Tomorrow has finally arrived!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by gillmap
    on

Well, here goes – posting on forums is something I have never done before, but I am hoping that it will help with the task ahead.

Losing weight and being more active has been on the agenda for ages but push has finally come to good shove as a blood test result shows prediabetes. I also have a work function to attend in seven weeks and I can’t get into any of my clothes suitable for the occasion, not to mention about 90% of the rest of my wardrobe! And, I am going to stay with friends living near Chicago in May and there’s not a spare ounce on either of them! I have signed up for the Cotswold Plod in June, there’sthere’s nothing like a bit of pressure!

My downfall is staying in hotels (for work) too often and feeling too tired to eat properly when I get home from work, not to mention wine!

Weighing and measuring lined up for tomorrow morning then I will know the full size of the challenge! For now, I am off to buy some veg!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi gillmap.

I wear a uniform for work and back in December my skirt was cutting me in half and I’d moved the jacket buttons as far as I could but it didn’t look good. Started this on 19th December. My skirt started to swivel round my waist and I’ve dropped two sizes. The jacket looks better and I can even fasten the bottom button! Must start moving the buttons back to where they started soon.

I don’t drink alcohol so that’s a problem I don’t have. But I do sometimes go for training days etc where food is provided. Sometimes I take my own I case their is nothing suitable, but often there is chicken or cooked meat, and salad. I do have a hotel stay coming up but have a good idea what food will be provided so have prepared an action plan (or should that be risk assessment?)

I’ve just come back from holiday and made the best choices I could from what was available. Hotel buffet breakfasts often include some protein – except in the USA (at least where I have stayed).

At home I do try to keep my fridge and freezer stocked with foods I know I can eat on this plan: cooked meats, fish, cheese etc. No preparation needed. And eggs. I usually boil six at a time and keep them in the fridge (just being careful not to mix up the cooked and uncooked eggs! LOL). Having food like that available almost instantly has kep me from many disasters.

I don’t follow the meal plans in the book, but prepare my own, just keeping to the calorie count. And I write everything down.

Hope this helps, and look forward to seeing your progress. You’ll soon be in those clothes 😃

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi gillmap

I think even staying in hotels, it is possible to make menu selections which will fit the diet as far as the low carb aspect goes – portion size might be more difficult though and is a pit-fall to watch out for. It’s important to start to get a handle on what 100g of meat looks like for instance. I now keep my food scales permanently on my worktop and weigh everything when I am at home. Doing this is giving me a realistic idea of what a correct portion looks like and has given me more confidence when eating away from home.

Captainlynne is right about keeping a good stock of appropriate foods at home, so that you have things that don’t necessarily need much preparation, for those times you don’t feel like cooking. Make extra portions of things when you do cook and freeze in portions, ready to zap in the microwave – I did this with a lentil dish and a moussaka. It means you have something filling for those times when you don’t have the energy to be creating something from scratch.

Good luck with your journey. Be sure to make the most of the forums for support and to post your progress.

• posted by gillmap
    on

Thanks, SunnyB, all helpful tips greatly appreciated! I had a lapse tonight with my eating as I had dinner with a colleague that I don’t know very well. I did steer clear of the sweet stuff though and just had cheese without the biscuits to go with it instead of the chocolate brownie and ice cream! The problem with this chain of hotels is that there’s nothing on the menu that is not carb heavy. I had steak that was, I should think, quite a lot more than 100 g. Working out today’s calories puts me way over the 800, and I had started well. I was a bit light headed on the second day, but no real hunger pangs. Tomorrow will be better as I will be on my own in the evening so I will get something to take to eat on the train as I will be on the 1841 to Penzance and it will be after 9 before I arrive at the hotel. I feel awash with the amount of water I have drunk – every time I think of food, I drink some water instead!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi gillmap

I don’t think being over the calorie count because of additional protein – in this case steak and cheese – is too much of an issue. If it was because of carbs, it would be more worrying I think. Michael does say not to stress too much about being over occasionally, as over the eight week period it will balance out, as there will be days when you are under the 800 cals, so try not to beat yourself up about not being within the 800 this time. Just get back to the 800 from today and don’t worry about the blip.

Good policy to use water to help stave off food cravings, as it serves to keep you well hydrated and damp down the hunger – double whammy! Drinking enough has been a problem for me, as traditionally I don’t drink as much as I should. Think I am managing to consume enough fluid in water and herbal teas now though.

Will look forward to hearing your results for the end of week one – good luck.

Please log in or register to post a reply.