'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

It’s tough staying positive, when I am starting week 4, exactly where I started week 3. If I’m honest, I know this is actually a bonus, as I had two meals out at the weekend, including churros and red wine, so I’m actually damn lucky I didn’t register a gain this week.

So, I have to redouble my efforts this week, as I really want to see some more positive results soon. That means this week, I am going to keep track of my carb intake as well as calorie intake. Hopefully this will mean I’m keeping control of both and I’ll be seeing results again soon. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

• posted by Purplepenguin
    on

You can do it SunnyB

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks Purplepenguin. Having a little encouragement will help me stick with it. I’m planning to keep cals under 800 on at least two days this week and on 800 the rest, with carbs around 30g if I can. Hopefully I’ll be posting good news this time next week.

on

Good luck with that me I have to move more,need to get some sort of pedometer I think. Anyone got any recommendations.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi GwendolinAnne
    Welcome!
    I m sure you ll do fine. Everyone on here thinks it’s the easiest diet ever. Occasional glitches but there’s ways to sort them out.
    Lots of help available here.
    Best of luck
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Monkeyescapade
    Great name!
    If you find yourself struggling or tempted add more fat to your diet. ( so then its are good) That’s what s lot of us have done and it really helps. Hard to do at first as we ve been taught fat is bad. But it stops you getting hungry.
    Good luck on your trip to Thailand. I’m off to India on Wednesday. So Hopi GI can stick to the low carb there. No rice!
    Best of luck
    Penny

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Penny,
    Hope you have a lovely trip to India. You should be able to get all those yummy chickpea dishes and lentil dahls and things there mmmm, Indian cuisine is vegetarian heaven!! ๐Ÿ™‚ lots of low carb too.
    I’m so glad you’re still posting after the very unwarranted troll attack. I really wanted to send you a message of support, but there’s no facility here to do it privately.
    Those posts have been removed and you had quite a few people rush to your defence.
    All the best…

• posted by Justabloke
    on

End of Week 9 and now on modified 5:2.
    Weight loss – 11.5 kg from 108.9 kg to 97.4
    Waist circumference loss – 11.5 cm
    Muscle mass has increased by 3% – percent fat mass decreased about the same according to my el cheapo scales – still 33.2 % fat mass
    Blood sugar is high in mornings again ~7.3 – 8 mmol but normal 2 hrs post meals – 5.6 ~ 5.8 mmol
    Haven’t checked BP since it went back to normal in about week 4 – Doing around 10000 steps 5 days per week
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Matrika
    on

Justabloke
    Congratulations to you.
    It is wonderful to read these numbers and be motivated by your success story.
    So, thank you and well done you.

• posted by Kes
    on

Well done everyone, there’s some impressive improvements from everyone.

Here’s mine and my oh after the first week, me 8lbs down and an inch off my waist and tum although I actually feel like that should be more as I feel thinner and my clothes are fitting me better plus my ribs are making an appearance again. My oh has lost 5lb officially (although I suspect more as he didn’t actually weigh in until the second day) and an inch and a half from his tum. The best bit is that he used to have very puffy ankles and a mark where the top of his socks dug in but that’s all gone in just a week.

Overall both feeling very much healthier and, although intending to do the 5:2 med plan have ended up on the 800 a day plan which seems to suit us well.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Everything crossed for you Sunnyb. Carb counting worked for me.
    Penny

• posted by TrishaDawn
    on

Weighing in after finishing week 2. Not as good as week 1, but that was my own fault for not counting the milk for my coffee and the extra bites of this and that when I felt hungry. I pulled myself up, began counting everything and I’m back losing again. So it’s a total of 2.8 over the two weeks, but would have been more if I’d been more careful.
    Unfortunately I have three birthday dinners in three weeks coming up, plus a family lunch at Easter. And I have no will power usually when I’m eating out. I won’t make rash promises to stick to the 800 calories on those days, but I’ll certainly be very choosy over my decisions. I’m very confident that at the worst, they will only slow my weight loss down, not cause me gain.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

It is tough eating out while you are on the 8wk diet. I had two dinners out last w/e. I managed to save most of my calorie allowance during the day, for the dinner in the evening, limited myself to one small glass of red per meal (and a whisky one evening when I got home) also chose things not being served with heaps of carbs. I did my best to work out the calories each day and I know I was over, but not too seriously – approx 200clas over the two days. Anyway, net result was no weight lose …. but no gain either.

If you make your menu choices carefully and try to off set a bit by saving calories before each event, I’m sure your weight will not suffer too badly from the dinners out. Good luck with it, I’m sure you can make it work.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi penny, I want to wish you a lovely trip to India. I haven’t been on the forums for a few days courtesy of a nasty viral infection so don’t know what the troll attacks were but want you to know you are a very valued member of these forums and your contributions are much appreciated x:)
    Judith

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Justabloke? Just a bloke? Those stats are amazing. What a bloke! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi purplepenguin I would recommend the CSX. Pedometer, I’ve had a few over the years and that one is my fa ourite. You can find details of it on the resources tab on this website, ive had mine for almost 2 years. It goes in my dressing gown pocket first thing ( it’s amazing how many steps you can do on a morning before dressing ) then into my jeans pocket for the rest of the day. Hope that helps ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Shadow2
    on

I am just starting my 4th week and have lost 6lbs and about an inch off my waist. I am doing 5.2BSD so not reducing calories as much as most people but am thrilled with my progress. I am now 9st 9lbs which is the lowest I have been for about 40 years. Since I first started 5.2 diet in July 2014 (when diagnosed with pre diabetes) I have lost a total of 29lbs, unfortunately went back to bad eating habits end of last year and 4 weeks ago my blood sugars were in the late 6’s, tingling all over body and felt terrible. Now my fasting blood sugars are low 5’s or high 4’s which I am very relieved about it. I am now up to 10,000 steps a day and feel much better. I have found this diet much easier than I expected and know I need to keep to low carbs for rest of my life but am looking forward to a more relaxed meditteranean maintenance plan. I could not have done this without the help and support from these forums and the recipes posted by everyone. Keep going everyone, it can be done.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi shadow2, wow, 11st 10lbs down to 9st 9lbs is something to celebrate. Well done you and wishing you all the best on this life long path ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Shadow2
    on

Thank you so much hasimoto.
    Purplepenguin….. I have daffodil pedometer which is advertised in the resources section of this website and find it is really good. Got it from amazon. Only records steps though after you have been walking for 7 seconds but dont find it is a disadvantage.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Gwendolineanne, welcome to the forums, this diet WILL work for you, believe me! I didn’t believe I could lose my excess weight but I am 2 stones 3 lbs down already. I’m looking forward to your posts as you will be so happy with the results of following this diet ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Judith
    Hope yr feeling better.
    Yes. That was weird. I thought I asked an innocuous question about where someone was based as she was having trouble finding certain foods and she was enraged- and expressed it.
    Luckily there was an immediate chorus of support for me which made me feel a lot lot better!
    Thanks for your words of support.
    I am now just finishing packing etc- taxi arrives at 4.10 am to go to Paddington station. Exciting!!
    Penny

• posted by Graemesmith
    on

My weight loss slowed down last week. I have increased my exercise and it seems to be working. After 6 weeks and 2 days I have broken the 2 stone loss barrier.

My aim is to lose another 9 lb before the end of the eight weeks.

This mornings fbs was 5.8! That just says it all.

Loving the diet so much that I can’t see much changing after the 8 weeks.

The support on here is fantastic, keep it up folks. We can all do it !!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Great results graemesmith! 2 stones gone and fbs down as well, way to go! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Justabloke
    on

Thanks Hashimoto ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• posted by Monkeyescapade
    on

Thanx Penny and happy, safe travels to you in India, it truly lives up to it’s marketing strapline of Incredible India, I was there for 7 weeks in 2014, it was a travel experience quite like no other. One of my most favourite meals is rice so avoiding that – as well as Pad Thai – is going to be a real challenge. My plan is to avoid the rice and try to stick with eating fresh fish, salads when I can.

With breakfast for the past year for breakfast I have been eating muesli and natural yoghurt but the portions kept increasing so I am now limiting that, just a small change but am convinced that by by replacing that with poached eggs or a cheese omelette has really contributed to the waist inch loss.

Finding it difficult to manage without snacks during day – am drinking water/black tea but still have cravings which I usually fulfill with almonds and walnuts. I am going nutty! Any other suggestions from you lovely forum members on permitted snacks gratefully received and devoured!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Monkeyescapade,
    Good snacks include: boiled eggs, 20g piece of cheese, strawberries, a handful of sunflower seeds fried in 2-3 tspns of soy sauce/tamari great for when the urge for salty snacks strike, celery filled with hummus or tzatsiki, 5 or 6 cherry tomatoes. All added to your count of course.
    Sounds like you have it pretty much worked out though. Hope to hear more about your weight/ inches lost soon ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Lilly
    on

Hi all

I started the 800×8 on Monday and. despite a slight slip up on Wednesday, I’ve so far lost 1.7 kgs. It’s only been five days but I plan to make Friday’s my weigh in day so thought I’d post about it today.

It’s not as much weight loss as some others have experienced, but I don’t have a sweet tooth, so I haven’t had to cut out biscuits, soft drinks or cakes from the diet because they weren’t there in the first place…..and my takeaway/junk food consumption is virtually non-existent. We maybe have it once or twice a year in an emergency. What I have done is cut out all potatoes, alcohol AND BREAD. I think they have been my major downfall!

So, 1.7kgs is pretty good I think. Next week and the week after will be interesting

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lilly, that’s quite a big weight loss in just 5 days! You should congratulate yourself ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by mrscrimbo
    on

Well done on the weight loss hope you keep melting! My OH and I are at he end of week 6 he has lost 1 stone 10 lbs and I have lost 1 stone 7 and we completely agree with you its the bread and booze what do it. Aside from the weight loss you will just feel so much fitter and healthier on this diet. We intend to continue in roughly the same way (should we ever reach our targets!) now we have been set free from our addiction to carbs. Wishing you every success in your journey to health.

• posted by Lilly
    on

Thank you both. Yes I am pleased. I may not have conveyed that very well in my post, but I am. I plan to do this in four week blocks…so bring on the next three weeks I say!

• posted by Lozza
    on

Hi I started the BSD diet last Friday after seeing Dr Michael on The Wright Stuff. I have lost 7lbs! Very pleased ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Wow we have an awesome threesome on our hands ๐Ÿ™‚
    lily lozza and mrscrimbo, well done to you all.
    Keep posting your results, you are all inspiring others to a new healthy lifestyle, so in helping yourselves, you are making a huge contribution to other folks well being.

• posted by Lozza
    on

Thanks Bill1954.
    I am finding this the easiest diet I have ever been on, don’t feel hungry at all. Before the diet I used to have 2 slices of toast for breakfast and 2 slices of bread for lunch and some form of potato(mash, boiled, chips) for dinner. Haven’t missed them at all.
    I also used to drink red wine. I’ve cut this out and drink Brandy instead, which I did last weekend and still lost weight!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Isn’t it amazing Lozza
    I well remember the suffering I went through years ago trying the WW diets. I was always hungry and I could well have done without the guilty feelings I experienced when I didn’t show a weight loss in any given week.
    This diet is so much better, you can do it yourself, it’s easy. and by God it works.

• posted by Bruno
    on

Hi everyone,
    Good to hear how everyone’s finding the diet. Thats me at the end of week 6.
    So far I’ve lost just over 2 stone (29lbs). Last Friday when I weighed myself I’d only lost 1lb, so was amazed that I lost 5lb this week๐Ÿ‘.
    For the last 7 days I’ve also cut out caffeine. Started drinking Caffine free Green Tea which was pretty vile for the first few days but now I’m beginning to like it. Tried the curry recipe with cauliflower rice last night, it was amazing.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bruno I am so glad you posted that – a few people have reached a plateau so your experience will encourage them.
    Well done on your fabulous weight loss and enjoy the rest of your journey ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by gooismeid
    on

End of week 5 – lost 5kgs on the button (a shade over 11lb in old money). That’s more than 5% of my total bodyweight! I’m sleeping well, not feeling particularly hungry, and I’ve somehow got out of the habit of mindless munching while I’m sitting at my desk. Can’t say that I’ve followed 800 calories a day slavishly, and there has been the odd time when I’ve had a glass of wine, or a roast potato, or a piece of granary toast – but my energy levels are insane! I’ve got the bike out of the shed for the first time since before Christmas, did a good 15 mile trip last weekend, and I’ve been out jogging every other lunchtime. My downfall on previous diets has always been cheese – but on the BSD it’s a positive thing to include a bit of cheese so that keeps me happy.

On a related note – have you noticed how many carb-heavy takeaway foods there are? It’s a sea of beige food out there! Pies, pasta salads, sausage rolls, chips, sandwiches, crisps – it’s really difficult to find a decent bought lunch, unless you go to Eat or Pret. Another good reason to have home-made stuff. Today I had a home-made vegetable laksa (without noodles) and it was delish.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Same as Gooismeid, I have lost 5 kilos in five weeks which I am absolutely thrilled with. Will have to work it out as a percentage though, which will be interesting. I see this as a way of life now not a diet and I don’t miss carbs at all. I am more preoccupied with all the full fat things I can now have and are much nicer. Another half stone to go to be within my bmi (and not just on the edge of it) and then another half stone to be back where I was in my twenties! Oh goodness, that was SUCH a long time ago!

• posted by Lesley91
    on

End of week 5, so far lost 2 stone 1 lb. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Janet1973. You will be back to your 20s weight in no time at that rate of loss ๐Ÿ™‚

Lesley91 fabulous weight loss! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Wow the big hitters are out in force today
    Well done to each and every one of you. the statistics are starting to pile up now, they can go on about controlled trials etc but I think everyone on here now knows how well this works and we don’t need it to be rubber stamped by anyone.
    I’m telling anyone who’s willing to listen about this, if the word doesn’t get out big style, it won’t be from lack of trying.

• posted by Monkeyescapade
    on

Thanx Cherrianne, good suggestions, will stock up on cherry toms and celery, I do like seeds too and cheese – actually I like most food ha ha.

I dont have scales whilst travelling but am continuing to measure my waist, did go down to 34 inches (from my original 37 inch waist) but now hovering at 34.5, this may be water retention from long haul flight. It’s sweltering here in Thailand but exercising daily by walking uphill on a steep incline near accomm – did 20 floors today – got me out of puff so must be doing some good! A case of onwards and upwards!

Limiting breakfast to eggs plus natural yoghurt – omelette with cheese is actually quite filling – seeing but not being tempted by the croissants, toast, danish pastries plus fruit such as melon, grapes. Dinner front, keeping to low carb is manageable in this country, was pleased to see this morning that Red Thai Curry soup with prawns is fairly low in carbs and again, is quite filling and actually enough for dinner.

It can be hard breaking eating habits of a lifetime but it can be done, the forum members’ posts are evidence of this and very encouraging. Onwards and upwards my friends.

• posted by Col
    on

Just at the end of week 2 and am delighted to report a whole stone, 14lbs or 6.3 kilos! No hunger and able to move around much better….stalled for several days but upped the fats, cut carbs even lower and it worked. No sugar craving either…..think this may well have kicked them for good….so here’s to the next 6 weeks and then maybe 4:3 or 5:2 until at goal and for rest of life. If I can crack this, anyone can. Thanks to Michael Mosley, genius!
    Thanks to all those further down the road who continue to post and inspire, it has meant so much to know the peaks and troughs that can happen in advance and so be ready to ride em out!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Col, brilliant news, a fantastic reward for your dedication and self control! I am really looking forward to your future posts! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Great stuff Col, well chuffed for you ๐Ÿ™‚
    Week 7 weigh day and I’ve lost another 3 pounds or 1.36 kg for a total of 23 pounds or 10.43 kg
    I’m really happy with that.
    Best of luck to you all on this weeks results.

• posted by Col
    on

Thanks so much hashimoto and Bill, you have both been so supportive and encouraging to this old girl!! Continued success on your own journies ๐Ÿ‘

• posted by Loosejeans
    on

End of week four, 18lbs (8.16kg) off. That’s 10% of my initial starting weight.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great results Col

At end of week thirteen I’ve lost another 5 pounds, total loss 36 pounds. That’s somewhere between 15% and 20% of my starting weight.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Loosejeans, 10% of body fat gone in just under a calendar month! Fantastic! ๐Ÿ™‚

on

Yay so week three begins today and 2kg lost last week and down a jeans size. Let’s go week three here I come. ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Please log in or register to post a reply.