This has to work for me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Essentially Jane
    on

I think the chickpea flour goodies are a winner.
    Thanks Bill and it’s really great reading everybody’s stories.
    I’m due for my measure in tomorrow. Now the flu symptoms have gone I am feeling good. Still drinking loads of water and am in this for the long term.
    Life style choice now.
    Jane

• posted by Mrsjaffa13
    on

Hi ally, just wanted to say stick with it! I had awful headaches and achy all over for first week but now well in to week two and am feeling brilliant, more energy and sleeping like a log. I was definitely addicted to sugar , so stick with it , I did take paracetamol to get me through when I was feeling really bad and had one day feeling really tearful! A bit of time and strength and you will get there. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi kinsman
    There is a thread already for people who ve had a binge!
    Penny

• posted by Kinahan10
    on

Apologies Penny. As i said im not too sure where to write! Thank you for your message of support Bill.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Kinahan. Don’t apologise! You can write what you like where you like. I was just giving you the information in case it would help you. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Penny

• posted by Kinahan10
    on

Thank you. Any help and guidance is very much appreciated. I need all the help I can get!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Bill- you have me a shock for a minute there!
    Penny

• posted by Yael
    on

Just how much water can a person glug? It’s not so bad considering that it’s 31 C today, but how do people cope in winter? I might have to switch to hot water. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Penny I shocked myself.
    I know it says you have 5 minutes to edit your post but can I hell find how to actually do it.
    This is me who runs multiple websites at work too.

• posted by Aly
    on

Thanks Mrsjaffa
    Still feeling awful. Ache all over and no energy at all. Having to push myself to keep going. Eating well below 800 as have no appetite. The last two mornings I have been unable to eat all my porridge! I am going with the flow as it is all part of the adjustment. I had started weaning myself off coffee too and now do not like the taste. I am having fruit teas instead. I cannot face all my old favorites.
    I am shopping today and plan to stock up on nuts. My lunch the last few days has been an apple and a small piece of cheese. I really cannot cope with any more.
    I had thoughts of giving up due to feeling so rough but do not want my former high carb foods. I do not understand it!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Bill,
    At the top right hand corner of your post, once you’ve submitted it is a line of text that says ‘edit’, ‘reply’ and ‘report post’. I only found it out of desperation when I was trying to avoid a repeat of the Aliba/ slobs incident lol. For which she very graciously forgave me.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Aly,
    Please don’t give up, you are sure to be through this rough patch soon. I’m concerned you are not eating enough! Try to get more calories from fat and protein and see if that helps. I think you said in a previous post that you are drinking plenty, so that’s not the issue. You will need 2-3 litres of fluid a day. Hopefully it is just your body readjusting and going into the fat burning phase.
    Tell yourself you can stick with it for the two weeks, then do the review. At that stage you will know if you need to change or modify the diet.
    Please keep posting and let us know how you’re doing. There are so many sympathetic and helpful people on the forum who can give you support.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Kinahan
    The thread to look for is called dieting catastrophes I think. You might find it comforting and funny. Bill is right, please don’t berate yourself. Guilt will only make it worse. Scientists are starting to understand now that its not our lack of will power that’s the problem, its the powerful hold sugar has on our bodies. We all fall off the wagon, you can always get right back on it with the next meal.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Cherrianne thanks for that
    Aly everyone has ups and downs. I had a couple of dayswhen I didn’t even want to get out of bed and this morning, for some unknown reason my fasting sugar reading was 8
    All in all though the downward trend is still there so I just get over the little hiccups and carry on knowing that things will straighten themselves out.
    Make sure you’re not just getting the 800 calories a day but getting a fair amount of them from fatty foods, that should help.

• posted by Aly
    on

I never want to go through this again so am sticking with it! I found some almonds, pistachio and unsalted peanuts in the supermarket. I had a handful of almonds with a mug of fruit tea and enjoyed it! I also bought avocados which I love. As has been advised I am trying to up the fat content. Planning to sit in front of the wood burner and do some crochet for the rest of today. At some point I hope to feel better.
    On a positive note bra is now on tightest hooks and size 14 jeans slide down. I no longer need to undo them to get them on or off! I can get the size 12 jeans on but have a bit more to lose to comfortably do them up! All good stuff!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Well done Aly, it is all worth it, you’ll soon see even better results. Just wait till your size 12 jeans are sliding off too! Hope you’ve got a pair of size 10’s lurking in the back of the wardrobe.
    Three cheers for your perseverance.

• posted by Aly
    on

I might have but had a big clear out last year during my giving up stage. I was a size 10 when working 6 years ago. One of my reasons for not bothering was I cannot afford to replace my wardrobe! All the cotton dresses I made last year can be taken in easily and I still have dress and skirt lengths waiting to be made up. It will be a reward to cut the patterns down!
    I feel a little better just now so hopefully by the end of the week I will really feel the benefits. It scares me realising what a sugar addict I was. There is still plenty of chocolate in the house for hubby but by some miracle I do not want it. It is beyond my understanding! This reaction has been the best thing for me as it has frightened me so much. I have been poisoning myself.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Aly that is the strangest thing of all for me.
    I love chocolate, I can do a family sized bar in a sitting!!! and yet, since I started this new lifestyle, I don’t even think about the stuff, even when my other half is munching on it. And don’t even get me started on ice cream ๐Ÿ™
    There has to be something in the diet that is stopping the sweetie need – it’s uncanny

• posted by Aly
    on

It is reassuring to know I am not the only one! This morning as I have been unable to eat much I thought of having my favourite toast and marmalade but couldn’t face it! Couldn’t even finish my bowl of porridge. I feel angry at the way we have been duped into low fat over the years.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Aly the difficult first days will soon be over and you will be so, so happy that you began this journey. Best of luck and I love the sound of an afternoon crocheting by the fire. Bliss!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Aly I too have chocolate in the house AND I haven’t even been tempted to eat it!! Unheard of! I used to buy easter eggs as presents then rebuy them as I wouldn’t be able to resist eating one, or two or more. Can’t believe it! There is still xmas chocolate hanging around!

• posted by acquamarine
    on

Hi…I have just joined here….I have bought the book and am in the process of reading through it.I don’t have diabetes yet but I am heading that way if I don’t do something about it….I usually have a borderline fasting blood sugar.I had back surgery almost a year ago and was told that I have to lose weight to help my recovery and to help prevent more problems with it….which I can’t seem to manage to do…so this has to help me!!!

I live in Istanbul so am hoping that the Mediterranean based diet will be easyish for me. Can I ask those of you that are losing weight…do you religiously count the calories(never done that before) and do you follow the menus in the book or using it as a guideline.Thanks

My biggest problem is that I have never seriously dieted before and am having a problem accepting that I have to
    Well good luck to you all…you are an inspiration to me. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

ROFLMAO
    Judith, I wish I had a quid for every Easter egg and selection box we have had to re buy over the years, I’d be very well off.
    Plus side of this, my partner who is also diabetic and on metformin, gliclazide, and insulin, also loves chocolate.
    She won’t do the diet at the moment as she says she doesn’t like veggies so it wouldn’t work for her.
    She has had 1 bar of chocolate since I started and now she is doing stir fries for 2 ๐Ÿ˜‰ and eating my greek yoghurt with berries
    She has been very supportive since the “you’ll never stick to it” comments just before I started.
    She is now telling me how proud she is of me ๐Ÿ˜€ and my main goal now is to get her into this lifestyle ASAP
    She’s under the false impression that, because of all the meds keeping her sugar readings down below 5, she will be ok.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi acquamarine
    lucky you!! Turkey is my favourite holiday destination and the food available out there is a massive kickstart for you.
    I don’t count calories, I have stuck to some of the recipes as they are delicious but mainly I use them as a guide to what I can eat. So far I’ve lost 17 and a half pounds in 4 weeks.
    Don’t worry about never dieting before, within a fortnight it won’t feel like a diet apart from you losing weight

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Aquamarine

Think of it less as a diet and more as a new way of life. I do count calories, although I aim for 800-900 rather than sticking rigidly to 800 and am happily losing around half a pound a day on that. But don’t read too much into other peoples’ weight loss as its a very personal thing. If you do decide to count calories, I would recommend that with any recipes you choose to use, you check the calorie count with an on-line calculator or with the packaging of any products you use. The recipes in the book are great but the calorie counts aren’t always accurate (often they seem to overestimate how many calories!).

Wishing you every success!

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Hi acquamarine … welcome to this supportive, life changing, forum. I can’t give you any advice or help yet, cos only started yesterday, but the guys on here are motivating me … and trust me, I need motivating!! I have always needed to diet, and have always detested counting calories. However, I am at the moment cos I don’t trust myself … but I use My Fitness Pal, which you can get on the PC/Ipad or smart phone. It is helping me to see what I am eating … and what I can eat … and thankfully, not what I can’t!! For someone that could never fill in a Food Diary for a slimming club (without lying!!), it’s actually helping me!!
    Good luck … you can do this … just listen to all these motivational people on this forum … they / we will get you through it if they / we can!!
    Kim x
    PS I love Turkey, too … and I’m not just talking about the meat or Turkish delight … however …

• posted by AstronomerDaz
    on

Hi all
    New here, but not to diabetes ๐Ÿ™
    I’m 46, just tipping 16st and I haven’t tested in some time – mainly because I know I’m not going to like the result!!
    I have my eye exam at the end of March and feeling quite nervous about them – I have a suspicion they will recommend injections or other treatments….
    I came across the book while researching giving up sugar and I thought I could do that for 8 weeks! In fact, I think I absolutely have to! I’m fed up of being overweight, tired, irritable (my wife’s observation!), unable to concentrate and no enthusiasm for pretty much anything!

We’re away for a few days with a group of friends so I am planning to start the diet proper on 14th March. I already “try” and not eat too many carbs, but I will be planning the first weeks meals ahead of time, so I know what I’ll be eating beforehand. I already pay to not use the gym, so that will also change too…

I’ll probably set up a blog to record progress / thoughts as I go – I’ll share here when I do!

Thanks
    Daz

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Daz
    I feel for you mate, I’ve been through all the eye stuff that I can handle. If it helps, if you are showing signs of retinopathy, the first thing will be laser treatment to try to seal the broken vessels. If that fails there are a couple of options including drug injections or, finally, a retinopathy op.
    I’ve been through it all including 4 operations.
    But that is a worst case scenario and if you haven’t noticed any black streaks in your eyes yet, best not to worry.
    Do go have the tests and don’t skip the appointment, the alternative is really not worth it. I had a period where I was convinced I was going blind and thats a stress I wouldn’t like to see anyone else have…..

BUT that isn’t going to happen to you because you have found the BSD and your future is now in your own hands.
    Have a browse through all the success stories on the forums, it won’t be long before you are one of them ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh BTW I have a 12″ skywatcher flextube with an Argo navis attached that I haven’t been able to use for 3 years because of the eye problems. I’m hoping to get it out again this Autumn

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi aquamarine, welcome to the forums. For the first month I just followed the recipes or ate things like poached eggs and portabella mushrooms that I already knew the calories for. I lost a lot of weight just following the recipes. You get a feel for what foods you need to eat quite quickly.
    I’m drooling at the thought of all those sun warmed beef tomatoes and other luscious food in warmer climes. Good luck and don’t worry if you find things tough for a few days – it soon becomes an easy way of life. The lack of hunger pangs and carb cravings still amaze me!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Bill, I’m obviously a bit of a dinosaur – what does ‘ROFLMAO’ stand for? Stupidly I began a reply to ROFLMAO thinking it was a new member posting – until I looked a bit closer!!!
    I too would be rich if I had a quid for every time I had eaten choccie bought as gifts – I even did it as a child whenever I bought mother’s day chocolate.
    I really hope your wife joins us all on this path, it would be wonderful if she could reverse her diabetes and we would all welcome her on here.
    Oh and how do you post smilies on here????

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Ha ha! thats so funny! ROFLMAO is text speak for Rolling On Floor Laughing My A** Off! Sorry Hashimoto, I am not being unkind but roflmao is Bill1954! That really made be laugh though, sorry, sorry xxx

On a more sombre note, however, Bill, it sounds like you are managing to infiltrate your wife’s diet anyway without her realising.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

He He
    Judith have you been hitting the carbs ??
    Hun there isn’t a user called ROFLMAO, that’s the first line of my post and it is my Mrs I’m talking about.
    Keep taking the tablets hun, we understand ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Janet1973
    on

If you do a colon : and a bracket ) it should turn it into a smiley when you press submit and a semi colon ; will give you a smiley with a wink ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Janet 1973 , I’m still laughing myself so don’t worry. Glad to put a smile on your face! I actually typed a long message to ROFLMAO and submitted it. Then realised my error. So glad I had read the post about how to edit within 5 minutes or I wouldn’t have dared show my face on here again!! I’m so glad you explained the acronym to me as well or I would have been mystified for life.
    Thanks for the explanation on how to send a smiley. I am learning so much on this site! ๐Ÿ™‚

Bill, give my regards to your Mrs!!! I think I should stop trying to give my son ideas on how to start his allotment while posting on here! It’s amazing I didn’t post to ‘carrot’ or ‘rhubarb’ or straw bale gardening!!!
    ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Well done on the new skills, soon you’ll be emojing with the best of ’em. These forums always cheer me up, whether it be good tips, motivation or other people having similar stories to mine, I love being a part of such a great group!

• posted by Aly
    on

Did someone mention allotment?
    I have a fledgling small holding….you spoke my language!
    By the way, feeling lots better and am doing myself a sort of ratatouille with some red kidney beans added.
    Have noted the recipe for coconut flour bread which I plan to make tomorrow. That will sort out my lunch dilemma. I finally feel like I am winning. ๐Ÿ‘

• posted by nidge64
    on

Great to see all the support for Aly and the wonderful advice you guys are providing.
    Aly the first few days are the hardest and then things will get easier. As mentioned by other people you need to eat more fat and drink lots of water.
    I am now in the middle of my 4th week and have lost 27lbs so far and like other guys on BSD I just guess what I think is 800 calories and eat plenty of fat.
    I am finding each week easier than the last but do crave a curry with a few cold beers.
    Hope you stick at it and reap the rewards.
    Nidge

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Aly, that’s fantastic!. So glad you are feeling better.
    My son has just been told he is getting an allotment (he only applied 6 months ago!) I have always grown fruit and veg wherever I live, so he has grown up with it. Strangely I used to teach in the primary school not far from his allotment and a young child in my class ( about 26 years ago) always kept me entertained with tales of his grandfather’s allotment. I reminded my son of this before he set off and to his utter amazement he is being given that very grandfather’s allotment!!! He feels an attachment to it before he even starts working on it. Isn’t it a really small world?
    I had dreamed of an allotment myself but my back is no longer up to it and I do have a number of fruit bushes/trees etc in the garden. I love being outside working in the garden. Making rose icecream from the most scented roses etc. Oh oh SUGAR! I’ll have to find out if icecream works without sugar.
    How big is your fledgling small holding? Are you going to keep some live stock? I love making ratatouille from home grown veg. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks Janet. Now I need to find out how to make the thumbs up sign! Oh and I have learned they are called emojies not smilies. A lot of learning in one day ! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Aly
    on

14 hens, 3 cockerels, 10 ducks, 4 drakes and a pair of geese!
    A small orchard of apples pears and plums, an established veg garden and a Polytunnel on order!
    I have a beehive and our first nucleus is on order.
    It is all a steep learning curve as I was a complete townie before moving here.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Ok, so I had to look this one up myself but apparently thumbs up is y between (). Here goes… (y)

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Well that didn’t work, just goes to show you can’t trust webland!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

(Y) (N)

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Nope, still doesn’t work!

• posted by ChannelK
    on

Hi peeps, have been doing the diet for 2 weeks and have lost half a stone although nothing for the last 4-5 days. It’s been great reading everyone’s posts to help me along at various times although now starting to worry I’m doing something wrong, maybe my protein/fat/carb ratios are out. Question to those of you who’ve been on it longer, how many grams of fat and protein should work?! I’m keeping below 50g of carbs. And also if I’m eating mountains of green veg taking me over 50g, will that have an impact on speed of weight loss? I’d like to be one of those people that is consistently losing weight on 800cals rather than not! Advice welcome.

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Hi Nidge64

Wow 27lbs in 4 weeks I amazing well done!!!!!!!
    Like peeps and channelk I’ve lost some weight…. 10 lbs in 3 weeks.
    Could you share a typical week of what you eat, how much exercise and if possible average grams of fat protien and carbs. I have summarised my weeks in my profile
    Thank you,!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Well you have all been very busy while I’ve been asleep down here in Aussie land. Now I’m the one roflmao hearing all about you trying to get to grips with technology. I’m so not tech minded, but I do have kids who can help. Even my six year old can teach me things lol.
    Aly you have made my day !! So glad you’ve turned the corner and are feeling better. When your veg are ready to harvest remember that I’m the world’s expert on dealing with a glut of zucchinis ๐Ÿ˜‰ !! My sister is the only person who will still accept my ‘gifts’ of them. I have a freezer full of zucchini soup, and lasagne made with sliced zucchini instead of pasta. I’m going to miss them when the season ends. Not sure anyone else in my vicinity will though. My kids have become accustomed to a mug of zucchini soup when they get home from school, even though it has been summer here. My oldest boy drinks it cold on a hot day.
    Hashimoto, I love your allotment story!! That’s serendipity. Nothing like home grown veg, maybe he’ll have enough to keep you supplied too. With any luck some of the Grandad’s old veg varieties will still be self seeding there. I am passionate about keeping heritage, open pollinated varieties going and belong to a seed savers group. So much nicer than supermarket stuff. Though I do have to supplement what I grow because the millipedes, earwigs and parrots sometimes decimate my crops.

• posted by Aly
    on

Well, I would never have believed it…faced the scales this morning as it is my one week mark….and……6lbs off! Explains why my clothes were feeling more roomy.
    I think as a result of my being so unwell I have ended up with a chest infection. I will give it today and if no better go to the doc. It is always fun here as he speaks no English. I have most of the words I need but will need to look up a few.. One of the problems living in France!
    I managed a small dinner last night and my small bowl of porridge this morning and think it is helping to clear my head. My legs still ache but bearable. I still have no desire for any sugar stuff. Long may it last.
    I don’t want to speak too soon as my track record is not good but I think I can do this.

• posted by Yael
    on

Felicitations, chere Aly! I am about to eat dinner (Australia) on Day 6. Weighed myself: I appear to have lost 2 kgs (4.4) so far even though I weekend & had a glass of wine on two evenings. Noticed my jeans were not so tight. Amazing! Take care of yourself. Chest infections are no fun.

• posted by Yael
    on

Hello all, Michael was on a current affairs program in Australia last evening. Mixed response. Representative from Diabetics Australia a bit defensive. One woman has lost ‘only’ 2kg (4.4 pounds) after 3 weeks, but was so motivated because her blood sugar had dropped heaps. And she doesn’t want to progress to injections. Feedback on the program’s FB page was polarised. Praise from people who’ve tried the 800 calorie diet or a similar diet (the majority), but howls of criticism from people whom I suspect are dieticians and/or work for Diabetes Australia. They referred to Michael as ‘Mr Mosley’, a ‘TV presenter’, blah blah, and typically said, ‘I cannot understand why there were no dieticians in the audience to give expert opinion ‘. !!!

It will take a while for the low-fat professionals to update their knowledge (if they are open to reading & accepting latest research). I do worry about people being given bad advice by dieticians. Some said, but my dietician told me to eat regular snacks so that I won’t overeat at meals. You know what I thought? People are being trained to be big babies with regular feeds. No wonder obesity is on the rise! Snacking is the new smoking!

People made good points: we need to distinguish between low fat products (artificial and processed) and natural low fat foods (like most vegetables). and low-fat diets are bound to fail.

I made a few posts & people asked me for further information. I recommended this site, and, of course, this particular forum!

A

Please log in or register to post a reply.