The results of following BSD for 12 weeks after being diagnosed diabetic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Pukekogirl
    on

I was diagnosed as diabetic in mid February. I was told the news over the phone and instructed to see my practice nurse the next day. Overnight I downloaded Dr Mosley’s book BSD and read it all. I wanted all the facts prior to my appointment. I had a HbA1c of 63 and I told the nurse I wanted the chance to lower it without use of drugs. She was very supportive and gave me 12 weeks until the repeat bloods.

In that time, I stuck to the diet religiously for 8 weeks, followed by eating a few more calories one hungrier days, but still not eating bread, potatoes, rice, pasta etc.

I also increased my exercise levels markedly. I now swim a mile when ever I can (I am a weak swimmer, I just keep plugging away!) and aim for 10,000 steps daily. Two things I didn’t manage were the resistance training, (which I hope to do after half term) and the mindfulness.

Today my levels were not diabetic, not pre diabetic, but NORMAL. They came in at 36. I have also lost 2st10lb. I am so pleased. I will continue to avoid the carbs, whilst sticking to a Mediterranean diet and exercising. I intend on losing another 2st minimum.

Thanks to Michael Mosley for helping me get healthier. ๐Ÿ˜Š I am proof anyone can do it! Good luck to everyone else.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Wow! That’s fantastic. Well done.

• posted by Stephie63
    on

Brilliant, well done. If anyone needed proof that this works, there it is! Makes me all the more determined to stick to this way of eating for the rest of my life ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Fantastic results.
    Strikes many chords with me. Diagnosed T2. Started Feb 1st so in my 16th week. Lost 2 and a half stone.
    Upped the exercise regime. Want to lose another half stone to be in my healthy weight range.
    Higher HbA1c than you but next test in another month.
    So want to be in that normal range but even if I don’t manage that…. will be much healthier and fitter.
    Excellent example to others. Be happy ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by thepolly
    on

Brilliant results and always great for newcomers to a lower carb diet to read ๐Ÿ™‚

Bet the practice nurse was really impressed too

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Such fantastic news! Very very very well done. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by jimnz
    on

Pukekogirl,
    Well done. Your experience is similar to mine as I reported on another thread. My last HBA1C was 40 – not as impressive as your 36.
    Your username sounds as if you are a Kiwi?
    Keep up the fantastic progress
    Jim (another Kiwi)

• posted by Pukekogirl
    on

Thanks for all your kind words of support. I just wanted to encourage those who are starting out or maybe having a plateau. Btw, yes jimnz it is a kiwi name. Kiwi by descent, dual nationality. Best of both worlds. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by glevesque
    on

Encouraging! Keep up the good work. I started the diet only four days ago after a real chocolate pig-out the night before. I have already lost 1.5 kg. I have also started climbing the stairs at work instead of taking the elevator. It’s not a big deal – only 4 stories, but it is at least something. Also trying to stand up every 1/2 hour in the evenings. BTW, I’m a new Kiwi!

• posted by Sandie
    on

Very well done Pukeogirl. Brilliant to be NORMAL.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Good to read that the diet worked for you Pukekogirl. Have you tried testing before and after a carby meal to see if your BGs act normally or still spike and don’t come back to normal quickly?

Reason I am asking is that I AM a type 2, but through low carbing my HbAic has been in the normal range since diagnosis – 7 years, but I know I am still diabetic as a carby meal still sends my Bgs much higher than they would send the BG of a non-diabetic person. Hence my embarking on the BSD, to try to get my insulin working again properly.

Please log in or register to post a reply.