Weekly weigh in and target for the week

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Hughsey34 – I’ve just realised I’ve been calling you Hughsey38 – I am so sorry – my brain must be pickled through lack of carbs!

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Jan – good luck for tomorrow’s weigh in. Hope all is well with you and that the family things are on the mend.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Morning
    Ooh dear had a few blipey days, my tiredness whatever it was really lowered my resistance, and had to do a 7 hour round trip yesterday , so eating not good, but amazingly weekly weigh in today, lost 1.3k so have lost 2.5 k in two weeks. Ooh so different from the first time. It feels definitely more of a challenge, but it is what it is. So onwards.
    Sorry to hear about your migraine Hughsey, I used to get loads of them, but don’t now thank goodness, very debilitating.
    DTNMore thank you for your encouragement when do you weigh in, how’s it going.
    Of to do a shop today get weekly menus done, walk the dog, oh yes DTNMore good going on the steps, it feels good doesn’t it once you get used to it.
    Hope you all have a good day πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹jan

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi all I’ve only just noticed this thread and I hope you don’t mind if I join in.

Welcome back Jan!

My story is slightly different to yours of losing and regaining and now getting back on track. I lost, didn’t regain any but have sort of been in maintenance mode for the last few months when I should really still be in losing mode. But all the same I’d like to join in because it’s often difficult on threads where people are talking about losing when they really have very little to lose.

Mnm I think you’re right about 5:2. I’ve been trying but failing at 800/30 for months now and I think, realistically, I would be better trying 3:4. I think I’ll give that a go from Sunday.

Ah! How lovely Krysia and Theodora. I have a husband, of a similar number of years, who I swear wouldn’t notice if I walked around with a bag over my head! Anyway, a few weeks ago he called me ‘skinny’. Hardly with lots still to lose but much less of me than 12 months ago he’s actually noticed.

LainieUk I only know about Tenerife and all the islands have slightly different weather. It should still be warm, probably in the mid 70’s in October but it can be a bit mixed. I would think if you can go before the clocks go back then you’ll get longer days so it will be a little warmer for longer. I don’t know about Gran Canaria but Lanzarote is slightly warmer but breezier and Fuerteventura is windy all year round. I guess with all islands the weather can travel quickly or just ‘sit’. The weather in the Canaries is no longer as stable as it used to be and in fact I have just had a text from a friend there and she says for the last few days it’s been misty, cloudy and muggy. Sorry not much help really!

Oh and BTW Go for the interview Laine if you never try you’ll never know!

I’m going to take the advice of Marsie and write down a plan for the next few months probably from now until my birthday just before Christmas. I’ll try to be realistic and will start on Sunday which is the first day home after a few days away.

Not sure I like rowing boats, I do like cruising, but I’ll grab an oar anyway and start rowing with you!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hey Verano, rowing is SUCH good exercise, very good for UBS😜 I know cos I have to do it physically (as opposed to metaphorically) rowing the tender out to our mooring and back😜

As far as compliments from husbands are concerned, I think they give up when we feel uncomfortable with the way we look – probably fed up getting their heads bitten off😜 Certainly my o/h had stopped mentioning the way I looked before I lost weight – if he said something nice, I didn’t believe him, if he said anything even vaguely negative it would upset me for the rest of the day. Poor man just couldn’t winπŸ˜„ Now however it is a rare day that he doesn’t say something nice about either my appearance or how much fitter and energetic I am. I am, however, under no illusion that these comments will become much more rare as the novelty wears off, but at the moment I am enjoying them😊

Making a plan sounds like a plan to me, so go for it😜

Pleased to report that after the 5lbs (all my maintenance wriggle room) gain in just 3 days, after a very low cal/carb day yesterday the scales showed an encouraging drop of 2lbs this morning so I have at least a little bit of wriggle room to face the weekend of 5 house guests 😊 Just hope the weather here improves (torrential rain/hailstones /floods for the past few days ) otherwise we will probably spend the entire weekend holed up in the pub, with all the temptations that involves 😱

Hang in there, everyone.

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Jan – so happy for your weight loss – you got this. Definitely different this time around. Sorry to hear you have a few blipey days – but we expect them now and just try and cope the best we can. As Verano so rightly advised me not so long ago – it’s not a race. I try and remember that when I go off course and try to be kind to myself. I haven’t walked in the last 3 days, and feeling a bit down today. But that’s ok. Work, family and life all takes it’s toll and I’m trying to factor all that in. I’ll go walking tomorrow hopefully. I know it’s a learning curve. My weigh day is tomorrow. So fingers crossed. My daily weighing habit shows a small loss so I am going to be as low carb as poss so I get a good reading – make me happy – lol. I feel we have a very similar history Jan. It would be lovely if we could see through to the end together. Are you up for it?

Verano – so lovely to see you here. You dragged me out of a hole when I was feeling very maudlin. Taking it a bit easier now following your advice. It’s hard to be ‘imperfect.’ but trying to be perfect did not work. I know what you mean about having large amounts to lose. It’s nice to be facing the same ‘problem’ together. So jump on board the rowing boat. Sorry we’re slumming it for now but we can all go for lovely cruise wearing our ‘incy wincy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikinis’- i would have had to have reached my target, though otherwise no chance – I wouldn’t inflict that vision on anybody. On the plus side you’ll have ‘guns of steel.’ It’s all win win on Jan’s thread here! πŸ˜€

• posted by Hughsey34
    on

Lovely ladies I am ashamed to say that I went on a carb frenzy after my migraine and to get me through the last days of term (I’m a teacher) back on it again today and have still lost 2lbs 😊 Happy weighing

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Good for you jughsey34, are you sure the migraines are not caused by carb intake. Just a thought.

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Jan – my weigh day today. Started 1st July. I’ve lost 6 pounds exactly in 3 weeks. Disappointing, as I lost 7 pounds in 1 week last year. To be fair I’m still eating fruit and about 1000cals daily. See how it goes – might have to drop to 800 cals if the loss halts which it definitely will at some point. Meantime I’m happy with this – I’m aiming for an average of 1.5 pounds per week. Nonscale victories – my nails do not chip and break -full set of nails in a very long time, have completely stopped sweeteners in all food and drink – this has been gradual process and ditching it in tea coffee has been really hard. Down to one coffee a day and trying to enjoy it. Hope it lasts. Low mood last couple days not wanting to do anything, procrastinating big time. Still not been for my walk – but I’m encouraging myself to ‘just do it.’
    Hope you have a bit more energy by now – stick in there!

Hi Hughsey – it’s a learning curve – my new saying is ‘2 steps forward-1 step back.’ Don’t know if this helps but before I go on a carbfest, I try and remind myself that I will also have to go through carb withdrawal again which includes severe headaches. Sometimes it works, sometimes I go ahead anyway πŸ˜€ Aaaah – being human ain’t easy!

Hi Verano – thinking about you. Wishing you a brilliant healthy eating day.

Good luck everybody, keep going!
    Stillgoing(slowly)dumpty.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hughsey34, well done on the 2lb loss despite the carb frenzy. We all fall by the wayside sometimes, the trick is just to get back on track, as I am sure you have done.

Dnmore, sometimes I think the non-scale victories are even better than the scale onesπŸ˜€ Though of course it’s always good to see them move in the right direction, no matter how slowly.

After another really strict day yesterday, I have got another 1lb of my wriggle room back which, in view of the weekend we have planned, is just as well. Now got 3lbs wriggle room (would prefer my usual 5lbs) but I suspect it will all be gone again over the weekend as we have 5 very hungry and boozy(and THIN) houseguests staying so there will be food and wine aplenty. One of them is a professional artisan baker and she has brought a selection of her wonderful pies, breads and cakes which I am trying desperately hard to resist. To be fair, I haven’t seen Jen since last October and she didn’t know that I’m on a low carb WOE (she was gobsmacked at my weight loss, but told me I look fab πŸ˜‹) and she has promised she won’t take offence if I don’t touch the goodies she brought, bless her – but they are very tempting! Everyone else is now having afternoon tea and cakes – hence I have shut myself away in my study and come on here to distract myself. They also brought an entire case of wine – and THAT I will partake of😜 Out to dinner this evening though, so will eat and drink whatever I like, but no refined carbs, and just hope for the best.πŸ™‚

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend, both activity and bsd wise.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Happy Sunday
    DTNMore Bril work on the weight loss, and yes I have felt very lethargic the last three days also, okay today, but as I have been munching a few of the monster things, you know shhhh carbs, I am now craving them like crazy, although not really hungry. But been for a nice long 40 min walk around the village, so getting back on it.

Hi verano lovey, you deserve to get to target, just for the fact of your dogged persistence, keep at it everything comes to those that wait.

Hughsey well done coping with the migraine and keeping a loss going for the week. The migraines I used to have also made me eat carbs and sweet things, but keep at it soon we won’t look to carbs for comfort. Well that’s what I’m wishing for πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ
    Just enjoyed some lovely sausages, because its sausage Sunday hehe
    Hope we all have an excellent week πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹jan

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks Jan. I know if I go back to eating carbs my diabetes could run riot. At the moment my medication has been reduced by 50% and my aim is to come off medication completely. I have an HbA1c test in just over 3 weeks so I need to keep going at least until then but in reality for the rest of my life!!! Hope you are back into the swing of things now.

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hey Jan – it’s ok about the carbs – it’s good you’re back on track – your walk will have used some of that sugar circulating your system, so that’s a plus. sometimes we just need to go with the feeling. Onwards and upwards. I did manage 10,004 steps yesterday but the day before just couldn’t motivate myself. Had banana icream last night (a frozen banana – lol) – my daughter was home after ages so we ‘celebrated.’ Working today – so walk out the window again. I could go just now , but I figure I’ve done my bit for the day. Keep going – wee slipups don’t mean anything! It’s the long term that couts

Verano – you’re HbA1c will be fine! Positive thinking! But I will say – sad reality , wether you are diabetic or not, we all will need to go for the rest of our lives or we will just yoyo – ah well! best of luck with your aims.

• posted by Verano
    on

I don’t know if there is a specific weigh-in day on this thread but my day is Tuesday and always has been for as long as I can remember.

So today is my ‘fresh start’ day. After just over 12 months on BSD I’ve draw a line in my journal, totted up my losses, taken my measurements and started a new page. I have divided the time to my birthday, a week before Christmas, into ‘chunks’ leading to ‘events’ in my life. So the first one is just over 3 weeks away and I’m starting this week with 1000/50 to get me back into a routine. I’m not using time specific weight goals because I find that counter productive but my first goal is to lose 1.4lb to get me back to my lowest BSD weight. Surely that shouldn’t be too difficult!!!

Hope you are all reaching your goals. Have a good week.

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Verano – My weigh day is a Saturday, I think Jan’s is a Friday, not sure about Lainie and Hughsey (how you doin’ guys?). I found it faintly amusing that none of us weigh on the the traditional Monday. Looks like you have put a bit of thought andorganisation into a plan – it sounds really good Verano. Breaking it up into smll chunks seems to make it more manageable. As you know, I put on so much weight trying to be perfect for a 8 week period – overwhelming because ‘occasions’ creep in then you feel like you have blown it. I’m on 1000cals too. Not counting carbs but the only carbs I have is 2 pieces of fruit plus most veggies per day anyway. I tried that broccli bread – I cut it into 16 pieces at 75cals per piece. It’s obviously not bread but a good substitute. Have frozen them so they will last a while – see today if it freezes well or not . Going to have 1 piece with a fried(oooh!) egg – comes in at 175 cals leaving 25 cals for a wee salad.
    Im going to try to post my weight loss every week (even when I have gained!) – that will make me stick to it! You can do this Verano – you have done it before!

Hi Jan- hope you’re raring to go today! Sister – I already have 5755 steps done and dusted (brag brag – for today anyway – no doubt I’ll be back to square 1 tomorrow – lol).

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi guys.
    We should rename this thread the soft and gentle thread by the sisters of mercy. We are all working sensibly and kindly for long term results, I’ve had an awful few days eating wise, my 3 days, triggered everything of for me, and was just eating any old rubbish, of course stopped logging it on MFP worst thing to do as it’s so easy to forget, we’ll sort of for days. I find logging it keeps me in the real world, not the barbie shaped one where I can eat alsorts of stuff and look like her. What a laugh who am I kidding, but there you go the internals of a fat persons mind. Hehe
    Anyway, back to it today, but as a consequence I’ve put on 1k so weigh day Friday, and it won’t be water as it’s over many days, it will be a miserable experience I think.
    But onwards and downwards, got to eat, so may as well make it healthy. Just to test myself just had poached eggs on toast and can’t say I particularly enjoyed it, used to love this for breakfast. So back to 1000 cals trying for low carb but not pedantically, I just can’t seem to sustain it anymore. But talking on these blogs definitely keeps me sane.
    Happy Wednesday πŸ™‹πŸ’ƒπŸ™‹πŸ’ƒπŸ™‹πŸ’ƒπŸ™‹

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Oh, Jan- I know that feeling so well where I can’t seem to stop eating even when I really really want to. I did that for the first 6 months of the year and then really had to give my self a right good talking to. I had got to the stage where I couldn’t actually walk for more than 5 mins. What I have learned is that just easing into gradually, first reducing refined sugars then cutting out, then work on eating protein at each meal – concentrating on what I can have rather than what I can’t. And you know this too – it becomes second nature in a very short time. I don’t know if this helps but what i have done is is make a list of breakfasts, a list of lunches a list of snacks a list of evening meals . The night before I choose from each list write it my diary. Takes away the ‘eating ad lib’ factor. It seems to be helping (who knows for how long though! Watch this space!).
    Anyhoo, go Barbie ! Paul McKenna (yep – tried that too) used to say -visualise where you want to be really think it, see it, feel it, own it wihyour eyes closed. He also had a DVD that was titled something like ‘Secrets of a thin person’ – turns out thin people eat everything in moderation. My problem is that I eat everything to excess! Therein lies the problem. You go girl – post as often as you like! You know you will always know I’m with you, doing this to the best of our ability, every step of this way. We all are!
    Come on Jan , we can do this! I say this to encourage myself too and everybody else too. Never mind the blips! We’re only human after all! Haven’t been walking so far today – tut tut! Bucketing with rain. Used to work with a doctor -when I said I wasn’t going for my lunchtime walk because it was raining, she would say ‘you’re not going to melt.’ Very true -but my hair will frizz up – πŸ˜€

Everybody else – keep going, for today only! And if it goes belly up (oh dear!) tomorrow is a brand new day – a clean slate!

From the soft and gentle thread by the sisters of mercy – πŸ˜€

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi all

Oh Jan know how hard it gets at times. Like dumptynomore I find 8 weeks very hard to sustain and it can become overwhelming. I find 4 week chunks much easier to stick to.

Sometimes it’s really hard to get your head back into gear when you’ve been following a plan for a long time. I think you get stale and fall into a rut with same food over and over again. I have found my ‘7days to renew enthusiasm ‘ thread really useful with some great ideas for varying your diet. Otherwise a new cook book, Tom Kerridge is very good if you’ve not read it. Even re-reading The BSD book helps too.

I’ve posted a link below from an email from Myfitnesspal that came this morning. It may just give you some inspiration. One of the tips is dumptynomores …. concentrate on what you can have not what you can’t.

’21 Dietitian-Approved Tips to Jump-Start Weight Loss’ – http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/21-dietitian-approved-tips-jump-start-weight-loss/

We’ll all get to where we want to be eventually it’s just a case of helping each other through the rough patches. What’s gone is gone you can only make today better.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi DTNMore and Verano
    Thank you girls for your kind support , remotivated and moving forward. Will try your tips.

Keep going
    πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hey Jan – that’s my girl! Onwards and upwards -BECAUSE YOU’RE WORTH IT!’ And you’ve motivated me to go for that walk – never too late – not raining now and my hair is a bird’s nest anyway:D

Thanks for the link Verano – going to check it out – every little helps. You’re about food getting samey samey – bredom contributed to me previous failures. I’ll be on the watchout for that and takes immediate steps to remedy.

Thanks for your support girls – we WILL get there. Anybody up for trekking the Grand Canyon with me on 19 October 2019 – That’s my aim to celebrate my 60th amd my pending body beautiful :D. whether I will or not is not important , just gives me something to aim for. But I really would love to be fit enough to do it – my lifelong dream!

• posted by Theamazingshrinkingwoman
    on

Hey there, Dumpty! Thanks for inviting me over.

I’m on week 2, day 3. I was really struggling today but certain lovely people supported me through it.

I lost 8lb in week one and have a diary thread in Fast 800 if anyone is interested. I’m trying to write at least a short bit every day and do a long post at the end of each week detailing meals.

So far this week the scales have stayed the same but I’ve just realised that’s only 2 days so really no need to panic…

Starting weight 15 stone 2, current weight 14 stone 8. My target for this week is to get 3lb off and I weigh in on a Monday.

Off to have a nose at the rest of the thread!

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Welcome Amazing – pull up a chair! No – scratch that – let’s go for a brisk walk! My start weight was 15stones 4.6 pounds – it took me 3 weeks to lose 6 pounds – so your way ahead of me. That was a fabulous start for you. Just looking at ’14 stones 8 pounds’ looks brilliant. Don’t worry if you don’t lose 3 pounds – I lost nothing, not an ounce, in my second week when I did this March 2016. Important thing is to keep going. I have a diary that I use to keep me on track. The first page is a sea scene at sunset and I have personalised it with ‘enjoy the journey’ – Every day when I open my diary I see that and it gives me hope and I feel happy.

Hey Jan – went for that walk – there are birds nesting in my hair now! πŸ˜€ Going to walk several times round the garden to make up to 10000 steps – 9127 at the mo) – hope you’ve had a good day. If not – here’s to a clean slate tomorrow!

Verano – hope your day’s been a good one.

Everybody else – good luck for tomorrow – one day at a time !

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Have a good day everyone – I’m off to work πŸ™

• posted by Hughsey34
    on

Saw the doctor yesterday and he wants me to go for blood tests on Friday! I suffer from anxiety which is triggered over things like that, so I will be breathing my way through it! Anxiety is pants as I’m a perfectly logical person- but it is not. I have the dentist today which is just as bad, so I will use that as a little practice!
    The ups and downs of a healthy diet eh? We are all trying our best, paddling along… good days and not so good days. I’ve not been to OA for a couple of weeks as I am focussing on working on my anxiety before I fly to LA by myself in 20 days. I’ve been going to the gym and trying to stick to the BSD for my weight and I know my triggers now, I figure there are only so many things I can work on at once! I wonder what the bloods will say… keep going everyone- 1 day at a time 😊

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Jan – how are you? Longtime no hear. Hope all is well with you. I know life can get busy but would love for you to keep in touch.

• posted by Hughsey34
    on

Hope you are ok Greenjanet?

Please log in or register to post a reply.