Sugar addiction

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Addee
    on

Hi all. (Sorry in advance for the long essay).

I started on the diet earlier this year and felt fantastic very quickly. Although difficult to understand at first.
    I then had surgery in my shoulder back in September and ever since then eaten nothing but rubbish. Lots of carbs and sugar.
    Being stuck at home isn’t helping, being bored means food.
    I have now found the side affect I used to have are coming back. Shakes and a form of blackouts from too much sugar.
    This I now know means I need to stop and get back onto the diet.
    Problem I need help with though is motivation to stop the sugar/carbs.
    Any advice or ideas please.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Adee, you have to look at the post call Got to get sugar out of my life with reference to Prof Taylor, it has been posted recently

• posted by shalimar
    on

Well if shakes and blackouts don’t stop your sugar addiction …. i might post a few things here.

p.s. You know how they do the PET scan to discover cancer cells … they give you glucose sugar with radioactive material and since cancer cells eat more sugar than other cells do …. they can find the cancer cells.

http://drsircus.com/medicine/cancer/sugar-cancer-growth-research

Sugar and Cancer Growth Research
    Posted by Dr Sircus on December 13, 2012 | Filed under Cancer, Medicine
    Strategy for Selective Starvation of Cancer Cells

• posted by shalimar
    on

p.s. There is a facebook group for sugar addiction. I belong to it under my real name Christel Klein.

Do you know some call Alzheimer’s Disease Diabetes 3??

• posted by shalimar
    on

I am trying to think of tips other than don’t eat sugar which really isn’t terribly useful.

If you eat sugar/carbs every day …. even though the addictive brain is telling you more, more more … try and cut down before trying to go cold turkey …. or it will be like drug withdrawal.

Just try and be a bit better every day.

If you like dairy …. indulge in high fat cream and butter and a bit of cheese. Eat healthy meat, fish, veggies, salad so you are not hungry. The brain loves natural fats (not processed vegetable oils). But garlic butter on your veggies. Fry your fish in butter, Have bacon and eggs.

Boredom. Stuck at home. Been there done that. Try and find non food solutions to boredom. I’ve just spent a whole week viewing videos on food, health, fasting, obesity, diabetes. Haven’t even had the tv on. I am retired, just had a shoulder injury.

What are your motivations?? My main one is i want to enJOY the rest of my life. If i go on a trip i want to be able to walk around and see the sites. I want to look nice in clothes. I don’t want to be too fat to be shy to start a conversation because i feel others are just seeing my fat.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

thank you for passing the message across. ๐Ÿ™‚

Fortunately my auntie told me that sugar was poison when I was 13 and I took it literally and have never used sugar i.e. in tea etc or sought out sweet food, I don’t even like chocolate unless is it 85% and really bitter. But I can sympathise cos I love dry white wine. :):)

• posted by shalimar
    on

sunshine girl …… researching sugar is goldarn near terrifying!!

p.s. no yeast infections since i quit sugar (occasional binge didn’t matter once i swore off carbs and sugar),

• posted by shalimar
    on

MOTIVATION …. you can use the Search at the top right of the website.

BUT you really have to find your own …. someone else’s might not fit you.

What do you want?
    What do you want to look like?
    What would a healthy life and feeling great look like to you?

Put a picture on the fridge of yourself when you were loving yourself and happy.

• posted by Cara54
    on

Hi Shalimar

Thanks very much for this information. It’s fascinating and very informative. It’ll take time to get through it all but I will get there.xx

• posted by Addee
    on

Thank you so much for all the info.
    I will work through it all and watch the videos. Seem some already and fascinating.

Got great news today, got the approval today from doctor to return to work Monday, although working at home for couple of weeks but a start back into a routine.
    Decided Monday back at work so same time start the healthy eating and cutting down sugar.
    Problem I’ve always had is willpower no matter what info I know. Once I slip and eat something I shouldn’t hard to get back onto the right track.
    I will get there as been there before and really enjoyed the difference it made.
    I suffered from depression and couple of years ago which was when I was at my worst. If I can get myself through that I can get myself through this.

Really makes me angry how many foods made today have sugar in them at crazy levels.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Good luck with your return to work Addee and your sugar addiction.

I am actually still on medication for depression but nothing heavy duty. One of my problems is i hate to ask for help so i had a couple of years which totally went down the tank.

Boredom … been there and now that i am retired it’s worse … because it is tough finding new interests to fill the 10 hours or more that work took up, and i did like my job a lot. Then for the last 4 weeks i’ve had a sinus infection, a cold, and then i fell and hurt my shoulder … basically stuck sitting around the house.

We have a sugar addiction … our drug of choice lets say (cause i can take or leave alcohol) because we have unmet needs and same as everyone else we fill that with something that brings us temporary enjoyment.

I know what some of mine are and i know that when i get upset, angry, feel bad because i inadvertantly hurt someone, some one is mad at me and i feel like i am a bad person … i eat emotionally. So i am working on that with mindfulness stuff (I take the free online Palouse Mindfulness based stress reduction course … and it’s turned me onto other helpful videos). It is helping but if you don’t know the deep whys how can you fix them appropriately.

One thing i’ve learned is to stop blaming ourselves for our coping mechanisms … we are doing the best we can with what we know. But we can try and know more. And stop blaming ourselves at all … sure we make mistakes but who on earth doesn’t.

p.s. I look at sugar now and imagine a big rat on a red box with the word poison on it. Or cancer cells being starved of their favorite food sugar. Or my brain cells having a party when i fee them healthy natural fats instead of sugar which is their kryptonite.

Hey …. every little strategy helps. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ Some of the online videos are quite humorous. Some are scientific and boring … i just feel like saying OK i will take your word for it.

Lots of love, HUGS ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.