Type 1 diabetes

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Cliffross
    on

I have been a type 1 diabetic for over 40 years but have experienced in the last 10 years a lot of fat around my tummy region, which is obviously not good and may mean I have visceral fat as well. I notice that this diet regime is not recommended for type 1 diabetics. Howeve II understand that insulin can encourage fat to form but as a type 1 diabetic I need to take insulin injections to break down carbohydrate/sugar. If by going on the blood sugar diet I was able to reduce my need for insulin and also, therefore, lose fat would this not be a healthier regime for me and type 1 diabetics generally who are experiencing excess tummy or visceral fat? Obviously this would need to be done in a very controlled fashion to avoid diabetic hypos etc, while insulin doses are adjusted in line with the new diet regime. I would have thought that in the long run this would be good for type 1 diabetics in a similar way to type 2 diabetics recognising that there will always most likely be a need to take some insulin.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Cliff, I don’t think it is any different for Type 1 or 2 except Type 2 have the hope of reversing their diabetes and I don’t think this is possible with Type 1 (let me know if you know different). All I can say is that if it helps you reduce the amount of insulin you use, that can only be a good thing. My main thought with this is that, as a T2, every time I get something else wrong with me the first line of defense for doctors is more medication, until you need medication for the things the medication causes. With age things might get worse and the doctor will have nowhere to go except more drugs, now I have a chance to come off most of my meds and save them for when I need them another day (or year). I don’t mean stick them in a drawer and save them, I mean the doctor will have something to fall back on if I become ill in years to come.

I know this works for T2 because it is working for me, you do whatever you feel is good for you. Not just for the diabetes but for the visceral fat and other fat.

• posted by Izzy
    on

you would really need to talk to a doctor to ensure your safety if you choose to follow this plan. I hope it can help you though and seems worth a try.

• posted by Cliffross
    on

Many thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I have just gone back to the book and MM says the diet is not suitable for T1, in the sense that it will not have an impact on blood glucose, he does say, however, that it is suitable as a weight loss plan.

• posted by Cliffross
    on

If it is suitable as a weight loss plan for type 1 diabetics it must improve health generally. Thanks for your help.

Please log in or register to post a reply.