Type 2 diabetic with sarcoidosis

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Polly
    on

I’m turning 40 tomorrow. Just read the book and I’m so inspired to start even though I have lost over two stone in the last 3 months. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in January 2016. At the same time I was having investigations for nodules in my lungs which thankfully turned out to be sarcoidosis and not pulmonary lymphoma. I have been following low carb, high protein diet. I would love to know if its OK for me to do the 8 week diet while I’m on steroids for the sarcoidosis. I know the steroids are raising my BS and I’m now down to one metformin/day from two as the steroid dose reduces. My plan is to come off the metformin once I finish the steroids or if my BS levels stabilise if I am able to partake in the 8 week diet.

Can anyone advise me? I am going to say it to my consultant next week when I meet him.

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Hi Polly!

Welcome to the forums! Whilst I cannot answer your meds question. I can recommend the diet! Congratulations on your weight loss! Since you’re already low-carbing week one should be mostly pain free.

Good luck and keep us posted. If you have a question, just ask – the wonderful people on this site are amazing helpers.

Cheers,

Deb

• posted by Polly
    on

Thanks Deb. Was so impressed by the book and I have recommended it to my diabetic brother too. I must get the OK from my consultant before I start.

Polly

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Polly,
    In the book is a link to info for health professionals, page 118. If you can, download and print off the info for your consultant. At the very least copy down the link. The better informed your consultant is, the more likely it is you’ll get good advice.
    I think you would get approval to go ahead, anything to counteract the effect of steroids on appetite and blood sugars is surely a good thing. 🙂

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

PS Polly,
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY

• posted by Polly
    on

Hi,

Met with my consultants registrar yesterday and asked him about the 8 week diet. Typical doctor he started talking about faddy diets and 800cals couldn’t sustain anyone for a day. He said I need at least 1400cals/day at least because I was on steroids and metabolically I need to be taking in cals. He then started on about portion size and cut down on fat and sugar. I told him its not the fat making us fat its carbs and sugar and processed food. I couldn’t bo bothered agruing with him because from the get go he didn’t want to know. What is wrong with them, why are they so close minded to this food pyramid which is all wrong?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Ask him to find out what the calorie restrictions are on post weight loss op patients and tell him if they can do 800 calories long term, with no choice to up that figure, then you can too.

Please log in or register to post a reply.