The big losers support party ๐ŸŽ‰ ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Lucy what a wonderful loss in two weeks – as good as a stone. I’m so pleased for you! I would like to achieve the same, but typically I’m a slower loser so will be over the moon with half a stone ๐Ÿ™‚
    I agree on the body liking lower carbs but sometimes if I go as low as 20 I feel quite ill. Its probably the carb flu but when it lasts for more than 8 weeks as with me – its just a killer. And I can’t stick with it. So more recently I go for between 50-60g.
    Lol, on the fishy days we seem to be in sync! Yesterday I had baked salmon at lunch and for dinner when I got home I went for some fried haddock. I used a little oil (well worth the calories) and 10g flour to coat it in. It was a gluten free flour and sure, it had 8g carb in, but it made it really tasty and didn’t take me over my personal carb limit. Had that with peas.
    Today is slightly less fishy – I had cottage cheese for breakfast and a latte of course, and for lunch I have corn salad and two boiled eggs. Still not sure on dinner yet. By next week I hope to have lots of food in stock and meals planned.
    Big weigh in on Friday – when 1 week is up!
    Hoping Towanda is doing ok.
    Sorry for the ramblings but I’ve decided if I try and post regularly I will feel more in control! Here’s to the new healthy us!

• posted by Lucy2000
    on

Morning BG
    Ooh never apologise for chatting I remember when I first did this on the hello thread it was nothing for people to post 15 times a day took some keeping up with, but we were all successful.
    Iโ€™m using this a a own up diary. So if Iโ€™m a fast looser and you are slow with what weโ€™ve both got to loose we may get there at the same time. Iโ€™m aiming to get to target by the spring.
    Yes re carbs I like 50-60 allows me to have nuts, pulses, etc
    Another busy day ahead, will be having the aubergine bake tonight definitely nothing else lurking to be eaten
    Have a happy day keep posting
    ๐Ÿ‘—

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Lucy, thanks. You’re probably quite right cos I hope to lose two stone by Christmas so with a bit of determination and hard work I might be at my target by spring as well (4 stone target loss). :):):):)

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

I’ll use this thread as it’s probably now dead and I don’t want to upset other threads – that is not fair.
    I just want to say a little of how I feel before I go. I may be the only one, but with people that would lurk and not post, I may not be the only one.

Just to make it clear – I absolutely disagree with people being hauled over the coals for giving heartfelt advice. It is the receiver’s choice how to implement. We can all make our own choices. We are all right, and we are all wrong. We are all humans. Advice is one of the ways the world goes round and heartfelt advice should continue to be given. The disclaimer covers that. I haven’t emailed Lucy or anything like that, upset to see her go but I guess I don’t agree with what she has been saying about advice etc. I’m sorry that we won’t be losing weight together anymore though.

However, I now feel quite sad. I rejoined the forum to get motivation to stick at the weight-loss again. Oftimes, I really struggle with motivation. I sometimes feel compelled to report, to keep myself accountable, but never quite sure how to approach it best for me. My difference though – is threads. Over the years, I have struggled with big threads. Some time back (feels like long ago now), I tried joining the weekly and monthly threads with quite a few attempts because I enjoyed reading the posts and hoped it would work for me. Each time I failed to hit target (my fault, I know) and I found the large busy threads counterproductive. They were by nature large and busy, full of good advice, but I felt less accountable and felt I could slip unnoticed out of the crowd when I was adopting bad eating habits, and it was easy just not to post. I know they say, what you put in, you get out. I’m just not that good at being an excellent exciting online participator though.

The trend I was noticing with the smaller threads was that they died away, so that didn’t really seem to be the answer either, although I always felt a smaller thread would help me feel much more accountable and focused. We’re all different. I can see that so many people thrive and survive and thrive again on the main threads, and for that, I am truly truly glad. Yet – we are all different. A lot of the people on the smaller threads were guided over to the bigger threads , all gathered up in one as it were – and a lot of them were really pleased. I do not begrudge them that. I can see it keeps it together more, and less all over the place. That, though, left the other threads a bit wanting and next to nothing, and eventually nothing.

Some of these smaller threads are pointed out as being “private” or other like adjectives. I can see why it looks that way but sometimes that is how some people cope. If I had personally successfully set up a thread, it would never be intended to be private or exclusive. Anyone could post on it with advice but as soon as it might become some great “forum thread” I mentally can’t cope and back off. Sounds weird huh? I think those busy threads should exist though. I can see how great they are. Just not for every participator though.

I wish I hadn’t bothered to come back in the first place, but I suppose I am getting this off my chest.

California-girl, I hope you are enjoying Bristol and Bath. I though I’d chuck that in, because I know the area very well. Take time to go out to the Bristol Channel, if you haven’t already, and enjoy the little seaside resorts with their walks, like Clevedon and Portishead. You probably won’t thank me for quoting it, but I loved your earlier comment. “Intelligent people can hold diametrically opposite viewpoints.” Thank you. Its really helping me and its a really nice example of how to view other people and that sort of thing will help keep this forum running for many other people in the future days to come.

BGxx

• posted by Birdy76
    on

BG I understand where you are coming from when it comes to the big threads. I lurked for ages as I felt it was so big and people seemed established in their threads and thought I may not cope or even get noticed, but I did and I loved it. I was also once accused of being an internet bot! Robot because I was quick to jump from thread to thread and chat with everyone including all the other little threads. It was a mistake and it didnโ€™t deter me in the least. I hold no ill will about it either and actually thought it was quite funny. If you need support on a smaller scale that is good, as you say we are all different and different ways are more helpful to each and everyone. I will keep and eye on this thread and if you feel like posting then please do so as I will always here to encourage and help in anyway I can. A lot of our ladies have ignored this thread for obvious reasons. You are correct in saying we can all be right and wrong, but we all want the same thing! To lose weight and get advice and support as and when needed. I started my journey needing to lose 5 stone and I thought it would be like all the other diets I had tried and it would not work for me! But low and behold I am 3 and a half stone lighter after just 17 weeks and I have had to tweak this WOE to suit me. I have appreciated all the hints and tips that have been given although some just havenโ€™t worked for me. It doesnโ€™t matter what you need BG there will always be someone here to help! Of that you can be sure. So post when you want and about what you need. I am just sorry it went the way it did! The written word can be misconstrued and sound worse than it is and yes the long standing ladies can seem a bit scary as they have been there and done it, but they are really only trying to help. So I hope you will stick around and I wish you all the luck in the world. I have been lucky and made some firm friends from this forum and I will continue post on here as I too need to be accountable of what I might eat and mess up on. So just know I am here. I am no expert by any means and I have only been doing it for 17 weeks but I am getting there and weight is disappearing. Good luck BG. Birdy๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿฆœ xx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Baristagirls, your post is really very moving. Please do stay. If the busier threads are not helping you, and I can completely understand why for some there might be too much “noise”, then you must start your own thread, or someone can start one for you and others who might feel the same – it would not be “private” – but we will all respect you and make sure it doesn’t become overwhelming – and if it ever did, then you could (and must) say so. If for example what CaliforniaGirl has said has resonated with you, I am sure she would be happy to offer the wonderful support she does, but in a more “intimate” space. And there may be others whose posts you have also found particularly helpful. Do just shout out to them – no one would feel excluded or side-lined if you don’t, and you can take things at your own pace, and in the way that is most helpful to you. Take care and all best wishes.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

My post crossed with Birdy’s – Baristagirls, I was the one who thought Birdy was a bot…I will never live that one down but we have very much moved on from that!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Baristagirls. Thank you for your thoughtful post. I am glad you came back, and hope you stay. A lot of what you say resonates with me. Sometimes the busy posts feel like a thrashing swimming pool, and it’s never clear when best to jump in. Other times they feel like a warm bath and just what I need! I find that I have quieter periods when I withdraw and lurk, and am always relieved to get a good welcome on my return. We each find our best way of contributing and benefiting from this forum. As sixturkeys says, there is scope for quieter threads and smaller groups. I hope you will find that quieter compromise to help you on your journey.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Baristagirl – I get what you mean about the big threads but Iโ€™ve found the more regularly that I post, the more I start to connect with people even on those bigger threads. I started the Egg Fast one but by no means โ€œownโ€ it, nor want to, it belongs to all of us as do all the others. Itโ€™s quite small and I donโ€™t think any of us that are currently on it would care if you jumped on and needed non egg-related support ๐Ÿ˜Š. We would love to have you x

• posted by Verano
    on

Ahh Baristagirls I know exactly how you feel. It can be so overwhelming and counter productive. I find that if Iโ€™m just โ€˜here โ€˜ and respond, join in , comment as and when then it doesnโ€™t become so overwhelming. Maybe the answer is in not feeling the need to respond to every post on every thread you join. There is so much support here but maybe for you it might be best just to โ€˜dip inโ€™ and โ€˜dip out โ€˜ of threads as and when it suits you. Just donโ€™t give up.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi BG,
    Some people set up “personal threads” because they want the benefits of publicly reporting progress on the forum in a blog style to help with motivation
    Some people sign up with the website to get email alerts whenever there is a post on a thread they are following.
    Some people just use the latest posts option on the website to read all posts on all threads.
    As you say, this is a warm friendly environment for support. If you set up a thread for yourself and say how you would like it to work then we will follow your lead. –
    Even if you only post on your thread when you need help those of us who read all posts will respond and hopefully in time you will get to know us and joining in the wider forum will not feel so daunting.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

BaristaGirls – I hope you’re still lurking? I had a good mull over your heartfelt post. I took a couple of months off from the forums earlier this year (March and April) as I was treading water and not getting anywhere fast, plus finding it hard to keep up with the boards. I didn’t even lurk! During that time, I had email contact with a couple of our friends from here and that was perfect for me at that time, whilst I took some time out to catch my breath. So I do understand where you are coming from. I set up a bsd email address: kazzlchf@yahoo.com. If this approach would work for you, gentle support via a couple of emails here and there, no pressure because there are times when life just gets in the way, I would love to hear from you. ๐Ÿ™‚ I am also still “maintaining” with 75 lbs still to lose and have been treading water for the last 20 months! I am very much a work in progress! I also remember you from when I joined nearly 2 years ago and so it was a lovely surprise to see you return recently. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Kazzeexx

• posted by greenjanet
    on

So for those who care to read, after reporting various threads, I have been cheered to see the admin notification regarding what I tried to say a few days ago. That they have acknowledged that, the matter I was debating needed clarification which they have done. Thank you admins. Iโ€™m sure for anyone taking advice literally here it may save someoneโ€™s health.
    Also thank you to Grinach and Towanda 57 and 4 others who wish to remain anonymous for your support, in what was happening to me on here.
    I have noted 3 negative comments regarding myself in the last few days, Iโ€™m politely asking for you to desist. If the admin is happy then so should we be ๐Ÿ˜Š
    So Iโ€™m not here to have tea and cake Iโ€™m here to loose weight.๐Ÿ‘™๐Ÿ‘™๐Ÿ‘™
    I have to date not gone of plan at all, and carbs except one day have all been below 50 g
    I have lost 15 1/2lbs Thursday is my next weigh day hoping to loose 2 more pound pixies by then.
    ๐Ÿ‘—๐Ÿ‘—๐Ÿ‘—
    So of to the river now to walk my dog

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, Baristagirls…I’m delving into the recesses of my mind, so I might have this wrong, but did you begin this journey with another family member? Please set up any sort of thread that would be the most comfortable for you…Those of us
    that dedicate time to supporting others will find you, and will offer any kind of support that you may need. There are
    plenty of old timers out and about, and I’m sure that they will remember you, too. ๐Ÿ™‚ Very best,

Allie

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I remember Baristagirl, start your own thread and let this one go and only ask for the help and support you need. We will try not to overwhelm you.

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Hello GreenJanet! That message from admin was very useful I agree. It clarified a lot of things for me which I didnโ€™t even think needed clarifying ๐Ÿ˜…
    For instance I didnโ€™t realise MM advise was to move to 5:2 once having reached healthy BMI. I had plan to stay on fast 800 until reaching my goal weight which is BMI ~21-22.
    Iโ€™m happy to see that you have returned, and well done on your progresses!!
    I have lost 75% of what I need to lose so feel very excited too. Although when I get close to goal is when sometimes thing unravelled. So I need to reframe my mind as Iโ€™m in this for life x

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Louise
    Very good to hear of your continued excellent progress, so delighted for you, I expect everything is getting easier as you will be able to move faster and I expect your partner is loving the emerging butterfly. Enjoy ๐Ÿ‘—
    Thank you for your support, I have had some very uplifting emails even from admin. Yes I agreed the post they put on was absolutely needed, I always work on the worst scenario and it only wants one to take it to the pinoltumate. I have as a senior midwife observed devastating stuff from litigation.
    I also believe in rules and boundaries to keep everyone safe and secure. Iโ€™m very happy about that now, for a while I lost confidence in this forum, to operate as a safe zone.
    Back to the important stuff food Ooh I tried your cabbage recipe isnโ€™t it absolutely divine, it tasted so like a green Thai curry It was weird although it only had stock no herbs salt and pepper. Thank you for that. That will be a weekly one for me even in summer ๐Ÿค—
    Yes I think Jan has been beamed up and an alien came and took her over as Iโ€™m being so on plan I donโ€™t recognise myself.๐Ÿ‘ฝ loving alien Jan itโ€™s so restful having the monster dragon appetite firmly tied to the fence in the next county, long may it stay there.
    Well got a busy day today doing lovely outdorsey things and lots of walking, and all plan friendly ๐Ÿ‘—๐Ÿ‘—๐Ÿ‘—
    Keep up the good work ๐Ÿ™‹

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Logging in for Sunday just over 18,000 steps with a lot of HIT thrown in for good measure ๐ŸŒ so exhausted struggled to eat my food Lol cals 766 carbs 24 so pleased with that.
    Today hopped on scales expecting a plateau due to the exercise and am down another 2 1/2 pesky pixie pounds. Delighted with that, very busy week ahead, but will be able to eat on plan again.
    Finding a lot of good nutritional and mainly exercise advice on line with MFP, and itโ€™s definitely making a difference in my motivation.
    So looking forward to week 3 weigh in down 18 lbs so far, and cm lost all over already ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Awesome results, well done GreenJanet!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.