listens, thinks then replies, then at the end of the consultation asks, is there anything else I can help you with, so I hope he is my doctor until he sees me out, there aren’t many like him around!
    All the rest of the posts I will read now, however I won’t respond to any as I won’t have time or memory to do so but I still like to read everything even if I don’t respond! So no offence to anyone. I do feel a bit stressed at the moment having loads to do and two lots of visitors coming next week, while I’m still on my last of the eight weeks, and looking after three of our granddaughters on Friday, ( we have 11 grandchildren plus two step grandchildren) so we are kept busy, even though they live all around the country, Scotland, 4, Sheffield 2, Bristol 2plus2 and ‘here’ 3 we do a lot for the three that live 10 mins away too!
    One thing I do remember reading on the forum was something about the fish pie, the topping being celeriac! I had it and thought it was awful, we eat a lot of fish, however I will do the fish pies I do with cauliflower mash in future, I can cope with that.
    Good luck everyone, and here’s hoping I catch up with you all soon, cheers

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Janet 1973
    Still getting my head round the 50g carbs a day, however I have lost one and a half stone now, when I got up Wednesday morning I weighed myself as I was at the doctors later in the day, I was 20lb down on the diet, I got to the doctors and got on the scales and I had lost another pound I was 21lb down! Well pleased with myself, hopefully I can carry on losing if I concentrate on 50g carb thing, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hey Christi
    Thats excellent news and right in front of the doctor too! I’m glad you had a great time with your family. I’m in Rotherham so not too far from your grandchildren in Sheffield.

I’ve done my second day on my treadmill (only half an hour not the whole day) and achieved my best ever fat burning result with the ketostix tonight. A lovely dark pink number 8! Celebrations all round!

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi captainlynne
    I have Mary Berry and Dehlia’s cook books, plus lots of others too, unlike you I have to make cakes when the family come, our eldest is coming tomorrow with three of the boys, she is an expert at doing cakes, she makes them for all her friends birthdays, so I have made a chocolate cake, ( one of my favourites) will do scones in the morning, I don’t think I will be able to resist the occasional cake! However until I finish this diet I will resist.
    Don’t think I will ever be free of the sugar addiction, not sure either how to combat it, do I treat it as though I’m a junkie!
    My son lives in the Fulwood area of Sheffield, they moved recently and are having an extension, so have had to move in with our daughter in laws mum and dad, good job they don’t live far away, unlike us!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Christi
    Sounds to me like you’re doing everything absolutely right!
    Penny

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I bet your doctor was pleased too christi 🙂

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I don’t think I will ever lose my sweet tooth either Christi. I had some after 8s on Sunday and they were lovely! The difference now though is I was able to enjoy them but then stop. I didn’t need to keep going for more and then anything else in the cupboard /fridge. I think I am finally learning the true meaning of an occasional treat and I think I can live with that.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi rob
    I’m still learning things about this forum, just getting my head round the 50g carb idea, plus struggling with the (still) no sugar thing, good job I’m not diebetic just pre-diebetic, good to read your posts though, keep them coming.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Christi
    People seem to find that eventually the addiction goes and sugar just isn’t very nice. It just seems to happen after a while.
    Penny

• posted by misssay
    on

Hi Christi,
    I must admit I kept reading on here how so many people were saying they had lost their sweet tooth, but like you I wasn’t convinced it would happen to me! Tonight, I decided to have a diet ginger beer, ice cold. I used to really enjoy them. I have just tipped most of it down the sink, and filled up my glass with sparkling water! No one is more amazed than me. It was far too sweet and I could really taste the chemical taste from it. I have used an occasional sprinkle of xylitol sweetener during the diet, but I suspect this was aspartame. Whether I would be the same with some ‘real’ sugar, I don’t know…

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Rob how is it going? Were the menus janet and I made any use to you? 🙂

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi janet1973
    Very reassuring about you having an after eight, a couple of weeks ago my granddaughter, Dana had a packet of maltesers, she gave me one, (she is so generous and lovely and only five) then because I hesitated, hoping she would go off and play, then I could give it to someone else, she just stood there and said go on eat it, go on, go on, so I had to eat it in front of her, it was so sweet, I thought I had cracked it, but I am craving sugar really badly at the moment, and I don’t know why.
    As to the fage yogurt I will have to have a look for it, I’ve never heard or seen it and I have been having yogurt for years, I haven’t has half fat or 0% yogurt in years, thankfully!
    Thanks for the help. Cheers christine

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Christi. I sometimes have to bake for church – my specialities are/were Mars Bar Cake and banana bread! The thought of it is making me feel ill now😱

Like many on here I never thought I’d lose my sweet tooth, but it has happened.

Misssay- that happened to me the other day. I used to love diet lemon and lime drinks but had been drinking lots of sparkling water instead. I was shopping and needed a drink, so bought the diet lemon and lime. Two mouthfuls was more than enough & I had to pour it away when I got home bit was far too sweet😳

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi hashimoto
    Yes the doctor was quite helpful giving me some good advice on moving forward, (not in the excercise way though! Thankfully) I hate doing it. Just have to do the best I can when I feel like it, we are going swimming in the morning with the three granddaughters, whether I get any excercise is debatable though! Cheers christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi pmshrink
    Yes thanks I am getting there, cheers christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi fch53
    Ok thanks, cheers christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi missay
    Have you tried Truvia, it’s stevia only truvia’s a brand name, only it isn’t a chemical like the little pill ones. Cheers christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi captainlynne
    I don’t bake for our church cake stall, however when they have one we have a standing order for coffee and walnut cake that one of the dad’s make, I could make it too we just have it to give funds to the church. I don’t know what we will do in future, just keep getting it and I will leave the room while it’s being eaten! Can you just see that happening!
    Good job I not into fizzy drinks, except the occasional Bacardi and Coke, and I mean occasional, my last one was at Christmas!

• posted by misssay
    on

Lynne – it’s a strange feeling when it happens, isn’t it? I was a bit put out because I was looking forward to it, but at the same time pleased, because it was another success for this way of eating!

Christi – I tried Truvia when it first came out, but really didn’t like it. To me, it tested of liquorice. I like liquorice (that may be ‘liked’ in the past tense now, of course) but not in my coffee! I find xylitol doesn’t have any aftertaste for me, and it is granular, which I also like for the crunch. I haven’t used much on this diet though. I’ve noticed on discussions on other forums in the past, that there seems to be very individual responses to the flavour of sweeteners. I have friends who use Truvia, and don’t taste the liquorice taste at all, but it was very strong to me. I find xylitol the best I’ve tried, but I know some people get an aftertaste with it.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Missay diet ginger beer was my tipple of choice too. Note the was. I noticed a chemical aftertaste as well 🙁

• posted by misssay
    on

No point me posting you the 5 remaining cans of the multipack then, Hashimoto!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Missay I will have to politely decline your generous offer lol. Well we wasted money but learned something! I. Even took a six pack into school each monday. All that rubbish every week, can hardly believe I did it now

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi all on this thread

I have just got past a real temptation, I made scones today for my daughter and husband and three of her four boys, who are coming tonight for the weekend, I also made a chocolate cake, however it was the scones that got to me, I could quite happily have buttered one and put jam on, then of course eaten it, what did I do? I put them away in the tin, (husband and second daughter had one each) and left the kitchen! Phew I don’t know how I didn’t succumb, must be careful this weekend my eight weeks are up on Sunday so need to stay strong, I have not fallen off the diet ‘wagon’ in the eight weeks I’m sure I can get to the finish line, fingers and everything else crossed.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Christine, you did amazingly well. I don’t know that I could have been that strong. But you are managing to have a normal life around your family, while still remembering why you are doing this. Your abstinence muscles are getting stronger ever time you resist temptation. You were right to get the lid on the tin quickly! You did it!

• posted by jpscloud
    on

I like that analogy Janet! I am a wobbler (in more ways than one, sadly!!) and every few days I go off the rails. There is something about this diet that makes it possible for me to get back on straight away, instead of continuing to binge. I don’t know what it is, but it is working. Must be those abstinence muscles!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I know just what you mean jpscloud, I decided today I would have just a little bit of chocolate. I really enjoyed it and I didn’t go back for more. That’s a real achievement for me. In the past I would have kept going til it was all gone. And the great thing – I have done a ketone test since and I am still in ketosis! That means a little bit once in a while is ok – I’ve always been an all or nothing girl but I really think I can learn to control it like ‘thin people’ do!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

That’s good news re the chocolate, Janet, I might just get some of my favourite chilli chocolate and try a little square 🙂

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Don’t let me entice you over to the dark side! But then again, you might not like it anymore. Only get a small bar eh?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Ha ha janet. I was thinking of breaking a bar up into sqares and freezing allbut one square. They last longer in the mouth when frozen too 🙂

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Ok, in that case I won’t feel too bad about corrupting you!

Please log in or register to post a reply.