The planned day off diet

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lostgirl
    on

Happy Easter to all!!

Thank you for your lovely support messages on other parts of the forum.

Well Easter and family time. We are due to out for breakfast out then a meal out tonight at an Indian!!! Then Sunday it’s a roast day with one of my favourite puddings !!

Working out do I give myself a pass for these too days and not feel guilty as I know I will slip

I weigh myself every day and 2 pounds on overnight!! I’m gutted!! Really wanted the stone before Easter but now it seems impossible

Least no chocolate eggs this year!

Anyone got any recommendations for Indian food ??

Can’t take spice very well

As for breakfast I know my weakness is toast. I don’t have a lot but I know if it’s on the plate I can’t say nooooo

Any advice anyone??

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Good morning Lostgirl, don’t worry about that ‘weight’ it will be retained water, you might find you have a bigger weight loss tomorrow as it disappears.
    Indian food – what about a chicken korma, it’s milder than most and it has dairy fat in it. Just avoid the rice and the breads, eat it slowly and savour it. There may be a spinach side you can have to compensate for no rice and bread.

At home throw the bread in the bin is the best advice I can give …if it is there in these early days it will tempt you. If you are having breakfast out go for the cooked English breakfast but move any toast away from you. Ask the others to keep it away from you. Stress on them how important this diet is to you, it’s about your life and health. I’m sure they will support you. At home try an omelette instead, you can even have some salad on the plate with the omelette or what about a bowl of thick creamy full fat yoghurt with some seeds and berries on it.

You can eat out and enjoy some food while staying with the principles of the diet – just keep of those starchy carbs!!!!

Have a lovely weekend Lostgirl x

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Lostgirl.

Wise words there from Hashimoto.

For my breakfast I sometimes eat while out shopping – a 4 item breakfast so 2 rashers of bacon, a thin slice of black pudding and either a spoonful of baked beans or an egg. While I’m eating I often see folk sitting with their 12 item breakfasts and hear them ordering. One man had 6 sausages among other things (and they are not good sausages!). But it looks like that store may not be open much longer ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

At home I might cook bacon and egg. Otherwise it’s what’s in the fridge – cooked meat, cheese, boiled eggs, hummus, etc. Often with a baby beetroot.

Then I don’t need anything until my evening meal.

If you do like sausages, I like Debbie & Andrew’s Harrogate 97% pork sausages. Each sausage has 128 calories, 8.7g fat, 12g protein and <0.5g carbohydrate.

I couldn’t find them the other day so bought Asda gluten-free. Not tried them yet. In a different Asda I bought the Harrogate sausages so they are now in the freezer

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Lynne, great minds! I only buy the Debbie and Andrew sausages too! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Judith. I’ll have keep a stock of them in ๐Ÿ˜ณ One Asda sells them, but not the other. Or Tesco.

Going to cook the Asda ones soon. Just compared nutrition info.

Debbie & Andrew v Asda Extra special gluten free. Per sausage

Calories 128 v 148
    Fat 8.7 v 12.5
    Carbs <0.5 v 1.5
    Fibre 0.5 v 0
    Protein 12 v 8.7

Waiting to see what the Asda ones taste like!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

After the taste test, the Asda Extra Special gluten free sausages would be OK if I can’t get the Debbie & Andrew sausages. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Good to have a choice lynne x

• posted by Patsy
    on

Tandoori chicken isn’t usually very spicy – and there’s no carbs. If you had that with salad and missed out the bread and rice you’d be fine.

I think if you know you’re going to break the diet for a special occasion then it might be a good idea to give yourself permission to do that, rather than feeling guilty. It’s my birthday soon and I’m going to do that. I know that if I try not to have a glass of wine or eat anything extra I’ll feel like I’m depriving myself and am more likely to give up.

• posted by jpscloud
    on

It definitely worked for me to give myself permission to have a day off. I’m back on it today and feeling fine about it. I am not good at strict adherence to diets but the fact that this one gave such quick weight loss results helped. Part of me is disappointed that I didn’t make it through the first week but part of me also knows that’s how I work and I will just do my best to stick to it now.

• posted by tree-peony
    on

I would avoid korma tbh. There is quite often sugar added to the sauce ๐Ÿ™

Tikka is good ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Tree peony I have always made my own indian foods i had no idea restaurants added sugar. Sorry for giving wrong advice. Why do they put sugar in? I’m actually gagging here at the thought ๐Ÿ™

• posted by tree-peony
    on

Presumably because it makes it sell better! I didn’t know either until I started asking which sauces were sugar free and got the horrific answer…. none of them!

It’s endemic, I’m afraid…. ๐Ÿ™

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Well, That is truly horrific!!! Tree peony, if you haven’t already, please would you sign the petition we have started?
    I will try and post the link

Petition
    NHS to encourage the treatment of type 2 diabetes with a low carbohydrate diet.

Professor Taylor has shown that Type 2 diabetes can be reversed using a low carbohydrate, low calorie diet. The NHS has announced it is rolling out a programme to give pre-diabetics lifestyle help. There is no mention of the blood sugar diet which pre-diabetics and diabetics should be following.

โ–บMore details

• posted by tree-peony
    on

thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Lostgirl
    on

Well I thought I would let you know how I got on.

CRAP

It started well, the thursday, full cooked, but I ate toast, i couldnt help it, i didnt need it yet this white bread dripping in butter was saying eat me , so i did. Thank god it was crap toast as if it was nice i would really have lost my way!

Curry was good! ordered tandoori chicken and its came with peppers and onions, i had ordered a side dish so i wouldnt go for rice, and it was lovely only found out it had some potato in. What i found was interesting was pressure from others to eat rice and naan bread.
    They knew i was on a diet yet apparently a curry isn’t a curry without rice. I gave in and had a spoon full

but not bad so far

sunday

well off to mothers for the family roast, i had told her about the diet and that i would eat lot of protein and veg, it was sooo good, but she did huge roasts, bless her as she didn’t quiet understand they who no carbs, she did extra big roasters to stop the fat being absorbed, however as she had made them that big for me i was under pain of death not to eat them, it was good soooo good.

dinner was lovely and i stupidly had seconds, well little while later i was in agony. My body i feel had got used to no carbs or few carbs and i had just relapsed in a big way! My body was saying NO!

the pain was enough to make me think about my choices of food, however came pudding

now im not a chocolate lover, but I was asked for a light suggestion and i dont know why but i said this, its a mary berry recipe , 2 large krispy cakes , between them cream and peaches, or tinned pears.

I had a small bit, strange it was nice but not as nice as i was hoping for

few hours later the pain really kicked in, my body was telling me i am poisoning it.

As a result got on the scales and oh dear, but its dooable and we knew this was going to happen soooooo no guilt!

I even drank a pepsi max … that is my weakness

think i could do anything on the diet if that was by my side, but monday has come, i wanted something sooo nice for breakfast but it was cheesy beans and mushroom. I dont like it but, most of the breakfast options i dont like, personally would rather take out the cheese and put an egg in there.

lunch will be the ploughmans but smaller as really fancy the chilli beef for dinner!

on good news mums next door neighbour gave me a static bike but have to wait till it can be brought up to me

one of the nicest things said was before the meal( i bloated) was that you could see weight loss around my core!

that has spurred me on !

what this weekend has taught me ,is yes you can slip but try and plan your slip.

even monday im still in pain from yesterdays food!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I too slipped this w/e, but my error was a few alcoholic drinks. Managed to keep the food low carb and reasonably low cal – although I confess I wasn’t counting. It was sort of planned and I thought I had a good handle on things, however I am concerned that the resultant weight gain seemed disproportionate – 1.5lb. Admittedly, 0.6lb dropped yesterday, but it’s scary how deviating just a little from the 800cals can make such a difference in such a short time. I have a long holiday coming up and now don’t know how I’m going to keep the weight off.
    Have a little less than two weeks to A) hopefully lose a bit more weight before the off and B) try to get a handle on how to manage the two months plus while I’m away.

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Lostgirl
    Completely understand your pain.
    Attended 60th Birthday celebration at an Indian Restaurant on Saturday.
    Managed to stick to Vegetarian curries and no rice so that was good. But drank a glass of champagne and a glass of red wine.
    Felt obliged to eat the Indian sweet that our host and Birthday boy had specially ordered….’ Guabjaman’…..am I mad?
    This is a totally sugary confection and of course I paid the price in pain and weight gain yesterday.
    My body certainly objected but today all fine and temporary weight gain happily lost.
    Pleased to be back on track so quickly and sort of relieved my body tells me that it would prefer me to eat as healthily as possible!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi lostgirl, look at it like this – you learned some big lessons.

Now you pick yourself up, dust yourself down and start all over again ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by zebbie
    on

Ive totally indulged this Easter! Not too bad today but the rest of the Holiday has been a total food fest.
    Never mind. Onwards and downwards!!!! I’m going to be back on it proper tomorrow

• posted by Jandz100
    on

I too have had a carb heavy weekend with food & drink and I’m suffering for it, have had a headache since yesterday, tummy is sore.

Despite my resolve to stay away from the chocolate I had an Easter egg this afternoon, one of those ยฃ1 size ones, it was awful and now I feel worse than ever, have been asleep for 2 hours and it’s not helped.

I’m back at work tomorrow so back on the plan, have learnt 3 valuable lessons this weekend:

1. give up alcohol – I no longer enjoy drinking or the after effects
    2. stop eating chocolate – it tastes horrible
    3. Carbs make me feel rough as hell ๐Ÿ˜ณ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Jandz, tough at the moment but you’re right, you have learnt 3 valuable lessons.
    Have a great new working week ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Thanks hashimoto….I find it shocking how my body is reacting to carbs so badly so quickly, I’ve only been on bsd for 3 weeks.

I don’t think it’s until you’ve given something up that you realise how damaging it is to your health. However unpleasant I feel now, it is a startling wake up call to what I have been subjecting my body too all these years.

For 3 weeks I’ve been feeling well, sleeping soundly and full of energy, for 2 days I have felt the complete opposite…roll on tomorrow ๐Ÿ‘

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Jandz the local hospital has just announced that far too many people have turned up at A and E after over indulging on chocolate and other easter foods!!! I’ve never heard of that happening before – makes you think ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Now that is worrying….how much do you need to eat before needing hospital treatment ?!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I don’t know which is more shocking that people ate enough easter eggs to make themselves ill or the fact that they would waste doctors time at A and E! ๐Ÿ™

• posted by Lostgirl
    on

yay im not the only one!! although i dont think i was bad re sugar, i was very good, but tonight i need something sweet!!!

im ready to pull my hair out and go to the shop and get a chocolate bar, all i have in the house is apples and im sick of them! ooh there is nutella but apples covered in nutella really is sinking a new low
    already maxed my limit for today, its those bloody cheesy baked beans and mushrooms!

but no matter what happens this weight loss isn’t going to happen over night… baby steps, each mouthful of good food is a victory

thing is i feel full! i dont need to eat yet i want to eat something sweet… arrgh i hate being this fat!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Lostgirl
    The cravings will pass, but I know it’s the surviving them right now that’s tough. Try a little mindfulness and take a few moments to think about how annoyed with yourself you’d be if you give in. A phrase I’ve been using recently as a bit of a mental mantra, is the well known ‘Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.’.
    Stick with it and you won’t need to hate being fat anymore.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

hi Lostgirl – what sunnyb said!!! You will be surprised – a few weeks of this diet and some things start to taste sweet. I now find cashew nuts very sweet. Blueberries now taste very sweet. I’ve had to raid the freezer for blackberries to get some tart zing. I think it was liquorice tea that cherrianne said could settle a sweet craving – no cals, no carbs. You might need to buy some to help you through! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Patsy
    on

Jandz, I’m sorry you’re not feeling well, but on the plus side it sounds as though you won’t be craving those foods now.

Lostgirl – a bit of nutella wouldn’t be too bad, would it? Not on bread or anything, just a small spoonful and make it last as long as you can. Better than going to the shop and buying a bar and scoffing the whole lot on the way home.

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Thanks Patsy

I’ve had some roast beef, broccoli and gravy for tea and I feel somewhat better, going to take myself off to bed and start to read the book again to get back in the right frame of mind.

Tomorrow is a new day, I’m back working 8 til 8, so I’m defrosting a portion of sausage & lentils from freezer and made a curried chickpea salad to take into work with me. Think I’m slightly over the 50g carbs but it’s a whole lot better than the last 3 days.

Have a good week everyone x

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Lostgirl,
    I really hope you are getting over the craving for something sweet by now. How awful!! It’s your body’s attempt to force you back into eating carbs. It doesn’t want to kick over into fat burning mode because it’s used to using sweet, sugary carbs as fuel. Bill described that stage once as being like a toddler having a tantrum. That’s a good analogy. We can understand the tantrum but as adults we know what’s best so we can’t give in to tantrums can we? We can comfort a toddler ( or body) through one but we must stand firm.
    Next time you are shopping grab some liquorice tea, or if you don’t like liquorice Twinings have a ginger and apple one. Both liquorice and ginger help digestion and the sugar cravings. Strangely enough I found that a slice of lemon in hot water helped ease the need for something sweet.
    The cravings should pass soon if you can keep your carb intake low. I didn’t have a sweet tooth, apart from biscuits, before I started the BSD. Within a week though I was unexpectedly craving something sweet. Possibly because I was strictly limiting my fruit intake.
    There are many reformed chocoholics on here who will tell you that this stage will pass. You will surprise yourself one day soon when you realise it doesn’t hold the appeal anymore.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Lostgirl
    I was talked into trying a little trifle and cake over the weekend, and the strangest thing happened.
    I though they would taste sickly sweet as I have been off sugar for so long, but, they actually had a taste that I couldn’t identify as being sweet. Fortunately, they didn’t spike my sugar either.
    That hasn’t happened to me before and I’m wondering if it’s happened to others but I think I can say with certainty that my sweet tooth is well and truly gone.
    Just hang in there and take it one step at a time, the benefits will soon pile up.

Please log in or register to post a reply.