Unattainable holy trinity: Low Carb vs Low GI vs Low Calories

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by spcox
    on

After 10 weeks and 20 kilos lost, I’m starting to work my way into normal life, but staying on 800 calories when I can.

One of the major issues I’m facing is balancing low carb vs low GI vs low calories.

For example:
    – Popcorn has low carb, low calories, hi GI.
    – Chick peas – low carbs, high calories, low GI
    – Watermelon – low carbs, low calories, high GI.

WTF!!!

I’m half tempted to ditch the pursuit of achieving the holy trinity because there are no clear answers or directions.

The 8 week BSD is low calories and got me this far. I’m tempted to keep going, while flirting with slightly higher calories to fit into society very occasionally.

Anyone else struggling with this concept?

• posted by Izzy
    on

I know that Bill doesn’t count calories, only carbs.

I think that trying to overlap too many concepts will never work, Popcorn is processed so probably not in keeping with BSD, chick peas are – just control the quantities for calories. Melon is not recommended on BSD due to the sugar content which is what makes it high GI.

What I have done myself is that mostly I follow BSD principles. If we are out for a meal I don’t bother with calories but I try to choose something in keeping with BSD. Some nice salads out there… and if that isn’t grabbing my attention I may choose a compromise dish. For example chicken in BBQ sauce knowing there will be some sugar in there but ask for extra veg instead of rice or pasta. Very occasionally I will ditch the BSD for ONE meal – I had chips whilst out a few weeks ago. Very occasionally I will have one small bar of chocolate. Whenever I have my deviations I just jump back on BSD asap. Sometimes at the weekend I go over calories but still try to keep my carbs low. My progress is slow but most weeks I lose a little and I’m enjoying this way of life so I am pleased to continue this way.

If you had popcorn now and then, or melon – it won’t kill you.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

I agree Izzy – I try and keep carbs low if I can as I am on maintenance

Over the weekend we have been away.

So – breakfast has been 3 cups unsugared White Americano coffee (no use worrying about full fat milk, just take what I get)
    plus scrambled egg and smoked salmon. I don’t eat meat – OH had bacon instead.

Lunch has been M&S picnic on 2 days – feta cheese and tomato Greek salad

Another day it was a cafe salad – we didn’t have potato salad or the rice part, but the rest was lovely – OH had ham and I had smoked salmon (again!)

Two evenings out – one I had fresh fried whitebait with a salad, and the other seared salmon with Niçoise salad (didn’t eat the potatoes). OH had steak + veg

All very easily achievable and it added to about 1500 calories per day with carbs well under 50.

Given I also did a lot of walking about and my base metabolism needs about 1500 calories, I am very happy with that.

Tonight I made my own egg curry and the total calories was 535 calories (coconut milk pushed it) and 19 carbs so daily total still under 50 carbs though calories just above 1500.

I find MyFitnessPal a godsend and now have some go-to recipe bases which seem to be really adaptable.

Mmmm that curry! yum

Please log in or register to post a reply.