Type 1 Diabetic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Smudgie21
    on

Hi there. I’m just wondering why a T1D can’t do this diet!? Having been on insulin for 10 years, I am putting on loads of weight as the insulin makes you more hungry. I need to cut my insulin intake to lose weight so a low carb/gi diet is perfect. Why doesn’t this diet recommend it? I fully understand that I shouldn’t do this diet but just wondered why… Thanks all.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Smudgie21

If you type in Type 1 Diabetes into the search box (top right) you will find a little thread where someone’s asked the same question, and been answered that although the BSD can’t reverse Type 1 Diabetes, the book suggests it can be used as a weight loss programme.

Check it out – maybe this will be the answer for you.

• posted by Smudgie21
    on

That’s brilliant. Thank you. Will do that now 🙂

• posted by Frog
    on

Interesting program on radio 4 at the moment
    Personalised Medicine – Dose by Design
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07npz1m

It’s not specifically about diabetes, but has focused quite heavily on misdiagnosis of both type 1 and 2 – and therefore inappropriate treatment.

• posted by Smudgie21
    on

Thanks, Frog. Will take a listen.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I am type 1 also and had the same problem with insulin putting on weight. Also, I had diabetic oedema even though I had good hb1ac for a type 1 (or so my doctors said). It was treated with injections into the eye. I did some research which suggests I needed an hb1ac much more like a non-diabetic to sort the oedema. Actually, my consultant did suggest I give up wheat and potatoes – which I sort of did, but I still felt I was ‘stumbling around in the dark’ with my diet. I haven’t needed an injection since cutting down on starchy carbs – but there was still oedema there. And I still had the threat of injections hanging over me. When I read the book I thought it was brilliant and would work for type 1 also. I did read on the website that type 1s shouldn’t do it – so I was quite cautious and did something between the med diet and the fast 800. I started on 1st May and cut out all starchy carbs – and drastically cut the ‘good’ carbs. Within 8 weeks there was no oedema – none at all! Since then the sight in that eye has improved – fingers crossed for my next eye exam in Sept. Also I have lost over a stone – with 5lb to go. By keeping carbs and insulin low it is much easier to avoid hypos and spikes and I no longer feel tired. I read all the latest topics every day and the posts have kept me off the carbs. It is such a friendly and informative site.

• posted by Smudgie21
    on

Thank you so much, KrysiaD. So good to hear. That’s exactly what I wanted to hear too, I’m hoping to loose twice the amount you have. Fingers crossed. Nearly finished the book and will start next week, excited. Anything to cut my insulin intake…. X

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I was finding that my insulin wasn’t working so well . Now I am on 6 units Lantus and somewhere between 1.0 and 2 units of Novorapid for approx 15 to 20 grams of carbs for each meal – depending on how active I am. Have had to add between 5 – 10 grams of carbs when blood glucose is dropping if I am very active – especially in the evening. Good luck with your start next week. I am sure you will do really well – avoiding the carbs seems to make it feel effortless (although the first few days you may feel hungy, but that does wear off). X

• posted by Smudgie21
    on

Brilliant. Thank you. So good to hear about how it’s gone for you. Feeling positive 🙂 xx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Smudgie are you starting tomorrow or Monday?

• posted by Smudgie21
    on

Hey. Sadly not yet. I’m going through a cancer scare at the moment so will get that sorted before anything else. What a week!!! Hope you’re going well. X

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

So sorry to hear about your cancer scare. Of course it’s not the right time to start. Good luck with sorting it and hope to hear from you soon.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Good Luck Smudgie, Hope everything turns out to be well x

• posted by Smudgie21
    on

Thank you both so much. Really kind. I have more or less been told everything isn’t as bad as they thought but just need the consultant to finalise that! Back to finishing reading the book and then I can’t wait to start! Will let you know how I get on… Nothing better than a scare inside to make you really how important it is, eh! Have great weekends xx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Great news that everything isn’t as bad as they thought. Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Please log in or register to post a reply.