very low b/g what to eat

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I posted about this yesterday but cant seem to find it. In short, b/g 60 (3.3) an hour before dinner, which I find scary, what do I eat. Obviously not what a nutritionist told me BREAD and SWEET JUICE for a quick repair. I don’t want to black out.

• posted by Poppyflower
    on

Hi Sunshine girl,
    I think it’s important to know if you are type 1 on insulin or type 2 on insulin or oral medication.
    If you have taken a long acting insulin you will need some glucose (sugar )To get your blood sugar up as the insulin will continue to drop your blood sugar. I would have some juice and a complex carb as well and keep testing blood sugar to endure it is coming up.
    If you have taken oral hypoglycaemic medication you could try bringing your dinner forward and eating some complex carbs and maybe a mandarin or an apple for dessert but keep testing your blood sugars to ensure its coming up. Ensure you have protein and fat in your meal.
    If you haven’t taken any medication or you are not diabetic or don’t have any other medical condition affecting your blood sugarsit is unlikely you blood sugar will continue to drop but you could have a piece of cheese or some nuts and try bringing meal forward if possible.
    If you take insulin or oral hypoglycaemic medication you probably need to reduce the dose to prevent this being a daily occurrence as your medication needs are likely to be dropping on the BSD.
    Hope this helps

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Poppy, I am type 2 (diagnosed for 10 years), I take long acting insulin in the evening plus 3 diamicron tablets in the morning. The reason I inject is because I suffered from chronic and constant tummy troubles on oral meds. Obviously my b/g is going to be low on 800 calories but I also have a swim most afternoons and I didn’t want to fall back into relying on things like bread or high sugar juice. I think I probably did the right thing by having some ham and strips of red pepper. Checking through a list of complex carbs I now know I can turn to a small greek yogurt with a couple of prunes. Obviously, I keep checking until it passes. The funny thing is when I had my only hypo in 10 years my b/g was 125 (6.9) so there is no accounting for how your body can react. Fortunately, I can recognise the signs that I am low before it goes too far and I am able to react immediately, either at home or with my emergency supplies in my handbag.

On your last point about reducing meds, this is my aim and I have gone from 37 units to 35 last night in one week and will further decrease by one unit every few days if I continue to see such good results. I see my doctor in 5 weeks and hope to have greatly improved my HBA1C from 11.2 a year ago, to a more normal range.

Thank you for replying.

Please log in or register to post a reply.