Week 7 but still getting high blood sugar readings

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Hollivale
    on

Hi everyone, I am looking for some support.
    I’ve had T2D for over 13 years and have been rubbish at managing my weight and eating properly. However, since reading an article on the BSD I am a convert and have embraced my new healthy way of life! I wasn’t too overweight to start with but carrying far too many excess inches round my waist (classic) but over the weeks I have lost 4″ and a stone in weight bringing me to 9st 10lb. I have been testing my fasting (overnight) blood sugars and they are still far too high and I am really disappointed. My reason for going on the BSD was to be diabetes and medication free and although I am not taking any meds (I stopped on day one with GP consent) I thought that nearing the end of the 8 week programme I would have turned a corner at least. I’m concerned that when I have a 3 month retest that my GP will recommend meds as a supplement to my healthy eating – I love my new food and won’t be going back to my unhealthy ways. I’ve also really upped my daily exercise – thanks to Fitbit – and getting better sleep. Is there anyone else out there that has experienced the same? (Sorry for long post!)

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Hollivale! I’m not diabetic so I cannot speak from experience on that issue (someone else will chime in) but ALL the research points to the benefits of low carb way of eating and the protective effect on your brain as well.
    Don’t give up (it sounds like you won’t) just stay on it and keep cutting those carbs — can you get them very low, say 20 grams per day? It will help tremendously, even if it isn’t perfect. Keep us posted as you move forward — your information will be very important to many people here who share your issues.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hollivale – you have done so well – losing 4″ and a stone in weight. I have T2D which is in remission and keeping the carbs at around 20g (as advised by California girl) really helps my blood sugars. I was on both fast acting and slow acting insulin injections before the BSD and keeping low carb has helped me come off the insulin and reverse diabetic macular oedema and retinopathy.

I did wonder if you have the ‘dawn phenomenon ‘ . There is a wealth of information on this forum about this issue. Just type it into the search box at the top of the page to access the advice.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Hollivale

I have Type II diabetes and mine has also gone into remission through following the BSD. You don’t say how many grams of carbs you have each day but as Californiagirl and KrysiaD advise keeping the carbs as low as possible (I also keep <20g of carbs) seems to be a key element in getting your blood sugar levels down – that bit I picked up from others experience on this forum more than in the BSD book itself.

I was also super strict on portion size and weighing out everything so I stuck rigidly to the 800 cals which meant I lost quite a bit of weight quickly (although I still had weight loss plateaus etc). Losing a stone already is great and 4ins off your waist is a great sign that your losing weight from the right area.

When I first came on the Forum I read the thread started by Bill1954. (It’s called something like ‘This has to work’). If I recall he’d had diabetes for many years (maybe 20) and yet the BSD worked for him. If you haven’t read it already it’s worth a read, it’s quite inspirational, as is Captain Lynne’s story (another previous poster) and currently people like KrysiaD, Verano and sunshine-girl (and others). It does work but everyone’s different – it can just take a while.

About when you go back to the GP, one tip from me is if you are in the UK it might be worth seeing if you can get online access to your medical records, which would include your Hba1c results. (Many GP practices offer this now and its fairly straightforward to do). I found it invaluable as you can see your Hba1c results before your GP/practice nurse appointment. It gives you time to consider the result and prepare what you want to say (and/or any questions you want to ask) when you see your GP or practice nurse.
    Best wishes – let us know how you go.
    Marie xx

• posted by marie123
    on

Btw, I’ve just remembered that Bill1954 gave up taking his fasting bgls in the end because they were high and/or erratic – definitely worth a read https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/this-has-to-work-for-me/

Edited: I’ve just read the beginning and it says he was diagnosed 4 to 5 years ago – apologies, Hollivale, the 20 years must be someone else.

Please log in or register to post a reply.