Well, here goes!! A new life beckons??

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Hi all!

“Nanny, your tummy is too fat for me to get my legs round” says 4 year old grandson yesterday, as I was carrying him! So, the 8 week blood sugar diet book I have been reading this last week, and your fantastic stories I have been engrossed with, and my ratbag of a grandson have finally convinced me I need to do this!!! Although right now, in the middle of the afternoon, feeling tired, becoming obsessed with my next meal, and what I have already put into my body today, I know I might NEED to do it … the question is, CAN I??

Fasting blood glucose this morning? 10.8!! Ouch!
    Test at 1 pm today, before lunch? 5.6!! Can’t have been there for a long time cos I was definitely shaky!!! Now I know that’s no hypo, but I also know that the reaction is because my body is not used to not having loads of sugar in its blood!! πŸ™

Yes, I’m afraid I am one of those long term type 2 diabetics (15 years diagnosed) that no matter what I do, may well never totally reverse my diabetes, however I know that with this lifestyle change I could very well reduce a lot of medication and go on to see my ratbag of a grandson (and his brother and cousin) go on to become gorgeous young people … and maybe even plague the lives out of them for a long time to come. Here’s hoping!! πŸ™‚

It looks to me as if the answer is in my hands!!

Thank you, one and all, for sharing your trials, tribulations … and many successes … because those have helped me to come to the decision to try and do something about the situation I am currently in!!

So, looking forward to continuing to read your stories, but no longer from the side lines … but as a fully paid up member of your club!! πŸ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Welcome Kimgall by the way you owe your grandson a present, he has given you the final push into a new healthier lifestyle.
    In fact he has even given you your first target, you need to lose enough inches to let him get his legs around you again.
    Loads of people on here to talk to and question, we’ll look forward to sharing your journey πŸ™‚

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Thanks, Bill … I have to say that your posts have been an inspiration, too!!

Kim

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Kimgall. My fasting BG when I started this was 10.9. Today (afte e 10 weeks in the plan) it was 5.3. Diagnosed type 2 in 2009. Wishing you every success, and many happy years with your grandson. My family haven’t seen me since before I started this – they’ll have a surprise, lost 31 pounds so far πŸ˜ƒ. Wonder what my 8-year old twin granddaughters will say LOL.

• posted by Sharon
    on

Welcome Kimball,

I am on week 3 and lost 16lb so far, I too have grandchildren to thank for getting me to start the journey to lose weight. I have found this forum to be so helpful and there is always someone to offer support and advice. Good luck for your first week all the best Sharon.

• posted by Sharon
    on

Opps that should of said Kimgall

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Lynne … thank you … and very well done!!! 31lbs … amazing!!! Good on yer!! Do your family know what you’ve been doing, and how much you’ve lost? They will be so very proud of their grandma/nan!!

You going to Prague this week? I hope you have a wonderful holiday … you’ll have fun looking for different foods!! πŸ™‚

Kim

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Thanks, Sharon … 16lb is brilliant in 3 weeks. I am sure your grandchildren will thoroughly enjoy a more healthy and agile grandma!! πŸ™‚ I just want to be able to keep up … even a little bit would be good!!! πŸ™‚
    Kim

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Kimgall. No, family don’t know! My son is type 2 on meds, eats carbs. The twins say what they think, so it should be interesting when they see me after Easter LOL. If comments from my son and daughter-in-law are repeatable I’ll put them on here.

Off to Prague next Monday. Checked out eating places at both airports, so gave an idea what I can get there. Should get lots of walking done πŸ˜ƒ (Especially trying to find something I can eat!).

Lynne

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Well, just so I know how quick things can happen, I want to keep a record of my highs and lows … and if it’s alright with everyone else on here, I may as well write my diary on this forum.
    Last night I went to bed at 8.30 (unheard of for me), and fell asleep at 9.15 (according to hubby, who could hear the snoring from downstairs!!). Had a headache and wanted to get away from temptation. Always been my downfall. Especially waiting for hubby to go to bed so I could raid the biscuit tin/eat the sweets I had bought during the day in secret/eat some ice cream!!! Not that the other half is anything but encouraging … and certainly not judgemental … but always had to eat “treats” in secret!!!
    It wasn’t easy yesterday … but I stuck to it. No eating between meals … Calories 867 … Carbs 37 … Fat 54 … Protein 62. Once I have got through the worst, I probably won’t count the cals etc., just make sure make sure the carbs are good … although I don’t know! I will take it day by day! It’s taken me 57 years to get to where I am now … and I have to turn things around!
    I slept until I was woken by hubby at 7 am with a cup of hot water instead of tea. I have no problem with that!! I don’t mind hot water.
    Still a bit headachy, definitely had the sniffles this morning … and boy, did I ache as I shuffled to the bathroom!!
    Yesterday morning fasting glucose 10.8 … 5.2 before lunch yesterday … 7.6 before tea
    This morning fasting glucose 6.7 … 11 am 5.7
    Have to admit at 11 am I was feeling yuck so had a coffee with double cream and two mini babybels. I probably could have got away with one, but I took two out of the fridge back to my desk … so I ate them!! Lesson to learn … just drink the coffee. THEN if I am still needing something take ONE out of the fridge!!!
    OK, well I am feeling good right now, so will get back on with work … and write more later!! I think its over the next few days that I am going to struggle!! Although with every addiction, I guess I am going to have to take one day at a time!!

There are so many successful stories on this forum … as well as some of us that are finding it difficult … but that’s called life … we all have ups and downs … if we don’t have the downs, we’d never know when we are having the ups, right?? πŸ™‚

Kim

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Kimgall,
    Welcome. You’ve got the right attitude to do this. It may be tough at first but you might be one of the lucky ones who only has a mild withdrawal period. I think most people get through it in less than two weeks. You will start seeing results in less time than that though.
    If you’ve been reading the posts you’ll know the mantra by now lol: keep your fat and protein intake up, drink lots, take something for headaches, and don’t forget the forum members are here for support, advice and encouragement!
    All the best for your success.

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Thanks, Cherrianne, it has been good to glimpse at the comments you have made to others. There are quite a few of you now that have so much knowledge through “being there”!!! And your positivity shines through, particularly as you must find it more difficult to keep the protein and fat up being vegetarian? Me? I’ll eat anything … and up until now, they have always been of the “sweet” variety! I have tried over the last six months not to eat pasta, bread, potatoes … unfortunately I forgot to not eat the low fat sugar filled yogurts (for my “being good” times), or the cream filled doughnuts (well, they were high fat, right?) … and as for the fruit pastilles (well, they had natural fruit juice, so must be better than wine gums, huh?). It was always going to be … “Tomorrow”!! And, trust me … Tomorrow never comes!! πŸ™‚
    Looking forward to your next post … which always seems to be of the supportive variety based on your own personal experience … what about your personal achievements? πŸ™‚

• posted by Kimgall
    on

OK, fed up now!! Knackered!! Tears streaming down my face … don’t panic … not cos of some emotional mental state … just because I’m yawning so much!!! Still full from the remains of last night meal, that I had for lunch … turkey mince, chopped tomatoes and broccoli … so not hungry … just cream crackered!! And I haven’t had as much sleep as I had last night, for a very long time!! 10 hours!!! I’m usually a 6-7 hour girl!!
    Blood sugars before lunch at 1 = 5 … very shaky!! Blood sugars now = 6.1 … can’t believe how low these are … for me, anyhow!!
    Right, I have to shake off this lethargy … off to walk three hungry nosed four legged animals. I get so much joy out of watching them sprint while I just about get one foot in front of the other!!
    I WILL achieve my goals … it’s just a bit of a strange journey getting there!!
    This is the time when I would normally be at the biscuits!!
    x

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Kimgall,
    The tiredness late afternoon seems to be quite common, as with most of the symptoms it soon passes. You might have to resort to a power nap for a while!
    You have to be kind to yourself during this period while your body is adjusting to some pretty major changes. You will soon feel more energetic and clear headed.
    Like you I love biscuits, don’t have much of a sweet tooth otherwise. A few strawberries and cream, counted in your cals/carbs of course, feel quite decadent and help. Strangely enough a slice of lemon in hot water helps too, not sure why, but it nips any cravings in the bud for me. Liquorice tea helps with hunger pangs too.
    I manage to track my fat and protein with a food diary app. I have been vego since a child and eat a varied diet so not so much of a problem as you might think. I do supplement with a low carb protein powder in my breakfast.
    My achievement has been to consistently have my blood sugar levels in the non diabetic range for the past couple of weeks. So pleased about that because as you may have read, a year ago the hospital wanted to start me on insulin. No threat of that now yay!!!
    I am TOFI so don’t have to lose weight but can fully sympathise with those who do, having seen the truly awful physical and emotional battle fought by a close family member trying to lose weight.
    Thank you for your kind comments. I think I am fairly positive, each day we get a fresh chance to get things right and change things for the better.

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Cherrianne, I am definitely going to try the liquorice tea … I know I have some in the cupboard! Not for the hunger pangs, cos there aren’t any, but just cos I quite fancy that!! Right now you are probably in bed in Aussie land, while I am sitting in my office with a busy day ahead!! I’m really pleased about your blood sugar levels, cos insulin is no fun! I look back over the past 12 years, and to be honest, whether its because people are under the misapprehension that I know what it’s all about, or whether its because they don’t know either, or whether its because I have just ignored the fact I am diabetic and not stayed on top of it … which I think is probably more of the case … I have never been as keen to lower my bg as now. I have to take responsibility!!

Hope you have a good day later … and thanks for the tip on the liquorice tea (have now had two cups!!) x

• posted by Kimgall
    on

No one on here told me this healthy eating malarkey was a miracle!! Its successfully made me 40 years younger … I have two zits and teenage-back-itis, where I couldn’t get my back off the bed this morning!!!
    Well, apart from the above, I have good news and bad news … good news = I am so impressed with myself!!! We live in the middle of nowhere (5 miles from nearest shop), and as our office is based at home I don’t get out as often as some … but when I do, I’ve always managed to purchase so-called treats laden with sugar!! Last evening I had to go out, and some of the afternoon I kept hearing these fruit pastilles calling my name, shouting me to rescue them!! I had my good low carb tea, and even had a coffee with cream after, but even as I got in the car I could physically see myself returning with at least four large packs of sugar covered pastilles!! I wasn’t hungry at all. And I haven’t been! But that sugar addiction is bad!! The thoughts of “well, I can always start again tomorrow …” just kept hitting me!! However … I refrained!!! I went to my friends … just had hot water, even though she tried to persuade me we needed to break that bottle of wine … and that little swine sitting on my shoulder kept saying “we can always go to the shop on the way home”. I didn’t!! I came home and stood in the middle of the lounge and told my slim-fitting hubby how clever I was … and bless him, he understood, and was so proud!!
    Bad news? Well I struggled to sleep last night … not cos of hunger, but just fidgety-it is!! Nothing would stay still! Feet … legs … arms … me! I tossed and turned all night! Then at 3 pm I found my BS was down to 3.2! However, I got downstairs and had some yogurt and seeds and raisins and a cup of milk.
    This morning I have reduced my insulin by half, and will keep an eye on it.
    Blood sugar level at 8 am was 6.6 … still much better than normal, even though it wasn’t a fasting one!!

Keep at it everyone!! Ignore me … I’m just making sure you all realise what I am going through to learn to look after myself!! πŸ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Kim, if you’re going to go alll teenager on us then so am I
    YOU SMASHED IT GIRL
    Fabulous that you can reduce the insulin already, next step is to get off it altogether and you CAN do it.
    Ignore you ? I’d rather stick pins in my eyes. πŸ˜‰

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hey Kimgall, fantastic start!! You are not going to know yourself soon. Well done for resisting those evil little pastilles :). In my case temptation was a packet of chocolate digestives in the cupboard that definitely were calling my name. I even opened the door and looked at them a few times lol. I knew as long as they stayed unopened I was safe. I just love biscuits. When the kids came home I opened the packet and shared them out. Even though there are 5 of them it was still a fair few bikkies each. Think they thought it was Christmas again, but at least the temptation had gone.
    Hope your sleep improves very soon. A good night’s sleep and you can face anything!

• posted by stingle
    on

Hey – I have just looked at your topic and it seems we are quite similar, and it has made me smile – a lot !

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Stingle, it’s good to have a laugh at our foibles isn’t it? We are all learning as we go and having to learn healthier eating habits. Everyone on the forum seems to have so much in common with regard to food weaknesses. It’s what got many of us to the point where we need help. Always someone on here to cheer you up or give advice. πŸ™‚

• posted by georgiarose
    on

So, Day 3 for hubby and me, retired seniors with the incentive of our first grandchild. Michael Mosley has inspired me, esp after the Inisght program here in Aus on SBS earlier this week. During 8 years diagnosed with type 2, I was relying on meds and moderate exercise, healthy foods, but I now see, TOO MANY CALORIES, esp for our age. The young man on insight who is losing his sight and has lost 3 toes gave me the final push. With hubby doing the actual calorie counting (I hate dealing with numbers), we will take it day by day. It’s not so hard if you only eat when hungry and then grab the minimum cals: cherry tomatoes from the garden, garlic chive flowers for a taste hit!, cukes, an egg for lunch, some green beans and 4 bean salad for tea with a slice of chicken or lamb from earlier roasts. Still, I will need all the encouragement you lot give. So here’s to a healthy and long life! (Toasting with mineral water with a lemon twist:-)

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Another couple of days have gone by and I’ve started to feel better! Still not succumbed to anything that’s gonna make me have to go through the last couple of days again … And to be honest actually desiring anything like biscuits … Sweets … Hasn’t been a problem for the last couple of days … BUT I know that my Greek yogurt and berries I had this evening whilst watching tv was way too big!! πŸ™ no ones fault but mine! It was from a 500g tub and I dished it out like I used to … And the berries from the freezer were shovelled on top! I didn’t need it all … And realistically if I had eaten it at the table, I may not have eaten it all … But I did … And I actually feel bloated. Mindful eating? Yeah, right! I was not a particularly happy bunny this evening, so I did what I’ve done all my life, and filled my face!
    Cherrianne and Stingle, I have always laughed at myself … I can usually see the funny side of most things … And I hope people laugh with me … Life’s too short not to enjoy it when you can. And, if I can’t be honest on here … And honest with myself … About the things I have done, and who I am, how can I learn to change?
    if anyone can relate to me and what I’ve done or said, like I’ve related to others on this forum, then great … I want to share this journey with other like minded individuals … It seems to make it easier.
    Welcome, georgiarose, it’s great that you and hubby have joined us. Your diet sounds really healthy, but don’t forget to add some fat to help you feel full, as well as counting those calories!! Have you read the book? The people on this forum are really encouraging and friendly … And all want you to achieve better health. I’m like you, and Stingle, … A newbie, so still have lots to learn … However Cherrianne (another Aussie), has a little more experience … In this way of healthy eating, I may add!! πŸ˜€
    I haven’t weighed myself yet, but I have seen a reduction in blood sugars, and I certainly do not have the desire for those high carb foods that used to always be filling my mouth!!
    Have a good day / night … And will catch you all soon X

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Kimgall your sense of humour does come through! The ability to have a laugh at my own expense( and sometimes others if I’m esp. naughty) is what keeps me going. Most of us on here seem to be like minded, and reading some of the posts has me laughing or sympathising because I can relate to so much of it. We all seem so determined to make the changes necessary to gain good health.
    Georgiarose welcome, there are lots of Aussies on here now. If you need help with which foods to buy or where to get them we should be able to help. I agree with Kimgall that you don’t seem to be getting enough fat. Remember to use full fat products: milk, yoghurt, cheese etc. you just count them in your calories. Add some oil to your salad, it will help to stop you feeling hungry.

• posted by georgiarose
    on

Thanks for the welcome. A bit of smoked trout goes a long way, slice of chicken, slice of lamb, tablespoon of olive oil. Sugar free yogurt coming home atm with foraging hubby:-) along with raspberries – a little reward.

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Ok … end of week 1 … and this is where you say “And look what you could have lost if you actually stuck to it!!” πŸ™‚
    No seriously, 6lb off!! Last time I lost that much in a week was when I was in a coma!! πŸ™‚
    I have religiously kept off all starchy carbs … and had no sweets, or any other processed foods. I started counting calories on day 1, but realistically found that I was still eating too much and therefore averaging about 1200 cals. I have not been hungry at all, but have had no exercise at all … taken the dogs training only once … slimfit hubby has been exercising them whilst I have been chained to my desk!!
    BGs have been much better!! 6.1 this morning!! I did get very close to a hypo with a bg of 3, and decided to half my insulin on one day … but that was cos I panicked … so have gone back to same dosage at the moment and just keeping a strict eye on it.
    I’ve had no fruit, and stuck to meat, fish, cheese, vegetables, eggs, greek yog and berries. With the one exception … hmmm …. confession time … sugar free liquorice … “100g”, I hear you say??? Err … no … 200g!! “Did they last all week, bearing in mind the sweetener/bottom effect”??? Err … no … Saturday and Sunday evening … and I still haven’t “been” since Thursday!!! πŸ™ My hand is still smarting since you smacked it!! I feel suitably reprimanded!!
    Oh, and I haven’t been drinking enough water. My thing was tea with milk and diet ginger beer. Now, its been hot water (occasionally), fruit teas, liquorice teas, creamy coffee … but only the last two days have I been having water … but its still not really been as much as I should!!
    Hey, don’t get me wrong … I am actually a half full kind of gal, so am delighted with my lower bgs, 6lb weight loss and 1.5 inches off my waist … oh, I forgot to tell you that bit!!! πŸ™‚ But I know I can do better … and I will try, honest!! πŸ™‚

Thank you, you lot … you are the ones that kept me from slipping even more!! I’m gonna find my poncho out that I started crocheting some fourteen years ago … I may even finish that to keep my hands busy in the evening!! πŸ™‚ x

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Well done Kimgall 6 pounds off is not to be sniffed at but, as you say yourself, there is so much more potential there for you.
    Try your very best just for this week to drop the goodies and drink more water, then, next week, show us what you can REALLY do πŸ˜€
    Get your husband to tape the liqourice to the dogs coat and chase them for it, should work off a few calories !!!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fantastic news Kimgall – I’m with Bill – what could you do if you stick to the plan? I’m dying to know next week! πŸ™‚

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Cor, blimey!!! What do you two want, Hashimoto & Bill??? Blood?? πŸ™‚ x

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Nah just the blood sugar readings will do
    Below 5 please πŸ˜‰

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Yes, kimgall yes ,blood! In the form of even lower blood sugar readings!!!! Good luck, we’re rooting for you x

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hashimoto and Bill, what a great double act, love the humour.
    Well done Kim, bit of tweaking to do with your intake but no one here will smack you for that. We are all human and totally understand the temptations.
    I was feeling a bit self satisfied, had 11 days under 5 for my fasting bloods! Ate two samosas instead of one for dinner and ruined my record πŸ™ now 5.3 this morning. Would have been delighted with that at one stage but having seen what the diet can do, I want better.
    You will get there Kim, your determination and ability to laugh at your foibles will see you succeed πŸ™‚

• posted by georgiarose
    on

So great to read about lower blood sugars and weight. Day 10 here and my sugar has been under 7 for 4 days! This from a scary 17 one morning two weeks ago! Weight down 5 kgs. Feeling SO much better already..don’t wake with a back ache, climbing stairs easier.
    Hubby is a very tall guy and has maybe lost too much for him, so he is now allowed a bit more than me. His BG is fine, only “beer belly.”
    I now dream of fasting bloods under 6. And losing a dress size next. Keep up the great work everyone. Beaut morning here at Port Stephens. Perhaps another kayak, at least a swim.

• posted by georgiarose
    on

Hello again, I’ve been worried about the toe numbness which is now in both feet. But there is hope! Just read this:
    “you can reverse neuropathy by lowering your post meal blood sugars. ” Yea!!
    “Effective Treatment for Neuropathy

Everything changes when you define “tight control” to mean “Maintaining post-meal blood sugars below the level where neuropathy begins.” That level turns out to be 140 mg/dl (7.7 mmol/L). Lower your blood sugar to this level, meal after meal, and your nerves sill start to heal.” http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com.au/2008/12/diabetic-nerve-pain-and-what-you-can-do.html

OK, just checked creds of the blog writer. A diabetic herself who has done lots of research and written books re blood sugar and diabetes. Will double check the facts, but at the moment will start taking post-prandial BS.

Cheers fellow travellers.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Thanks georgiarose, that news will bring hope to a lot of people. πŸ™‚
    The best thing I have found to keep post meal blood sugars in the non diabetic range is to count carbs.
    If I aim for 15g carb per meal, and max of 50-55 per day, I can stay within the non diabetic range. As I don’t have to lose weight I don’t worry about the calories, they pretty much take care of themselves if I stick to my carb allowance.
    Keep us informed of how you’re doing with the neuropathy. It will be very interesting to follow your progress.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi georgiarose, that is really interesting, I’m not diabetic myself but I had a conversation about neuropathy with a friend who does remedial sports massage and she said in the early stages it can be reversed with the right treatment. I’ll look forward to your future posts and hope for the best for you πŸ™‚

• posted by georgiarose
    on

Will keep you posted. Post lunch BG was 6.1 which really surprised me, lower than fasting this a.m. My neuropathy is not very advanced so hope it may improve under this calorie counting regime!! Thanks for your interestπŸ˜€

Please log in or register to post a reply.