Week 4 on BSD – been reading the forums since day 1

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KJ77
    on

Hi all – I have been following the forums closely since I started the diet and have been encouraged and egged on reading everyone’s postings and experiences. I am hugely overweight (started the programme just over 3 weeks ago at 23 st 8 lbs). I had gestational diabetes and was on insulin whilst pregnant with my daughter who is now aged 3½ and that experience made be vow that I would do everything I could to make sure I didn’t go on to develop type 2 diabetes and I had got my weight down to 18 stone – still massive however I felt in control and was still losing – however over the last 2 years since returning to work full time (in a largely sedentary job) – quick convenience food and lack of time for myself took over and I am a closet binger and ate in secret a lot – chocolates and pastries. I got a shock when 6 weeks ago I went into see my GP and she asked me to do my annual blood sugar fasting test (as I had gestational diabetes I get tested annually) as well as all the routine blood tests just to check I was on track and I was horrified to have a fasting blood test result of 7.7 (which I understand is fully in the prediabetic range). She called me up and asked me if I would go and do another fasting test in a month’s time just to see if it was a one off etc. Well I put my head in the sand for 1 week and whilst online downloading some books on my kindle I came across the Michael Mosley BSD book which I downloaded and read cover to cover in an afternoon, I then read it again over a couple of days to absorb it and decided I would give it a go as I needed to take back control!! I downloaded my fitness pal to track calories and bought a fit bit – and here I am half way through week 4 having lost 21 lbs and I had my fasting sugar done end of last week and got a reading of 6.6 – so still high and my doctor has asked me go in and see her to discuss it – however I have a good relationship with her and I am hoping that she will let me finish the 8 weeks and do a new set of tests to see where we are at. I have booked my appointment for the 8th June so gives me another couple of weeks to try and shift some more weight as well.

I expected to really struggle with the diet and although I had headaches and the shakes for the first couple of days I stuck with it and am really enjoying the way of eating. I have had 2 “bad days” one on my husband’s birthday where I had a bottle of prosecco and a slice of chocolate cake and felt hideous the next day and last week I couldn’t resist ordering a burger whilst out with friends for lunch – however I hadn’t had breakfast and didn’t have dinner so was within the 800 calories – I didn’t eat any of the chips and I had horrible bloating and discomfort afterwards – so lessons learnt! The one thing that has changed for me is that despite messing up it was easy for me to start again on the regime straight away (as I always make excuses about why I can’t do it now).

Really hope that I am able to stick to this way of eating – I plan to try and continue for 12 weeks and then transition onto 5.2

• posted by JCH187
    on

Well done, that’s a fantastic start, you must be really encouraged!

Sounds like you’re in the zone now, so good luck, you can do this!

Please log in or register to post a reply.