'Strictly' our last 4 in 2016 … Nov 22nd … let's go out on a high!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Well it’s that time of the month when I feel like the Grinch. Does he have a Christmas song? Urg, tired and cranky. Got to get through the day without eating everything in sight.

• posted by jmarie41
    on

KrysiaD–I really like your thought about “little practice sessions for maintenance”. . .such a good thought! I have been thinking a lot about how important it is to keep the weight off. It just feels so good to get this weight off and feel better physically and mentally because of the loss. I don’t want to go back but it takes practice to get it right. When I look back to all the times I’ve lost weight in my life, I always wonder how it slips away and slowly goes back up. I don’t want that to happen anymore! It just doesn’t feel good. So now, when I eat a piece of chocolate, I am thinking about not overdoing it and having another piece, then another piece and then feeling like I’ll start over again tomorrow because that is how I end up slowly gaining my weight back. I need to keep practicing and accepting that sometimes it will happen that I’ll eat something with higher carbs but I can get right back on track. I don’t have to look at it like I fell off the wagon!

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Thank daisies mum – I’ll try roasting them tomorrow. Have some left over from the slaw I made earlier which incidentally is delish. Problem is I can’t stop eating it.

Oimadam – liking the sound of the 6:1 BSD. If I have a bad day (which I often do, hence my 3rd restart ) I may adopt this approach.

Day 6 completed. Time for bed. Fired up for completing my first week tomorrow. Thanks to all for the encouragement. Take care

• posted by Verano
    on

Well done too all our losers!

Just had to report my huge step forward. Went to a favourite restaurant tonight but had forgotten they have a great bread basket served with alioli and cream cheese and jam…. know it sounds bad but it’s great.

Ok, so I took a very small piece of thin sliced toasted bread and put a little cheese on it but you know without the jam it was boring ….. so left it!!!!!

Second triumph was that a friend I’ve not seen for a few months NOTICED! She could see I’ve lost weight!!!!

That felt better than any food tastes!!!!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I’m so glad you made and liked the slaw, Nedds mum. It can be addictive, especially for people who aren’t used to liking Brussels sprouts. You don’t see that deliciousness coming!

Incidentally, I went through a long phase of sprouts aversion, but that was due to a rotten batch we got once when I was a kid that looked normal but tasted like vinegar balls. It took me a solid decade to get over that association. Now I love them dearly and I’m delighted to see this thread inspiring several people to give them another try. Go for it, guys!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Trelawny, my mother’s family is from Hayle, we go there regularly. It is a lovely part of the world.

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Hi Mixmatch I also live in Hayle!

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Hi esnecca

It certainly is addictive. Before I came to bed I helped myself to another spoonful. I have eaten too much of it today (typical me). Hope it doesn’t set me back.

Going to try captainLynne’s sprout stir fry tomorrow and then I’ll try roasting some too.

Last Xmas I screwed my face up like a child when offered some. How times are beginning to changes (or rather my tastebuds!)

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi captainlynne
    The lower belly wobble just under my belly button was the last to come off for me, so keep going!
    I now seem to have stabilised with a 2 kg range between 56-58kg so I’m glad I kept going until my body worked out where it should be.
    Hope your head is ok.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 2 …. WEEK 3

Just 13 days of this challenge left so now on the downward path. Hope everyone is doing well.

We seem to be quite a few people short this week. If you haven’t posted because things aren’t going too well …. just get back on this sleigh NOW! It’s lovely to report weight loss and get praise but it’s when things are going less well that you really need the support, even if it’s just to stand still!

Anyway, I’m still standing still which is great. Hope you all have a good day.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi LindaA

That particular area is never going to be good on me after 2 Caesarean sections ๐Ÿ˜ข. It’s more round my waist! I don’t believe I’m actually saying that, having already lost 20 (yes – twenty) inches from my waist during this journey.

I’m honestly not stressing about it, but will see what happens over the next few weeks.

Twelve days until my first BSD anniversary! Hard to believe that a year can make such a difference. I often watch ‘Obese: A year to save my life” and have seen the great results. But they follow such an intensive exercise programme, as well as monitoring nutrition (low-fat) that I doubt I would have been able to cope. If I remember correctly, they qualify for weight loss surgery after losing 40% of their starting body weight. Guess what? I”ve lost around 45%. Would I want that surgery? Not really. Because then I’d have scars to hide. And I cants afford it anyway. Someone suggested it to me, but I pointed out that I needed my money for my retirement which is drawing eve closer!

I am so much happier and healthier than this time last year. Wishing the same for everyone else on this journey.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Verano – if I’ve not already posted it – maintained again this week, which was my goal for this thread , so a happy bunny.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Verano I’m here hanging on working my way through 5 events this week involving food and survived two so far. My girlfriends have an annual Xmas high tea at a local coffee shop that is both delicious and gargantuan, sandwiches scones jam cream and four types of cake. Last year that was me this year I joined them but with a large pot of peppermint tea and their joyful company. The evening was a buffet so fine for the main course I just gave the desserts a miss.

Two lunches and a dinner to go but if I can carry on like this it will be OK. I keep thinking 5 more weeks to lose the 10 pounds that takes me to OW and the surgery. Goals are good for me.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks Lynne you had posted. In fact I’ve had another look at the posts since Monday and we have probably only got 5 or 6 who’ve not posted yet which is pretty good as there are over 40 of us!!!

You sound like you’re doing really well, Angiebabe …. just one ‘party’ at a time!!!!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Cleverblonde73 – congratulations on reaching the one stone mark – it is so good to think of a whole stone gone for good.

Jmarie41 – congratulations also on achieving 18.5lbs in 8 weeks. It’s such a good feeling to reach a major goal.

Yowzer49 and Trelawney well done for your losses this week. It’s lovely to see the scales going down.

OiMadam – what a great way to look at a day off plan. It actually wasn’t off plan – you were doing the 6.1. Oh if only I had done the same in pre-BSD days. It would have saved me having to lose the same weight over and over again. What a great result – a 2lb loss. I think this forum is really helping us all to change our mindset.

Jmarie41 – yes, this is such a big learning curve. The maintenance phase might be even more important than the weight loss phase, especially for those of us who have lost weight many times before. Your maintenance strategy sounds a really good way to stay healthy and keep the weight off and is exactly what I will be doing.

Verano – well done on your huge step forward. How fantastic that you left it.

LindaA – that is really good to hear. Although I look quite slender now I still have the under belly wobble. Great that it does go. I am at the stage where everyone says I have lost enough but I still feel that I need to keep going to get rid of the last of the belly fat – so thanks for the info.

• posted by chicken106
    on

Hi all. I need to report a 600g gain this week. Honestly, I’m amazed it was not worse given my emotional eating-o-rama this week. I am away for work for the next ten days and won’t weigh again until I get back to the home scales – the week 4 weigh-in. Hopefully the break in routine and being away from the things that are winding me up will actually be a good thing…

Congratulations to everyone. It’s fascinating hearing the range of approaches and strategies that we are discovering to change our lives so radically for the better.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

CHICKEN I love your word eating -o – rama! Good luck for this week! X
    TAPATCH Jump aboard,space for everyone. I agree with you,this IS a very good place x

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, hope you are having a good day. I had a whoosh moment when I got on the scales and have lost just over a pound since yesterday, mind you, if you had seen the p………… never mind, too much information.

Had my Christmas party at my French class and it was certainly a lesson when I did my BG this morning. I really don’t think I ate anything carbie (except for one mouthful of cake) but in some cases I am not sure what I was eating. I made a quiche on behalf of my husband and I had 2 pieces, minus the pastry, there were some endive cups with what I think was veg and mayo (out of a jar) and I also had a portion of chicken liver pate. However, my BG this morning is 6.7 (121). Not terribly high but considering I run at around 4.5 to 5.0 quite high for me. No worries, it will be back to normal by tomorrow. One mouthful of cake can cause damage.

Still not feeling very well, full of cold but cough is subsiding, going to have a duvet day.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Sorry for the delay in posting. I had my last major blow-out of the week last night, so I thought I’d wait for all the bad weight news and get it out of the way at once. I have been to numerous celebratory events in recent days, but there’s good news and bad news. The good news is I’ve stayed the same at 80.4 kg. The bad news is that I’m up on my mid-week reading of 79.9 kg.Even so, I’m dead chuffed at not gaining over the week. In fact, I’m totally amazed! When I weighed myself, I was expecting at least another kilo and wouldn’t have been surprised if it had been more.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi sunshine-girl, sorry to hear you’re not feeling on top form, but am really jealous at the idea of a duvet day. I could do with one of those!

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hello to one and all,

Late posting again, sorry, the last couple of Tuesdays haven’t been conducive to nice long browsing on the computer.

My seat on this sleigh, not that I know much about sleighs living in snowless Perth ;), must be directly over a dodgy runner as I’ve been bouncing up and down rather violently. Monday weight was 62.3kg, Tuesday 62.8, today (Wednesday) was 62.0kg. Tuesday was the highest I’ve been for several weeks. Today’s weight was actually a mini milestone but I’m not claiming it until I see the next couple of day’s figures. I had a delicious lunch out today with a great group of women friends, and while I certainly ate less that I might have previously, there was not much BSD about it and my weight in the morning may reflect that. We’ll see.

Congrats to all those rightly celebrating their successes. More to come, and I’ll dig out my screwdriver to fix that dodgy sleigh runner….

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Captainlynne – I have had two caesarean sections also, so maybe there isn’t much hope for me in that area there. 20 inches from your waist is awesome. It will be very interesting to see if any further weight loss comes of your waist. Lately I seem to have lost some from my feet because my shoes are looser – it is strange because my feet didn’t look fat to start with.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl – so interesting about your blood sugars. Quite scary that one mouthful of cake could make such a difference. I am also finding that if I have loads more protein than normal my after meal blood sugars are higher than usual.

I dashed down to my local Co-op yesterday to get some cream and a very small pot of clotted cream jumped out of the fridge into my basket. In the past – if it had been doughnuts that had jumped into my basket – they would have been long gone. But this little pot will last for a few days as I am eating it one delicious indulgent teaspoonful at a time on top of my fage. It must be that the high fat stuff isn’t addictive like the carbs (unless of course you add it to wheat and sugar).

• posted by captainlynne
    on

KrysiaD – I’ve had to throw shoes (and my favourite Fitflops) away because they are now too big.

I don’t wear rings now, but know that sometimes they need to be re-sized after weight loss!

Oh, and my watch strap is also much looser than it was!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Ah-Oh sleigh riders, I just saw an article stating that brussel sprouts are in danger of not being available for the UK Christmas table!! Horreurs! Apparently there is some sneaky diamondback moth that is devastating the BS crop and so for those folks who want them, I guess get them early and for those folks who don’t partake, you got an early Christmas present!
    Hope all else is well with everyone — I was tempted yesterday by a plate of mixed Christmas cookies at Tahoe House Bakery, all wrapped up in fresh red bow and a bit of fir tree greenery on top but after looking at them longingly (for a LONG time), I managed to remind myself that they would just make me sad in the end and i dragged myself over to the counter and ordered a tuna salad.
    I hurt my knee last week running before I was really warmed up and I am at Tahoe, but I cannot ski, and it is really frustrating. There’s a new swim center, so I went to water aerobics which was OK but left me freezing! I was thinking of hiking up a long hill today, but I want my knee back so I can go back to my usual activities!
    JMarie41, your husband sounds like mine, lots of travel — is he in the tech industry? Is that how you came across the BSD? I found the book while we were transiting through London Heathrow on business — I still remember thinking about whether or not to buy it because I was embarrassed — best decision I made in years!
    Have a great day all! โ€ฆ”I hear the sleigh bells ringing’โ€ฆcome on its lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with youโ€ฆ”

• posted by tigs
    on

Love it that the changes are being noticed by my work colleagues. Yesterday…”even your butt looks smaller!” (my biggest asset haha).

Another whoosh on the scales today and 10.5kg down (since I started, not overnight :)). Interestingly the waist has stayed the same for about 3 weeks, but there must be other body shape changes going on.

I have had to learn to be very patient with the way I lose weight – I can sit at the same weight and even increase for days at a time. However, I keep reminding myself, it’s not all about weight loss…

Have a great day/evening all xx

on

Krysia, I cant think what else would do it. I have only eaten any carb once (I got to a zumba class and felt faint so had a breakfast cereal bar – low cal of course). A lady from Lebanon, used to be a patissiere, made beautiful millefeuille, layers of nuts, seeds and honey in between filo pastry topped with icing. She served them in bite size pieces, even so, I just took a small bite but it was 100% sugar. I am also suffering with a cough and cold so maybe that contributes. You never know with BG but it means I wont be testing that out again.

Funny thing is I would have done anything for a 120 reading 5 months ago. Then my BG was 190 dropping to 135 after just one week on BSD.

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Great place to be on this thread yet again reading the posts have helped me through a rather odd day.

I woke feeling really positive. Got through to lunch, enjoyed my Brussel sprout slaw etc. Then my emotions took took a nose dive. Craving carbs one minute then felt good again. Has happened all afternoon and evening. Been a real rollercoaster. At times I’ve thought I cant be bothered, then I think about how good it feels just to be a few pounds lighter (which incidentally, I am after week 1).

I have been taking the whole of the week one day at a time and I’m pleased to say I got through the day so…

Day 7 completed โœ…

I want to wake positive tomorrow but at this exact moment in time the thought if another week doesn’t feel good.

I’m in awe of all you guys who are on week 4…8…28 or even 52! I take my hat off. One week feels like a major achievement. Problem is I now want to reward myself…with naughty food.

I just hope that this time tomorrow I can post another tick for completing day 8. I suppose I need to keep thinking one day at a time, or as someone on another thread said, one meal at a time.

A good sleep will do me good now I think!!

Once again well done to all that have lost and maintained. Fab ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Nedds mum you sound as if you are experiencing very similar feelings to me at the end of week one; the thought of continuing distressed me to the point of almost giving up, I dealt with it by allowing myself a few extra calories for a few days (probably having around 1000 per day total) rather than hitting the carbs. It may or may not have slowed down the losses, but I have lost weight each week. The can’t cope feeling passed quickly and very soon I began to feel amazing and continue to do so.

Don’t worry it DOES get easier and easier and eventually becomes the norm. I can’t imagine having a carby binge now, I did have an emotional food fest a week ago but it was all low carb things like nuts and cheeses!

Chin up, you won’t regret sticking with it!

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Thank you daisies mum. That really helps. I stayed off the carbs today but may have hit 1000 calories.
    I’ll persevere. Thx again

• posted by Natalie
    on

It’s a dangerous time of the month for me and I’m not handling it well. But I’m still here, hanging on to the back of the sleigh. I went to a cafe for breakfast and ordered bacon and French toast. Terrible choice. Luckily the syrup was revolting, so I only ate the bacon and a couple of bites of sweet spiced nasty toast.

I read an article about the artificial sweetener aspartame in New Scientist today. They tested rats on a high fat diet, ones with aspartame added got a lot fatter than ones with just the high fat food. And with rats on a low-fat diet, the ones given aspartame developed insulin resistance (heading for diabetes) and the ones without aspartame didn’t. So, in rats at least (or maybe it was mice) the fake sweetener was bad no matter what you combined it with. I’ve always said real sugar is healthier than the fake stuff, nowadays I guess I have to just say they are both bad.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 3 ….. WEEK 3

Hi everyone

Looks like we have an almost full house, or should that be sleigh, again. It’s so good to see so many people ‘keep on keeping on’ when times are sometimes less than easy. That’s the mark of a ‘winner’ . Nobody needs to be a saint but being a winner at the end of the day is great because the prize is so worthwhile!

I have started to think about my goals for 2017. I have a birthday later this month and I think that at birthdays you often look back over the year and make wishes for the coming one. I have decided what my goals are but I’m not declaring until closer to the New Year.

I agree with Daisiesmum Nedds mum. It does get easier and I think once you get past the first 8 weeks you start to think of it as a way of life. I’m planning on having a few ‘treats’ over xmas …. a small roast potato, a little stuffing and some pudding. But you know as it gets nearer I’m not sure I will actually want/like/need them!!!! Once your taste buds change and you get to prefer sprouts to cupcakes you now you’ve made it!!!

Sorry I can’t respond to all posts individually but am reading about all the trials, tribulations and successes we’re all experiencing …. as sunshine-girl says ‘KEEP ON KEEPING ON’!!!

Have a good day.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Natalie – very interesting info about sweeteners in New Scientist. In the past I used sweeteners – then I decided that sugar was safer and healthier. Of course I now know they are both bad. Glucose fructose syrup is even worse than sugar and I always make sure we buy marmalade made only with fruit and sugar not glucose fructose syrup which is even worse for your liver than sugar – if that is possible. I hasten to add that this is only for my husband to put on his homemade bread (he isn’t totally on BSD).

Nedds mum – 1000 calories with low carbs won’t derail the BSD. I agree with Daisiesmum – I can’t imagine having a carby binge now either and turn to nuts and cheese and peanut butter if I need to. Looking at this one day at a time is a really good strategy – and it will get easier.

Sunshine-girl, the Millefeuille sounds like just the sort of thing that I would have loved to eat pre BSD. I am not surprised that it affected your b.s. as it was pure sugar. I think you are in the same boat as me. By the time you are on insulin your pancreas is in quite a bad way and will take a lot longer to recover than someone with pre diabetes or recently diagnosed T2.

Although I am off the insulin I feel my pancreas needs all the help I can give it – lots of nutritious and very delicious low carb food and a regime to build lean muscle mass. At the moment I don’t think it would be able to cope with even one mouthful of sugary carbs.

Have added ground flaxseed this week to boost my fibre intake. With the Chia seeds, Inulin, nuts and vegetables I am achieving an impressive amount of fibre each day. Have recently noticed that my vision seems sharper in low light conditions – I see contrasts and colours more clearly. It must be the cumulative effect of eating healthily for all these months. Although you know that lots of good things are happening unseen in your body – it is good to get confirmation of this.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Wonderful moment tonight while I was braiding my daughter’s hair for gymnastics – she mentioned that she had learned at school that fat wasn’t bad for you but sugar was!! Fantastic! It’s filtering down to the education system (she’s in yr 7).

on

That is good to hear Natalie, you should read my thread on the Future Learn course I am doing, all good news there for teaching medical people about this diet.

My BG back down to 5.5 today, if you stick with the plan things soon get back to where we want them. That gives me some hope for Christmas, so if I do eat a few carbs and have a high reading it will only take days to be back on track. My weight is the same this morning so I have still lost since Tuesday and will weigh in formally this coming Tuesday.

We go back to the UK on the 20th so was surprised when I did my shopping this morning (always Thursday as I am retired and Fridays in the supermarket are a nightmare) anyway, there is only one shop left for me before we go back to the UK, so only 2 weigh ins. Have a good day everyone.

• posted by CosmicGoddess
    on

After two weeks on the plan, things are not going too well and I’m not sure how to rectify it……Last Saturday evening, I made the decision to take the calculated risk and enjoy the evening at the seasonal German Market, ate a bratwurst sausage in a crusty roll and had a few glasses of cider. On Sunday, I went straight back on the plan and yet, what was in essence, one meal, seems to have completely destroyed ALL of the good work of my first week!!! On Monday morning, when I weighed myself, I was pretty much the same weight that I started with, on Thursday two weeks ago, having put on the 1.5 kg I had lost. I have been super focused this week and stuck to the plan 100% and kept up all of my exercise and walking. I have managed to lose a bit of weight, but weigh 200 grams more than when I weighed in last Thursday (Thursday is my weigh-in day). So instead of losing weight this week, I have gained and I won’t meet the pre-Christmas target I set myself. In the first week, I could literally feel the weight falling off me and this week, it has felt ‘stuck’ and I have felt really bloated and actually had quite a lot of stomach upset and cramps…….

Any tips on how to get this going again and maybe even speed it all up a little so that I can reach the target I set myself would be very much appreciated (I now want to lose 3kg before Christmas)….or just even close will keep me happy.

Also, what does this episode teach me? Can I never enjoy a ‘normal’ meal again or drink alcohol again? Or should I at least just accept that while I am trying to lose the weight, I must 100% do the plan and never have a meal or day off (which will make Christmas Day awkward)? I know that there is a wealth of experience and guidance on here and I value all advice that you may have….

Cheers

on

Hi CosmicGoddess. You have hit this wall because you have only been on the plan for 2 weeks. I have been on for 5 months yet when I decided to ‘taste’ a sweet cake at a party it sent my BG up immediately. However, because I have been reducing my BG over the months the increase was proportionate. I’ll give you an example. When I started my fasting BG was 190, after 2 weeks I was down to 135, if I had eaten like my before BSD just for one day my BG might have gone back up to 180 or 190 and taken me another 2 weeks to get back to 135. Because I have been doing this for so long and have a regular BG of 85 or 90 my little treat put my BG up to 120, so from 85 to 120 is quite a lot. However, because I went straight back on even the same day I was able to reduce back down to 99 after 2 days. Can you see what I am getting at. With your weight, you body has not got used to the diet so a big slip like cider and crusty bread roll and the bratwurst (very high in calories and bad fats) yes you can undo all the good work. If you had been doing this diet for, say, 8 weeks and had lost say, 20 lbs, a 1.5 lb or 2 lb gain would not have been a disaster. You have hardly started so not surprisingly your body quickly took up the signals to put back what you had lost.

I hope that is not too complicated, I know I am mixing BG and weight but on this plan the results are connected. Here is what you should do, 2 choices. Get back on the plan today and hopefully lose 5 or 6 lbs before Christmas OR forget about it until after Christmas and come back full of determination. I personally would take the first option, knowing full well I will probably gain 4 or 5 lbs over Christmas but will be started in January at the same weight I am now. Or in January I might have an extra 4 or 5 lbs to lose. I don’t know anything about you or your motivation or your health so it is hard for me to say. I know you want to lose 3kg by Christmas as that is a lot to lose in 2 weeks and 2 days (again, unless you are very overweight). however, on this plan it is possible so it is up to you.

Tripping up is not the end of the world so take a deep breath, think about what you want and just go for it. Hope I havent been too harsh on you.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

CosmicGoddess
    You absolutely have not destroyed all the good work you did in your first week. To do that you would have had to have thought ‘oh s*d it – I have ruined it all now and might as well go and have a carb fest’. But you didn’t – you went straight back on the BSD and continued your exercise. Congratulations by the way for doing that.

I have been on the BSD since May and I have noticed (and you will find lots of posts from people on this forum which say the same) that the scales do not always reflect your hard work straight away but the weight suddenly drops a few days later.

You could think that you did a 6.1 for this week. 6 days 800 and one day slightly off plan. You could think the same for Christmas day. Your one crusty roll and a few ciders in 2 weeks isn’t going to stop you losing weight but I do sympathise with the stomach cramps and bloating it has caused. This is quite normal when you re-introduce the white stuff. It does make you think that perhaps this stuff isn’t that good for us.

Also – it depends what your definition of a ‘normal meal’. Is a meal crammed with starchy sugary carbs really normal? This way of eating really does start to make you question your food choices.

Just keep on as you are and the weight does drop off – the plan really does work. A couple of things that helped me is making sure I keep to under 50g carbs and recording everything on Fat Secret – a UK site. Some people use My Fitness Pal.

Good Luck.

Su

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

CosmicGoddess
    I am with Sunshine-girl – I would go with her first option and keep on the BSD until Christmas then deal with any weight gain from Christmas as soon as it is over.

Sunshine-girl girl – I have been trying the ‘short walks after meals help control blood sugars in T2s’ recommended by the New Zealand uni. Have you tried it?

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Thanks Krysia and verano

Good advice.
    So far so good today.
    Taking one meal at a time.

Cosmic goddess – hope you have found the advice helpful. The guys on here are soooo great. I take it all on board and has helped me stay on the straight and narrow.
    Am only on day 8 though.
    2 weeks is fab. Well done.

• posted by Verano
    on

CosmicGoddess

Firstly, great to have you back on this forum, that’s you first and most important step to carrying on.

I agree with all of the above. The only time you fail is when you fail to continue. If it helps just take one day at a time as Nedds mum is at the moment. Don’t worry too much about the scales because it does work in the end. I try and set up 4 week challenges because it doesn’t seem as daunting as 8 but it’s something to aim for. Having the support of everybody else keeps me on the straight and narrow. Without my ‘friends’ here I’m sure I’d have given up ages ago.

Just ‘keep keeping on’ as sunshine-girl would say!

Glad your BG is back down sunshine-girl.

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Ha verano
    Posting at same time there.
    Great minds and all that!
    I am indeed taking one meal at a time. Cosmic goddess – this helps me. Sometimes I can feel that just one day is daunting let lone 8 weeks.

Verano – Really like the fact you break the plan into 4 weeks (although for me it’s 3) hope you do something similar on here after the festive season.
    Huge huge support. Thank you. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Oh dear, my first attempt at eating out was ….er, fun. I was enjoying a day Christmas shopping when I started feeling a bit weak (most likely dehydration) so I stepped into the store’s cafe for a snack… or so I thought, there was nothing BSD friendly on offer (or rather I didn’t want to pay ยฃ4.50 for a sarni and only get to eat a slice of Turkey!) so I had a cup of coffee with cream (yum) and resorted to buying a pack of meat & bottle of water from a nearby supermarket and retreating to my car to eat! Note to self: always have BSD friendly snacks in your bag. He he he ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by CosmicGoddess
    on

sunshine-girl and KrysiaD….Thank you both for your comments, they have helped to clear everything up and put it all in perspective. I was feeling a bit flat about it all but not completely demotivated but now do feel raring to go again and all fired up. I definitely want to keep going on with this plan before Christmas as it will serve as damage limitation for the day. It makes sense that with the small amount I had lost, it was easy to (sort of) regain it with one slip up. On the bright side, I am still more than a kilo lighter than I was when I started this 2 weeks ago, so at least it is going the right way…..

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Good morning from (disastrous) rainy California — our snow is being melted as I type — the weather forecast is for rain all the way to 9000 feet which is higher than most of Lake Tahoe.
    Natalie — thanks for the info on fake sugar — I have read several things about how bad it is. I have tried to give it up completely but sometimes I buy big, ice-filled cups of Diet Pepsi on really hot days. I know I must give it up completely so I appreciate the further incentive to do so.
    Neddsmum — good solid going and getting to day 8!! I remember your earlier difficulties so it is so good to see you doing well! And now you are the support for others. Well done you.
    Cosmic Goddess — sounds like you are doing better. I agree with all the good advice and I have one further thought to add — I have said this before but it bears repeating — we are too quick to evaluate and bring our critical brains into play, probably because we are trained to evaluate and act. I strongly recommend putting your smart critical brain on hold for just the eight weeks that you are currently doing. Don’t evaluate if it is “working”, don’t even weigh so much because that gets your critical brain fired up. Just follow the diet and stay calm like Captainlynne says — you are going to find that the diet will start to really work and the ups and downs will not derail you. Use a tape measure to keep track and use smaller things like, are you sleeping better, are you feeling full after a small amount of food, is your skin clearer, etc.. to evaluate what is really going on physically. It will encourage you to listen to your body too — something all of us had trouble doing before the BSD. You are going to amaze yourself in a very short time!

• posted by tigs
    on

Morning/evening all

Great stories and wisdom here!

Nedds mum a special shout out to you. I am impressed with your pushing through one day at a time. You are doing well even though it has been hard work at times. Keep strong. Those ‘one day’s all add up bit by bit and you will find it easier soon.

CosmicGoddess, get back on the sleigh ๐Ÿ™‚ Even this time before Christmas will help you set up the BSD way of doing things so it becomes easier. And after the Big Event, you can get straight back on plan. Every day counts for the weight loss and health benefits and we all experience those ups and downs. I personally have done the whole of 10+ weeks with Friday night off (after fasting all day) and worked fine for me.

Daisiesmum, you deserve an award for being so strong when you felt a bit wobbly. Well done! Yes, a few almonds or such in the handbag at all times is a lifesaver. I have done the same.

Verano I cheering for you. You are doing a grand job of convening and corralling us. Also though, looking out for you. Hoping each day is focused and that you are forging through. Keep on keeping on ๐Ÿ™‚

Today is my Friday fast day, then people to dinner so I do have a night off without going silly.

xx

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Thank you California girl and tigs.

This is why I’m benefitting so much from this thread/forum.

Great morning, tricky afternoon but continuing on the one meal at a time. Think I’ll do it today despite my negativity last night. I’m one day closer to 2 weeks!

I’ve taken on board the eating slightly more calories rather than carbs and I will only weigh Myself just before Xmas. Also family illness is still a problem but someone said to me not long a go that I do need to accept the way things are. I’m not able to change it. Shall see how it goes.

During my 2 previous failed attempts on the BSD I weighed myself more and become really down if I hadnt lost or even maintained. What with this and hospital daily hospital visits, it all got a bit much.

I have no idea how much I have lost but I just feel it in my clothes. If I maintain in week 2 and 3 I’ll be none the wiser when I weigh on 22nd December. (End of my first 3 weeks)

That’s the plan anyway.

on

Hi Krysia, I have just had a look at the NZ research and will try going for a walk each day. Although I generally do around 40 mins of exercise 5 times a week anyway. In summer I probably do around 90 mins every day as I swim twice and day, sometimes 3 times if it gets really hot. Winter is my difficult time as I cant swim (although I still 2 30 min sessions at the local pool) I do aerobics from a DVD but sometimes find it difficult to get motivated. Adding an extra 10 mins a day cant do any harm so I might be getting 50 mins daily.

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Great working out there sunshine girl. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi all. Not posted for a few days, work’s been crackers! Absolutely shattered but clinging into the sleigh for dear life. Good to read your posts. Will actually contribute properly once the weekend is here. For now I’m heading to my pit. Night all ๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’‹

Please log in or register to post a reply.