The BSD Fast 800: Meal Plan guide

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Danny84
    on

Hi all, I’m new here. Can someone a days example of what you eat, spread over a day, on the 800 Calorie days? Also, have people accomplished a full 7 days of non stop 800 calories a day? Cheers, Danny.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Danny84
    Lots and lots! The list is endless. A standard example of mine would be 2xrashers bacon breakfast, lunch 300ml soup and 30g any kind of cheese, dinner – 100g meat and 50g vegetables, any kind, boiled or roasted in a little oil, would snack on 20g hazelnuts and a square of dark chocolate.
    During the first 8 weeks I used a lot of the recipes in the book, the peanut butter dip, the jewelled feta peppers, beetroot falafels. Now I mostly just make soup and nothing extra, having got into the habit of what and what not to eat.
    Other good things include babybels, 90g of full fat greek yoghurt, an egg for breakfast
    I also use 100cal on a full fat latte each morning but that is a personal thing 🙂 It’s deliciously filling though.

• posted by Danny84
    on

Thanks heaps Baristagirls. Can you tell me a few good examples of soups you make? Whats best for low calories? Also, eggs are a good breakfast source you would think, if I split it up between bacon one day and eggs the next? And what wold happen on a 800 calories day if I “stuffed” up? Just continue the next day strictly on 800 calories? Thank you again. Danny.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Danny84 – eggs one day bacon the next is fine! I used to have one rasher of bacon and one egg for one breakfast but now I am just not hungry enough, so one is fine, and saves the calories for later 🙂 Some days I have 90g yoghurt for breakfast, sometimes I have nothing but my latte to make me feel more in fasting mode!
    Don’t worry about stuffing up. The occasional “strugglesome” day I blew all my calories but as long as I stayed low carb I was surprised and pleased not to have gained. As you say, straight back on the diet….
    Soups, hmmm, any soup is low cal I suppose, we started out using a creamy one on this website with tinned tomatoes, now we just tend to bung in any vegetables (just make sure you count quantites so you can tot up the calorie total). Celery, chopped onion, courgette, all in the mixer along with however much stock you need. Chicken stock or vegetable stock we usually use. Generally it turns out to be about 30cal for 300ml – lunch sorted with some calories to throw on 30g cheese – delicious! 🙂

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Danny, here is an example of a couple of days when I first started and followed the menus.
    Grilled mushrooms and poached egg breakfast (150 cal), Tuna & Cream Cheese dip with veg for dipping (195 cal), grilled chicken on white bean mash (440 cal) recipe in BSD book. Total for day 785 cal.
    Blueberry and green tea shake (100 cal), Ploughmans (290 cal), vegetable curry with cauliflower rice (270 cal) Total 660 cal – maybe allow a 10g square of dark chocolate at 50 cal.
    Sunday brunch of grilled bacon, mushrooms, fried egg, canned tomatoes (around 280 cal), lamb stew (250 cal) snack of ham on ryvita with butter and pickle (160 cal) – square of dark chock (50 cal) – total 740 cal

Hope that helps, planning is very important so if you have the book write yourself a menu plan for the week with the calories. I didn’t bother with carb counting at that stage as I knew I was low carb because I wasn’t eating the usual culprits.

Good luck,

• posted by Jo Gardner
    on

Hi Danny84, thanks for starting this thread. It’s really interesting and helpful for me as I’ve only been on this diet for 3 days. Today being the third day. Thinking up what to eat that won’t put me over the 800 calories a day has been difficult. It’s good to see how others are doing it.
    Baristagirls, your ideas are marvelous. I’m going to get into making that soup for lunch. That should be really healthy and filling.
    sunshine-girl thank you also for the great ideas. There’s some really tasty treats there beginning with the grilled mushrooms and poached egg for breakfast.
    For anyone who can help, before I started this I was on the Low Carb Healthy Fat Atkins diet and lost 20 kg. I used to have the Atkins shake twice a day as a meal. Is that considered an option on this diet, does anyone know? I just really enjoy the flavour and find it very satisfying. But as I’m more interested in getting my blood sugars to be low at all times and hopefully get off the metformin I wan’t to be sure I’m doing this properly.
    Thanks for any help and advice you can give me.

• posted by Danny84
    on

Thanks Baristagirls, sunshine-girl and Jo Gardner for all your help. Ive made my mind up, first week of January im starting! Also joint up a program in Adelaide, Australia called http://www.stepintolife.com.au/ which is a PT session in a group. So thanks again to all. Enjoy your break.

on

Jo, as long as you ditch the bad carbs your Blood Glucose will go down. At this time of year the calories are not important, they are for weight loss but for controlling BG it is the carbs that are important. My HbA1c has gone from 8.2 to 5.9 plus I am on 50% less insulin and half the glicizides.

• posted by Jo Gardner
    on

sunshine-girl thank you for that. Congrätulätions on getting your HbA1c down so much. That’s terrific.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

My starting HbA1c last December was 9.6. By April it was 5.5 and in July 5.2. Fasting blood on starting day was 10.9 but it’s been down in the ‘normal’ range for months now. Today (just a random test) it was 4.1.

I wasn’t on any diabetes medication but had reached the point where it WW as being threatened again. Not any more!

All done by following this way of eating.

• posted by Forkers
    on

Hi all,
    This is a great thread!
    I am planning on starting again as I did a year ago but have put the weight back on.
    Iv seen a lot of people say they aren’t hungry on the diet, and I wonder what I did wrong as I was SO HUNGRY.

I stuck to only having 50g of veg but can I actually fill up on veg? As I’ve seen some people say yes, some know amd I’m very confused!

on

you will be hungry to start with but you will get used to it. I try to have a 50 or so calories left over so I can have a snack or I make a calorie controlled meal but put a little to one side for later, this works well with omelette. As long as you snack on something BSD friendly you shouldn’t do too much harm even if you do exceed the 800 on the odd day. Also drink plenty of water, it fills you up too.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Where does the 50 gram figure come from? I’ve only seen 50 grams used as a limit for daily carb count, not for vegetable weight. The 50 gram level is used as a guideline for maximum carbs because it seems to be a bit of a sweet spot for getting to and staying in a fat burning state. You can eat giant piles of veggies and never get anywhere near that carb count if you avoid the problematic ones like root veg. I ate 300 grams of rapini alone yesterday, plus another 200 of spinach and 90 of sauerkraut and kimchi. Total carbs for all of those veggies was 2 grams. Total calories 138.

on

Missed the 2nd part of the question. 50g of veg is wrong as Esnecca says, it is probably the 50g of carbs which can be a lot of veg of the low carb type. Veg is great for filling up.

Please log in or register to post a reply.