Struggling Newbie

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kate1964
    on

Hello everyone,
    I’ve always been a healthy weight (presently 1m64, 55 kgs – BMI 20.4), and my blood sugars have always been (and still are) within normal limits.
    So why am I on a LBS diet? (I’m asking myself the same thing right now!)
    Background is ……I was working in a vey stressful job that was also physically very hard work as well. My health really suffered – I had permanent cold sores, and whereas I am never ill, I went down with one little bug after another. However, I enjoyed my job and wanted to stay there, so I went to see a nutritionist to see what my diet was lacking that I couldn’t shake off these physical issues. (BTW, I did check her qualifications, she is fully qualified and UK accredited).
    She explained that the Adrenal system and the Immune system use the same nutrients, but that the Adrenal system always takes first go, which is why when we are under stress, our Immune system lets us down. She hs given me a shed-load of supplements and has suggested a Low Blood Sugar diet, which I am following to the letter (started 2 1/2 weeks ago). I think the idea is to give my Adrenal system a rest, including not giving it the type of carbs that need an insulin response.
    I’ve also quit my stressful job and I’m working in a much less stressful environment.
    Trouble is ….. I am so hungry! And I’m losing weight. I’ve always been slim, but people are starting to comment.
    Does anyone have any ideas what I can eat to keep me focussed?
    Thanks in advance,
    Kate.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi Kate, welcome!

While yours are not exactly the same problems as many of us have the response to stress is one we all share. For me my way of dealing with it was to eat too much of the wrong food and gain weight, your body seems to go down the constant niggling illness route. Both ways make us miserable!

I’ve been eating this way for eighteen months and. Yes I lost a lot of weight (now in the healthy weight range) but even more astonishing to me has been the physical well-being- sleeping so well, lots of energy, mental calmness. As you don’t need to lose weight why don’t you try sticking to the principles: cut out refined carbs that will spike your insulin levels and include the delicious healthy fats, eat whole foods and good quality protein but not try to stay with 800cal a day. In fact maybe not limit the calories at all. The Mediterranean diet has so many health benefits, you don’t need to lose weight following it. I wish you very well, I’ll be interested to know how you get on.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Kate First of all, welcome. It seems to me that you should first go back to your qualified dietician and ask him or her to review their advice in the light of your experience so far. It is perfectly possible to follow a low blood sugar/low carb diet without losing weight – as maintainers here are aiming to do. It sounds as if you should quiz your dietician on overall calorie goals, and maybe up consumption of healthy fats and lean protein to stop the weight loss. But the best person to advise is the dietician you have chosen and, if necessary, your doctor if you continue to lose weight and do not wish to! I wish you lots of success in your new healthier lifestyle choices.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I tend to agree with Mariet – don’t restrict your calories, just cut out the refined carbs. Instead eat cheese, nuts, cream, oily fish, seeds, non processed meat, berries, non starchy vegetables… These are all nutritious foods which should improve your health.

• posted by Kate1964
    on

Hi Mariet and Squidge!

Thank you for your welcome and your kind replies 🙂
    The reason I saw the nutritionist was because I considered I did eat well – lots of fish, veg and salad. I love avocados, oily fish, sweet potatoes, nuts…
    My food “rules”were No Sugar, No Junk, No Alcohol – I very rarely ate rice/pasta etc and I made my own AMAZING! organic wholegrain or rye bread (which I miss so much….).
    I don’t do the 800 cals, just green leafy veg instead of carbs. I’m allowed a small slice of rye toast when I go to the gym (I like weight training) otherwise I don’t have the energy to lift anything!
    I’m always tired (sleepy kind of tired) even though I get a good 7 1/2 to 8 hours sleep a night.
    I’m just tired of feeling tired and hungry all the time. :'( And feeling sorry for myself!

Kate

• posted by Squidge
    on

Have you seen your doctor about the tiredness and had tests to rule out things such as anaemia? If not, it might be worthwhile doing that.

• posted by Kate1964
    on

Hi Squidge,
    Yes, I have, because I thought my symptoms might be the menopause (foggy head, poor concentration etc), and he did a full bloods MOT. Thyroid was on the low end, but still within normal limits. It showed that I’m perimenopausal but everything else is ok.
    I had a hysterectomy 20 years ago, so no clues with regards to menopause 😊.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Kate! Reading your circumstances . . . and sensing there is such a dramatic change in SO MANY things for you – all at once – the body is (perhaps) adjusting to different circumstances . . . like less stress . . . and different “fuel” . . .so maybe just a little confused as to what exactly is expected. Maybe because of your gym work you burn more calories . . . because many of us here may not be working out to the degree it sounds like you are. (I know Im not at 74 with plantar fasciitis Im just glad to be able to walk around a shopping centre or go to grandchildrens concerts and sports days!!!) Agree with the others . . . there may need to be some more concentrated blood tests to determine of there is anything not uncovered previously. Having eliminated added sugars from my “diet” many years ago, no “soft” drinks to speak of, nor alcohol, biscuits only if someone dropped in for a cuppa and then they were probably stale! . . . My oatmeal or weetbix, home made winter soups, crispbreads or vitaweets for a light cheese and tomato/avocado lunch, and the odd crumpet with vegemite as a supper in front of the TV were just poison to me. Ditching those was quite easy, the other HIDDEN CARBS were the challenge I couldnt resist taking on in earnest! I became like Sherlock Holmes. Reading labels and ignoring the fat and sugar contents like I had always thought was RIGHT . . . and instead searched for the carb!!! SO MANY SURPRISES. Im sleeping way better . . . have a better head space – maybe 10% left of aches and pains I thought were appropriate and expected for my age – NOT SO! and the odd nanna nap in front of the TV was also reasonable. Well how wrong I was on those scores! In 5 week Ive discarded 11kgs . . . and not expecting you to have had that need – think a return visit might be in order – taking along a log of what you have been eating might help elimination of reasons for your symptoms! 🙂 Know there are some very helpful people here who have had all manner and means of good and bad days/experiences . . . and equally unexpected ones. All the best 🙂 And please stay in touch 🙂

• posted by Kate1964
    on

Hi WoodDuckie (loving the name!)

Thank you for your reply. Your previous eating pattern is a bit like my pre-LBS diet – lots of good home-made stuff and oatmeal (which I’ve been told I can have???). How did you know that these things weren’t right for you? (Porridge doesn’t keep me full though, so I only tend to have it when I’m not working, and I can eat when I’m hungry.)

My previous day’s eating on a working day would go something like this….
    Breakfast 2 slices home-made seeded rye bread with 2 poached eggs. Marmite on the 2nd slice.
    Lunch Home made Vegan curry (cauliflower, onions, potato, pepper, chickpeas, broccoli)
    Dinner pork chop, medium jacket potato with butter, caulifower cheese., green beans, asparagus.
    Snacks, apple and/or orange

What upsets me is that my breakfast would keep me going all day – I would have breakfast at 7 and not eat again till 3 (I worked in catering), so I would feel like I had enough energy to keep my body and brain working, and I didn;t feel hungry. Now my usual breakfast of kale, spinach and 2 eggs will last me 3 hours if I’m lucky, and my new job is still active, but not as active as my last one. My nutritionist told me I was eating too much bread though, so I am only allowed 1 small slice if I’ going to do a workout. I feel deprived that my good old go-to keep-me-fuelled-forever is now out of bounds.

I’ve done a Thriva thyroid and cortisol test, so I’ll see what they say…..

Sigh ……

Thanks for your support….. I’ll keep on with the diet for a few more weeks……

Kate xx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Kate! When I did my finger-pricking I had spikes – BAD ones 2 hours after eating. I was keeping my log of food . . . and noted the spikes on the sheet occurred after . . . 1) my homemade soups . . . 2) Ryvita Crispbreads or vitaweets . . .3) Porridge . . . . 4) Crumpet with vegemite . . . . and one day a morning tea with a friend of 5) . . . . . scones jam and cream. When a friend of my sons told him to tell me to cut my carbs . . . and me finding the book in a charity shoip the nest day!!!!! the very next day!!! there were two significant clues . . . I looked at the 5 things above. Four of them were no fat no sugar and recommended – or at least been OK’d by a dietician! – on diabetes eating plan!!!!! Number 5 was an odd one out because of the jam! BUT they all had HIGH CARB!!!!! Low GI or not . . . it was 50% at least carb which I wasnt having every day BUT . . . it was a HUGE hit to have when I had them. After the scones I had a reading of 20.5!!! The soups were around the 15 mark. The crumpet did a whopping 15 as well and the Ryvita . . .16.9!!!!!!! I used to have an 85% less carb bread with 2.5grms of carb per slice. So that wasnt a problem. I dropped all four (the morning tea was just a one off, and a hint I was on the right track!) I have since found other little things in my pantry which added to the – carb count unwittingly. They have ALL GONE!!! Donated!!! I changed peanut butter brand. The one I had had molasses and corn syrup hidng in it. The one I now have is 100% peanuts. So by feeding myself GOOD fats, like avocado, feta, greek yoghurt (which I once couldnt stand but now like!!!) – I settle the munchies quick smart. Body knows it isnt getting anything else. And fat takes way lponger to burn than sugar so it is a heavier fuel. Body doesnt like working hard . . . to burn fat, but will if an easy simple carb isnt available. Its more the complex carbs which were doing my BSL’s the damage. Now I choose from egg bacon cheese tomato mushroom etc combo in the morning . . . stirfrys of prawns, pork, beef, turkey, lamb whatever is available . . . or left over from roasting . . . maybe a pork steak with cracked lemon pepper, or atlantic salmon steak . . . salad . . . (baby spinach, beetroot and feta is divine!!! add shallots of you want!) – and if I get the munchies I have Greek yoghurt, avocado or peanut butter. Body soon learned that this was now the fuel. I needed something crunchy last week and a lady gave me a recipe for some crackers . . . no flpur . . . but I still had a slice of my 85% LESS carb bread in the fridge . . . and I toasted and toasted it again and used that. Didnt see any spike so I KNOW I have that as backstop. But pls dont forget Im a 70+ yo nanna with plantar fasciitis and dont burn off nor need the amount of energy you do to work etc. But the immediate things I saw jump out at me with what you offered as your day’s tucker . . . were . . . your potatoes, bread (even if it is home-made) – maybe the chickpeas . . .? not sure there . . . and the apple. Try scrambling the eggs with cheese, shallots, parsley, bacon and/or tomato . . . putting them into a large mushroom . . . grilling . . . or haloumi cheese on top of the mushrooms with tomato and onion (like a bruschetta) – grilling a piece of meat and dicing it with a takeaway box of stirfry veges . . . can be eaten like a salad anyways – and take that for lunch. Blue – straw – and rasp – berries are good . . . and I believe the orange or mandarin are too. Rule of thum Im told is no tropical fruits and that includes bananas which use to be approved but . . . seems the carb there is deadly as well 🙂 Let me know of any of this helps. Im no expert believe me but Im teaching myself as I go along – with loads of help from everyone here.

• posted by Kate1964
    on

Hi WoodDuckie,

Do you know, I was toying with the idea of getting a blood sugar testing kit! I even went as far as pricing them up. Do you have any recommendations as to what to look for in a machine?
    How long after your meal do you do the test? Do you have to do a before and after test?
    I’ve been told no tropical fruits as well- that’s not a great issue – I only ate pineapple as an occasional treat and I’m allergic to bananas.
    I happier to swap my potatoes for sweet ones (I prefer them anyway).
    How long did it take you to feel better after starting the diet? I’ve had a holiday, changed jobs and changed my diet, and I still don’t feel brighter!

Kate

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Kate and welcome. WoodDuckie has covered pretty much everything I would have said. It is hard to get our head around healthy fat being okay to eat after years of the “low fat” mantra we’ve had drummed into us. Healthy fat will help you stay feeling fuller for longer. Instead of the bread, you could perhaps have a go at making some almond crackers or seed crackers. Both recipes are on the Good Eats thread. With those, you can enjoy some delicious cheeses/smoke salmon etc. I think the key is keeping your carbs to around 50g/day and see how you feel after a week. Have you got the app Fatsecret or MyFitnessPal – both of which are really useful for working out carb grams. As WDuckie said, you’d be amazed where those pesky refined carbs can lurk! Let us know how you get on?
    WoodDuckie – would you mind sharing your method for making successful stir fry veggies? How do you manage to get the authentic taste? I’d love to be able to do this for work lunch but whenever I try, they end up tasteless and limp! Thanks in advance!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Pancita
    on

Hi Kate
    I am also a Kate
    I just wanted to warn against sweet potatoes which are also very higher in carbs, higher than potatoes if I remember correctly. And I think your diet may be a lacking in fat, as Woodduckie suggested. Add in some cheese, butter, cream, oil. I make omelettes for breakfast, with cream and often cheese, fried in butter, the fat keeps you feeling fuller for longer.
    I hope your nutritionist can help you further.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Well no need to get a machine if you dont have an BS issue but I think they are around 40$. Supposed to be 2 hours after a meal but I dont need the stress . .. I just do it on waking before lunch and dinner and before bed. I figure if they are down then the ups dont matter – cos they couldnt have been too high anyways!!!!! Sweet potatoes are just as bad as whites so ditch them too. How long till I felt better . . .? Well a big change in maybe 2-3 days max. and way better by two week for sure. 5 gone now and feeling amazing. Only ate twice today and not even hungry now. Just as well because it would wreck my o/n fasting Im now doing 🙂 The fact you no longer have the stress of the job could have played a huge role here . . . your body had relaxed a lot and just getting used to that when you have changed fuel. Might be like asking a car to go from unleaded to super – cos the food recommended here is super. And way more GOOD fats than I ever ate before. As Im unsure when you started the programme . . . I think the issue lies in too many changes at once – and perhaps another visit to doc might be more enlightening. But I would like you to come back and tell us – share with us if you will please 🙂 BTW . .. my “handle” – ( I added the – ie for fun) – is the English translation of the aboriginal name given to the semi-rural village where I live.

• posted by Pancita
    on

Oops, meant to add, watch oranges and citrus too. In the recipe book and original book they are included in some recipes, but they’re high sugar, so go easy.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Kate! You can by all means have a go at what I do and I hope t satisfies a little more 🙂 Im a lazy toss everything in and hope for the best cook . . . so here goes. I buy the bag of stirfry veges. (I shop at Aldis so unsure if they are the same a where you buy1) – I buy a bag of snow peas . . . shallots, leek, and regular onions . . , usually purple for the colour 🙂 And a bag of baby spinach. I always have crushed ginger, crushed garlic and chilli – (in jars, not the powdered ones!) – in the fridge. I have cold meat and I dice it 1-2cms square makes it go further and seem like more. After I by the veges I divide them into portions in takeaway food containers. I divide the bag of stirfry, then top and tail the snowpeas, dividing them equally as well. I usually do the shallots onions leek whatever you choose – right before cooking. I ut butter in the frying pan with any of the three – or all three of the garlic ginger and chilli – (depends on your taste ) – add the onions shallots/leek and a little water . . . JUST A LITTLE cos I like a kinda sauce. Cold meat or fresh goes in next . . . and heat it through if cold or cook it fresh! Then add the stirfry box – with Asian 5 mix spice grinder over the top. Stir for a minute or so only . . . then add a generous helping of the baby spinach. JUST STIR IT THOUGH ONLY . . . and it should be ready. Tweek this to suit you and do hope it works to your taste 🙂

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Thanks so much, Duckie! I shall give that a try!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Please let me know how it goes! Undercook rather than leave it in the frying pan until it looks like its ready because the veges are shredded and small they dont really need cooking just a quick heating – and the heat keeps them cooking while your serving them! Otherwise they will be wilted and sad 🙁 Also I dont put a lid on my frying pan – because by /containing/retaining the heat, the steam cooks the veges too quickly.

• posted by Kate1964
    on

Hi Caroni,

So sorry, I missed your post!
    I think what’s confusing me is that I was originally told to go as carb-free as possible, and then when I fed (ha ha!) back to her that I was ravenously hungry on a breakfast of eggs, spring greens and spinach, she said that I could add certain carbs (quinoa, buckwheat, sweet potato for example) and I think I’m now over-thinking it.
    My main issue is breakfast, as we eat our evening meal quite early, I don’t snack in the evenings, so I tend to wake up quite hungry, and then it’s a long time till lunch.. Getting the amounts and the right foods is going to be more of a learning curve I think.

Kate.

• posted by Kate1964
    on

Hello Pancita (or twin!),

I work in a cheese shop, and I am a cheese-aholic! 🙂 , and I am actively encouraged to taste the cheese every day (how else can I be sure it’s still good!) 😀
    I’m not a low-fat person, luckily, I love my olive oil, cheese (obvs), fish, avocados and any dairy fat but I was also advised to eat lots of green leafy veg with all my meals.

I think the problem is that I’m meant to be doing this for a reason I don’t especially believe in.
    If I were wanting to lose weight, or if I were diabetic or pre-diabetic, I would suck it up and just get on with it, but I’m doing this for Adrenal Fatigue, which isn’t a recognised medical condition, and the only reason I’m sticking it out is because I’ve paid my nutritionist for her advice and I’m giving her the benefit of the doubt.
    Getting pretty fed up with the deprivation and not seeing any positive changes though.

Good night everyone,

Kate.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi! Not sure where you are along the way but we are all different – while we all came to the one point of discovering Dr M, we arrived with differing problems and reasons. What worked for me in the early days was NO COUNTING . . . NO STRESSING . . . just doing. Doing what was within the boundaries just to start getting use to things. Then started listening to my body not my brain 🙂 Making sure I had “things” available when the munchies came along . . . cashews, avocado, hardboiled egg, cheese . . . they were my “likes” and I gave them to myself rather than something I didnt like – which wouldnt have been enjoyed. If you are really hungry at breakfast time and need food in a hurry!!!!! how about considering making mini quiches . . . have them in the fridge for a quick microwave, slice an advocado on the side – and boil the kettle? I was given a recipe where minced beef seasoned, then used as lining in muffin tins . . . a mix to taste – (bacon, shallots, cheese whatever) where added to whipped eggs – gently poured into the “mince pastry casings” and baked. They looked delicious and in fact I bought a muffin tin yesterday to give them a try 🙂 They will be something REALLY different! and can double up for breakfast lunch or dinner 🙂 Hang in there! It gets GREAT after some adjustments. And give ourselves credit for changing something – which in my case has been for almost 74 years!!!!! (no added sugar, porridge, very few potatoes, pumpkin, noodles or rice . . . home cooked everything . . . no fast foods, cakes, biscuits few if any sweets . . .sigh . . . and now seeing what Ive been MISSING OUT ON!!! ) – and everyone said I had a VERY healthy way of living!!! Well 5 weeks in to BSD and my new way of life . . . AT LEAST 11kgs have gone and BSL’s are currently down 2/3’s . . . clearly the before wasnt!!! 🙂

• posted by Kate1964
    on

I am a huge fan of Dr M too and the Van Tulleken (sp?) twins too, and I will always watch and read their articles and programmes avidly.
    I envy you your enthusiasm WoodDuckie, I wish I could see the same changes as you and feel the benefit.
    I started the LBS WOE threee weeks ago today, and I’m feeling worse as the days go on – I have so little energy, feel tired all the time and a bit spaced out.
    Hubby and I went for a 3 mile walk to the coast yesterday (such a gorgeous day!) and to collect the car which had been in having a service, and I could not have walked back. I sat on a bench in the sunshine by the sea and seriously did not have the energy to walk the 3 miles back home again. It’s just not me!
    Yesterday for breakfast I ate mixed berries with Quark, mixed seeds and double cream on top and a 250g pot of FF cottage cheese.
    Then I had mushroom soup with a fillet of smoked mackerel for lunch.
    Then more fish in the evening – smoked salmon and trout, prawns with spicy mayo and a huge salad with an olive oil dressing for dinner.
    I have made another appointment to see the Dr, as this cannot go on.

Sorry to be such a downer, but I’m just not feeling it.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi back! I do hope there is some spark in your well-being soon 🙂 I dont walk – (mainly due to plantar fasciitis) – so Im not chewing energy like you hun . . . but I think you are sensible going back to the doctor 🙂 Food sounds ok but maybe a juicy steak or some roast pork might add some heavier protein. (I dont know Im not a dietician nor a doc 🙂 Im a Wood-Duck! 🙂 )
    And maybe ask for (not ask their opinion of) – a referral to an endocrinologist . . . maybe there a few things which need tweaking . . . Please stay in touch with us cos we do care 🙂

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Kate – I absolutely agree with WoodDuckie that it will be very sensible to go back to the doctor and ask for a referral to a specialist. Hope to hear that you have some answers to what is going on very soon.

• posted by Fernie
    on

Thanks for posting Kate, its really interesting hearing about the adrenal system linked with immune system. I quit an incredibly stressful job in 2016, had a nervous breakdown and ended up in psych hospital for a week. I had to re-evaluate life, and have now ditched stressful jobs for the sake of my sanity.

Its only since starting this way of eating that I have realised how diet affects the mind. I’ve felt much more stable, clear minded since starting, and have come off my head meds. My immune system was battered and also affected by my unhealthy relationship with food. I had spots that wouldn’t heal for months, constant colds, headaches, ear infections, asthma was bad. I know it is summer and summer is good for health but it will be interesting going into winter to see how I fair with bugs etc.

The hunger does get easier as you go, we are programmed to fear hunger and in modern society hunger is on the hole banished, so we are not used to being hungry, but as mentioned above, if you are not doing the diet for weight loss then there is no need for calorie deficit, so stick to the 5:2 Mediterranean principles.

• posted by Kate1964
    on

Goodness Fernie! You’ve really been through the mill!
    I’m glad you’re feeling better.
    I’m having to experiment with food quantities, because I don’t like being hungry, and I tend to drop things when I’m short of food.
    Can you explain what the 5:2 Mediterranean Diet is please?
    Thanks
    Kate

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi Kate1964, Welcome.
    I’m still a newbie but I’ve had a lot of stress for many years which resulted in illnesses every winter for 8 yrs!
    Stress takes a lot out of your body and takes a LONG time to fully recover.
    Tiredness might be that your body needs extra sleep to ‘recover’, than not eating enough, but I’d not be looking to lose weight if you really don’t need to. The books state for maintenance, just add more veg etc. But if you like flatbreads and rye breads then they are all listed with recipies, to help in keeping with the ‘right’ foods & keep your weight on! 🙂
    I’d buy the books so that you can fully appreciate the many small nuggets of info.
    The 5:2 Diet where one only restricts intake for 2 days a week, might be an easier reference too. Since you don’t need to lose weight just tweak what you are eating to ‘even better quality & variety’. So look at the more involved recipies and add in the nuts/seeds/herbs etc to help your body replenish itself over time. 😀

• posted by Kate1964
    on

Thanks AuroraMagic,

I’m still sticking with it for the foreseeable future, and trying to be kind to my body and doing what it asks of me.
    I just find all the food rules quite confusing….. some books say rye bread is ok, others that it isn’t…..
    I’m sticking with not having any non-green carbs at all (apart from when I do a workout because my muscles turn to jelly if I don’t give them any decent fuel!).
    The weight loss is an issue though, I wear a UK size 6, and my shorts are now loose around my tummy and hips.
    I’ve got a Dr’s appointment booked in 10 days time, so I’ll see what she says.

Kate

Please log in or register to post a reply.