Week 1 – check

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Syb
    on

I have been lurking on the forums for a couple of weeks and finally started last Monday. I considered not introducing myself but think I may need the support and accountability. I am a type 2 and have been kind of denying this for about 4 years now. I am on tablet meds for diabetes, cholesterol and blood pressure and my last test was so bad my doctor had booked me an appointment with the diabetes nurses to start on insulin.

Everyone has been saying how easy they have found it. I haven’t. I’m not starving but I am definitely a carb addict. I always have sandwiches for lunch, having switched to multigrain and low gi in the past years. This week has been hard. I tried a quiche but it wasn’t really me. I moved to salads and meat which is ok but still missing my bread. For breakfast I have eaten cereal all of my life, again moving from junk to muesli in my later years. Now it’s yoghurt and fruit. Really not the same.

But, the good side, fasting blood sugar less than 10 for the first time in ages this morning. A couple of kilos down. It’s working!

• posted by Lise
    on

Hi Syb and well done for your first week. I am one week in and three kgs gone forever. I have found it strange not eating cereal and sandwiches too but am determined to reprogram this. Are you trying some of the carb recipes from the book like Bircher Muesli or almond butter? Keep up the good work Syb 😉

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Syb
    Welcome & well done. This isn’t easy neither is having Type 2, (me too, 3 years). I don’t want Type 2 anymore & this is my chance to reverse it, so I’m taking a chance it will. Understood no guarantee, but better odds than all of us T 2’s have ever had before.
    If you want that chance more than you want insulin then do what it takes! I loved simple carbs, BUT THEY DON’T LOVE ME!!! We’ll help. Do this for you
    Eureka

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Syb,
    Well done on facing up to the need to do something about the diabetes! It is such a huge shock to be diagnosed (2&1/2yrs for me), and an even bigger shake up to your eating habits. So hanging out with the BSD crowd is a good move cos you’ll get lots of support and advice. 🙂
    Try the gram flour flatbread recipe on this site. You can use it as a wrap instead of sandwiches.
    All the best… It’s a steep learning curve but the outlook from the top is so worth it.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Syb,
    Thanks for taking the step and posting.The support on these forums is valuable. The simple carbs have a really strong pull on some of us, don’t they?
    Have you tried some seeds and nuts with your yoghurt and fruit? I find that the crunch makes it seem more like breakfast.
    You’ve had some positive results at the end of week one – well worth the effort.
    I, too, am going to try the gram flour flat breads Cherrianne mentioned.

• posted by Syb
    on

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will try some seeds and nuts on the yoghurt and see if it helps. And I’ll take a look at the flatbread and the other carb recipes.

I had a fasting blood sugar of 7 this morning. So motivating!

Please log in or register to post a reply.