'Strictly' our last 4 in 2016 … Nov 22nd … let's go out on a high!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Hello again Strictlys. I’m popping back here to be strict about exercise – have been letting it slip woefully despite having a pricey-to-hire rowing machine installed in the spare room for the last five, and next seven, weeks. Apart form a few early sessions I’ve hardly sat my fat bum on the seat, so it’s 30 minutes minimum every day from now on. Will also do post-meal brisk walks because that makes perfect sense to me.

Hey, was anyone else aware of the U.K. DVLA guidelines on safe blood sugar guidelines for driving? I wasn’t, nobody had mentioned it to me but worth looking up esp if, like me, you get up early and drive distances for work.

Hang on to that sleigh! MKx

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’ve had two pieces of good news this morning. Firstly my weight, which went up more than a kg due to it being that time of the month, is back down to Monday’s weight. If I can maintain this week instead of having a gain I will be delighted, considering how it was looking two days ago.

And my niece was born early this morning, welcome to the world Ashley Piper!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Oh my goodness sleigh-pals! I have a fantastically funny image in my mind of this ratty sleigh, pulled maniacally by out of control reindeer, with half of us clinging on with our fingernails to the sleds and the other half holding on for dear life in their seats but all of us grinning from ear to ear! Good times sleigh pals — good times!!😜
    First things first — congratulations to the new aunt, Natalie!! Welcome Ashley Piper (sweet name).
    Sunshine-girl, I am disgusted that on the one hand they quote the new research, then recommend an antiquated way to eat. That is terrible!! Keep us posted if they improve their point of view.
    Maharani kitten — you can do sprints on your rowing machine!! It is the cross-fit alternative to running — just pull as hard as you can for 600 yards, then slowly and restfully for 2-4 minutes ( your goal is to get your heart rate close to normal) — repeat 8-10 times — fantastic sprint workout! (Work up to final number, this is hard!)
    Tigs– meal by meal — you’re doing good!
    KrysiaD– emotional eating gets all of us sometimes but good that your choices were wise — I loved your story of the young man who advised you not to eat so many chocolate bars during a difficult time — I had a moment where I was trying to close the hood of a car and it wouldn’t catch. I kept slamming and slamming and slamming, but it would not close. A young man came up and said, “you know, these things were designed to work, so something is wrong”. He fiddled for a minute with the hinge, then held the hood in one finger and dropped it. It caught and closed.
    It was a life lesson to me. And maybe it applies to BSD too — our bodies were designed to work — we just need to give them the right tools to do so — I learned to slow down and LOOK for the problem — and that what BSD did for me too.
    Verano, thanks for your continued hosting!
    Julia

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Forgot to say, hang in there Nedds mum! Don’t worry about a bad day. Consider what went wrong, come up with a way to do it better next time and start again!! Got a seat for you on the sleigh….

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Julia – I love your image of the sleigh – it made me laugh.

You are right that our bodies are designed to work – we just need to give them the right tools to do so. With the BSD and this forum we do have the right tools – both nutritional and emotional. The emotional eating I did was much more thoughtful and controlled than I have ever done before and by using BSD food it didn’t set off any cravings at all. I entered it into fatsecret and on the 3 days I did it my total daily calories were just under 1400 – which made me feel good because I realised that I wasn’t doing myself any harm at all.

I also do love your story about the young man and how it was a life lesson for you.

On the issue of the bad advice from the diabetes course I have just read this interesting article about fat from the Express
    http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/742143/fat-is-good-for-you-eat-up-says-new-dietary-research

In the article it says obesity rates were 2.5% in the 1970s before the low fat high carb advice started and now obesity rates are 25%. Surely the mainstream advice must change soon -now that so much research in favour of high fat low carb is being published.

Natalie – congratulations on your two pieces of good news. Both are equally as good.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 6 …… WEEK 3

Good morning

See you’re up early too Krysia!!!

I have read all your posts with interest so can I just say congratulations, well done, never mind, keep trying ….. please pick whichever is appropriate for you!!!

Today is another day, another start or another day in the process of becoming healthy. We are now into single figures with just 9 days of this challenge left….. so ‘let’s go out on a high!!’ Just one last push.

Have a good day.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano
    Up early but being lazy. Have just read Wednesday’s ‘I’ and done the sudoku – just enjoying relaxing and catching up with reading. Must get the washing on and sort out breakfast.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Thought I would jump on the scales before my breakfast. Friday weight was up by 3/4lb to 9st 9.25lb (from my Tuesday weigh in). This morning 9st 7.25lb. How weird – how did that happen when I ate more calories than usual (although they were all ‘strictly’ BSD calories). I am now exactly in the centre of my healthy BMI at a weight I haven’t seen since 1965 – or maybe even before that. What a lovely Christmas present.

Had breakfast and am now reading Thursday’s ‘i’ and drinking my Nespresso coffee with cream before I dash out for my after breakfast walk. The bacon egg mushrooms and tomato breakfast was delicious.

• posted by Verano
    on

Krysia thanks for the links ….. interesting!

I think that we all probably have a +/- 2lb tolerance when the scales aren’t actually measuring a gain or a loss but just reacting to more or less water retention. Maybe!!! Just a thought!!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Yes -thank you for that – I do think you are right – the 300 extra calories a day for 3 days triggered water retention – even though they were very low carb calories. So when I dropped the calories back down to 1000 the water weight dropped off plus the fat that I was going to lose anyway.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Morning all.

KrysiaD – being a re-cycled teenager(!) I remember those days.

When I was first put on a diet (1961, age 11, weight 11 stone) the advice was no bread, potatoes etc. I also remember seeing cards (like playing cards) for diabetics with carb information.

Not too long after that, the low-fat advice came in. I’ve done it all (or do it seems). It must be around 50 years that I’ve followed the conventional diet advice. I’ve been to just about every major slimming club, bought their gadgets and food products. Bought into ‘Potatoes, not Prozac’. Most months I’d be buying the slimming magazines. At this time every year I’d be in the book shops looking for the latest diet book in the hope that I would find the one that would work.

I’ve had many conversations with my American friend, who has also had many conversations with her doctor, on just this point. That the obesity (and diabetes) epidemic started when low carb disappeared and low fat took over. We have talked about the BSD. I sent the books before they were available in the USA. She was worried about her huband’s weight as well as her own. But the carbs are in control and she’s now in the team telling me not to lose more. Latest comment was that women who are slightly higher than BMI are healthier than those lighter!

I am so happy that I found the BSD book one year ago. And that I decided to try it. I’m watching ‘Obese: a year to save my life USA”. 2016 was my year to do that – without boot camp or a major exercise programme. Just changing the way I ate.

Best wishes for everyone on their BSD journey. If someone is wondering whether or not to try it, all I can say is “go for it”.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Captainlynne, I have read that about older women being healthier just into overweight category, a study done did show fewer serious illnesses and deaths among those with a BMI of about 26, having said that, provided you are eating healthily and maintaining your immune system there shouldn’t be a problem. I use the Smart BMI measure personally, which has me at 36/70 at the moment, where 39 is regarded as overweight. My BMI is exactly 25 so technically overweight, although I did dip below just at the end of my 8 weeks. I think I would like to make it to Smart BMI 35 which is halfway on that measure, which has me at the top end of my BMI healthy weight band, meets my April target for fitting into my dress, and provided I keep up my efforts to get fitter should naturally drop my fat percentage below eventually 30% which is my goal.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Mixnmatch

Thanks for that info. Just checked that out. My BMI is 23. My Smart BMI is 33/70.

Looks like they agree with each other that this is a good place for me to be πŸ˜€

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Captainlynne – oh yes I do remember the slimming magazines and I also bought every diet book ever published.

My ‘gut’ feeling about how low should we go (and yes I saw the stats about women being healthier with higher BMI) is that for someone like me whose pancreas has been damaged by carbs – going lower is the better option.

The last diabetes consultant I saw confirmed that my pancreas will probably never be strong enough to eat the bad carbs and I will probably always have to restrict fruit to keep my blood sugars good and keep off insulin. I am definitely seeing that dropping my weight lower is helping my pancreas to work better. The weight is dropping of my waist again (now 27 inches) and I think I could well be one of those people who need to go to the lower end of their BMI to lose all their visceral fat.

So, as we are eating a nutrient dense very healthy diet with all the healthy fats we need to stay in tip top condition – which is probably not the case for a lot of women at the lower end of their BMI who are following the current guidelines for healthy eating and cutting out all the healthy fats – I feel sure that our health will just improve and improve. There has been other research that says that following a calorie restricted nutrient rich diet prolongs life – and actually isn’t that just what we are doing.

Yes 2016 was also my year to save my life and my sight. As Bill1954 said – this has to work for me – and I can say with great joy that it really has.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Cleverblonde73

Similar headline in the Daily Mail.

When the BSD article appeared in the DM with our stories and photos I made the decision beforehand not to read the online comments because I know how nasty they can be.

Some people just seem to want to be nasty, almost bullying. We often experience the negative comments face to face. Sometimes we laugh them off. Other times they can stick, for a while.

The more publicity this way of eating gets, the better. The more people can make the changes and turn their life around.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Christmas do number two down. Gravadlax for starter, rack of lamb and a load of veg and a cranachan for pud. Did, however, indulge in a couple of glasses of a very good port (my booze nemesis) after the meal and picked at the cheese off a cheese platter. Did get a couple of comments that I can’t be “on a diet” and eat like that – they didn’t notice I didn’t eat the pre-meal nibbles, the bread rolls, the Dauphinoise potatoes or the Christmas cake, mince pies or cheese crackers.

But the good news – today’s weigh in – I’m down to 18st 12lb, which was my Christmas target.

I genuinely can’t remember when I weighed a number beginning with 18, but it’s fair to say at least twenty years ago. It is also the commitment I gave my diabetic nurse, so I have to at least maintain this to the end of the month.

So it’s a big thanks to everyone for all the support and advice on these forums, without which I’m certain I would not have got to this point. Onwards and downwards through the deep and crisp and even.

And next year, only the small matter of another two and a half stone…….

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Captainlynne – I remember reading that you could now pull your new jeans off without undoing them. I have just joined the club – my size 12 jeans I bought in August just pull straight off without undoing them. Oh dear – the only downside of the BSD.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Congratulations JulesMaigret – a wonderful achievement.

• posted by Cleverblonde73
    on

captainlynne, keyboard warriors are the worst. Amazing how hiding behind the anonymity of a computer can make some people really nasty. I’m just grateful for the supportive groups we have here on BSD forums.

Had a couple of days off piste here over my birthday, although I didn’t go crazy I know my calories were up and a bit of chocolate snuck in. Have written off and back on track now so no real damage done.

• posted by soupcon
    on

Hello everyone – I have just joined the forum and am not really sure where to start or whether to start a new post – I am starting today and hoping to get 2 weeks in before christmas inevitably slows progress down slightly – perhaps you will think I am mad to start now but I am feeling so out of control with my eating (that oh I’ll start tomorrow every morning and then blowing it and so eating and drinking too much) so I thought I should take control and do something about it NOW. I know (from doing spells of 5:2 fasting) that after a couple of days I will feel much better and back in control once the carb addiction has been kicked. But are there any other members who are starting now who can help me stay motivated? Or can I join you Strictly Last 4 weeks ers for 2 weeks ? I would like to loose at least 5kg – do you think that is realistic at the start of my new eating lifestyle? Thanks to anyone who can encourage me – I really need to do this and an worried that this might just turn into another failed attempt to loose some weight and get some control back.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

LOL KrysiaD. Welcome to that particular club πŸ’πŸ˜€

My jeans are size 14, bought a few months ago in the late lamented BHS, in their closing down sale. Now I’m in size 10 or 12 – most things 10, but my experimental jeggings (bought in charity shop) are size12!

Now waiting for the new year, and sales, for clothes shopping. I might even be brave enough to venture into clothes shops when I’m back in Italy in March. Friend’s husband will be away, so we can do more ‘girly’ things πŸ˜€ I need to remember that it’s ok to pay more for quality that lasts – because this is the size I will be staying, give or take a few pounds.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

welcome soupcon, it is never to early or too late to start thinking about your health. When I decided to give up alcohol completely as it is all too easy to overdo it in France. I started on 3rd December and everyone said it would be a miserable Xmas but I stopped for 17 months without a drop, now only drink now and then so I am in control. I assume at Xmas you will let go a little but you will have learnt some of the basics of low carb eating and that can only do you good.

As for losing 5kg, that is a lot but depends on how much you have to lose and how closely you stick with the plan. Most people can lose between 5 and 10 lbs in week one and then 3 or 4 the next so your goal is possible. It is a goal, it you dont aim for the moon you can never reach the stars.

Just give it a go and see where it takes you. One tip, don’t eat the biscotti breakfast toasts. My doctor told me they were low carb because they are twice baked. Ha ha , 60% carb of which 44% is sugars. Also, you will find a lovely plain Greek yoghurt made by Delice on the supermarket cool shelves.

Bon chance et bon voyage.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi soupcon

I started the BSD last year on 19th December, so even closer to Christmas than you.

I knew that if I waited until after Christmas, I’d delay until 1st January, then more delays. And the situation would only get worse.

So I read the book, cleared my kitchen of non-BSD foods, stocked up with ‘easy to grab’ food like boiled eggs. Living alone sometimes makes it easier- no one else to please.

From Christmas Eve to 2nd January I lost 3 pounds!

Now, a year later, I’m maintaining- having lost 103 pounds, approximately 7 dress sizes. But the main reason I started this was for health reasons, everything else is a bonus.

Best wishes for your BSD journey. Any questions, please ask.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Just wondering Verano if you are going to supply some extra cushions for us to sit on in the sleigh now we don’t have as much padding of our own?

on

Tick! 30 mins of rowing this morning, and a brisk walk after lunch.

Never mind jeans, all my knickers are falling off because they stretched to fit fat me and now I’ve shrunk…. Also, my ‘slimming’ slips for under dresses are now too loose to do their job!

Captainlynne, been reading back through your posts and you are a true inspiration, what an achievement, and living proof that true transformation is possible with determination.

Low fat/low carb discussions in UK newspapers this weekend are interesting. All I know is, every single friend of mine who has pushed a lettuce leaf round her plate at every meal, eaten obsessively low fat, run for miles every day and been genuinely frightened of putting on an ounce now has osteoporosis. Every single one of them, to a greater or lesser degree, in their early 50s. Also, a doctor friend of mine says that agonising over BMI is nonsense, because it’s basically a very vague guideline only, and he knows very fit men and women who are two STONES over their supposed ideal, and still in a healthy range as far as he is concerned. The word he used, friends, was b*llocks! It’s about build, age, fitness, so many other things, so no point getting fanatically hung up on a number, a guide only. You will know when you feel right and he was at great pains to tell me it is just as dangerous to health to be too skinny as to be too fat.

No excuse to be almost 15st like I was, however, but hey presto, 10 weeks of eating right and 2st plus has melted away.

Happy to report that my weight number, as of this morning, starts with a 12. Happy, happy, happy.

MK x

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

MK – absolutely spot-on about BMI, it is an average of an average of an average and about as accurate as you would expect that to be. I’ve agreed a weight target with my GP that will mean I end up with a BMI of about 28-29, but that reflects my build and age. I intend seeing how I feel when I get there and deciding whether to stick or twist.

It is all a bit academic as I’ve still got two and a half stone to go and reckon that will be the next six months at the very least.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hi everyone! Ha ha, I too have just joined the Baggy Trousers Club, although I didn’t try taking them off without unzipping – I’m sure it would have been possible! Despite losing weight each week, I wasn’t really seeing any great change in my body (except a flatter tum) or the fit of my clothes, until this morning when I pulled out my favourite navy trousers, previously a perfect fit, only to find they were so baggy and only just wearable!

It was the support, advice and reassuring posts on the forums that kept me from getting fed up (no pun intended) as it seems it’s a common problem!

Oh Captainlynne, I can relate, I too was 11st aged 11, puppy fat they said, it’ll go as you grow they said, don’t worry about it they said… at 14 I began the cycle of one diet after another, same ole, same ole! Long live the low carb full fat revolution! πŸ™‚

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hi everyone! Ha ha, I too have just joined the Baggy Trousers Club, although I didn’t try taking them off without unzipping – I’m sure it would have been possible! Despite losing weight each week, I wasn’t really seeing any great change in my body (except a flatter tum) or the fit of my clothes, until this morning when I pulled out my favourite navy trousers, previously a perfect fit, only to find they were so baggy and only just wearable!

It was the support, advice and reassuring posts on the forums that kept me from getting fed up (no pun intended) as it seems it’s a common problem!

Oh Captainlynne, I can relate, I too was 11st aged 11, puppy fat they said, it’ll go as you grow they said, don’t worry about it they said… at 14 I began the cycle of one diet after another, same ole, same ole! Long live the low carb full fat revolution! πŸ™‚

• posted by Verano
    on

Krysia … this is not the Ritz!!! If you feel the need for a cushion for your bony bum then ‘bring your own’ !!!

Well, I’ve just had a ‘challenge ‘! Have been out for lunch and had ‘gambas ajillo’ (prawns in garlic oil) and I so needed, no wanted, a nice piece of crusty bread to enjoy all that garlic oil!!!! RESISTED!!! But … had cod with onions and it was served with a boiled potato and a small portion of sweet potato!!! Did have half of the sweet potato, not even the size of a new potato. I didn’t turn into a pumpkin or disappear in a puff of smoke!

People on other tables were eating paella, my favourite, and other rice dishes. My diabetes has always been under control with metformin. I am starting to wonder if I should just keep taking the pills and enjoy the odd paella!!!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Ah – I could stuff the cushion in the seat of my jeans – there is enough room there for a cushion as well as my rear and it means I won’t have to carry the cushion. Sorted!!

You did well at your lunch. I love prawns but have never had them with garlic oil – it sounds delicious. You might find when you are on target and off the metformin that your b.s. is ok after the odd paella. If not – you could try the NZ protocol of the 10 minute walk after a high carb meal to bring it back down.

This week I was telling someone about the BSD and they said that I they never would have believed I had been overweight. It really made me feel good because I feel – at the moment -that I am an overweight person masquerading as a slim person. I wonder if it takes a while for your brain to accept the weight loss. I still get that feeling of surprise when I see my reflection in a mirror.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Krysia … well that’s you sorted!! Anyone else that wants cushioning should follow your example!!!

You may have had prawns pil pil, which are the same. Anyway, two hours after my sweet potato morsel and I’m fighting to keep my eyes open. I don’t have my blood monitor here but I guess if I took my BG now it would be sky high. So I think I’ve answered my own question!!!!

The NZ method is no good for me as my reduced mobility doesn’t let me ‘go for a walk’ it just about let’s me get from a to b as long as that isn’t too great a distance!!!

I’m sure it takes time to readjust to your new body. Just basque in the glory of your achievement and keep sticking cushions down your trousers!!!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sorry Verano – I forgot about your reduced mobility. That sleepiness after eating carbs – I had it for years and years and didn’t recognise that it was caused by high blood glucose. Which is probably why I was so ill by the time I was diagnosed.

Maybe the reason I am having problems getting used to seeing myself as slim is because every time I lost weight before I maintained it for all of 5 minutes before I piled it back on. It might be that my subconscious is quite shocked that this is not happening this time and is why I have to do a double take when I look in the mirror. But you are right – I need to just enjoy it.

• posted by topcac
    on

I can relate to feeling the lack of padding. My car seat has got a lot less comfortable lately!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I had the most awful meal ever tonight. Hubby decided to buy a turkey join wrapped in parma ham and stuffed with foie gras and mushrooms. Not sure about the stuffing, tried a bit but I really hated the fact it looked like our old style Sunday lunches, plates piled high. I left half the corn on the cob, half the turkey meat and I did try the stuffing but suspect it was not all meat and mushrooms. It so outfaced me and felt so alien to see such of plateful. I feel bloated just thinking about it and hope it has not done too much damage, I kept to 23 insulin units as I felt fat and awful. Tomorrow is another day.

on

Isn’t it weird, sunshine girl, offended is exactly what I felt when I saw my father-in-law (28 stones) piling his plate as full as he possibly could last week, with absolutely no shame. I find huge plates of food ,,,,discouraging … These days. Also find myself raking smaller forkfuls of food, have become dainty lady (at last !) , MK x

• posted by Natalie
    on

Monday is my weigh-in, after big swings up and down all week I’ve ended up 0.5kg up. Not great, but hopefully there will be another swing down soon. I can’t join the pants-falling-down club yet but my shorts are baggy enough that today I went looking for a new pair. I can fit into the next size down and zip them up but they left me with an unattractive muffin top. So I’m sort of between sizes. I’ll have to wait a few more weeks and go to after-Christmas sales. I still have several more sizes to shrink into before I get to maintenance! I love Christmas but I’m almost looking forward to it being over so I can get on with this without all the distractions.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 6 ….. WEEK 3

Hi everyone. I think it’s great that we are all actually ‘thinking’ about food now instead of just mindlessly eating whatever is in front of us. That is a huge step forward for the future.

As you say sunshine-girl tomorrow is another day and it’s arrived!! So let’s make it a good!

No need to apalogise Krysia. I really must try very much harder to do some exercise …. on my must do list for 2017!

I’m reporting my weigh-in today as I won’t have access to scales for the next few days. I have had what I consider to be a good week because I’m standing still. I have played with the same pound on and off all week …. off at the moment!! Being on holiday this is the best I can hope for. Realistically if I go home weighing the same as when I arrived I’ll be over the moon!!!

Natalie it’s not the end of the world you have it under control and that’s the important bit.

So, we have only 8 days left, one day at a time. Have a good day.

• posted by soupcon
    on

Hi everyone – thanks to Sunshine Girl and Captainlynne for their encouraging replies – it is good to know that you have both taken up a challenge at, not the ideal moment and still succeeded, and it has been amazing reading all the different posts with so many stories of such amazing amounts of weight loss – Captainlynne your are inspirational – I am feeling very positive that this is the way to lose the weight.

Yesterday was my first day and wasn’t perfect by any stretch of the imagination (I’ve promised myself that I will be honest with myself and everyone on here, as if not there isn’t much point joining in) – so I had amazing intentions of sticking to it – I fasted until lunch (this is something I find quite easy and intend to do most of the time) and then had a salad for lunch so all good. And then managed to have nothing until a late dinner – but my son had returned home after a few months away so we had a celebration meal and I ate a roast potato and drank 3 glasses of red wine – so I have gone way over my 800 calorie limit (although still ate less than normal) – not a very good start but I am trying not to sabotage my efforts by doing my usual oh I’ll start again next sunday (or whenever). So I’m writing this to keep me committed although I know tonight will be tricky too as we have a drinks party to go to (how crazy that this just fills me with dread rather than being something to look forward to, but I am sure I am not the only one who feels that way and you can’t really go through life hiding at home so that you don’t come across any situations when you are tempted to stray from the regime. Well good luck to all of you Strictly people – you don’t have long to go to the end of your four week push, I wish I had been with you from the start!

• posted by soupcon
    on

Hi everyone – thanks to Sunshine Girl and Captainlynne for their encouraging replies – it is good to know that you have both taken up a challenge at, not the ideal moment and still succeeded, and it has been amazing reading all the different posts with so many stories of such amazing amounts of weight loss – Captainlynne your are inspirational – I am feeling very positive that this is the way to lose the weight.

Yesterday was my first day and wasn’t perfect by any stretch of the imagination (I’ve promised myself that I will be honest with myself and everyone on here, as if not there isn’t much point joining in) – so I had amazing intentions of sticking to it – I fasted until lunch (this is something I find quite easy and intend to do most of the time) and then had a salad for lunch so all good. And then managed to have nothing until a late dinner – but my son had returned home after a few months away so we had a celebration meal and I ate a roast potato and drank 3 glasses of red wine – so I have gone way over my 800 calorie limit (although still ate less than normal) – not a very good start but I am trying not to sabotage my efforts by doing my usual oh I’ll start again next sunday (or whenever). So I’m writing this to keep me committed although I know tonight will be tricky too as we have a drinks party to go to (how crazy that this just fills me with dread rather than being something to look forward to, but I am sure I am not the only one who feels that way and you can’t really go through life hiding at home so that you don’t come across any situations when you are tempted to stray from the regime. Well good luck to all of you Strictly people – you don’t have long to go to the end of your four week push, I wish I had been with you from the start!

• posted by Busybee
    on

Morning all.
    Monday is also my weigh in day and I am delighted to report that I am a pound down – this is at the end of my birthday “week”! In the past at this stage I am 7lbs up and by the new year this could be up a lot more. I hope to lose another couple of pounds this week as our two week family Christmas get together starts next monday!
    I log in regularly during each day to see your postings and the comments make me laugh, sometimes a little sad, but mostly determined to hang onto the sleigh.
    X B

• posted by CaroleH
    on

So I’m back from my trip away and in 4 days I’ve lost the 1.4 lbs I put on and more besides. And today my scales tell me I have a BMI below 30, so am no longer obese. Still another 28 lbs to go to be not considered overweight and 45 lbs to get to my ideal weight, but having lost 20 lbs I’m feeling very positive.
    This forum helps so much – reading everyone’s success stories, boosting and encouraging each other.
    But also this BSD is so EASY to stick to! I don’t even crave the sweet or starchy things I used to practically live on and have huge meals despite staying below 800 calories. In fact sometimes I’m so far below 800 it’s almost worrying and I’m still not hungry!

• posted by CaroleH
    on

KrysiaD – you are such an inspiration! I love your posts. I can’t weight (that’s a Freudian slip if ever there was one – I meant to type “wait”!!) to be a fat person masquerading as a slim person! And cushions down your trousers!! I’m getting there!!

• posted by topcac
    on

Congratulations Busy bee – losing weight on a birthday week is no mean feat and certainly something I’ve never achieved.

Well done CaroleH too – going away is never easy and usually an excuse to misbehave so kudos to you! – and not longer obese – amazing!

Last week at work was an absolute nightmare so I haven’t posted much – so sorry – but to all those who are doing well, keep it up, although everyone has been saying’ Christmas is around the corner’, they’ve basically been saying that since mid September and it’s still nearly two weeks to go!! So stay strong, keep away from the ‘treats’ that will inevitably make their way to you, or just plan which ones you will indulge in and stick with that.

For those struggling, be strong also, but remember that we are all flawed humans and we will make mistakes, and mess up and that’s absolutely OK – the one thing we must do is continue to fight the good fight!

As for me, well the deflector shields are working well. I survived lots of goodies last week in the office, succumbing only to a chocolate coin that was very ‘meh’ and I felt I could happily never have another one this year. I also survived a ‘browse’ around Waitrose (yummy supermarket for those not in the know) without wanting to cry so I feel that’s progress.

When I jumped on the scales this morning for my normal weekly weigh in I was 2lb down! So…wait for it…that’s just half a pound from my target ( which is 9st 2lbs or 15% of my body weight lost). HALF A POUND!!

Will try to check in more often this week – sending lots of Christmas hugs to you all xxx

• posted by Snoop
    on

Great stuff, Busybee and CaroleH. And wowee, Topcac! Congratulations. You’ll be there before Christmas for sure and maybe even enough for some wiggle room.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Well done Busybee and CaroleH, isn’t it freeing to find an eating style that is easy to stick too AND gives great results!

Soupcon, I’m sure you’ll find it increasingly easier as time goes by. I too started slowly with a few practice days before committing myself, I cut out sugar and swapped refined carbs (the white stuff) for lentils and chickpeas, increased my protein and fat portions slightly and found that within 4days I had lost 3lb!!! I was hooked! It took a little bit of mental adjustment to think in terms if carbs rather than fat, but the penny dropped for me on my first low-carb grocery shopping day. It was like an exciting adventure comparing different foods, looking at things I would previously have shunned and being gloriously happy to find they were low carb (perhaps I need to get out more?). I don’t think many people find the first couple of weeks easy, but stick with it, you’ll be glad you did.

CaroleH, I know that feeling of not needing much food to feel satisfied, sometimes (often) I feel so full after a meal I find myself recalculating the calories thinking I MUST have got it wrong! I hope there will be enough distractions over Christmas that nobody notices what I’m (not) eating!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Soupcon
    A brilliant start. You must have cut your carbs dramatically from what you normally eat so well done for stopping at one potato. You will find it gets easier once you stop all the bad carbs.

I was a serious carb addict and had absolutely no willpower to stay off the bad carbs and sugar – I just couldn’t resist it. But what I have found on this way of eating is that if I don’t eat even one tiny mouthful of starchy or sugary carbs I have absolutely no cravings for them, no desire for them or feeling that I am missing out by not eating them. There is no willpower involved – absolutely none at all, thank goodness, because willpower is not one of those things that I am very good at – and the longer I don’t eat them the more I think yuk what disgusting horrible stuff.

I think the key for me was to find foods that I really love to eat – and there is so much lovely stuff on this way of eating – Lindt dark chocolate, nuts, cream, all types of cheese, stir frying my courgetti in butter – I could go on and on.

I am not the best person to advise you on the drinks party as I have a severe allergic reaction to alcohol (it causes intense burning in my gullet) so always have sparkling water or coffee at any do involving alcohol. I also follow Captainlynne’s example in social situations where there is no BSD friendly food available by just having black coffee instead of all the bad stuff. If I think that I would be hungry (or feel deprived) I also take a little bag of nuts and some squares of dark chocolate so I can nibble on foods I love instead of stuff that would harm my health. I have a tiny milk flask that I take double cream in for my coffee if I don’t want black coffee. I even take it to the hairdressers who make lovely coffee but spoil it with fake cream.

It’s finding what works for you. The other thing I realised was that no-one else really notices how much I drink and eat on social occasions as long as I don’t make a big song and dance about it. If on the rare occasion that someone does say anything I just say I have some health issues – unless they are really interested about their own health and weight which is when I tell them about the BSD. I have become very evangelical about the BSD and sometimes it is quite hard for me to keep my mouth shut.

Good luck on your BSD journey.

Verano I really feel that staying the same when I am away is a super achievement – so I think you are doing really well. Actually staying the same on any week is good because I still have very vivid memories of all the many many times I had dramatic weight gains since the 1960s until I discovered the BSD.

I have been very good about my walking but really bad about the HIT workouts I was going to do on my static cycle. I am determined to start them soon – no, not soon, will start them this week.

• posted by Verano
    on

Well done Busybee, CaroleH and topcac… you are doing so well… keep going!

SoupΓ§on welcome. I think the previous posters have said all there is to say but just to add one thing. Don’t worry about missing the beggining of this challenge there WILL be another and another and …..!!!! It does get easier with time.

Krysia I think quite a few of us remember the constant diet days of the 60’s!! I think the Cabbage Diet is the only one I never tried over the years !!!! It’s such a relief to find a plan that’s doesn’t constantly have you thinking about food. I love the freedom from the constant battle of trying to fit in as many ‘treats’ as possible into a calorie or point based diet!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Welcome SOUPCON and well done BUSYBEE CAROLE and – Ta dah! TOPCAC! Just one half pound to go! You’ve given yrself the best Crimbo pressy ever x πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
    I too survived Waitrose ..went on Saturday,very much enjoyed seeing all the beautifully packaged Xmas goodies.
    I feasted my eyes rather than my tum! of course,the wrappings are very carefully designed to appeal to our eyes and encourage us to buy! But its possible to just enjoy looking without needing to purchase and consume!
    Also enjoyed the lovely smell in the bakery but wasnt tempted…then we drove round admiring all the christmas trees and lights in the windows of local houses. Thank goodness for Yuletide celebrations…December wd be very dark if it wasnt for the bright twinkling lights x

Please log in or register to post a reply.