Vegetarian

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nella
    on

I’ve recently been diagnosed as diabetic and am keen to give this diet a go. However I am a vegetarian who doesn’t eat fish either. Carbs have been my main diet, which is probably partly what has got me into this mess. Does anyone have any advice on what I could eat on this diet beyond just salad? Any help appreciated. I really want to start this diet.

• posted by lauren
    on

Eggs, any sort of cheese you like, all the different Quorn products, beans, lentils, tofu… There are other threads on here with veggie suggestions if you search for them, and also some recipes in the recipe section. I’ve only eaten meat twice since starting 3 weeks ago and honestly it hasn’t been difficult at all – you soon adapt to no carbs ๐Ÿ™‚ one recent thread to look at is called ‘NEEDED โ€“ 800 DIET IDEAS TO HELP VEGETARIANS AND VEGANS’

• posted by Nella
    on

Thank you Lauren. This has given me some hope. I had been worried about what I’d eat but knowing you’ve managed to do it mainly meat free is encouraging!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Nella,
    Welcome to the forum. The BSD is just the best remedy for diabetes ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’m vego too and completed the 8 weeks with no problems. Have your usual foods but substitute something else for the carbs. Cauli mash instead of potato, no carb noodles or ‘rice’, I forget the brand name used in the UK but it’s made of Konjac root. Frittata instead of quiche. Try the gram flour flatbreads with curry instead of naan bread or rice. Soup and fried haloumi instead of bread or croutons. You could come up with heaps of ideas once you start thinking of low carb but filling foods.
    There are also quite a few veggie recipes on this site you could try.
    Keep in touch, there are quite a few vegetarians on here who can help out. Some diabetic, others wanting weight loss to prevent diabetes.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Nella,
    LIke Cherrieanne, I have completed the 8 weeks and now 3 weeks onwards. It is harder as pulses which provide a lot of vegetarian protein are high in carbs, so getting a very low carb (under 50) means you have a lot of eggs and cheese!
    It is doable, but needs a bit more readjustment than I expected when I read ‘eat lots of veg’ :-). As a veggie, that should have been easy!
    There is a cauliflower rice for sale in most major supermarkets, I was not too impressed, but others have found it to be good. The other product is ‘barenaked’ rice. I think this is what Cherrieanne is referring to. I have a packet, but not yet used it. I am more likely to try it in the 5:2 phase as I am full enough when I make a stir-fry without needing any extras.
    Good luck and just ask when you need help. There are quite a few veggies around!

• posted by Nella
    on

Thank you Cherrieanne and Orchid. It’s so nice to get advice. This appears to be a very friendly and helpful forum. I had thought it might be impossible to do this diet as a vegetarian, but all your ideas suggest otherwise. Really appreciate it!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Thanks Orchid, it was the bare naked rice I was thinking of. That name should have stuck in my head lol ๐Ÿ™‚
    It’s sold under a different name here in Aus.
    Nella this is a very friendly, supportive forum and you will get great advice and support. So hang out with the BSD crowd, they’re part of the secret to success in this way of life.

• posted by Nella
    on

Thank you Cherrianne. I won’t be starting the 8 weeks until beginning of June, need to get an exam and a holiday out of the way first. Just trying to figure and plan things out at this stage. Looking forward to chatting more with you all on the forum.

• posted by leonardturner
    on

Hi Nella,
    You can have in your diet oranges and other citric fruits. Drink milk rather than eating high-fat dairy products as these products have high cholesterol level. You should include in your diet fiber rich food like vegetables, nuts, wheat bran, etc. and good fats like almonds, olives, etc.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Nella, if you start your diet in june you will have gathered lots of meal ideas and will be really ready to start! You could think of a kind of ‘dummy run’ by trying some of the recipes now and again to find out what you like.

The full fat greek yoghurt with a few seeds/ berries makes a delicious and easy breakfast, it’s also filling so should help while you are swotting for exams!

This diet REQUIRES you to eat FULL FAT, don’t worry about cholesterol – some of us veterans of the BSD have recently had cholesterol tests which show our levels have been reduced or are now normal. You need the fat to keep you feeling full and to reduce the amount of carbs you eat.

This diet is totally different from any other, so just go with the principles of low carb, high fat and 800 calories and you will be amazed! We all feel so much better, more energetic and less ‘foggy brained’

Keep off the oranges and stick to berries with the occasional apple or pear during your 8 weeks ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Nella,
    I’m with Hashimoto on this. You need the full fat to keep full. I used to have 100ml skimmed milk yogurt with seeds and oats and berries for breakfast and then a slice of bread. That has been replaced by 60ml full fat yogurt with seeds, and more berries and I am full.
    Likewise fruit – MM’s book has soft fruit including pears and apples as an occasional treat, but soft tropical fruits as a no.
    If you have Rose Elliots low GI book, a number of those recipes are easily adaptable to this – chunky ratatouille with parmesan cheese is very filling for both a meal and the freezer!
    looking forward to your progress.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi. I’m with Hashimoto too.

Full fat helps us feel full for longer.

As a type 2 diabetic I avoid oranges as they spike my blood sugar.

• posted by Nella
    on

Wow, thank you all so much for the advice. I love how helpful everyone is on this forum, it’s actually making me quite excited about starting the diet so I can be a part of this family!

Just one question. Are grapes ok to eat? I love grapes and would probably eat lots of it if I’m allowed.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Nella, I suspect you have just answered your own question on grapes! I have not had them for similar reasons, if they are nice they are too moreish. The allowed fruit as per the book, berries (blue, black, rasps), apple, pear; in moderation. The odd grape will be fine, if you can stick to the odd one.
    good luck

• posted by Nella
    on

Thanks Orchid. It’ll be hard but hopefully worth it.

Please log in or register to post a reply.