Suggestions or Menu ideas please

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Hi everyone
    So glad found out about this way of changing my lifestyle as on reading the book and some of the threads here it so makes such sense!

I am diagnosed type 2 on metformin 2000mg plus added insulin as recently diagnosed with other condition needing huge doses of prednisalone at 50mg per day

Been trying low carb diet but really want to attempt the Med way of eating

Bit stumped at minute re calories, or carbs so wondered if anyone has got a daily plan / menus to browse as am much better at following something in black n white like that. I suppose I could follow the daily plans in the book, adding more to it as needed.

I have been making these breakfast muffins using ground almonds which are delicious and ground almond cakes as snacks but can see am probably going over an allowance to start losing this visceral fat I need to lose!

Any ideas tips or pointers greatfully received

Thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Have you got the BSD book by Michael Mosley. There are some good suggestions in there. Just type into Google, low carbs and low calorie and you should get some meals – watch out that they don’t have the traditional carbs like rice or pasta. I go on a site called http://www.sparkpeople.com and they have what they call SparkTeams, you can find one called Living Healthily with Insulin Resistance/ Low Calorie Diet where people have posted lots of ideas.

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Yes thanks, I have the book which am reading as I said but the meal plans are looking like for 800 cal for bsd which is why I thought to ask if anyone has recorded their eating plan and may share..?

Thanks for the suggestion will check that out…

on

I have done a 4 week menu plan by following Michael’s plan but adjusting for things I don’t like (mainly fishy stuff). On week one I put the calories next to each meal with a total for the day. For weeks 2, 3 and 4 I did the same but also included the page number for the recipe as I got sick of having to check the meal, check the index then check the page for the recipe. So now I am super organised but I don’t know how to share this with you. Try using his menu plans.

The first thing I would cut out are the ground almond cakes – sorry.
    Can someone advise how I can add, like a photo. I know if I copy and paste it will go all over the place.

on

Okay, I have had a look and this is my copy and paste, hope you can make some sense out of it. Just looked at it and it is a bit untidy and I have taken out the page numbers because they just made it a mess. So this has been my diet for the last 3, nearly 4 weeks. I started on a Tuesday which is why the first day is that.

Menu
    Week 1 Breakfast cal Lunch cal Dinner cal Total

Tuesday Melon, spinach drink 130 Pepper and jewel salad 220 Aubergine and lamb 490 840

Wednesday Blueberry and green tea 100 Ploughman 290 Spicy chicken, lentils 470 860

Thursday Poached egg, avocado 200 Beetroot falafels 290 Veg frittata 320 810

Friday Portobello toast 150 Tuna dip 195 Chicken stir fry 340 810

Saturday Blueberry and green tea 100 Chicken salad 270 Skinny chilli 460 830

Sunday Snack – nuts 100 Cheesey baked beans 260 Pork and apples 450 810

Week 2

Monday Blueberry and green tea 100 Chicken butter bean salad 270 Tuna cakes 440 810

Tuesday Poached egg avocado 200 Ploughmans 290 Veg curry with cauli rice 270 760

Wednesday No carb bircher 180 Tuna dip 195 Chicken on white beans 440 815

Thursday Portobello toast 150 Lettuce cup/chick & walnut 300 Veg frittata 320 770

Friday Yog and passion fruit 130 Beetroot and apple soup 200 Luxury fish pie 470 815

Saturday Blueberry and green tea 100 Chicken salad 270 Harrissa chicken 420 790

Sunday Portobello toast 150 Steak and crème fraiche 415 565

Week 3

Monday Avocado, tuna & spring oni 200 Chickpea & nut salad 270 Tomato & egg bake 350 820

Tuesday Scrambled egg & tomato 200 Chickpea & spinach soup 210 Chicken stir fry 340 750

Wednesday Melon shake 130 Courgette & feta salad 270 Veg fritatta 320 720

Thursday Chilli cheese eggs 230 Bacon & avocado salad 290 Pork stir fry 270 790

Friday No carb bircher 180 Orange & manchego salad 280 Veg curry 270 730

Saturday Blueberry & green tea 100 Minted pea hummus 170 Lamb Meatballs 480 750

Sunday Skinny kedgeree 360 snack Turkey & apricot burgers 460 820

Week 4

Monday Melon shake 130 Ploughmans 290 Luxury fish pie (F) 470 890

Tuesday Yog and passion fruit 130 Bacon & avocado 290 Veg curry (F) 270 690

Wednesday Portobello toast 150 Chicken & asparagus 270 Veg fritatta 320 670

Thursday Blueberry green tea 100 Beetroot & apple soup (F) 200 Spicy chicken & lentils 470 770

Friday Yog & rhubarb 160 Beetroot hummus 200 Aubergine lamb 490 850

Saturday Eggs chilli cheese 230 Chickpea & spinach soup (F) 210 Bolognaise 260 700

Sunday Bacon and egg brunch Snack Lamb +++

Good dieting

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Thank you so much Sunshine girl!!

Really helpful

The carb value of the fruit cakes I snack on work out at 5.5g carb per cake slice x 10 ….but calorie wise OMG they work out at 229 cals each YIKES best check out the ones in book – unless I can swap them to stay within my calorie range..umm
    I need something as am also Coeliac too…so gluten free diet on top!!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi 1960smp,
    There’s a lot of good information on this website (Get Started and Recipes) that helps you get your head around the low carbohydrate med style of eating. If you follow the tips in the Get Started section, you’ll find that calories and carbs are automatically reduced.
    There’s a huge range in the grams of carbs people can tolerate and also what motivates people to follow the BSD (eg to reverse Type 2 diabetes, reverse insulin resistance, to lose weight, to lead a healthier lifestyle).
    In the BSD book, the only macronutrient MM quotes grams for is protein, and I remember it’s 45 grams/day for women (because it applies to me).
    Read the forums, read the book and all of the information on this website and even throw in a bit of your own research by exploring what else is around about low carb med style eating.
    Best wishes.

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Thanks Switzerland…off to read more…

• posted by Lowenna
    on

I started yesterday. I can really recommend the cauliflower rice. It was a revelation. Doesn’t even taste like cauliflower

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Amazing stuff isn’t it? And so versatile too. I’m absolutely sold on it and make sure I have cauli in the fridge all the time now. Try blitzing it with some fresh herbs too – delicious!

• posted by 1960smp
    on

@ sunshine-girl, your menu is easy to follow and appreciate your efforts for me, thanks. Can I also ask, did / do you not snack at all? and is this including drinks? guessing just water?
    Thanks

Please log in or register to post a reply.