'Strictly' our last 4 in 2016 … Nov 22nd … let's go out on a high!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Chuffed I managed today.
    Baby steps…

Day 8 completed ✅

Thanks to all you. You are all inspirational.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’m doing better today, I did the grocery shopping and bought a few things to put away for Christmas then went and looked at the chip (crisp) aisle. There was a little sign saying due to unfavourable weather conditions there was a bit of a potato shortage so there might be some empty chip shelves. Panic! Salty crunch is my true weakness. What if there was none left for Christmas (I’m hosting twenty people for two days so we do need a variety of snacks, that is my excuse)? But then I realised that if I bought them now, there likely wouldn’t be any left by Christmas anyway! They would all be attached to my re-expanded waistline! I’m not ready for that level of temptation. I’ll take the chance of not buying now, I’m sure there will be some a few days before Christmas.

• posted by GingerbreadMama
    on

Running back to climb on board the sleigh again! So I had 3 evenings off piste – I felt soooo hungry (unusual on BSD) and gave in to oat cakes and others. Not too awful, still c.1500 calories total but up to 100 carbs. But got back on track yesterday. I’ve got the sprout slaw on the menu for the weekend, and really looking forward to that!

Natalie- I love a salty crunch too, and have enjoyed it in fried Parma ham (no oil, just hot pan), and am keen to try pork crackling (not something I’ve had before, and quite calorific, so waiting until Christmas when we will be with family who can eat it up if needed!)

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 4 …. WEEK 3

Hi everyone

So in the last half of week 3 … where does the time go???

I’m managing to ‘stand still’ at the moment which is great as I’m away. I just can’t believe how life without bread, rice etc has now become the norm for me. I don’t look for substitutes now either. That makes me feel as though I’ve cracked this new way of eating. My only carb indulgence are some Nairns thin oat cakes with cheese, only three, 4 if I’m desperate, but otherwise I’m plodding alone nicely. Even my OH now says, about bread etc, ‘Oh, you don’t eat that!’ The other night when faced with a fabulous bread basket with my favourite cream cheese and jam , he asked what I was going to do now! Easy I did try a bite size piece of crostini but hey it wasn’t for me anymore!!

Sorry about all this bread talk!!

Glad to see almost everyone aboard again even if some of us are only clinging on by a few nails! Our day will come!

Have a good day!

• posted by Peapod
    on

Slipped off the sleigh big time after a week away from home and some birthday celebrating. Ready to jump back on and get going again. Despite being ‘naughty’ and gaining 2 pounds I am keen to get back to the BSD way of eating and don’t want to undo all the good work so far. My tastes have changed and the sugary stuff just doesn’t appeal as much. Have also noticed return of fuzzy vision and itchy skin, sugar is not worth it. With a stone off I found tackling the London tube and a heavy suitcase much easier than last time.
    Not long now until the big day, keep going folks !

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Daisiesmum
    That was such a brilliant way to cope with eating when there is no BSD food around. I love coffee with cream and always have it as a desert when everyone else is tucking into the sugary stuff. Plus the square of dark chocolate I take with me in my handbag (Tesco have Lindt 85% and 90% chocolate at 2 for £3 at the moment).

Verano is so right – the only way to fail on this is to fail to continue. You are doing so well.

Nedds mum – I also find that it is the carbs that really matter. I do love your one meal at a time strategy.

Sunshine-girl
    I was really interested in the NZ research and was trying it out by doing between 10 and 20 minute walks after meals to see whether the after meal spikes are lower – which they do seem to be. I am hoping by keeping blood sugars low all the time that more of my beta cells will regenerate.

It is so interesting that some researchers (not the ones funded by the pharmaceutical companies) are looking at drug free ways of managing diabetes. Won’t it be great when people newly diagnosed with diabetes are advised to eat the BSD way and do a 10 minute walk after eating and all will be well.

It was wonderful to read that Natalie’s daughter was told that fat was good and sugar is bad. That is a huge turnaround.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Went to a client’s Christmas do last night. I had a beef carpaccio for the starter, a “specially ordered” fish in pancetta with a pile of sea veg and a coffee and cream thing with 90% chocolate spirals on the top for dessert. Also drank sparkling water and apart from some barbed comments about why my main was nicer than theirs, no-one even noticed what I was eating and all fairly BSD compliant.

NSV win for me.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi everyone,just been catching up on all the news and info on this thread,triumphs,ups and downs…too much to comment on,but what a wonderfully supportive and useful thread you started VERANO..a great band of us here on the sleigh ride….will just comment on the last post..Yes great news if the fat is good, sugar is bad message is getting thru. I read a great book in 2010 called Slim for Life by Jason Vale…he touches on all such points,was a revelation to me when i read it …he says its the combination of sugar and fat together that does the harm. Not that he means sugar alone is a good thing,he writes at length about the evils of ‘ pure,white and deadly’ sugar. Also about the cynicaland greedy diet industry. Well worth a read folks if you get a chance x
    Having said that tho,someone give the reindeers a few sugar lumps! X
    Keep on keeping on as our role model CAPTAINLYNNE so rightly said!

• posted by Busybee
    on

I am pleased to report that I have kept a tight hold on my carbs during my birthday week, and although I have eaten more calories and enjoyed a glass or two, I have lost another pound or so. I have loved eating my chosen food and no one has noticed the lack of the “white stuff”. So different to last year (and the many years before) when 7th December was the date to start eating all the things considered to be treats and so by 25th, I had already gained (yet another) 7 lbs.
    Thank you all for your fun and inspiration to keep on keeping on!
    X B

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

It is great to read that we are all doing so well keeping off the “white stuff”.

Yowzer – interesting point from Jason Vale’s book. Sugar is very harmful but the sugar and fat combo is ultra harmful. I read recently that high fat does not cause heart problems etc. and is beneficial to health but if you add high fat to sugar and/or starchy carbs it makes the sugar/starch even worse for you health (you wouldn’t believe that could be possible – would you). If you walk around the food shops at the moment they are stacked to the rafters with high fat/high sugar/high starchy carb baddies. In fact most of the so called ‘treats’ are high fat/high sugar/high carb.

I must confess that this healthy way of eating (since May) is now hard wired into my brain and my only thoughts when I walk past the the bad stuff are thoughts of absolute horror that in the past I tucked into it all this stuff with gusto and had absolutely no inkling of all the damage it was doing. Actually that last comment is untrue – I did know it was bad (although I hadn’t realised just how bad it was for my health) but hey – everyone else was doing it so it couldn’t be that harmful, could it?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, hope you are all doing well. Krysia, I tried the 10 min walk after lunch (was in fact 15) and took my BG after and it was 80 (4.4) 20 mins after eating, which is lower than it was this morning after fasting all night (90 or 5.0). Maybe I should have checked before I went for the walk but I forgot. Since reducing insulin to 23 my BG have settled at a lower level again so may have to reduce again after the weekend. Looking at the research it is a bit of a catch, it says walking 10 mins every day after a carb laden meal reduced BG better than one 30 min walk. One 30 min walk = 30 mins, 7 10 min walks = 70 mins, so should be better. Not had carb laden meal for 5 months so cannot test that bit out.

I read the Jason Vale book Kick The Drink… Easily, and I did. Although no where near an alcoholic I was tending to drink almost daily with a couple of days break but the breaks were getting harder and harder. It is easy to over drink here as wine is so cheap, I can buy a good bottle of wine for around €3 (£2.70) and our local wine co-operative sells good boxes of 5 litres for €11.90 (£10). So I decided to stop completely and following the book really worked. I stopped for a total of 17 months then had a few glasses of wine on a cruise. I still drink but it is more like 1 or 2 evenings a week and if I dont have anything (like in the first 8 weeks of BSD) it is not something I miss. Stopping for a while sorted my head out. So any book by Jason will be well thought out and carefully researched.

Keep up the good work everyone, and our thanks to Verano for keeping us on track with the short bursts of trials.

on

Just going back to a previous comment where I told you my doctor said I could probably eat the biscotti (not the Italian sweet biscuit) and twice toasted bread thing that the French eat. I had a look on the nutrition label yesterday in the supermarket and it is 66% carbs, of which 40% are sugars. So much for my doctors knowledge, shows how they can lead people on the wrong path because of their own lack of knowledge, I put him right though.

Krysia, should have said, I will be doing the 10 min walk every day from now on. It is so easy to fit in.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl
    Your doctor recomending the biscotti is much worse than I thought it was when you first posted his comments. 40% of 66g of carbs are sugar – wow! I am glad you have put him right.

It is quite exciting that we now have another tool to keep our blood sugars down. Your blood sugars were amazing after your after lunch walk. So with our low carb lifestyle, and walks after we have eaten, our next hb1ac’s will be awesome.

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Hello all 🙂

Natalie – well done resisting the crisps!!

Gingerbread mama and peapod- good for both you, jumping back on the sleigh.
    GMama – I too have the sprout slaw to look forward to this weekend. Enjoy!

Verano – I also enjoy naïrns oatcakes. Had 2 the other day. It was that or a huge bowl of Frosties. Think I made the right choice.
    As Yowzer said – Thanks for helping to keep us on the right track. Such a supportive and useful thread thanks to you.

Krysia – thanks for your supportive comments. I have noted the Lindt special offer!

Jules maigret- well done for making the Xmas do work for you. I have 2 next week. Need to think about how I’ll make them work for me.

Busybee – well done on your loss. Great stuff.

Sunshine girl – thanks for your encouragement. Inspired, I’m just about to go for a walk.

It’s a one meal at a time day for me today.
    9 days in and Still wanting to indulge in high carb/sugar food.
    Last night I dreamt of the Frosties breakfast cereal.

I’m on the right track so far today but have the grocery shop soon after I’ve had a walk.

Hoping to check in later with a tick for a successfully completed day 9.

Keep going everyone and well done.

• posted by NickyH43
    on

Hi All,
    Still feeling a bit down without Bailey but have somehow managed to stay on track.
    On Tuesday all I wanted to eat was the contents of the office biscuit tin BUT I didn’t. I managed to stay completely on track, something never usually heard of before BSD.
    I avoided a slip up last night too. I made the crustless quiche for dinner from the recipe book to have with salad and made pasta for my son after his football training. I popped some garlic bread with cheese in the oven for him and my husband who was having quiche and salad with me (not strictly following BSD but being very supportive) and there were 5 bits left, so I popped them all in. I somehow stupidly convinced myself that I had enough calories and carbs left in order to have a slice myself. I did have the carbs and the calories but for a moment had a lapse of judgement. I soon realised that it wasn’t the carbs and calories that mattered it was the effect on my blood sugar that really counted. Anyway, once out of the oven I’d talked myself back out of having it and didn’t. To be honest I didn’t really feel like I missed it either! So really quite pleased with myself!
    Haven’t weighed since Tuesday as I think I was getting a bit too obsessed with the scales so have decided not to until weigh in day on Tuesday.
    Thanks for all your support and messages. I have been reading posts but haven’t had a chance to respond.
    Weight loss wishes to all
    Nicky x

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

A HUGE well done Nicky in what has been a difficult week for you.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl

And then you have the challenge of deciding if the taste is worse than the texture or vice versa.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

JulesMaigret – is the biscotti that bad?

on

Jules and Krysia, I guess if you like stale toast then it is okay. Who am I to talk, I still have the occasional Ryvita. I am with Verano and going to allow myself some oatcake thins. On Christmas Day I am having French traditional foie gras on an oatcake. I take it back with me, it comes in a tin and the whole family love it, served with confit d’oniogn.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

NICKY youve been in my heart and thoughts and am sure in the thoughts and hearts of other sleigh riders too xx
    Well done on avoiding temptations at a time when it wd be so easy to seek comfort in all the wrong stuff!
    Well done..You’re being very strong! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 XXX 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽 XXX

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Krysia

They typically have the smell and taste of hamster bedding and the texture of low quality wall insulation. Typically the French smother them in butter and jam or compote, presumably to mask the taste. They’re a bit of a “false friend” they seem so basically bland and unpleasant to eat you assume they must be good for you, but as we see they’re effectively a carb fest.

If you like stale toast that you have let go cold, then retoasted to heat it and then let it go cold again, then they’re probably fine.

But like all things, they have their fans…..

• posted by Verano
    on

Good evening

Just have a few minutes to myself so have caught up with the posts.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Peapod and Busybee…. mine’s in 8 days. I think there are a few Sagittarians on here!

Glad you’ve jumped back on Peapod and well done Busybee for not jumping off!!!

Krysia could you possibly post the link to the NZ research again please.

JulesM well done ! Just reading your post made me think you had the ‘courage’ to order a ‘special’ BSD meal for yourself but if you needed gluten free you wouldn’t think twice about making a special order.

So, why do we all feel so ‘uncomfortable’ in social situations when we need ‘different’ food?? Diabetes is a disease just as coeliac is. We can’t eat carbs they can’t eat gluten … in my mind we should feel ‘comfortable ‘ asking for foods that won’t ‘poison’ us no matter where or when!!

I think that problem may be that we think of ourselves as ‘diabetics of our own making, overweight and under exercised people’ But you know , we have an illness just as legitimate as a coeliac or any other. So let’s just stand up and be counted!!!

Nicky hang in there! It does get better but food won’t help, in fact the wrong stuff will only make you feel worse. Be kind to yourself!

Thanks for your ‘thanks’ but in reality we all make these threads work and without you all I know I’d have well given up by now!

We just have keep on keeping on!!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Very Happy Birthday PEAPODand BUSYBEE ! Enjoy 🎈🎉🎈🎉🎈🎉🎈🎉🎈🎉🎈🎉 xxxxx

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Ive let myself down.
    Feel sad. 😞😞

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Nedds mum
    If you have gone off plan today I would just think of it as a 6.1 week (6 days on plan and one day off plan). You have not let yourself down at all.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

JulesMaigret – they sound absolutely disgusting. Perhaps we should make Sunshine-girl’s doctor eat them.

Verano – this hopefully is the link to the University of Otago’s research.

http://www.otago.ac.nz/diabetes/news/otago624442.html

Very well put. We can’t eat carbs – they can’t eat gluten. Our disease is just as legitimate as any other and just maybe we would not have diabetes now if the correct nutritional advice had been available to us in the past. Base your meals on starchy carbs is so wrong for all of us who are susceptible to diabetes. Then we have the food industry whose profits rely on us becoming addicted to their sugar laden products.

I am definitely getting much braver in social situations and at last I do feel comfortable about refusing to eat foods that damage my health.

on

Don’t know if I have already mentioned here but I am doing the FutureLearn course called The Diabetes Epidemic. I was so pleased to see in the first lesson that we should not be eating starchy carbs, and they mention pots, rice, pasta etc etc. Then they mentioned the research of guess who, yes, Prof Taylor. I am so pleased as I thought I might be wasting my time looking at this course but it is proving to be very interesting and enlightening. Still time for anyone to join.

• posted by Peapod
    on

Thanks for the birthday wishes Yowzer. Hope you have a great birthday too Busybee.
    Was full of good intentions tonight but after 2 glasses of Kir ending up eating pizza and cheesecake which friends were having and I was going to refuse. Can’t say I enjoyed it that much and wish I hadn’t strayed.
    Will put this behind me and be careful about making bad choices after a drink next time.

Nedds mum – try not to feel so sad if you have had a bad day. We are only human and all make mistakes, I certainly did tonight. Look at the bigger picture re health and weight loss and just start again. It is hard but there is a lot of support on the forum so just keep posting and reading .

• posted by Peapod
    on

Thanks to you too Verano. Hope you enjoy your birthday when it comes.
    You are so right about standing up and being counted. We need to be more courageous when asking for what we want and not just accepting what is on offer foodwise.

• posted by Lara
    on

Hello sleigh riders! This ride is catapulting us towards Christmas and I’m hanging on by my fingernails!

NickyH43 – I was so sorry to hear about Bailey. My family always had cats when I was growing up (at 1 point we had 5 at the same time 🙂 ) We were always devastated when one of them passed, so my heart goes out to you.

This has been a tough week 9 for me. After a good loss last week, the scales rebounded and I gained 0.9kgs in 2 days. That’s the biggest reverse whoosh I’ve experienced since the start and was very upsetting even when I know it’s just my body doing crazy things with hormones and water retention. It took the rest of the week to loose that weight again. My official weekly weigh-in is Sat mornings and I was relieved to be down 0.2kgs overall for the week. A small loss, but every bit counts. I was also really hungry the whole week. I managed to stay on plan, but had a few days where I went way over on calories. I’ve been trying to keep things in perspective – a few 1000 calorie days would have been a win just 9 weeks ago and on any other weight loss program! I’ve been wracking my brain on what’s different and I think I might have figured it out – the last 2 weeks I’ve been chewing a lot of sugar-free gum – it started with a piece here or there and then started to escalate. I’m thinking the fake sugar has set off the hunger and carb cravings so today have avoided it completely and I’m feeling a bit better. Not sure if it’s a coincidence, but I expect it isn’t. Need to be more vigilant!

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 5 …. WEEK 3

Hi everyone. Still standing still here so all is well.

Krysia thanks for the link. Interestingly they say that a 10minute walk helps after a meal with a ‘substantial amount of carbohydrates’. I wonder what is meant by substantial. My mobility is so compromised that a ‘walk’ of any length would be difficult so it’s even more important for me to be carb aware. Must admit I have been slipping there so I think it’s back to Fatsecret for me!!

Lara you’re still hanging on and that’s the important part. You’ve also worked out why you’re slipping and you can remedy that too! All good!

Sunshine-girl I’ve not got that far along the course yet …. being a bit relaxed about it but will finish before Monday. Must admit I’m finding the video-voice a little monotone! But otherwise very interesting. One thing I have discovered is that I was literally just over the line to be classified as diabetic. Theoretically I should be able to drop back into the ‘normal’ range quite quickly. In fact I think I already have!

Hope everybody else is doing well or hanging on.

Have a good day.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Thank you for my birthday wishes and keep hanging on when yours arrives Verano. Another birthday meal out last night and again I enjoyed my protein choices and a few glasses of fizz and wine. The Cake, when it arrived was a selection of mini cakes with a candle. I blew it out and pretended to eat a small macaroon – the rest I gave to my DH who manfully ate it on my behalf.!
    The finger tips are a little sore from hanging on but I am determined not to give in, and also am fearful that if I do have a taste of something, I will cave and all will be lost.
    X B

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – am not intending to to try it out after eating substantial carbs – but it does work very well after a low carb meal also. I am still more insulin resistant after breakfast than any other meal and even if I keep to ultra low carbs b.s. still doesn’t go down as fast after eating as it does after other meals. A 10 minute walk – or longer works really well.

I am finding also that to stay off the insulin I have to keep low carb and am hoping that by adding the walking after meals it will help the pancreas to continue to regenerate because it doesn’t have to produce very much insulin at all. So it is basically resting.

Must dash off to work – overslept.

• posted by immi60
    on

Good morning fellow sleigh-riders!

Sorry I’ve been even more absent than usual but it’s been a busy week work-wise and with a couple of domestic dramas, feeling a bit emotionally drained but still hanging on to the sleigh (by the pinkie of one hand, but still here lol!)

Happy birthday Peapod, Busybee and Verano!

Nicky – so sorry to hear about Bailey, our pets are part of the family aren’t they x

I’ve just had a quick read through the thread and I’m so impressed reading everyone’s posts and by the support offered. I’m not sure what’s more inspiring – reading about people’s successes or being able to identify when someone is struggling. Overall I guess it’s just knowing that we’re not alone in this journey.

I broke into a new stone yesterday then, in some sort of twisted logic, celebrated by eating a whole packet of cashews!?*! Back up to 15 stone this morning – doh!! But I’m determined to haul myself back on the sleigh – planning to drink lots of water today and get back on track, keep busy by writing Christmas cards (no, I haven’t even started yet!) and posting Christmas pressies to my son and his lovely family out in NZ. And as long a walk with the dog as my dodgy hip will allow.

Hope everyone has a lovely low-carb Saturday !

Immi x

• posted by Verano
    on

Krysia that makes so much sense. I guess we have to make our decisions individually because our bodies all work differently. I suppose the secret is finding out what works for you and you definitely seem to have done that.

Immi, hello again! Believe it or not nearly all the original travellers on this sleigh are still aboard or clinging on!!! We’ve got a few later starters who are also with us now. Well done on losing anything especially when you’re emotionally challenged. Good walk, well good as you can manage, know where you’re at, will be sure to do you good. Nothing better than a dose of fresh air.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Lara, sorry to butt in, old timer here and 33kgs lighter than when I started at 89.9kg!

I read all your posts to help keep me on track, but now that I am at my goal weight I don’t post much unless I think I can help.

I’ve been doing a bit of research lately regarding the effects of artificial sugars on the body and 1. If it’s aspartame, don’t touch it, it’s very toxic to the brain in particular and has been linked to a lot of illnesses. This link to a podcast I listened to will explain more.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/the-erin-chamerlik-show/id409348679?mt=2&i=332627841

2. I’ve read that when the ‘sweetness’ that artificial sugar provides hits the taste buds, it triggers a message to the pancreas to release insulin as it thinks sugar is coming. When it doesn’t eventuate, you end up with insulin circulating throughout your blood stream with nothing to do and insulin is one of the hormones that signals to your brain that you are hungry. That’s why a lot of people with insulin resistance or pre diabetes or T2D are overweight or obese and find it very difficult to lose weight, (as they are always hungry) or at least a lot more difficult than those who don’t have raised insulin levels.

If you are trying to kerb the hunger, you would be better off to have some fat – a teaspoon of butter or a small piece of cheese or even a few macadamia nuts which are high in fat and very low in carbs. Be careful with nuts though as they vary in their carbohydrates content. Cashews are particularly high. That signals a message to the brain very quickly and the hunger signals all but disappear. There are days that I actually forget to eat breakfast or lunch now as this strategy works so well.

I’ve learnt a lot from The podcasts ‘The Livin’ La Vida Low Carb Show with Jimmy Moore’ and ‘Keto Talk’ with Jimmy Moore and The Doc’.

Both are very informative and have taken me to the next level of education after reading Dr MM’s The Blood Sugar Diet.

Any questions, just ask.
    Cheers
    Linda

on

Hey ho, not sure if I am going to do this but here goes. I said I would lose 10 lbs on the 8 week challenge to Xmas. I have lost 7.5 so I am well on my way. But, there is only 1.5 weeks to go and 2.5 lbs to lose so that is where I might strike out. I never give up so will be giving it my all between now and the 20th (the day we head off for England). Next weekend I am going to try on some clothes I have not been able to get into.

Verano, I think the advice on the walk is aimed at people who actually eat carbs. Just suggests they should do the walk after their most carb laden meal, so if they eat a salad a lunch then meat and 2 veg for dinner the walk will have more impact after the dinner meal. We (angels that we are) don’t eat carb laden but can still benefit from the theory that light exercise immediately after a meal can be more helpful in reducing BG. Have you found any exercises you can do, there is a great article on Sparkpeople.com with exercises for mobility reduced persons.

Have a good day everyone and enjoy your weekend.

• posted by Lara
    on

Thanks Linda! I checked the ingredients and there was lots of chemical goobledeegook as you’d expect. Then I googled aspartame as you suggested and discovered it’s also know as “E951”, and yes you guessed it, there it was hiding in the ingredients as a seemingly innocuous “sweetener E951”. In the bin that goes – thank you for the save 🙂

• posted by Alex49
    on

Hello all, well it’s the start of week 7 for me and I have lost 11.8 kilos to date….nearly 26 lb In old money! When I think back to all the other diets I have tried and the advice that you should aim to lose 1 or 2 lb per week…what an amazing waste of effort! Can’t believe how addicted I have become to blueberries and Greek yoghurt. Sunshine girl…a lot of what you said about wine really resonated with me, but being since being on the 800 plan, not having wine hasn’t bothered me at all. Like many others on here I have noticed a significant change in my taste for food and much of my previous carb and sugar laden go to food doesn’t interest me now…can’t wait for the January sales to buy some new smaller clothes 😊

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Christmas party safely (ish) negotiated. BSD dodgy, as my carbs for the day headed up almost to the 90g mark, but that is still a lot lower than such a day would have been in the past, and included more than my 5 a day of veg. Ate the olive oil mashed potato that came with the Beef bourginion but it was only a small portion, and managed to avoid the bread that came with the salmon starter and the crackers that came with the cheese course. Drinking was a little less controlled, I started early as I attended the pre-party drinks as well, but only had a few small glasses of prosecco and one shot of Sambuca and one of Jack Daniels honey whiskey (the bosses favourite) which reinforced my opinion that such drinks are now way too sweet for me. Will refuse the offer next time. No hangover though which is good. The day as a whole had me probably just over that day’s TDEE, but the weekly average is at my BMR so will probably be still losing a little when it settles down again.

• posted by OiMadam
    on

What an amazing bunch of fellow sleigh riders! Whether you are riding high at the front or clinging on at the back, celebrating or consoling, remember to love yourself for who you are today.

on

I am a bit cross, doing The Diabetes Epidemic course and been pleased to see the recommendation for Prof Taylor and low carbing. Get to the part ‘what should you advise a person with diabetes to eat’ and the answer was starchy food 3 times a day, low fat food like yoghurts and to use sweeteners. There are 67 comments following this part of the course and 90% are as cross as I am.

There was also advice to eat 3 fruits a day. So here goes. BG this morning 80 (4.4), after lunch 120 (6.6), ate 2 satsumas, BG 179 (9.9). I will let you know if that goes down by this evening or does it keep my BG raised. Just an experiment.

Krysia, had my 10 min walk, nearly forgot then suddenly jumped up and dashed out.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sunshine-girl I think you’re right about the walking after a high carb meal. Have joined sparkpeople so thanks for that. Frog did give me a link but I’ve lost it and wouldn’t know where to look for it now. I think I better catch up with the course quickly … you keep spoiling the end!!!!!!! You’re doing really well on this challenge and even if you don’t make the full 10 you’ve still done well.

Well said OiMadam!!! I think we very rarely have thoughts of self-loathing here … and if anyone does …. stop immediately!!!

Mixnmatch I think sometimes you just have to take a look at the week as a whole then the averages even out any blips!!

on

Hi Verano, sorry if I am giving away the punch line. I will keep quiet. Do get on with it so we can discuss. Even with my annoyance at some points it is very informative.

I am just about to do my BG to see how the satsumas have affected me. Hang on…… Okay, back down, 96 (5.3) so quick rise but comes back down quickly. I don’t often eat sweet fruit, just berries although in summer I love strawberries.

Hubby is cooking tea tonight, a beef stew called beef latimer, it is just a normal stew but with horseradish sauce added at the end, very tasty. He is having mashed pots and I am having mashed cauli.

Have a good weekend all.

• posted by GingerbreadMama
    on

Thanks to Esnecca for the sprout slaw recipe – it’s stunning! And so pretty – green and pink colours! Wish I could post a photo!

• posted by tigs
    on

Hello fellow Santa’s Helpers! Are we all elves on this sleigh?

So excited to have dropped into the 60’s as in now 69.8kg. 11 weeks done and weigh in today – lost 11.3kg (25lb) and 14cm off my waist. Looking like will hit the top of BMI by Christmas but not too concerned as heading in the right direction. Some way to go yet.

Have learned to be very very patient on this way of eating. All those numbers deliver eventually (in our favour). Just keep on keeping on, meal by meal, day by day, challenge by challenge, fall by fall and win by win.
    xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sunshine-girl I’ve caught up with you now! Maybe I missed something with the monotone video voice!! Yes it looked like we were heading towards low carb eating but it wasn’t to be!!! Maybe it will come later ???

I think only we low carb eaters are ever going to convince people that this way of eating is good for people with diabetes. I had a conversation just today with someone who couldn’t conceive of a life without simple carbs, but as I suggested alternatives it started to become easier for her to see it is possible!

We just have to keep on track for ourselves and give help wherever and whenever we can!

We know this is the best way to eat. Hopefully others will join us, especially people with diabetes.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl
    That is so disappointing – how on earth can they sing the praises of Professor Taylor and then recommend starchy carbs three times a day and low fat stuff and sweeteners. After reading the info from LindaA – the fact that they are recommending sweeteners is even more worrying.

Your beef Larimer sounds really delicious – hope you enjoyed it.

Alex49 – great weight loss of 26lb. And Tigs you are so right – by just keeping on keeping on the numbers do eventually deliver in our favour. So I am not at all surprised that you are now in the 60s. Well done.

Its been super hectic in my last week of work before Christmas and I have done a bit of emotional eating to cope with it. But am really proud of myself that meridian peanut butter and Tesco finest roasted nuts were what I chose to eat – so I don’t think that too much damage was done. In fact today I didn’t feel much like eating at all so had a bit of a fage yoghurt day.

Pre-BSD – I remember one particular year that on my way home from work I stopped at a petrol station and bought bars of chocolate (not the good Lindt stuff) to console myself for overworking. After a few days of this the young man who had been serving me said ‘ you know this is not good for you – you really need to stop doing this’. I was so shocked that I did stop that particular carb fest.

I think that the 3 teaspoons of peanut butter and small handful of nuts are positively saintly compared with what I used to eat.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Verano, I am not worried at all, so far I am doing exactly what I intended with this period, which is trial ways to maintain my weight when I get to my target, while allowing myself a bit more of the carbs, and alcohol, that will be an occasional feature of my post diet way of life. So far all my indulgences, even the potato and bread shaped ones, have not triggered any carb feeding frenzy, so I am cautiously optimistic that as long as I keep such indulgences as occasional treats I will be able to continue to eat and drink anything I want to going forward.

Had a great day shopping in the local charity shops today, bought some beautiful stuff including a fabulous Karen Millen soft black leather jacket, size 12. If I do lose any more after Christmas that will still be wearable, but not if I put any on so that is added motivation.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I’m so glad you liked the slaw, GingerbreadMama. It really is a happy, colorful dish, isn’t it? I’ve often served it to guests because you can make it early, it doesn’t require oven/stove work and it looks so pretty with zero effort. 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.