Starting today – can I do it?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Hello! I’m beginning the 8 week programme today. I read the book recently after being diagnosed type 2 in November 2015. I’m on metformin because I can’t control my diet well enough to keep my BS down.

I also have lots of other issues at the moment – I’m menopausal with some awful symptoms and just recently diagnosed with depression. I have been a binge eater and compulsive overeater for as long as I can remember. I apologise in advance for the epic post, but I would like to get the best advice and support from people here – and I naturally do go on a bit. Sorry ๐Ÿ™‚

We lived on a small farm when I was growing up, and a favourite family story is when I was a very small child – we’re talking maybe 3, I would go along the line of just-ready tiny garden peas my granddad had grown, shelling them as I went, and eat the lot! Or pull up a row of baby carrots, one by one, and clean them in the water butt… and again, eat every last one. Raspberries, strawberries, apples, pears, swedes, tomatoes even gooseberries all fell victim to my odd binges. I was like a swarm of locusts once I’d got a taste for something. I wasn’t overweight as a child as I was very active – I never stopped running about outside from dawn to dusk.

As I got older, and more self-conscious, I discovered chocolate, sweets and junk food, and started secretive eating. I was still very active, though, until my late thirties, when there was a kind of tipping point. I reached fifteen stones, and my overeating was simply out of control and has stayed that way. I think I gave up at fifteen stones. I couldn’t see how I could get slim again from there and I stopped being active. I really wish the fifteen stone me could have talked to the 22 stone me that I became last year. I did manage to lose a couple of stones every now and again – and I’ve lost weight with slimming world over the past year but unfortunately I’ve started gaining again – I’m currently 20 and a half stones.

I need to change, if I’m not going to give in to a lifetime of increasing medication and slow descent into diabetic complications. I am going to give the BSD my best shot. The book made a lot of sense to me and the success stories on here and elsewhere are really convincing. I’d love to rediscover health, and maybe one day ride a horse again.

It feels a bit strange to depart from the “if you don’t eat enough you’ll slow your metabolism down” mantra… it’s still chanted everywhere you go. I am convinced it’s wrong, now. The problem is, I don’t trust myself – I really don’t believe I can do it. But I’m ready to give it my best shot. Here I go – today’s the day!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi jpscloud
    You have just taken the first massive step to a whole new lifestyle.
    Read through the forums, in particular, Lucias my 8 weeks thread, that gal is so going to make it.
    There are so many inspirational stories on here from people just starting the journey through to those who have crossed the finishing line.
    Look at the recipes section, there is some unbelievably yummy food in there.
    Above all, remember you aren’t doing this alone. You now have a worldwide family of people who have exactly the same goals as you, and they are all here to help
    Welcome to the forums and best of luck on the journey ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Thank you Bill! I was reading Lucia’s thread yesterday, and find her very inspiring.

I do have a habit of falling by the wayside, but I think that’s a familiar story to many who are posting here. I hope this is the day I change forever, even if I do wobble a bit now and then.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi jpscloud, a big welcome to the forums, you will soon be sooo happy you started this journey, you will see the weight drop off and improvements in your blood sugars. Don’t worry if you have a few teething problems for the first few days – not everybody does – I just took paracetamol to deal with headaches and drank gallons of herbal tea and fizzy water. I felt a bit wobbly and lightheaded for a few days but it soon passed and the scales were telling me a story I really wanted to hear!
    *You must remember full fat is GOOD!
    *Drink 2 to 3 litres of water every day ( either herbal teas, hot or chilled, still or fizzy water – try adding a slice of lemon or lime)
    If you want help or advice just ‘shout’ we are all the same path and more than willing to help and as Bill said check the recipe section and the thread ‘ what I have eaten today’ – lots of ideas there!
    I found preplanning the meals I would have(and even preparing them) really helped in the first few days.
    Have snacks in, like cherrieanne suggested – 5 or6 cherry tomatoes, a boiled egg, a few seeds, a couple of nuts, – but remember to count them as part of your calories. Sometimes it just helps to know there is something quick to hand if the hunger pangs get you so you avoid falling into old habits.
    Another tip – if it is possible – get rid of the ‘wrong’ foods, crisps, biscuits etc
    Looking forward to your success story ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sharon
    on

Hi jpscloud and welcome to the BSD family.

Your story could be mine (apart from the farm) I started nearly 4 weeks ago and if I can do it so can you!!! I started at 21 stone and in the first 3 weeks had lost 16 lb, havent lost any this week but that’s OK as lots of people on here have said their weight loss stalled at times. I too have stumbled but you get so much support and encouragement on here, you just have to pick yourself up draw a line under it and move on! Like bill said you are not doing this on your own. Trust me when you see the scales going down that spurs you on, I have been on every diet out there and this does work it is amazing. Make sure you keep your water intake to 2-3 Lt a day.
    All the best and I look forward to seeing you progress next week stick with it. Good luck.

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Hi Hashimoto, thank you! I like black tea, oddly enough, so I’ll be relying on that to get me through! I might try some of the green teas again too. I’ve done a bit of preparation already, I threw away the leftover crisps from the big bag I ate on the way home from shopping yesterday – why do I feel the need to have a “last supper” like that?! Anyway, they are in the bin. I am going to go through the cupboards today and do a bit of sorting out too. People at work will benefit from my clear-out!

Thanks Sharon, I really appreciate the support. That reminds me, I must get some fizzy water in. I do like fizzy, but don’t want to be drinking litres of artificially sweetened drinks.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi jpscloud.

Before I found the BSD I could happily eat anything that wasn’t nailed down – but sometimes I could eat the nails as well – usually between slices of white bread.

I’d gone the traditional route of different slimming clubs, low-fat diet, whichever diet came out at new year. It might have worked short-term, but that was all.

Then diagnosed type 2 diabetic I followed the ‘official’ advice. Did it work? Of course not. Not for me.

Then I found this book at the end of last year and jumped into the BSD with both feet on 19th December. Yes, just before Christmas. I knew myself well enough to know it would be dangerous for me to wait until new year – I might change my mind!

There are many of us on here, including me, who will say “if I can do this, you can”.

We look forward to hearing your progress. And someone is usually around if you gave a question or a problem.

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Wow, the support is amazing here! Thanks captainlynne – I did the same with slimming world last year, people thought I was mad for joining just before Christmas but it did help me moderate my habits a bit.

Off to the shop now, for some salad stuff. Walking, of course! I’ve already started walking over the past year but slipped back into lethargy over the last couple of months. Hoping the BSD will help me get energised again now.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi jpscloud I totally agree about not having artificially sweetened drinks. Sweeteners may be 0 calories but not good for one ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.