The Dodgy Diabetic cookery course

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Frog and Verano, I said to my husband that one day next week I am going to make an aubergine layed lasagne, griddle the aubergine and use that instead of the pasta. He said, do you mean like a bolognaise meat sauce in a dish with aubergine and cheese sauce. I said, yes. He said, that is called a moussaka.

• posted by Verano
    on

LOL!!!

Mousaka is the dish that put me off aubergine for life …. but am on the verge of trying again.

Enjoy!

• posted by Frog
    on

Your husband could have a point there! I do like moussaka
    M&S have their dine in for £10 again – think I’ll be eating chicken a lot this week.
    I was very good and got the fruit salad desert option!

I might treat myself to a small potato to roast with the chicken – I must get more creative with the left over chicken though, it got a bit boring last time.

• posted by Frog
    on

about 10 or 11 weeks
    I ordered cat food the other day, and forgot to add on Froglet’s advent calendar.

• posted by Frog
    on

Another class this morning – made stuffed butternut squash, bit carby, but I cut out a third of the quinoa
    The butternut squash didn’t really get time to bake properly, so was quite hard – and was a bit bland. I diced some of the flesh and mixed it in with the stuffing mix – those bits tasted nicer, because they’d taken on more of the flavours.
    Had a nice Mexican breakfast dish too – the woman who heads up the cookery school is Mexican – sort of scrambled egg with onion and pepper in. It was nice, will have to get the recipe for that too.

We’re making soups (and bread!?) next week. I found a good website that had “ten best soups” with lots that sound interesting:
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/10/10-best-low-carb-soup-recipes-fall.html

I particularly like the sound of the Mexican chicken and lime one and the mulligatawny.
    The Greek one could be a potential disaster zone with the potential for curdled egg, but I bought some left over squash home from this morning, so I’m going to try that one at home.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi
    I’m beginning to regret the title of this thread – it’s actually quite good, had to listen to a bit of “should never skip breakfast” and “we all need carbs” this morning – but hey, I’m the one that ‘s stopped taking medication and have blood glucose in the normal range!

We did soups today – two of them were low carb recipes that I’d found and suggested
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/10/10-best-low-carb-soup-recipes-fall.html

The broccoli and cheese one was AMAZING
    I worked out the Nutrition using Fat secret, and calculated it at about 240 calories and 8.4g of carb
    From the same site, I made the Mexican chili and lime – it was a bit to spicy for me, but they didn’t have the right mexican chilli sauce, so it was made using Paprika instead – I’m really unused to cooking in such large quantities (2 kilos of chicken!), and I think I put too much in. Some people liked it.
    I also found it a bit too thin – if I made it again I would use less spice, and zap it in a blender.

There was also an excellent carrot and coriander soup that was delicious, but I haven’t double checked the carb count yet, and two allegedly low carb soda breads – I had a taste and liked them both. If they are low carb when I’ve double checked, I’ll post the recipes.

• posted by Frog
    on

Only one of the breads was low carb 10.5p per slice, (8g if you leave out the raisins) so an occasional treat if you’re keeping carbs ultra low, but it does taste amazing
    I have posted the recipe “Low Carb grain free soda bread”

• posted by Getting my life back
    on

Hi Frog thanks for the link will certainly be trying some of these soups have never liked shop brought ones. When you made the broccoli and cheese one how many portions did it make 🙂

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Getting my life back

somebody else in the group made that one, rather than me

if you click on the link to the actual recipe from the “ten best soups” page, it says for four people.
    http://www.closetcooking.com/2010/03/broccoli-and-cheddar-soup.html

because we were working in a largish group, we multiplied recipes up and made them for twelve – probably a bit much, because most of us sampled all four, so didn’t need a full portion. But all the extra soup did mean I got to bring lots home!

• posted by Frog
    on

I’ve just had a bit of a look around that ibreatheimhungry website – they have seven day menu plans that are a bit high calorie for the BSD 800 – typically double that calorie wise, but seem to be averaging 15g of carb a day – so you’d need to adjust a bit, but it could be a good source of new recipe and menu ideas

• posted by Getting my life back
    on

Hi Frog thanks for that will certainly try these soups bonus bringing some home will also have a look at the other recipes thank you x

• posted by Frog
    on

we made a kale and spinach curry today – very simple – I think I’d have preferred it with some salmon in.

I have just made low carb moussaka – the mock bechamel sauce was egg and Greek yogurt, and should have been feta cheese, I chucked some cheddar in because I had some to hand.
    I was finishing off some minced beef that I’d cooked at the weekend with tomatoes, onions & garlic.
    Following on from the low fat cooking methods for cooking aubergine the other week, I baked the aubergine rather than frying it, tasted really nice. Feeling v full now!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Frog

I have never eaten kale! Another ‘must try’ I bought an aubergine a couple of weeks ago and it’s still sitting in the fridge!!!! Must cook it …. did you bake it sliced brushed with oil?

I made a courgette lasagne a while ago and I really didn’t like the consistency of the ‘fake’ béchamel. I think I made it with ricotta but it was just very eggy! Was your sauce ok? Will try it again if it was.

Hope you’re well.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Verano
    I’m fine – just haven’t been posting recently as much along with not logging all my food – I realised I was getting more obsessed than I ever was with food and eating! Hope that you’re well, I’ve not really caught up with posts.
    One of the regional diabetes programmes last night drew a link between diabetes and food obsessions,

Kale is a bit odd, acquired taste! I left the stalky bits in yesterday, and thy were still a bit hard, but I like them al dente – I’ll post the recipe later.
    I also like kale on its own, but with sesame oil tossed thru it after cooking.

The fake bechamel wasn’t overly eggy – although the recipe just used the egg yolk, and I just chucked in a whole egg – presumably the yolk alone would have been eggier.
    I brushed the aubergines with oil (about two teaspoons for a largish aubergine) and baked them for about 15-20 minutes
    http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2014/05/13/low-carb-moussaka/
    – and the woman that posted the recipe says she likes to keep things simple – phah!!! separating eggs, frying aubergines!!!
    I’d make it again – possibly cook it for longer on a lower heat to see if the layers melded better.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Frog

Yes I’m fine thanks. I don’t think I’m obsessed with food … I only weight everything I can when I’m at home! When I start carrying scales with me to weight food when I’m out then I’ll know I’m obsessed !!!!

I’m going to try the aubergine later for lunch but not quite sure what to have with it. I’ve got cottage cheese I need to use ???

If I like it I may try the moussaka.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Slice the Aubergine thinly and fry until brown, Slice a beef tomato and assemble a tower with a layer of Aubergine, a layer of tomato and a layer of cottage cheese and repeat. I add some basil leaves, a dash of olive oil and a bit of parmesan on top and pop under the grill till the parmesan changes colour.

I’ve also used mozzarella instead of cottage cheese and field mushrooms instead of the aubergine.

Thinking of trying it with Hummus and Chilli…..

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi JulesMaigret
    I like your recipe – it looks tasty and easy to do. Someone has just given me an aubergine from their garden. Will try this for lunch tomorrow.

• posted by Frog
    on

this week we made Moroccan Chicken stew, which was amazing – i have entered the recipe here. The portion I bought home tasted even better the next day – the spices and flavours had time to meld and blend.

Just back from the seasonal vegetable class – beetroot.
    Really easy soup with onion and beetroot, and a tiny bit of orange added at the end – tasted amazing and looked beautiful.

Also very un-BSD – beetroot and chocolate cake, and beetroot risotto
    yes, I did try them! – but I did manage to chop up a 200g bar of chocolate and not eat any 🙂
    200g made two very large cakes, and I had quite a small piece
    the vegetable cookery group isn’t connected to the diabetic one, just at the same place (no there is no new beat diabetes diet that features chocolate cake!)

somebody had taken in homemade vegetable and lentil soup – that was good too

Please log in or register to post a reply.