Weekly weigh in and target for the week

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Restarted just over a week ago and due to 3 relatives experiencing serious events it’s all gone capput again.
    So weighin today starting weight 110 k aim for the week to loose 2 kilos. Due to family probs I’m just going to use MFP to count cals up to 1000 – 1200 aim for low carb but not precise as my days are to unpredictable at moment where I will eat.
    So feeling pleased that I have made this commitment to myself. It’s the one thing I can get a bit of control over at the mo.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Do I remember that name, greenjanet. Welcome back. You should be pleased with yourself, you have taken control again.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Welcome back greenjanet, that sounds like a very sensible approach, and well done taking control again.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hey greenjanet, good to see you posting again. I empathise with you in your family upsets. There are times when all we can do is just keep putting one foot in front of the other…… good wishes to you x

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Thank you, for your kind support. It’s good to get back in controlπŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Well this week has been a bit of a non starter, weighed in with a .4 kilo increase. But not surprised, it’s so hard to eat only 800 cals on this plan when you are mostly visiting hospitals and the like, and hundreds of miles from home. But hurrah, my life is now resembling a bit more normality, as all the problems my family were dealing with are beginning to resolve.
    So new week, aim 2 kilo loss, I’m poised with my jawbone Up on and the dog is waiting with baited breath for walkies around the village. It’s lovely and sunny, and definitely fate yogurt and strawberries weather hurrah, so fitness pal waiting for a good weeks input.🌼🌼🌼

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Glad to see you’re about on the forum again greenjanet. Given the issues you have been dealing with, a small gain of 0.4k is nothing and could be as simple as water retention. Hope your determination to post a really positive result next time round comes to fruition and if not, it won’t be for the want of trying by the sounds of things.

Best of luck for the coming week.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

SunnyB
    Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. Good week so far 🀞Onwards and downwards πŸ™‹

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Well day 3, and feeling wonderful, brimming with energy, I can feel all my little mitochondria, just popping with wonderful nutrients. For the first time for weeks I slept all night with no bad dreams. Mind you that was instigated I think by working in the garden and walking 11,000 steps. I was able to work until 9 yesterday, felt so full of energy I didn’t want to stop.
    So day 1 1,200 cals 83 carbs. Yesterday 1095 cals. And 68 carbs and weight down .7 of a kilo, so Bril I feel I’m back on track, and hopefully this time I will have a clear few weeks, to apply my attention to this, then I know the feelings of wellness, energy and positivity will override any backslides into carb hell, with the, in the words of Yowser, ” where the carb monster chases you down the road, ” in order to eat endlessly rubbish nutrients so true Yowser a monster it sure is.
    Happy days. 🌞🌞🌞

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Well day 5
    Eating lush food, up to 1200 cals and carbs 50-70, today have now lost 2 kg woohoo. Better still feeling amazing, walking 10,000 steps on average, sleeping like a baby, it’s so wonderful to be brimming with energy. I am basically my hubbies labourer, on our site in Norfolk, where we are restoring three barns. So when you are carting around an extra 40 kg, its very useful to be loosing it.
    I have had a weight problem since I was 17, started at about a stone overweight, and has escalated over 42 years, well I’m 60 this Christmas, so now as I say bye bye to the pounds/ kilos, they are never going to return.
    So of now to do some cement mixing, and clearing of hedges, trees, nettles, etc in the garden in My of duty time πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€— isn’t life grand πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Weigh in for day 7 week 1
    Lost 1.2 kg must admit I’m a bit disappointed, as my loss earlier in the week was 2 kg, I’m eating up to 1200 cals and eating averaging of 50-80 carbs, last time in this plan when I lost 3 st I stuck rigidly to 800/50 but at week 9 had enormous hair loss, so had to up my protein and vit c to counteract this, so have been reluctant this time to go so low in cals.
    In view of how hard I work physically I’m amazed my loss isn’t more.
    So I will do another week and then review, it’s funny last time my weight loss was very rapid 16 kg in 8 weeks, but now very slow, but a bit of a shock, but hey it is was it is.
    So week ahead, make a weeks menu aim for 1000/50 and see how I go, will also start the exercises in the book, not that I don’t get enough exercise 🀣 But just to reinforce what I should be doing. Also continue with 10,000 steps a day.
    So onwards and downwards 🀞

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi greenjanet – I am almost 59 and practically the sameweight as you. Like you, I had good success with BSD last year. I regained a lot. Restarted again same time a you – 1st July. Keeping to it immaculately but loss is much slower. We seem to have a lot in common!
    I am content to see it go slowly as long as it goes! Everytime I see a pound go, I really hope I don’t see it flashing on the scale again! Chin up girl – we can and are going to do this! I have allowed 18 months which is when I become 60. I would love to be fit enough to trek the Grand Canyon then.

What I said to OH was this- ‘I am in this for the long haul. This is going to take at least 18 months. I cannot be perfect for 18 months.’

So -I have given myself permission to accommodate ‘problems’ and ‘life’ and then go back on the staright and narrow. Verano was very helpful in letting me realize this. Thanks Verano.

Best wishes greenjanet – I don’t post much but I was moved by your story – just showing my support
    Everhopefuldumpty

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi DTNMore
    Ooh lovely we can row the boat together, it is strange isn’t it second time around it’s so much slower, I lost three stone and put one back on, but the putting back on was very slow, it was almost like my body had forgotten how to put weight on. Hahaha it’s remembered now.
    I have to admire your long term objective, I want all my lbs gone like yesterday πŸ˜…But I am aiming for my 60th at Christmas , 23 weeks 😱Sogot to loose just under 40 kilos, so at 1 kilo a week I would have a good crack at getting there. So that’s my plan, if I do more then great.
    I’m an all or nothing person, and one slice of bread, would tip me over the edge, I suppose once I regain confidence again in my control of eating the right things, I can be less strict with my thinking. I have the large BSD recipe book, so I am going to pull out some tasty recipe ideas from that today, and also drink an extra litre of fizzy water with lemon, good vit c don’t want my hair dropping out again 😁.
    Hope your weekend goes well, bye for now from sunny Norfolk 🌞🌞🌞

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Ooh dear I haven’t set myself a goal for the start of week two. So my goal is to loose 2 kg, stick to 1000/50-60 and walk 10,000 steps. Also drink an extra litre of fizzy water with fresh lemon.
    πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Love that – rowing the boat together -and can I add – against the current – lol. I agree, the regain was slower and I didn’t regain all of it, thankfully.’ And I am definitely all or nothing! One little slip and I let it affect me for days. No more! I need to stop this.
    Greenjanet, I have spent most of my life wanting to lose it all by yesterday. It’s taken a lot to be accepting of myself and just take it as it comes. Putting a time limit on it just makes me go the opposite way.
    November last year, a family wedding was announced. I was 12stones 10 pounds ,having got down from 16 stones. Fast forward to today and wedding in 3 weeks and i weigh in today at 15 stones! I had intended to be at least 10 stones. See what I mean! So no more! One day at a time. No yesterday and no tomorrow.
    I have that recipe book too – but the calories are way out for some recipes. Which is a bit ridiculous for what is meant to be a retricted calorie diet, IMHO. I have frozen a lot of cooked proteins, makes it easy to just haul out something and have with veggies or salad. I am no Nigella! or Delia! or anybody else for that matter. I know I will soon tire of that – will maybe adapt a few recipes then.
    Oh, btw, My hair falls out lot too. For years, I could not put it down to any one cause. I used to say to my hairdresser, she should be charging me half price due to the sparcity! I think, for me, it a lack of vit D. I started taking this a while back and my hair is not too bad at the moment. I’m hoping this lastest change in diet doesn’t affect it.
    But you sound upbeat! I’ll drink to that with a cup of green tea. All the best. I’m meeting up with friends tonight – another challenge eating wise! Sigh! πŸ˜€

• posted by greenjanet
    on

AhhDTNMore
    We are like twins, strange that though how the weight came back on so slowly, it reached a point with me where I kept eating all the naughty stuff just to see what happened, WHY who knows, if I have a very good loss I get a bit blaze I think.
    I do that with the freezer, I love curry, so I make a lovely Thai curry using one tin of coconut milk, so it makes four portions. I also agree that the calorie and carb counts in all the books are totally wrong, the no carb Bircher always made me laugh it’s got something like 23 carbs in it πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
    I always succeed best when I plan, and keep myself busy, which I am trying to do at the mo. Need to do a weeks menu plan today, and get all organised. I think I will have the Thai afish cakes for dinner, a bit fiddly, but well worth the effort, very tasty, they are in the big BSD book.
    One blessing we moved here to Norfolk in Feb this year so our life is very different, as Saturdays after work were always a struggle for me, I could consume 1,000 s of cals in a very short space of time as I was so exhausted, I just ate crisps and sweeties until they came out my ears. But last sat eve I didn’t eat anything, didn’t want to way hey, revolutionary for moi.
    Keep me posted how you are getting on. πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹

• posted by LainieUK
    on

Hello Ladies!

I’m on day 2 although not my first time on BSD. I had a successful first round last year – August – September and although I’ve put weight on, I haven’t put all of it back on. I also had a round this year and averaged 950 calories and 60g of carbs – again put some on but not all.

I weighed in at 17st 3.9 yesterday and am hoping to see a 15 stone on the scales before the end of my 8 weeks. I’m hoping that we’ll have a holiday in October (after my son’s exams have finished) so provided I can keep motivated, I might even see a ’14’ on the scales. I’ve not seen that weight for over 8 years and I have some lovely skirts and dresses that I used to enjoy wearing.

I’m not working at the moment but I am looking for a job….although my attempts are very sporadic! Work always makes me pile on the weight so I’m tempted to wait and look for a job after my holiday. I’m so fed up with see a ’17’ or ’16’ on the scales and feel determined now to blast away a whole chunk of lard!

I’m also doing a Stepbet and a Dietbet challenge – I’ve never done them before and I’m finding they are really helpful in supporting new habits – especially the Stepbet.

I really need to go back and read MM’s book again just to refresh myself. And I need to have a look through what I was eating on my last BSDs. I do love the cabbage stir fry dishes on the Diet Doctors site. I make 3 portions and I am sure it tastes better the following day. I have also discovered courgetti and sprialised cucumber and carrot – they really do bump up the size of my meals and the carbs aren’t too bad. My other ‘go to’ is a packet of pork scratchings. They seem to hit the spot when I’ve got the munchies.

I’ve not tried the Thai fish cakes – I must dig out the recipe. I’ve got my Ocado order placed for tomorrow. I do find having nice food in the fridge really helpful and means I have no excuse to eat carbs.

Elaine x

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Elaine

I think we are exactly the same weight, I weigh myself in kilos though as I like the very small increment losses or gains it gives me, I don’t have fancy scales, but I weighed in at 109.2 k this morning that makes me on conversion 17.16 st, ooh I so agree how fed up I am with seeing those weights, last summer I got down to 97k ooh I felt fab, almost got to 14 something, but hey, we have three of us rowing the boat now, so we will all get there together much easier.
    What’s stepbet, I have a jawbone up which tracks everything, but unfortunately, they have stopped sinking the steps with my fitness pal, but it’s good to keep you motivated isn’t it.
    So I’m on day 8, and feel so much better now. I hope you have happy planning, and enjoy your wonderful weight losses that are just around the corner. Hey imagine this three of us in the boat, all the same weight, as we all loose weight, will we go faster in the boat or slower, πŸ›Άβ›΅οΈπŸ›₯🚀 β›΄πŸš’βš“οΈOoh that’s something to think about hehehe.
    Of to cook my fish cakes yum, threatened my husband with them he visibly blanched he’s a very boring plain eater.
    πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹

• posted by LainieUK
    on

Hi Janet

My hubby is the same. He mostly cooks his own food now which suits me just fine! I had courgetti, carrot and onion with a little bit of chilli stir fried in 1 cal spray oil with half a pack of M+S coconut and lemongrass chicken escalope – very tasty! I need to go for a walk but I’m struggling to motivate myself.

I sometimes weigh in KG. For step bet, for some reason my scales switched to KG so I kept with it. My target is 107kg and today I was 108.1kg. I have another 20 days so it should be easy enough – but I just can’t afford to go off track.

Stepbet is an online betting programme – you can get an app for it. It’s American but it seems to have been runnding for quite some time. My bet was just $20 and my fitbit syncs to the app. I think other fitness trackers link as well. The idea is 2 stretch step days and 4 active step days with 1 rest day. My targets are quite low – just under 7500 and 9500 which should be easy….she says still stuck at 1000!

I also use Instagram where I post some of my meals. It’s more for me really and it’s a good way to remember nice healthy meals.

Right, must get on and get some steps in the bank!

Elaine

p.s. which day is your weigh in? Mine is Thursday.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Elaine.
    Seems like you are all organised, Bril work. My weekly weigh day is Friday’s, but I tend to weigh daily, as I find it keeps me focused.
    Hope you have. Good weekend.
    πŸ™‹Jan

• posted by Hughsey34
    on

Ladies,
    You sound so lovely and supportive on here. I am 15.3 stone and am about to commit 😳 I have joined a gym and am doing c25k. I am also doing over eaters anonymous to get to grips with my insatiable carb monster. I want to set myself a target for 5 week blocks. What do you think is realistic for the first 5 weeks? I am 5’8 and am going to aim for 800-1000 calories a day and 10,000 steps. Any advice appreciated 😊

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi hughsey34
    Come on board luvvy, and row with us, sounds like you are brilliantly organised, I’m also doing 800-1000 and aiming for 50 carbs but not being to pedantic, like last summer. As for a target weight loss, in my simple way of thinking, it will be what it is. You will be aware looking through these threads, sometimes enormous weight loss can be achieved, I for one lost 10 lbs the first week last summer, but I was 8 st overweight. This time around I lost 1.6 k in my first week, I think what is sometimes more important, is the amazing way this plans nutrition type makes us feel, and cutting out the refined carbs, definitely for me quells my carb monster, and that unquenchable appetite just disappears. It scientifically, is also having amazing results in its anti inflammatory responses, I for one reversed pre symptoms of S.L.E. which for me was a miracle. So I ave great respect for the science behind this plan.
    By the way what is over eaters anonymous. But I would suggest plan your day’s eating, enjoy the food, drink plenty, add a little salt to your food to counteract carb flu which you may have in the initial stages. Carb flu, is withdrawal, headaches, irritability, tiredness, muscle cramps. Just counteract them by as I say drinking plenty, and add a sprinkle of salt to your veg or something. I have always done this to start the plan, and never had any symptoms.
    Keep us posted here, there are always loads reading these posts, and many very experienced in this plan, and there is always some one to guide, and give hot tips.
    It will be great to hear your progress.
    πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹jan

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi how are you all doing.
    My Thai fish cakes yesterday were very nice, and as they are very kind on cals, ended the day at 800 cals/55 carbs, Bril, and to keep the trend going, I have some pre prepped frozen Thai chicken curry I will have this evening. Sat evenings are always a challenge for me, it’s no different from any other evening, it’s just in my mind.
    How’s about yourselves.
    πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹jan

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Haha Greenjanet – that had me giggling at the idea of your OH blanching at the idea of fishcakes – they need to see how we suffer – haha! Agree with you about preplanning – I’m a lot happier since I started writing down the night before my intentions for the next day. Doesn’t always go as planned – unfortunately – was out last night -an at home get together with friends – the hostess is a feeder. Need I say more?!. The damage this morning – 15stones 1.6 pounds – 1 pound off this week. Today is a new day! So far so good.
    And you’re right about less inflammation in the body so it’s good to focus on other benefits as well as the figure on the scale.
    Those Thai fish cakes sound lovely – is that a recipe from the book or your own? Might try that. Keep up the good work! Guess what, Jan – I’m also less strict with myself – happy if remain under 1000cals and about 50 carbs – another twinny thing,eh! lol

Welcome onto our deck LainieUK and Hughsey38 – grab an oar! We all seem to be in the same boat (pun intended!). Good to have your company. What neck of the world to you hail from. I’m a wee Scottish lassie (amendment – big Scottish lassie soon to be small).

Lainie – laughed at your lack of motivation re walk. I PROMISED myself I would go for a walk first thing this morning – promising myself for months! Come this morning toddled over to window – ‘Oh, it’s raining’ went to loo trying to talk myself into it, crawled back into bed doing same, picked up kindle doing same – after 5 mins, I gave myself a right rollicking, and with all bodily cells screaming against it, I made myself go downstairs , get my trainers on and just b—– well go! I did! Result! I didn’t melt in all that water surprisingly -I’m amazed! Same again tomorrow without arguing with myself. Haha. Anyhoo – been sitting on bum for most of the day watching Wimbledon – very enjoyable – I’m good to myself!. My weigh day is Saturday – results above. Hope to do better next week!

Hughsey38 – youre aims seem to be pretty much the same as the other ‘rowers’ and mine calorie/carb/step wise. Be interesting to see how we all fair. Is this you’re first time on 800BSD? If it is – be ready for a very pleasant surprise. You won’t need OA – that carb monster will flee good and proper -I still can’t beleve how quickly that happens when you start to follw the rules. In answer to your question, I reckon you could lose at least a stone in 5 weeks if not more. My first time I lost 1 stone in 4 weeks. Those were the days, (eh Jan?). To be fair, setting targets just throws me off target (getting good at this!). My new thing , like Jan , is to just to accept any little loss gratefully and carry on best I can. Life will always get in the way and I personally need to find strategies to not succumb – last night was a total disaster! Good advice from Jan re possible things to expect. Also , you are much less hungry if you have protein at each meal and a little fat. I know this may not work for you but if I am gagging for ‘something sweet’, I allow myself a ‘Werthers original.’ – at 23 cals and 3g carbs definitely better than a slice of cake and lasts much longer. Hope this is of some use to you.
    Good luck to all of us. Keep posting – good and bad! It’s clearing the decks to get it all off my chest and start anew All hints and tips gratefully welcomed!
    Happydumpty (must have been that 16 minute walk – haha)

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Morning Dnmore
    Bril work on the walk, I was the same when I started taking over walking the dog, and now I itch to get out there, even look forward to it πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜… yep converted I am.
    The fish recipe is page 126 in the large 8 week BSD recipe book A4 size book, I got it of amazon and it was a bargain, paid about 8.99 for it should have been 14.99. The recipe is a bit fiddly to get done, but well worth it very tasty.
    So your first week has had a slow start like mine, strange isn’t it second time around how it’s so much slower. There’s an incentive if you are on it for the first time keep going. My days are seeming to average about 1200/60, but I don’t want to be too pedantic about it. But I find a fish meal day always, make the lower totals easier to achieve.
    So of for a walk now, hope everyone has a good day.
    πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹jan

• posted by Hughsey34
    on

Good afternoon lovely rowers!
    Yesterday went well I managed 820 calories and tried to stay less carby, but only did 6000 steps. I ate 2 boiled eggs for breakfast, huge salad for lunch and apple and then a count on us M&S meal that was 243 calories- I know ready meals aren’t ideal but I was super pushed for time and it seemed quite clean. Can’t believe how much you can eat! Feeling crap today though- very little energy and very grumpy 😑 going to make myself go for a shuffle jog in a bit tho. Your recipes sound delicious. I shall be watchingclosely and I’ve just bought ‘the clever guts diet! X

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi hughsey
    Don’t worry those feelings will soon pass , and then you will feel marvellous, keep up the good work.
    πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹jan

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hey Jan – no walk today – too involved with Wimbledon – a bit of a let down (the no-walk and the tennis) – might have to get a dog by the sounds. Ashamed to say I have only clocked 1412 steps and the day is nearly over. That’s my usual sedentary lifestyle – I didn’t realise I was that sedentary. Going to have to get my butt in gear! The tennis over so I can really get going now, especially since I have eased myself into the food side of things. Would be a shame to get myself too stressed out (chance would be a fine thing – lol).
    I’ll be honest – I think i’m a bit over 1000 cals too. I found last time I was really lacking in energy – fine this time around – so I don’t mind taling it a bit slower if I can stay the course a bit longer with lasting results. I’ll look up that fishcake recipe and let you know how I get on. Hope you’re getting on good too – you sound quite chipper! So I’ll take that as a good sign. Happy and healthy – way to go! I hope I don’t cave in again – I know what I’m like. But good to chat with you.
    Hi Hughsey – sounds like a good start. Don’t worry too much about the weak /tired/grumpy feelings. Cutting the carbs does that too you and things will settle down. Personally, I’ve have had to up the cals a bit – hey ho! But keep going. Our health is important.

Hi Lainie – hope you are doing okay! Give us a shout – would be good to see how you are getting on! Ups and downs – all worth sharing.

The feeling I’m getting from reading these forums and personal experience is that while much success is achieved only a handful have managed to maintain. I’m not a maintainer as we all know. I am hoping for better success to be a bit easier on myself. I really hope that works, otherwise I am well and truly ‘gubbed’ as my son would say.
    Good luck everybody – keep going –

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I think some more have maintained successfully but are not on the forum anymore, and some only pop back in occasionally to the Target Weight thread, but there are a growing number of people who are there or nearly there. The important thing is to not slip into those old habits, because it will result in the weight going back on.

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hey Mixnmatch- I agree-there probably are maintainers that are not posting. I wish they would – people like you really provide hope for people like me. I feel there are people struggling -might be wrong- me being one of them. The message has to be ‘Every little helps’ which absolutely backs up your point of not slipping into old habits and just do what you can do. I guess what I meant by my post was -if you think you might give up because 800 cals is too stringent then do what you can and hopefully, with time, you can cope with the 800 cals. I think I am just trying to be supportive and forge a ‘Let’s keep this going no matter what’ momentum.

Also, slipping into old habits will not only put weight on, but it does a lot of internal damage too and that alone should stop us from straying. For me it’s more about staying healthy given my age – although I wouldn’t be upset at looking a whole load better too!

Your story is very inspirational MixnMatch. I aspire to you and your success. Thank you for being one of maintainers that are around to keep us going. I really hope, one day, I can join you in inspiring and advising. And thanks for clearing this up – would hate for people to give up before they have even started. Take care.

Didn’tmeantomisleadanybodydumpty

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Dnomore – I agree that slipping into old habits does so much internal damage and that alone should stop us from straying. Whenever I am tempted by the bad stuff I do a little calculation in my head – it goes ‘ which do I prefer – my eyesight and feet or this sweet treat’. So far (not surprisingly) my eyesight and feet always win and I don’t succumb to the sweet treat.

• posted by LainieUK
    on

Hello Ladies!

All going well – day 4 for me. We went to see Planet of the Apes last night and went to Wagamama’s for dinner beforehand. I LOVE Wagamamas but when hubby suggested it, I’d had a relatively large lunch and was planning on salmon and courgetti for dinner. But I need not have worried – they have a fabulous new salad on the menu – c350 calories and it was SO tasty. I did succumb to ebi katsu – another favourite of mine – but hubby had 2 so not so bad. I came in at just under 1000 calories so I’m fine with that. I’ve averaged 856 cals and 49 carbs per day and 8100 steps. I’m trying to keep away from the scales for a few days as my weight has dropped by 4.6lbs and I don’t want to see it bouncing back up!

I’m hoping that we are going to book a holiday for October. I am studying for a Diploma and have an assignment due on 8th October and my eldest son has exams right at the end of September so we’re a bit restricted for when we can go. I’d really love some sun so it looks like we’ll be going to either the Canaries or Cyprus. We’ve been to Lanzarote years ago when the boys were little. We really enjoyed it but I do like to go to different places. Do any of you have any experience of these places in October/November?

Dietwise – I may have a challenging week ahead. We’re going to London on Tuesday to a Proms evening and meeting eldest son for lunch. Then on Thursday I’m back up to London for an interview. So eating out and a bit of stress will be coming my way. I’m not great with stress – hence I’m so fat! I may not go to the interview – I’ll see how I feel!

I’m going to aim for 10k steps each day and as long as my overall weekly calories are a tad under 1000 then I’ll be happy.

Right, I’m off for a soak in the bath before I start perusing the cupboards!

Elaine x

• posted by Theodora
    on

Dnmore, I’m a maintainer – though only a few months in, so can’t yet claim to be long term, but decided when I hit maintenance that I would stick around for (a) tips and support on how to maintain and (b) just as importantly, to encourage others to get there. During my bsd journey it has helped so much knowing that, not only CAN it be done, but that there are people out there that ARE doing it. So thank you to all you great maintainers who continue to help and encourage those of us following in your footsteps.

Krysia, great adage and a complete no brainer. Good to keep our health in the forefront of our minds. Have to confess that, being neither diabetic nor pre diabetic, I embarked on my journey purely out of vanity, but cannot believe how much better and healthier I feel, and really don’t want to revert to the old, sluggish half-life I now know I was living. Mind you, I also have to confess that, not only do I love the way I now feel, I also adore being slender again after all these years 😜 No intention of back sliding any time soon 😊

So keep going everyone, it can be done and you are going to do it. Just believe in yourselves.

• posted by Hughsey34
    on

Hi Elaine,
    Hope you have a good week. When you say you are not good with stress- does it cause you anxiety? If so let me point you in the direction of DARE response, it helps me and has helped so many people 😊

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

You are absolutely right Dnm, I started BSD unusually slowly having adapted straight from 5:2, and slowly increased the number of fast days I was doing while controlling the intake on my non-fast fast days too, so all were low carb and calorie controlled. (800 on fast days and 1600 on non fast days, 40g carbs on fast days, 80g on non fast days, but all the good stuff) I went from 5:2 to 4:3 to 2:5 with just 1600 on weekends, and then hit the ground running with my 8 weeks that took me almost to my target. The rest has been losing that last few pounds and maintaining since Feb 1st. I do feel that the 5:2 approach is under used, it is so flexible, and allows you to gradually get used to the idea of fasting and control without feeling deprived in any way, but I do understand that many people just want a quick fix. That wasn’t an option for me with still 5 stone to lose when I started this WOE.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Mixnmatch – as well as the health benefits I adore being slender also. We went to watch a local band on Saturday and half way through the evening my husband (we have been married for 48 years) suddenly said how lovely I looked.

Now he never ever comments on how I look – and has never done so over all the years of yo yo dieting – so it felt really good. I think it is not just looking slender but because I look much healthier and full of energy also on this way of eating. I just couldn’t go back to how I was before – and this forum has been a lifeline since I have been on maintenance.

I need to stay accountable or I might just drift back into bad habits.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Elaine.
    I love Wagamamas used to go to one in Canterbury, but now we have moved to Norfolk, there’s nothing anywhere, they are about 30 years behind the south it seems πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜… but lovely simple living. Hope your week goes well, and if you stay on plan that will help you feel even more empowered, well it works for me. πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hey Theodora and KrisiaD – good to meet you both – come on all you maintainers out there – join these lovely people to help the rest of us! I’m in a good place right now but I know that can change very easily, so all encouragement welcomed.
    Mixnmatch – you have done so well – losing all that weight is no mean feat! You have ALL worked so hard and now reaping the benefits – I take strength from that and intend to work hard too to join you in about 18 months.

Hi Elaine – good to read your post. You have a very busy life! I know that can make healthy eating a tad more difficult but damage limitation should see you right. A part of this programme is meditation- it doesn’t take long and I am convinced it helps reduce stress levels. Thanks for the heads up about Wagamamas – another place to consider if eating out! Good luck with your interview. Please consider going – I have missed out on too much in my life because of my fat and I really wish I hadn’t. A change is as good as a rest,they say – a new job just might be the catalyst for future success. Obviously it’s how you yourself feel about it in the end.

Me – I am proud and delighted to say I have already been for a walk and already clocked up 5000 steps. Go me! Lol.
    How you doin’ Jan? Right – need to go and be useful and stop procrastinating. Amybody else with procratination problems?
    Ontopofthe worlddumpty (today anyway)!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi dumnmore
    Hehe I so know that everything going well today feeling, enjoy, and don’t do what I do, eat because I’m happy 😱But yep I’m having a good day also, well done on the steps, I find it’s a good avoidance of food. I’m having a whoosh day, so I’m sure that will make the scales,look even better tomorrow, well here’s hoping.πŸ€—But phew its hot here, getting through loads of fizzy water. With fresh πŸ‹
    πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹

• posted by Theodora
    on

dnmore, thanks for the welcome. I have posted on loads of threads, but apparently not this one before. Well done on increasing your steps too.

Geenjanet, enjoy your whoosh day.

Krysia, what a lovely compliment to receive so unexpectedly from your husband of 48 years. A similar thing happened to me today. I bought a beautiful Mint Velvet nubuck leather fitted biker jacket, size 8, online and it arrived today. I tried it on, and asked my o/h if he thought it was a little on the small side. His reply………….. “No way, you’ve got a fantastic figure now, be proud to show it off!” 😊 We too have been married for 48 yearsπŸ˜‹

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Jan – you’ll be happy to know I’m up to 7501 steps I got a right shock yesterday with 1879. Made myself move my lazy butt. I normally do eat when I’m happy, sad, angry, blah blah blah…… but all that needs to stop. I tell myself food is nutrients to keep body healthy and my body is not a dustbin – haha – hope this lasts – I know what I’m like. Hot in Scotland too – lemon watwr is great – I grate some ginger into it too – supposed to thin the blood lowering the risk of heart attacks and stroke. Plus I do actually love ginger – I even chopped some up into tiny pieces for my salad today – nice. Good luck with whoosh tomorrow.
    Not sure if I should weigh myself weekly or daily. Daily , you do get minor increases depending on how many carbs and salt i’ve had – weekly tends to make me take my eye off the ball. Decisions decisions!

Theodora – you’re definitely living the dream – woo hoo! You go girl! Can I ask how much weight you lost – it’s ok if you don’t want to say. I have put all my stats on my profile page if you are interested. Good to know where everybody is coming from and where they end up.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi dnmore – thank you for your lovely comments. No problem at all with telling you my total loss – 47lbs. My original aim was to lose 28lbs, and thought that may be a little optimistic, given my chequered dietary history. But the pounds started falling off and I really enjoyed the food and, before I knew it I had completed 2 rounds and lost 3st (42lbs) so I went onto maintenance – with some trepidation I might add. I gradually increased my calorie /carb intake but still lost a further 5lbs over the next few weeks. Now I am relatively stable – if I gain more than a couple of pounds I throw in a fast day or revert to bsd800 for a day or two and any damage is reversed. I have now been maintaining for approx 10 weeks, having had a holiday and a couple of long weekends away during that time. I am really beginning to think that this WOE is sustainable and can easily be adapted to allow for holidays /social occasions etc.

I think you just have to believe in yourself and this WOE and the results will come. So keep on keeping on and you will get there. Good luck xx

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi
    Ddnmore
    You seem to be on track, that’s good, I weigh daily, I like the encouragement if good or the kick up the bum if needed, as you say a week is too long, I could eat millions of carbs and cals in that time πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜… hope you have a good day. Keep up the steps, it makes you feel marvellous once you get used to it. πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ
    πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹jan

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Ooh just had a lovely revealing moment in my mind. Today I walked the pooch, but eversince I have felt bone weary, even went for a bit of a lie down for 20 mins, I had my usual fage yog breakfast, and tuna salad for lunch, so not sure why I’m feeling so depleted, but along with it is a rather low mood. I thought I will have a cup of tea, and try to chivvy myself up. Normally at these moments I would treat myself to some sweet nibbley thing, in other words raid my hubbies sweety and bickie stash, he has to keep it in a cupboard away from my eyesight. Anyway I was sitting thinking hmmm shall I, and I realised, it was the last thing I would want to do WOO HOO, what a relief, when the carb monster, starts shrinking away into oblivion. It was such a relief to feel that I am thinking like a person with a normal appetite.
    Well I’m still feeling weary, but I am definitely uplifted now. 🌞🌞🌞

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Theodora
    Thanks for the inspiration, Bril work, πŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹jan

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well done, Jan – seems as though you are well on the way to kicking that carb monster into touch πŸ˜‡

Sorry you’re feeling depleted though – maybe the weather? Very humid here, though at the moment we are experiencing a tremendous thunderstorm, which will hopefully freshen things up a bit.

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Jan – I know I’m going to weigh daily regardless, si I don’t even know why I mentioned it. – the OH gets very sarcastic – I’ve told him to mind his own – haha – hard enough to lose weight without him chirping away in the background! Already got 7554 steps-8007 by the end of yesterday – ok I did walk afew ties around my bdroom to kick ot over the 8000). Hopefully I’m addicted to walking now – well – maybe addicted is pushing it a bit. Let’s just say, I’m not arguing with myself to go anymore. You’re right – once you’re out there , it really is lovely – the good weather definitely helps – let’s hope I don’t crawl back in at the first sight of rain!
    That’s a proper breakthrough -declining sugar. Onwards and downwards Jan. I know what you mean about low mood -I think a lack of sugar does that in the beginning – I may be wrong – I’m ok just now but I’m still eating fruit so I don’t know if that’s having a positive effect. Will probably need to cut that out when the weight loss stops. But chin up girl – we got this.

Theodora – you story is very inspiring. It’s good to maintenance techniques – I am mad at myself – I lost so much weight then regained – probably because I lacked maintenance skills. I’ve a long way to go – but I’ll keep your methods in mind, because I never never want to have to go through this again. I know I can’t go back to bingeing but that’s ok. – life is so much easier when I can move easily, I’m happier and healthier, not to mention wearing lovely clothes. I have clothes of all sizes – must be over 100 items. And I have about 3 things that I can get into right now. I am proper ashamed of myself. No wonder OH keeps banging on about it!
    Don’t know what he’s going to moan about when I finally lose it. Haha – I’m sure he’ll find something. Anyway lovely talking to you both and anybody else that might be reading me rambling on.
    Stillonthecasedumpty

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Note to self, down 1.3 k this week so far, .7 k to go to reach weekly target on Friday. Which at this stage is doable as I am loosing approx.3 of a kilo a day.
    So focus, stick to my daily plan, and ignore tiredness, and any distractions. Keep at it jan

• posted by Hughsey34
    on

Good for you green Janet! I felt great yesterday but have horrific migraine today. Hoping it’s just coincidence and not to do with carb cutting- fingers crossed 😞

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Keep at it indeed Jan – that’s good going – great going in fact! Hope you feel better soon though. Yesterday’s steps 10,503 thanks to you and your dog. I’m baby sitting today and finished off the litttle one’s soup – tut tut.

Hi Hughsey38 – feel for you – but the good thing is that if it carb related that will stop soon. Good luck.

Please log in or register to post a reply.