Starting Week 3 after a tough Week 2 ….

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Have managed to stick with the 800 BSD for two whole weeks now and am starting in on Week 3. Week one went fine – no issues sticking to the 800 calories and seeing a little progress on the scales almost every day, dropping a total of 4lb in the week. However, week two proved to be a real struggle, with no evidence of any progress on the scales for almost the entire week, with 2lb lost towards the very end. Have been keeping a log of everything consumed and calculated the calories everyday, but it has been really hard to stay motivated and focussed, have managed to stick with it though.

When I did my stats this morning, it would seem that the 2lb I did lose last week was mainly from my waist, as it was a full inch smaller, which can only be to the good. I am hoping this week will not be as difficult and there will be steadier progress through the week. Am very aware that I need to move around more to help burn calories and drop pounds, but this is my ‘bete noire’ and my main area of poor motivation. I am trying to find small ways in which to increase my activity, without making too big a deal of it.

Has anyone else had a tough time in the second or third week and do you have any advise or tips? I’m determined to keep going, but it would help to know how others are managing.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi sunnyb, Michael mosley does say the first two weeks are the most difficult so stick in there. An inch of your waist is a magnificent result. Would you have expected such a result before starting this diet? Keep going ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Spirit
    on

Hi sunnyb,

Yes week 2 and 3 I stalled pretty much completely despite sticking to the letter of the diet. It was very frustrating.

I read that Jenny Rhule book (ยฃ3 on kindle) which explains why stalling happens on low carb diets. I made a few changes to my diet. some quite drastic and I wouldn’t advocate anyone else do it – i cut back for a few days on cals, about 2-3– a day. that got things moving a bit!

Stick with it, you will come out the other side smiling.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thank you to both Hishimoto and Spirit for the encouragement -much needed and much appreciated. I am determined to see the diet through and already know it will result in a long term change in my eating habits. I feel more vital and sleep better, although I find I need to get to bed earlier than before.

It is comforting to know that the stalling is normal and that things will begin to move in the right direction again. I’ll keep a tight reign on the calories and look forward to some more positive results soon.

• posted by ChannelK
    on

Hi Sunnyb, I’ve had pretty similar except I’m a week on from you. Apart from week 1, I’ve essentially been losing 2lbs a week. 9lbs in total so far. Like you, I’m losing inches off my waist which has helped me for motivation. At one stage I wondered if I wasn’t eating or drinking enough and maybe that was stalling things so I have increased fat intake and am trying to drink 2 litres of water (plus cups of tea) each day. I am finding I’m really missing something bread-like that tastes decent as I’m not loving the coconut flour option. If you have any suggestions, I’d love them! I’m trying to keep in mind it’s impossible not to lose weight on 800cals a day and the food I’m eating is very healthy so it is all ultimately only a good thing keeping blood sugar stable (in my case) even if weight loss feels slower than mentioned in the book. So no great suggestions except ‘one day at a time’, and I understand where you’re at. I’ve actually found it helpful to read the forums and know that others are also experiencing similar things. Keep at it!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi ChannelK – thank you for the encouragement. You are right, losing inches does help to keep one motivated and also that on just 800 calories a day, one can’t help but lose weight, even if it doesn’t happen as quickly as hoped. It is helpful knowing that I’m not the only person encountering these issues and that others have found the same stumbling blocks.

Sorry, can’t help with the bread thing, as I rarely ate bread so don’t really miss it. I made some of the cheesy coconut flour scones, which I found to be quite pleasant, but they do have a definite coconut flavour. If I discover any possible bread substitutes, I’ll post it here for you.

Meanwhile I will continue to be careful to log everything I consume and that way I’m sure the pounds will drop at some point. As you say, one day at a time – and to be honest, I can’t believe that I’m into week three already!

• posted by M.
    on

Hi all
    I am just starting my third week after a hard week too! I had been on a diet since January 1st and lost 14 lbs. then 15 days ago I started the 800 a-day.Following it to the letter: I lost 7lb in the first week! Wow!……. and then nothing the second week. 0. Not even 1/2lb.
    it has been very good to read the mails above. encouraging to keep going and hold the faith!
    good luck everyone for a better week three and four and five…….. M.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi M
    Sorry to hear your second week was a negative on weight lose. It seems week 2 can be a bit of a stumbling block – I certainly struggled to stay focused on the goal, when I was repeatedly seeing a lack of progress. I am sort of expecting that to be the case in week three too, so I am not stressing about seeing the scales defying my effort this time. After all, eating just 800 cals a day, has to result in weight lose eventually.

Try to stay positive and stick with it, I’m sure you will see positive results soon. Good luck for week three – especially to those that struggled in week two as well.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi channel k
    Have you tried the gram flour flat bread?
    Penny

• posted by FluffySlippers
    on

Hi All
    I’m glad I’m not the only one! After week one where I was strict about the low carb/low GI but a little loose about the calories, I was thrilled to lose 3 kgs! (approx 6 lbs?). Feeling lots of energy, no problems with hunger or feeling deprived. So I cut back to a strict 800 calories for the next 4 days, and stalled! Still have lots of energy and no hunger, but Day 12 now, I’ve increased my activity and water intake, and no movement on scales or measurements. It is very discouraging. Is there anyone who similarly stalled but then accelerated again?

I’m worried that if I don’t lose weight fast I’m not going to lose the fat around my organs and get the full benefits of the BSD.

What is the “expected/average” weight loss trendline?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Loads of people have had a plateau Fluffyslippers.
    It’s not the diet, more a body readjustment. Stick with it, on 800 cals you have got to lose weight, it will start up again.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Don’t despair, fluffyslippers, I’ve had times where my weight stalled for a few days and suddenly 2 or 3 lbs would come off overnight. Keep going gal, you Will get the weight loss ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi fluffyslippers

I was stuck for almost the entire week last week, but right at the end dropped 2lb and an whole inch from my waist. This week, I am not worrying quite so much about not seeing the scales progress downwards every day, as you can’t fail to lose the weight eventually, if you are sticking to the 800 cals. Stay with it, as the collective wisdom is it will happen and plateaus have to be expected and endured – good luck!

• posted by Bruno
    on

I’m in week 5. So far I’ve lost 23 pounds. Really pleased with the results. My plan is to lose 5 stones. The hardest bit I’ve found is lunchtime as I’m a sales rep and in the car Monday to Friday. I get around that by taking the “ploughmans” lunch option. There have been times when I’ve not stuck exactly to recipes as I don’t have time or maybe don’t have all the ingredients. You get to know what you can and can’t eat. Got another 4 weeks and hopefully lose another stone or so. Then I’ll switch to a Mediterranean style diet and get out on my bike and back to being slim …. can’t wait !

• posted by Marinecole
    on

Hi fellow BSD’s
    I won’t bore you about me, it’s on my profile.
    Thought I would give you my view on blood sugar reduction and weight loss.
    Couple of weeks ago discovered I was creeping into prediabetic range (6.2), also being overweight thought I would try this diet out for two weeks ( starting weight 15st 2lbs).
    It has been a complete revalation to me, I am on day 10, been very strict and very active.
    As a result I have a fasting blood sugar of 5.6 and lost 15lbs to date and I feel fine ( have had a couple of crappy days).
    All my exercise is conducted at a fat burn heart rate, for me is from about 95 to 115 BPM.
    I am sure there is a lot of water in this loss, but my calculations point toward a 10lb loss of fat.
    Other than exercise and calorie control, I am lucky enough to be doing this with my wife, she has done 8lbs (not as active and lower weight)
    We plan to follow that Mediterranean style diet after the weekend, with a ratio of 80% good and 20% not so good.
    The reasons for this post is to help support and encourage readers of your thread. Hope you don’t mind my input (especially as a newby).
    Finally I want add observations regarding post diet realities
    Thanks

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi marinecole, welcome, have you been following the 800 calories diet for long? My diet post 8 week 800 calories will be to continue with the diet until a bit more weight drops off and then follow it but on a higher calorie rate. I don’t intend to go back to starchy foods. The recipes are delicious as they are!! A totally doable eating plan!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Bruno, I find making a frittata on an evening is a big help. You could make it with four eggs and veg of your choice, cut it in two and hey presto 2 days lunches which are easy to handle and eat in the car if you have to. Same is true of the courgette bhajis I posted on this site.
    Fantastic results by the way!!!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Marinecole
    why would we object to you posting those fantastic results, your input is more than welcome.
    It all goes to encourage and motivate all the newbies. You may only write a post once but God only knows how many times it gets read and by how many people.
    Your post may be the final thing that pushes another sufferer into a life saving way of eating.
    Congtatulations BTW, Look forward to seeing how you do on The med diet, don’t be a stranger.

• posted by Bruno
    on

Thanks for that, I’ll give it a try.

• posted by ChannelK
    on

Hi Penny
    Thanks for the gram flour flatbread tip. What is it and is it easily findable? Definitely still searching for a suitable bread alternative. Have even started googling low carb bread options in desperation! I’m currently making the courgette and tarragon soup recipe and would love some sort of bread to dunk with it. Sigh. โ˜บ. Onwards and upwards..

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi channelk, hope you don’t mind me jumping in here, there is a recipe for chickpea flour flatbreads and one for coconut flat breads on this web site, just look for the recipes tab at the top of the page ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by ChannelK
    on

Hey Hashimoto, thanks for that. Not loving the coconut flour so my attempts at the flatbreads haven’t been that successful! I nearly succumbed to buying rye bread the other day but somehow managed not to. Weirdly I think I’m missing the texture more than anything. Each week brings an unexpected challenge (this is week 4 for me) so maybe this week it’s dealing with my love of bread!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi channelk the chickpea flour ones are more like indian flat breads, i like experimenting with adding seeds and spices ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by ChannelK
    on

Hi Hashimoto, I haven’t tried chickpea flour just coconut flour so I shall give them a go. Its all lots trial and error isn’t it? โ˜บ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi channelk it is trial and error and a steep learning curve but it does get easier and you will soon have a lot of favourite recipes to keep you fit and healthy for life ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Channelk
    It’s in the recipes posted on here. Scroll to the bottom of the forum, you ll find recipes. Tap ‘all recipes’ (at the bottom below the new recipes) and you should find it somewhere there.
    BTW I imagine soya flour would work as well.
    Penny

• posted by Marinecole
    on

Hi again
    Thanks for positive comments
    To add my pennyworth re meals, has anyone tried cook in the bag recipes. I had Mediterranean chicken, total of 350 cals including sweet potatoe wedges.
    Found when time is short, it is really handy.
    Made the hummus ( pea and mint) wasn’t to keen.
    Fish recipes are working really well.
    I do not know where my appetite has gone, has anyone else found that their desire to eat has lessened.
    Finally, the mention of Rye bread, I have eaten a couple of slices (organic) when brunching and found it really filling ( still kept within 800)
    Regular BS fasting checks have confirmed a slow continual fall
    All in all everything good, from Saturday changing to “Good food 14 day healthy diet” which basically Mediterranean just more calories.
    Total weight loss 15lbs to date, probably 1 more by Saturday.
    Will update next week how things go.
    This a good thread and very informative
    Cheers and we’ll done all, support is vital
    M

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Marinecole
    I think everyones appetite has lessened
    If you make your digestive system work hard on the fats and complex carbs in the diet, it doesn’t have time to make you feel hungry.
    Best of luck on the maintainence plan, let us know how you get on.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I have certainly experienced a reduction in appetite and whatever the reason for that, I am grateful. Previous diets have had me reaching for snacks to stave off pangs, but there’s none of that on the BSD – at least not for me. I’m well into week three now, but still on a bit of a plateau – only dropped a pound so far this week. Determined to stay with it though, as I am feeling so much healthier on this diet and don’t want to screw it up.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi SunnyB the scales will show a drop in weight when you least expect it!!! And a pound lost is far better than nothing at all! I thought weight loss would slow very quickly but after 8 weeks I still lose weight in fits and starts. Keep with it!! You’re doing brill! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Hashimoto – thanks for the encouragement. It does get to be bit of a struggle when there is no obvious progress being made, but I know sticking with it is the best way forward and I really want to see it through. Helps to have some support and kind words though!

• posted by Lolo
    on

Hi everyone,
    Well done everyone on their weight loss. Really helpful to be reading this thread. I am in week 4 and have only dropped 2.5lbs over the previous 1.5 weeks… Topping that, I also haven’t lost any inches around my waist! I have been loosing from my thighs, bum and boobs!! *sigh* However it has to eventually start coming off again and from my waist, right?! Been helpful to read these posts. Thanks x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Lolo – the general wisdom is that if you are sticking to the 800 cals it will happen. I am almost at the end of week 3 now and so far this week, I’m down 1lb. I’m not stressing about it though, ‘cos I feel better and my body is looking less bulky, which will keep me going until more pounds drop. Losing inches any where shows something must be happening, so use that to keep positive and motivated, the rest will follow I’m sure.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi ChannelK
    Another option is gram flour drop scones ( scotch pancakes) Make them the same as ordinary drop scones but use gram flour. Very nice. Filling.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi ChannelK
    Re gram flour drop scones – no sugar of course – I use 80 g gram flour, an egg, 50 ml soya milk. Stir it a lot. Drop spoonfuls onto oiled frying pan. Turn over when bubbles appear.
    That’s it.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Lolo
    You could try counting your carbs ( you can do it on Myfitnesspal) if you’re not because it’s the low carbs that makes the waist reduce. Maybe you need to go lower?
    Good luck with it.
    Penny

• posted by ChannelK
    on

Hi Penny, cheers for the gram flour tip. I’m going to try the scones recipe. Sounds a good option!

• posted by ChannelK
    on

Lol and Sunnyb, me too! About to finish week 4 and 1lb loss in the last week. Frustrating as I’m sure that must just be the calorie deficit rather than any fat burning stuff going on. I’m trying to work out what I might be doing differently to others. I’m not eating any starchy carbs, am eating veggies and berries, yoghurt, fish, chicken, eggs, all the right stuff apparently and pretty strict. Could it be that I’m still having milk in my tea, could it be that I’m now eating too much fat, not enough water, not enough generally? Aargh.. On the plus side, I feel well and haven’t generally felt hungry (although have had a few hunger pangs in the last few days) and blood sugar is fine (thankfully ). I’m starting to wonder how I’ll be able to maintain the weight loss if I’m not particularly losing weight on 800cals. Generally I’ve thought just keep going one day at a time but today feels tougher. Hm.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Lolo, Sunnyb and Channelk,
    It seems to be quite common that weight loss plateaus somewhere in weeks 2-4. Lots of people posting on other threads about it.
    Then a week later they’re posting losses again. So hang in there and just keep going. You’ll soon see the pounds melting away again.
    Milk in your tea, or extra fat than usual won’t hurt if you stay within your allowance. If you’re eating 800 cals or close enough and keeping carbs low, you’ve got to lose weight sooner or later. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for the supportive message Cherrianne. Not seeing progress on weight loss can be very disheartening and it’s tough staying focussed when nothing seems to be happening.

ChannelK – I understand your frustration. I had a couple of days last week, when the lack of movement on the scales left me feeling flat and struggling to stay with it. The trick is to shift your mind set. You know you are doing the right thing with the diet and that weight loss eventually has to happen at 800 cals a day. So somehow you have to find a way to accept there will be days when nothing positive seems to be happening; to make up your mind that you are on the right track and stay determined to see it through – and actually, what is the alternative? Is that any more attractive an option?

Have you tried any mindfulness exercises? This could be the time to use something like that, to help you to stay focussed on the journey you are on.

Good Luck….

• posted by Lolo
    on

I bring good news BSD buddies!
    I am in week 5 and this morning a momentous thing happened – I reached my first weightloss goal! 2.5lbs came off (literally overnight!) and I have lost 15lbs in just over 4 weeks. This is the lightest I have been in at least 4 years I think!
    Really pleased I stuck with it – and thanks for all the helpful messages – it is genuinely really great to re-evaluate and hear all your hints and tips.
    I’d definitely say for anyone hitting that 2-4 week plateau, keep calm – it will happen!

How is everyone getting on at the moment? xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Lolo

Well done for hitting that first goal – you must be floating on air! This has no doubt set you up to met the challenge of achieving the next goal.

Pleased to say that having started tracking carbs and well as cals, I am beginning to see some positive movement again. Am down 2lb so far this week, but I’m holding off until the end of the week to see if it stays off, before celebrating. I’m hoping it’s a sign I have come through the week 2/3 plateau though. Keep you fingers crossed for me.

Good luck on reaching your next goal.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Great news guys and lots of inspiration for those who have had a plateau.
    Lovely to hit a goal, now on to the next one ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Well done lolo! Which reminds me of my own bit of news, i tried on a jumper i last wore in 2006 – OMG – just realised that’s 10 years ago! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Wow Judith, how did you keep that from the moths ?
    So, did it fit, do you have the body of your dreams yet ?
    Nah me neither………but we’re getting there.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill, i know, I’m a right cheapo! At least I didn’t unravel them and wind them round someones hands to reknit into new clothes (only people of a certain age will know what I’m talking about).
    But, nah,not the body of my dreams yet but I’m not so afraid of mirrors these days!

Lucia and Catgirl did you/have you taken photos of yourselves in your undies (as suggested by michael) so you compare the now and after? I could only look at mine after a lot of weight came off. Amusingly I closed my eyes when I took the photo – that’s how much I couldn’t bear the mirrors lol ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Grandma48
    on

Hello guys

Sorry to intrude on your topic, but it applies to me as well. Week 1 4lbs loss, week 2, 1/2lb loss and am just mid week 3 so looking to see what has happened, although I don’t think it’s great! I have started very carefully logging calories and carbs – not convinced that our F.F is very accurate, so checking other sources. Today, I have logged everything I have had so far – gazpacho (home made) for breakfast, egg salad for lunch and I’ve put in my proposed dinner, salmon steak with asparagus, kale and broccoli. All in all the total is 864 calories and 35.8 carbs. I’m happy with the carb reading, but the calories are so high already and if I get peckish there’s no calories left! I’m trying to include the olive oil (in the gazpacho), full fat mayo with the salad and small butter pat to go on the veggies tonight. I’m logging all these because I believe I have to, but they slaughter the calorie allowance. No space for Greek yoghurt – boo hoo. Can you please tell me if I’m doing this right?

Thank you for all the inspiration you provide – you’re amazing, all of you.

Jan

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Grandma48
    it all looks ok to me but I’m a bit of a heretic in that I haven’t counted a single calorie yet.
    I concentrate on keeping the carbs down and eating reasonable portions and I have lost 20 pounds so far.
    Don’t worry too much if you slip over 800, it isn’t set in stone it’s more the figure that weight loss patients are given post op as the original research was to see if people on a low calorie diet could reverse their diabetes in the same way as weight loss surgery patients were doing.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Grandma48

As Bill says, don’t stress about being a bit over. It actually says in the book that over the eight weeks it will balance out, with some days calories being higher and some lower. Try not to talk yourself into needing a snack, by worrying there are no calories left. You will probably find as you have included plenty of fat, you will not actually need anything extra.

I have been counting calories in everything and recently have included carbs in this record as well. For me, the calorie counting is as much about training myself to recognise proper portion sizes as anything, so I think keeping track is no bad thing, at least initially until you know what 100g of yogurt, 30g cheese and 120g of meat looks like.

Don’t panic about today. If you do need a snack have it, then move on and start anew tomorrow.

Good luck- I’m sure you’ll be fine.

• posted by Grandma48
    on

Thank you Bill and thank you SunnyB. I shall continue with my carbs and not stress too much if the calories go over. As it is clear to see from so many “threads”, we all seem to think we’ve got it wrong when the weight loss slows down. Feeling quite reassured, I shall endeavour not to shout at the scales when they refuse to move downwards at a rate of knots!
    Jan

Please log in or register to post a reply.