Time for a healthy change

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by gypsybasker
    on

It looks like I’m having similar beginnings to many of you – I too devoured the book in one sitting and Michael’s guidelines really resonated. I could not believe it when I lost 4 pounds in 2 days, even though I had decided to start walking up this steep trail for about an hour (counting rests) those two days. 🙂 I went for a longer hike the next day, still sticking to no carbs except the beans in my chili, and was flabbergasted to see an 8 pound drop in 3 days! REALLY? I have had an occasional headache, which reminds me to drink more water. And I have been indulging in one or two squares of dark chocolate (25 calories) every night. Is that within the limits? I usually stay well within my 800 calorie range and that’s all my sugar for the day, so…hopefully that’s not a deal breaker, because I have been diagnosed with diabetes recently. After 6 months of Metformin, my A1C only dropped from a 9.6 to a 9.3. My doctor upped my dosage to 4 tablets instead of 2 and threatened me with insulin if my A1C didn’t drop by the next blood test in May. I decided right then I needed to radically change my diet because deep down inside I knew that’s the key to getting rid of my diabetes (and life long high blood pressure – even when I was a healthy weight). Now, with these amazing results (and that’s without the metformin) I feel compelled to do my hikes everyday, even though I’m feeling lazy at the moment; I think they have really been instrumental in the extra weight loss. I have a lot to lose, but this is really opening my eyes to what I can accomplish if I truly put my mind, body and heart into it.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi

Welcome to the BSD family.

If you read Bill1945’s post you’ll see the great results he’s achieved, including reducing his medication – hoping to be medication free in the near future.

Are you checking your blood sugars? That’s a big help and a guide as to when meds can be reduced.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi gypsybasker
    You’ve made a tremendous start and I don’t think your little bit of chocolate should make you feel guilty at all. If it helps you get through, just a little bit is fine. You may even find as you go on that you don’t need it so much. Full fat yoghurt ad berries makes a great replacement, is more filling and contains stuff our body needs. But its only an idea. Well done you!

Please log in or register to post a reply.