Staying with relatives the Easter weekend? Tips?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by liviebutton
    on

So I’m going away this weekend to stay with relatives, luckily with my mum who is also on the diet. We won’t be indulging in chocolate but there are a few other things that might clash with the diet.

Firstly breakfast. The relatives normally have cereal or toast, we thought we might bring our poached egg device to solve that problem.

Lunch there is normally potato salad and barbecue or sandwiches.

Dinner is either a barbecue/pizza from their favorite local Italian restaurant or from the pub.

I realize we won’t be able to completely control the diet on the weekend, but any tips would be awesome!

• posted by Shadow2
    on

I often have the same problem when I go to family and it does make it quite difficult. Luckily our family have bacon and eggs and sausages at weekend for breakfast so that fits in very well with our diet. I usually take a tin of sardines, full fat cottage cheese or cream cheese and walnuts and make a dip to have with carrots or celery. If it was a barbecue I would have meat and make sure I have some salad then you are not tempted to have potatoes. When I have been for a pub meal I have told the waitress that I don’t eat potatoes and could I please have more vegetables and most of the time it has been no problem. I have not been to an Italian restaurant yet but would probably go for a vegetarian option. Hope this helps.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi liviebutton
    As you’ll be staying with your Mum, might it be possible to take a few goodies with you and just explain casually, that you’re on a diet and it’s been going well, so you brought along some of the foods on your diet, so that you don’t deviate too much over the w/e. I’d have thought as she is on a diet herself, she would be sympathetic. And if you do end up with pizza, just have a slice or two to keep the impact as low as possible.
    Most important is to enjoy your family’s company and if you do end up having to eat things you’d prefer not eating, there’s always next week to get yourself back on track.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi liviebutton
    Just do your best to stay low carb and if you do have any transgressions, well, Tuesday is the first day of the rest of your life so just jump back on board and it’s business as usual.

Please log in or register to post a reply.