Two weeks in…need help

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by barnett
    on

I started the 800 two weeks ago and have been very well behaved, despite life’s offers of “Just one wont hurt” etc… For the first week I lost an incredible 8lbs which was very encouraging and to help me keep going I kept an emotional log book of my every move, which has been the best decision so far. Week two was very different though, despite sticking rigidly to the plan my weight has stayed put for the whole week…not an oz lower…very discouraging. I am perservering and just wondered if there was any advise to keep me going as am close to giving in to bread..! I fear that if I made a bad decision that will be it..all out food carnage!

• posted by Trev
    on

Barnett – from reading other posts it appears that a weight loss plateau is not uncommon (but completely frustrating nonetheless). I am in Week 1 and losing steadily each day, but I am sure that will slow as it has for others.

From what others have said when the plateau occurs there is often still terrific improvement in peoples measurements (waist etc) and blood sugar levels. So don’t lose heart – stay the course – as weight is only one of the benefits that this approach is delivering for you.

Almost all those who have gone 8 weeks (or sometimes much longer) have experience a plateau. I find browsing the posts of those who started earlier a great way to motivate me to stick with the program – particularly with the Carb monster rises up.

Good luck!!

• posted by barnett
    on

Trev_ thank you so much that is exactly what I needed to hear. I am really enjoying this approach to eating and although each day brings its own challenges, I feel my will is strong! I was starting to waver a bit until I read your post. So thank you again and good luck with your own journey. Have measured too. Didn’t think to do that at the beginning so another little gem.
    cheers!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Well done Barnett – great advice Trev also, I totally agree.

As a veteran (24lbs down or more than 15%of starting weight lost) I can confirm that weight loss isn’t steady and you need to keep your nerve.

Check the measurements – my OH didn’t want/need to lose much weight and has dropped about half a stone – but has gone down a couple of trouser sizes and shirt sizes too, and belt notches very much adjusted too. (Blood sugar now normal and off Metformin also 🙂 )

It seems that the visceral fat goes first, so you may notice waist size dropping whilst weight stays the same.

If you are tempted by the bread, just say that you will do the BSD one day at a time and hang on in there!

Keep checking in here – lots of experience and support.

• posted by barnett
    on

Thank you Igorasusual this is very helpful and encouraging. I didn’t realise how much I needed to hear all this positivity. This is the first diet plan (and I have attempted many…)that I have truly felt is not just doing me good in lots of ways , but that I can see myself continuing with long after. I already feel clearer headed, and more upbeat with so much more energy than I would have expected from so few calories.

My job is quite physical. I’m on my feet for 8 hours and am required to lift 25kg sacks around on occasion. As a woman this can be quite challenging at times, but what can I say i’m a bit of a cart horse. This is why I think that carbs have played such a massive part of my life and so much empty nutrition has passed my lips that I feel quite ashamed to admit it. This plan is giving me a new lease of life which is why i’m desperate not to fall off and get lost.

I appreciate your kind words and success with your own journey, and they shall spur me on…!!!
    Cheers!

• posted by barnett
    on

Ok so day 19 and have not lost any more weight. That’s 11 days plateau. I’m aware that there are other benefits to this for me but it’s like my body has just decided to say no. I’m measuring and weighing out correctly, and drinking plenty most days. I don’t understand why so long. Friends are saying your not eating enough you need a one day a week blow out ( no I haven’t or won’t) but I don’t know what else to do. Am trying to hold my nerve but it’s getting harder each day there is seemingly no progress. I want some good news.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi. Do you not have much weight to lose? Are you drinking enough water? Enough fat? Just a few thoughts.

Measurements often change even when the scales don’t move.

Keep on keeping on !

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

DO stick with it. Many people have plateaux and it’s hard to understand if you’re in the middle of one.

I tried a few things

Increase the water even more!
    Up the exercise just a bit
    Do just one day at a time
    Weigh less often and try more clothes as measurements rather than tape measures.

Fingers crossed for you. 🙂

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Another thing

Look at this site

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

And see if your nutrient balance is right if you set carbs as 50g or under. You MAY be eating too much protein and too little fat.

• posted by Timmy
    on

Clothes rather than tape is very good shout. I’m waist barely appears to have changed according to the tape measure, but trousers that I used to shovel myself into are hanging off me now. And yesterday when I caught a side on glimpse of me in the mirror my previous protruding gut wasn’t very protruding at all!

• posted by Trev
    on

Hang in there Barnett. Some really good advice from others here. Adding my thoughts
    1. Too much protein can raise blood sugar in some people
    2. You might also be intolerant to certain foods (eg Dairy) which I have heard can stall weight loss
    3. You could try introducing a 16/8 intermittent fast to the routine (eg eating only between 1pm & 7pm and fasting outside these times)
    4. Doing some resistance training could also help

Of course stress is the other factor to consider as cortisol will certain disrupt your weight loss.

Hope one or two of these might help kick start your loss.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Barnett – plateaus are so frustrating – I sympathise
    Something else to consider maybe constipation – with BSD you probably have a lot less junk to eliminate, so probably need to poo less than you did – but it may take your body longer to adjust to not having less food waste to process, another cause could be low salt – easy to achieve without realising if you’ve cut out lots of processed food..
    And essentially if you aren’t eliminating waste, it’s inside you, and adding to your weight.
    There are a number of threads on constipation – use the search box in the top right hand corner to locate them.

• posted by barnett
    on

Thank you all. This is all really great advise and I’m powering through regardless. I have at least 4 stone to lose possibly more if I’m honest but I will take all these marvellous suggestions and tweak my routine accordingly. I had no idea things like dairy would be an issue having seemingly eaten lots all my life. But I do feel it now if I’m honest as have been getting cattarh more than ever. My sister commented today that my face looks different so hey maybe I’m starting at the top and working down. I think I have talked her into doing this plan too as we are similar in size and shape and she can see something in what I’m doing even if I can’t yet. Thankyou all once again I really appreciate it xxxx

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Barnett! I wanted to add my voice to the others here and encourage you to just hold off judging the diet for now, just follow the guidelines and don’t think about it too much — we all have a tendency to judge things very quickly and I think many folk think it isn’t working so they quit just about the time it starts working! I have been off and on the diet since March, lost what I wanted and rediscovered my old “me” (10 inches smaller at waist, down three clothing sizes). I lost very slowly in the beginning, then much more quickly around weeks 7-12. Not sure why, just high-insulin me doing my thing. I have hopped back on for a couple of weeks and now I am doing 5:2 maintenance — going well. My best advice is measure everything, don’t stress if you mess up (just start again the next day) and if you are just starving, eat something small and fatty or protein-filled (chicken, cheese, nuts). It was finally, for me, just staying the course. I had bad days and good days and lots in between — but the results five months later were worth it. You’re going to do this — hang in there. It worked for so many and it will work for you too. Julia

• posted by barnett
    on

Thank you Julia It’s so good to hear others input. I was complimented today on how strong my will has been considering my family although very happy for me are reminding me how much crap I actually would consume on a far too regular basis. For now I am feeling better than I did when I started and will continue. This is a really supportive place and I’m really grateful. positively moving forward a day at a time…!

Please log in or register to post a reply.