Visiting Australia

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MREY
    on

We are visiting Australia in September and interested to hear from anyone who lives there or has recently visited who are doing the BSD. How do or did you manage? We’re driving from Sydney to Cairns and flying to Alice Springs where our son lives. After that, it’s a drive back to Sydney.

Many thanks in advance

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi MREY,
    In the welcome to the BSD forum is a thread called low carb foods in Australia. Introduce yourself there and I’m sure you’ll get plenty of tips.
    Eating out in Aus is fairly relaxed and you’ll almost always find places that are willing to adapt a menu for you.
    If you are on the road the big supermarkets here, Coles and Woolies, both have ready prepared salad bowls of different types. Also McDonalds, not known for healthy choices, does a great ” build your own” salad with either chicken or haloumi as the protein and a choice of salad veg etc. it’s good value $ wise too.
    Enjoy your holiday here, hope the weather holds up and the £ increases in value again before your trip.

• posted by MREY
    on

Hi Cherrianne

Thank you for the very valuable information which I’ll add to my Australian file and I will take a look at the other post you mentioned.

Fingers crossed for the £…

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi MREY
    I live in Sydney and find that ordering steak and salad whenever I go out works for me. Our food is so multicultural now, that it’s sometimes hard to find things not covered in rice or noodles!
    Would you like to catch up whilst you’re here? I can take you on a walking tour of the city…perhaps other BSD’ers would like to join us on a walk across the bridge and through The Rocks, The Botanical Gardens & the city?
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by spcox
    on

Hi MREY,
    I’m in Tasmania. Most restaurants will accept changes to an order so feel free to make them. Sauces, oils and dressings can be dumped on without notice, so take heed. Everywhere will usually put them on the side though.

Alice Springs has enough supermarkets that you’ll be fine. I was there 12 months ago and had no problem making my own meals. If you go to Uluru, that would be a challenge as there are very few places to eat and no shops (to speak of).

Pub meals (almost everywhere) will be your challenge, although most do steak. Fish can be a problem because it’s usually frozen and battered or crumbed.

Calorieking is an Australian calorie counter website. This might be useful.

But overall, you’ll be fine. Enjoy!

• posted by YayaM
    on

Hi Mrey ,
    I live in Australia & love to eat out . I suggest Italian & Asian . Prosciutto plus a rocket pear & parmesan salad or grilled snapper ( or other fish ) & spinach . A very occasional glass of pinot noir with it , or eat asian , there is a huge choice here , Thai beef salad or chicken larb , grilled prawns , steamed fish with ginger & shallots are just a few & great with a pot of green tea . Vietnamese has lovely light options & Korean BBQ with vegetables / kimchi . I find steak days I don’t lose as much . We have lots of salad bars too . Always ask in a restaurant if you want a meal modified , most places are happy to help . Have a wonderful stay !

• posted by gettingthere
    on

If you come to Brisbane there is a restaurant owned by chef Pete Evans and it is no carb restaurant which I am going to go to when I hit one of my milestones.

• posted by MREY
    on

Hi YayaM

Thanks for the info on the wide variety of cuisine and it’s good to know a meal can be modified. We’re not fussy eaters but want to stick to the BSD even though we’ll be on holiday. I’m sure we’ll have a great time and are looking forward to it with great excitement.

• posted by MREY
    on

Hi spcox

Fortunately, my daughter-in-law will cook well for us and she’s asked if I need anything special. Thanks for the tip on Uluru as we plan to go there. I’ll make a point of going onto caloriekng – it’ll give me a chance to familiarise myself with some of the product names.

Another time I’d like to visit Tasmania. My grandmother lived there but I never knew that side of my family.

Thanks for your help

• posted by MREY
    on

Hello gettingthere

That’s interesting. I’ll mention it to our son’s in-laws as they know Brisbane and I’ll add it to my list of places to go en-route. Thanks for the info.

• posted by MREY
    on

Hi LindA

Caching up would be great if it would work and probably at the end of our trip. We leave on October 31st and plan to be in Sydney a couple of days before that.

Keeping pasta out of our diet is key for us. Just given some unopened packets to my neighbour after clearing out the larder today

Thanks for the invitation and I will keep you posted on the itinerary.

• posted by MREY
    on

Hello again Cherrianne

I looked at the thread you mentioned – thanks for that.

Herman’s Brot looks like German pumpernickel. I managed to buy some today as it has a low net carb and I do like the stuff – sadly, my husband doesn’t. I also managed to get a reasonably low gluten free which is ok for toast. It can be quite difficult to find things that are just that little bit “different”.

Thanks again for the info.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi MREY,
    Looks like you got the great Aussie welcome and advice you were hoping for. The Herman Brot bread is not quite as dense as pumpernickel and doesn’t haven’t the distinctive ‘sour’ taste but is seeded bread. Delicious and moist.
    Gluten free bread is available in supermarkets here. Aldi has it quite cheap and it is lower carb than other bread but higher than the Herman Brot.
    You can find Paleo Cafes of the type run by Pete Evans ( mentioned by getting there) in many big towns and cities.
    Mind you, if you listen to all of us you’ll be spending all your time eating or visiting cafes lol 🍴🍷

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Hi MREY

The paleo style cafe that I like a lot is Thr1ve. http://thr1ve.me/a/stores

They have excellent choices and are very BSD friendly.

Theres a few branches in Sydney. They had a branch near my job but they just recently moved and I was raging!

Hope you have a great time here. I love the cafes here in Sydney, I just have steer clear of the luscious banana bread but the coffee here is fantastic, my other tip would be go for a piccolo latte so you can get the shot without all the carby milk.

• posted by MikeC
    on

Hi I live on the Gold Coast see my post 4 weeks in .
    Mike

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi MREY
    Sounds like a plan. Post again when it gets a bit closer and I’ll give you my email address and we can make some plans.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi I have just come back from a lovely long holiday in Oz. You won’t have any trouble and you will not believe the size of some of the tubs of greek yoghurt you can get – more like buckets!!
    You will have a great time
    Hashimoto

• posted by Nettle
    on

G’day and WELCOME BACK HASHIMOTO

I was searching and wondering , I must have missed the bit where you said you were going to the antipodes. I am not far away you could have popped over!
    N

• posted by MREY
    on

Thanks Hashimoto. Greek yogurt is my favourite

• posted by MREY
    on

Will do Linda X

• posted by MREY
    on

Thanks Sydneygirl. I’m so looking forward to sampling café life in Sydney. Thanks for the tip on the coffee. I normally take it black but I do like a latte.

• posted by MREY
    on

Certainly have Cherrianne – lots of great tips. Have bought some gluten free bread for the odd bit of toast, mainly for my husband; he’s still kicking and screaming!

• posted by dtermined
    on

We travel a good bit in Australia. I suggest you stop at one of the big supermarkets and buy yourself a cheap coolbox (eski in aus lingo) or cool bag. Otherwise your purchases will very warm in the car. You can then stock up on allsorts of fruit and veg for lunch otherwise on the road outside of the major towns you will get a limited choice, sometimes the only choice is a meat pie. Another tip is stay in cabins in caravan parks and cater for yourselves, cheaper and more varied than pub grub. Cabins have good basic kitchens and are usually spotless and very comfortable.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Welcome back Hashimoto!! Have missed your postings and inspirations an am glad you are back. Hope your trip was fun and amazing! I hike to get to Australia or Nee Zealand next year!

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

Anyone “seen” Judith recently (Hashimoto) – don’t recall seeing a post for a while – perhaps she’s on forums that I don’t sign in to regularly.

If you’re there, Judith, let us know you’re ok

John

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi John

Judith’s not been on here much since she went on holiday. Had problems accessing the forums to post on her phone and not using her computer much.

I know she’s been busy, and hasnt been too well.

Hopefully she’ll be back posting soon.

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

Lynne,

Thanks for the update.

Judith,

If you do see this – know that we all wish you well and are looking forward to your return to the fold.

John

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to hear Judith is okay and might be back with us soon. I’m sure many of us miss her wisdom.

Please log in or register to post a reply.