'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi natasha the number of calories needed for weight maintenance is likely to be different for individuals so I think it will be trial and error once we have reached our goals. I intend to increase calorie intake until i have reached my optimum level. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by FluffySlippers
    on

Same here – no hunger, enjoying food more if anything, and the tiredness and constant aches and pains in my muscles stopped on the first day! I feel happier too, not related to success or weightloss because I am only at the start – it must just be the change in my blood sugars. I find it completely bizarre! And when I tell people about it, they think I’ve gone a bit nuts and I’m fooling myself, kind of a placebo effect.

• posted by Purplepenguin
    on

Wow Damson that is incredible weight loss well done you, I have a similar amount to lose but couldn’t get on with the 5:2. Time to change that I think, day three and seems fine so far. Good luck to you ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Kes
    on

Lovely to hear all the weight loss successes, health bonuses and especially all the positivity from this thread. My OH and I started the diet yesterday (well we started on something, not sure yet if it will turn into the full BSD or the 5:2 Med style). Breaking ourselves in gently as it’s scary to come down from a high carb intake (plus alcohol) to 800. Wasn’t going to weigh this morning after only one day but I haven’t set the scales up properly yet so had another go this morning and lost 2lb yesterday on a fast day of 500 calories. Not had the courage to take any tests to see if either of us is in the diabetic/prediabetic zone but we’ve certainly got a lot of the indicators and both of us have big bellies. I’ve also got hypothyroidism and take 150mg of levothryroxine.

Well done to everyone who’s already done so well and here’s hoping we’ll be joining you on the BSD journey to new bodies and better life.

• posted by misssay
    on

Hit the one stone off this morning – 4 weeks and 2 days in. Yay!

I’m sleeping better, feel happier, have more energy (no naps between getting home and starting the evening cooking), have had no sinus problems (previously 4-5 times a week I would wake up in the morning feeling like I had been kicked in the face by a horse!), less knee pain from an old injury. I’m sure there are more positives too!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi kes, welcome to the forums, just jump into the 800 calorie blood sugar diet, you seem to have done a lot of preparation so you should not find it as difficult as you think. I did do the tests and they helped galvanize me into action!
    I have hypothyroidism and haven’t felt this good for years, I have lost 2 stones despite having fails on other diets.
    If you decide to fully go for it you will find lots of support on these forums
    All the best ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi TrishaDawn
    It’s such a struggle with WW for little reward. Re the empty hollow feeling. I think I’ve got used to it and even like it now!!
    Good luck
    Penny

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wonderful results missay – and they will continue to get even better ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Kes
    on

Thanks for the encouragement hashimoto will give it a go. Certainly spurred on by everyone’s success here.

• posted by Inka
    on

Hello again, day 4 for me… Have not weight myself but finally measured my waist circumference:
    Shocking result, really! I am 164cm tall and my waist is 109cm…. Unbelievable.! Thought it was bad but I am nearly as wide as I am tall? Well, this makes me even more determined. Decided to weigh myself only once a week on the day I started the journey, which is every Monday morning. Felt a bit flue-ey yesterday evening, but was ok this morning. But overall, I am beginning to feel different, hard to describe, but definately better somehow! Oh, by the way, if I appear to be silent for a while, that’s because I joined you from Down Under! Not sure where you are, but I assume from the UK? Just a bit of a time difference ๐Ÿ™‚ … But still will check in and see what is happening… Great to hear that everyone is achieving such good results! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Inka
    there are quite a few Australians and Americans on the forums as well as UK users
    I think it’s great as , due to time differences, there is almost always someone active on here.
    3 days to week 1 results, you must be looking forward to that, especially as the side effects seem to be going now.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Inka, I am in the UK but there are, as Bill says, quite a few Australian and American pioneers on here as well.
    Don’t worry about your waist – it will start to shrink quite quickly as you stick to this diet! I’ve lost 7″ of mine and I know some people have lost even more from their waists.
    What part of Australia are you from? I’ve been to Sydney, Cairns, Darwin, Alice Springs and Perth – so have missed many places out, I don’t think even a year would help to see everything I would like to see there!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Mrscrimbo
    It’s sort of weird but also makes sense in terms of the science. The carbs making our sugar go up then down was making us hungry. Now it isn’t.
    But it’s still weird to live with! Especially after we ve all been addicted and suffering while not knowing it, just wondering why we had to eat too much. Now we know and we aren’t.
    Great isn’t it b
    Penny

• posted by mrscrimbo
    on

It is wonderful! OH and I are in week 4 and he has lost 20lbs . I, quite unfairly, have lost 18lbs. As he is a bit of a bear the protein keeps him happy and satisfied. Thank goodness for that as we both have so much to lose. (not as much as we had to lose though) Hope the diet is working well for you too!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Good news there, Mrs crimbo! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Great to here mrscrimbo
    Another testimonial to how well this lifestyle works.
    Honestly speaking, are you even thinking about, never mind missing, carbs and sugary things now?
    One day the world will listen and that will trigger a huge revolution in eating.
    Remember it’s not just the drug and diet companies that will have to readjust, it’s the whole food industry that has been feeding us slow acting poisons for years, there will be a lot of (very well funded) opposition when the word gets out.

• posted by mrscrimbo
    on

I never imagined I would part of a cultural health revolution at the age of 54! The sugar and drug industries will find it difficult to deny the existence of the army of melting people! In the book it talks about this approach as being as revolutionary as the stomach ulcer experiment that eventually won the Nobel. I am telling everyone who I think it can help and these days that is almost everyone!
    Hope your own journey to a healthier you is smooth.

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Hi all, just checking in to say that I’m coming to the end if my 4th week on the BSD and I’m averaging a 1lb a day weight loss at the moment. In total I have lost 19lbs. I am amazed.
    Also, my skin is JUST about showing signs of starting to improve (thank god).

This diet is a flipping miracle.

Keep going everyone! Xxx

• posted by Inka
    on

Hi All,
    Day 5 for me today— was battling with a huge headache most of the day. Was a relief when it finally went away in the afternoon. Not sure if this had something to do with the diet or not.
    Foodwise I am going okay: Just had a very tasty dinner: chicken thigh fillet with shitake and oyster mushrooms, onion, cooked tomato and a big handful of baby spinach. …
    This will be my first weekend on the diet and I am a little worried. During the week there is more routine for me and it is easier to stick to my diet plans. On the weekend, my family grazes all day and someone other than me cooks, which is usually nice, but because I have not told them about my new weightloss routine, it might be a bit difficult to avoid the carbohydrate rich foods, if they cook them…. Any tips anyone? I guess I could try to convince them to cook or not to cook certain foods, maybe…..

• posted by mrscrimbo
    on

Well done! I think we are at about the same point for time and weight loss so lets keeping powering through to our targets! (even though mine is far too ambitious tbh)

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Inka
    try sticking to the brunch / dinner idea for weekends, it works well for me, I never feel hungry but you can always have an apple or pear or a few nuts etc if you need to snack.
    Your greatest weapon when offered the wrong food is a simple no !! ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Inka
    on

Hi Hashimoto,
    I live in Canberra, our Capital, at the moment, but have lived on The NSW South Coast… About 2 hours south of Sydney, in the Snowy Mountains, about 3 hours drive west of Sydney on the other side of the Great Dividing Range and a number of other smallish towns. I was born in Berlin, and I think my love affair and ultimately what I would classify addiction, stems from the very carbohydrate rich German diet I grew up with… Its not an excuse, and I am glad that I finally found something that helps me overcome my obesity. My parents are still in Berlin, and both my mum and sister are suffering from the same overweightness, down to even the same body shape, like me. I have been telling them about what I am going. Does anyone know if the book is available in other languages? I have roughly summised the diet to them, but it would be better if they could follow and read everything themselves…

• posted by Inka
    on

Thanks, Bill, good tip. I have bought nuts and other allowed foods… and you are right: A simple NO, is really all that is required… A work colleauge ask me today what I was doing and that I looked different somehow… Slimmer in the face and around my shoulders, he said …. ๐Ÿ™‚ … I only said, that I was looking after myself and have stopped eating sugar and carbohydrate laden foods, and told him to check the BSD website out…. this is already one other person now…. Like many of you already mentioned…. this will snowball and hopefully lead to a lot more healthy people everywhere…. I heard about this book by accident on one of our news channels. They mentioned briefly it and talked about Michael Mosely’s documentaries…. This got me interested and here I am ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Inka I guess the easiest thing is to tell your family!! Or use the ‘no’ word like Bill said. I have googled the book in other languages for a non English speaking diabetic Italian with no success. It will come in other languages sooner or later. I guess you are going to have to send your family a long email explaining this diet and translate some recipes into German.
    It’s amazing how quickly people notice you looking healthier!
    I had quite a few headaches during the first week on the diet but they are now a thing of the past!
    Hope the weekend goes well and what lovely places you have lived in – I’m quite green!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Natasha, this diet is a flipping miracle, I quite agree. A pound a day is wonderful! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Inka
    on

Thanks Hashimoto, i am going over to Europe soon and I will take the book. I can go through the important parts with them and translate it. Hopefully, i will be the proof and they can see for themselves that it works… They only know me as I am now…. fat…. and if they can see my success first hand, it wont be hard to get them to follow the diet …. ๐Ÿ™‚ and yes, I will tell my family… I have started so many other diets that they stopped believing me, but this time, I am confident that I can follow this through. and show them too…:-) thanks for everyone’s encouragement and advice. It really helps.

• posted by Inka
    on

Just one other thing: I am going out for dinner tomorrow…. this might be a challenge, but I will be able to handle it…. can anyone tell me if it is OK to have a glass of winw with dinner, or should I cut it out? I thought alcohol is high in cabs, so not sure if it is OK ….

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Inka, I have had a very small glass of wine on 2 occasions in the last 8 weeks though Michael Mosley’s advice is to avoid it if you can! He suggests if you really, really need a drink try a spirit which I guess if it was whiskey you could add plenty of water! The thing to watch out for is alcohol can make you feel hungrier and then you eat more than you should, which is a double whammy!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Inka
    on

Thanks Hashimoto. OK, since I dont like spirits or wiskey, it will be mineral water for me tomorrow night. I am not a big drinker anyway, so wont be a problem for me. My friends however, always buy wine by the bottle when they go out … and will try to fill up everyone’s glass all the time…. I will beat them to it and keep my glass full of mineral water …. :-). Let you know how I went …

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Inka how about a spritzer ? Just a drop of wine topped up with soda water

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Inka, janet1973’s idea of mock mint julep is lovely,. Just a sprig of fresh mint or a mint teabag and slice of lime or splash of lime juice in sparkling water ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Missay
    Wonderful!
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Bill
    I’ve noticed if I have a tiny taste of banana or anything sweet it’s overwhelmingly sweet – not nice.
    Penny

• posted by misssay
    on

Great results Mrs Crimbo!

• posted by Inka
    on

Hi Hashimoto, Janet1973’s mocktail sounds nice and refreshing. I will drink it cold with lots of ice. It still really hot here, 35+, this will definately hit the spot. …. and Bill’s white wine spritzer is also good. This is what I usually have if I drink anything, so its great to know there wont be much change for me in this department.

• posted by Inka
    on

Hi All, just was fishing around FB and found that there is a FB group for the BSD. It is a closed group any one can join upon request. At the moment it “only” has 601 members, but it goes to show that this forum seems to be not the only space where people discuss the benefits of the diet, I really should stop calling it diet, and support each other. It can only grow and I hope that people everywhere take the step to improve their health. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Inka
    on

Hi Hashimoto, not sure what is happening, but I cant see you guys anymore nor can I see my new posts in this threat! Or has everyone stopped posting things to this thread?

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hello, Just completed 7 days in the BSD.
    In the first week I’m down 7 lbs in weight. An inch has gone from my waist. My blood sugars have come down loads, e.g. last Monday my FBS was 11.0 and today it’s 6.7 (lowest one was 6.4). At other times of the day they’ve gone from 8.5 to the lowest reading of 5.2. To say I’m amazed is an under statement! ! This is all with no exercise apart from normal day to day activities. Hoping to start some serious walks today!

on

Woo woo and one more I am over the moon and if I could cartwheel I would. Week one and I have lost 5 kg. Michael you are a legend for bringing this to our attention. Here comes week 2. ..๐Ÿ™ƒ

• posted by liviebutton
    on

In Week 2 I lost a total of 600 grams, a total of 5.7kg so far. Not as great as the first week, but hey I’m still losing weight!

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Purplepenguin – you might be able to cartwheel soon too if you keep this up! Well done!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Well done to all you guys, keep it up and keep telling people about this new way of eating, let’s get the word out.

• posted by Larpent
    on

End of first week, a few ups and downs, a bit more grumpier on day 3 and 6! Weekends too are harder as family just help them selves to food and I can’t! Weight loss 2.5kgs and 1.5 inches off of my waist. So very happy with that and has kept me more focused for the next few weeks. I have found mornings to late afternoons are fine but then all goes slightly down hill, hunger maybe or just slight boredom as I can’t just go and help myself to a piece of fruit or chocolate! Have found I’m thinking am I hungry rather a lot, need to keep busier I think as I constantly feel my stomach has an empty sucking in feeling, good I suppose! Trying to plan more this week and getting into a better routine, found I had too many calories for lunch a couple of days last week and only left 200 calories for evening meal, I stuffed several flat mushrooms with a piece of cod and pesto and Parmesan, so low in calories and with a salad was very filling. New best friends are flat mushrooms. Using grated Parmesan and crumbled feta a lot as a little goes a long way. Trouble is with high fat they are high calories too, but getting there and sometimes a tsp is all you need of fat. Kept under 40gms of carbs every day, watching carbs and sugars and monitoring both. Feeling saintly and thanks to all the wonderful motivated posts on here, good luck everyone for coming week. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by GwendolineAnn
    on

I am starting out today and looking forward to the coming week. I am a bit sceptical as to how much weight I might lose, after reading some of the fantastic losses that people have made. I did a very similar way of eating in 2014 and lost 2 stones, but unfortunately put it all back on in 2015. ๐Ÿ™ Altogether I need to lose 5 Stones, so I have a very long journey in front of me.

• posted by Monkeyescapade
    on

Hi everyone, just joined the website / forum today having started reducing my carbs nine days ago. Really encouraged by what I have read here. The shock for me was actually measuring my waist 10 days ago, the tape measure doesn’t lie – and as I don’t have access to scales (travelling for a few months), the tape measure is my only measure. However, I am so pleased and encouraged as within a week, my waist had reduced by a whole two inches. I have found the ‘dieting’ hard going as all my life my diet has been carb heavy and going almost cold turkey with no carbs has been tough, but the results speak for themselves. Afternoons seem to be the hardest so I make sure I have an apple and almonds on hand. My next challenge is maintaining the will power – just off to Thailand for a month so avoiding rice and noodles will be tricky. Will let you know how it goes.

• posted by Fi
    on

Starting Week 5 today and have lost 2lbs so pleased with that especially as I have had to curtail the exercising as I have done something to my knee! Have lost a stone altogether now which was my target for half way! BS reading this morning was 5.2. Next few weeks are going to be challenging as I am away a lot but I feel that I have the mindset now to keep going – I certainly haven’t found it hard and I know that keeping to low-carb is going to be a way of life from now on anyway. Love hearing about the successes of everyone else – keep it up!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Larpent
    Sounds like you’re doing well. That empty feeling – we re just used to keeping ourselves full! You get used to it, and now I actually like it. Once you realise it’s not actually hunger it’s ok.
    Good luck this week
    Penny

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi GwendfolineAnne
    You will lose weight on this way of eating, you have to.
    I too have quite a bit to lose like others so we are in for the long term.
    Whether or not you keep it off or for how long will depend on how wel you adapt to the Med plan after 8 weeks
    Best of luck, I’ll watch out for your first weigh in post.

on

Ha ha that would be something ๐Ÿ™ƒ

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Hi folks,
    I’be just weighed in for week 4. Only a 1.4lbs loss.
    Guess it’s just not linear. It’s still 18 lbs in 4 weeks, so I shouldn’t complain.
    Will maybe give the vin rouge a miss this week ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Please log in or register to post a reply.