Type 1

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello, not sure where to post this so hope this is OK. My friend has just been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, she’s 23. Can anyone advise whether the BSD would be any good for helping her condition?

• posted by Modom3232
    on

Both of my sons are Type 1. When newly diagnosed, Type 1’s are in the ‘honeymoon’ period, where the pancreas is still producing a small amount of insulin & it’s sort of hit or miss when it happens (very hard to gauge how much insulin to take during that time). I would say that ESPECIALLY during this time, the BSD / low carb would be helpful. My sons pretty much eat what they want (except NO sugar drinks which REALLY spike their blood sugars), then just count the carbs & cover it with the appropriate amount of insulin. They’re both on pumps. 1 son gets a lot of exercise/works out, which really helps keep his b.s. down (also a college kid). The other son, if he wants a snack at bedtime, but doesn’t want to mess up his b.s., will eat a no-carb snack such as meat & cheese. My sons are 21 & 14, so they need carbs for growing/developing; at 23, she may be able to do less. There are some groups on FB that are wonderful for support & info. There are some groups by type of insulin pump used, some just for Type 1’s &/.or their fam members. She can reach out to me also, any time. We’ve been dealing with this for a LONG time & many diff. situations, & 2 diff. insulin pumps. Also, 1 son uses a CGM (continuous glucose monitor). ~Michelle modom3232@gmail.com

Please log in or register to post a reply.