Starting Today ! Anyone with me ? (October 2017)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AngS
    on

Beginning of week 3 and I’ve lost half a stone, despite still having my early cup of tea, with milk…. Yay! I’ve added an inch to my bust though, Which is odd. Perhaps I didn’t measure right last week. An inch ff my hips though.
    Onwards and downwards.

• posted by Macloud
    on

Good Morning Folks !

Well, that’s it .. my 8 weeks is up today !

How am I doing ? Well, the scales today say that I have lost 23.4 lbs since I started 8 weeks ago. I was 205.2 lbs at the start and now weigh 181.8 lbs; a loss of just 2.6 lbs on the week. My BMI is now a more acceptable 25.8. Not been that for a while !

I have just got back from a local hospital where I gave them a couple of test tubes of my blood for them to play with and I should get the results later this week. Hopefully all will be ‘normal’ .. or at least improved on my June 2017 blood tests.

But it does not end there as I am rewarding myself with another 8 weeks of comparative calorific austerity on BSD Phase 2. Oh I love it ! I might have to modify things depending on my test results, but until I get those back I shall continue as before pretty much – it seems to work – though with greater attention to carbs rather than portion control, though both are important as we know.

Onward and downward folks !

Macloud

• posted by Fat Bottomed Girl
    on

Hi everyone! Great thread and well done to everyone, you’re all doing great! I’m on day 8 and have been following recipes from the book to the letter. But I’ve been struggling with hunger and feeling weak these last few days. So far I’m trying to distract myself and glug the water but I can feel myself wavering if these feelings continue. Is it just withdrawal from carbs/sugar perhaps? Did anyone else experience this and if so, does it get better! So far I’ve lost 9lbs (fab but I have a lot to lose) but no inches 🙁

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Macloud
    Just came on to say congratulations – great result to date. Good luck with the blood test results. I’m on my second round of 8 weeks (week 10) – onward and downward as you say
    Marie123

• posted by AngS
    on

Hi, Macloud. Well done! All credit to you for doing another 8 weeks. We have decided instead of thinking we are on a diet, that it’s a new, healthier way of eating. My husband (who is just doing it to support me and keep me on track) is really enjoying the book recipes. We hope to stay on it, within reason, after the first 8weeks, but I’ll see how my blood sugar is first, before deciding. I feel slimmer, even if I’m not. Lol.

• posted by AngS
    on

Hi, Fat Bottomed Girl, Glad you’re enjoying the thread, but sorry to hear you’re feeling a bit wobbly. I saw my doctor before starting (sheer coincidence,as he was doing the flu jabs), and he said if I felt feint, to do the Mediterranean diet or the 5:2 diet for a few days, then go back on the 8-week BSD book again. Hope that helps. AngS.

• posted by Macloud
    on

Thanks ladies !

Happy with my performance to date but it is quite encouraging, reassuring and inspiring to read also of others’ many triumphs, large and small on this revolutionary diet regime .. even if the occasional reverse gear is accidentally engaged !

I have to say that this BSD regime is the easiest that I have slogged through in the last 13 years since I acknowledged to myself that I was indeed fat and needed to do something about it. Can I say that ‘f’ word these days ? Sorry if it offends some, but it really woke me up. I have only occasionally felt a bit jaded/tired on it and only in the first couple of weeks. What I can say is that I have been really lucky with no holidays away during the period and hardly any social occasions that I could not duck. Yes, I have been insultingly anti-social, but if you really want to make an omelette you have to break some eggs, no ? To me, the end justifies the means !

I am absolutely 100% determined that this will be the last – and most spectacularly successful – diet regime in my life : enough is enough !

Macloud

• posted by AngS
    on

Well said, Macloud. That’s exactly how I feel too. Once my doctor says my blood sugar count has returned to normal and has stayed within normal range, after a couple of blood checks, I will rejoice. Low carbs will be my way forward in future, but I will still enjoy the odd plate of chips and a roast dinner with all the trimmings, as well as a glass or three of red wine now and again, when we go out, once I’m done here.

• posted by AnneF
    on

Yes well done Macloud indeed. Any yes, I can understand that you might want to carry on for another 8 weeks to get the results you want. I have been testing my blood (fasting) every morning since the first day and it has been below 5 every day apart from a couple where it was 5.2 and 5.5. I stopped taking my Metformin after 3 days. Even this morning after having a small glass of red wine and a very small slice of birthday cake (lunch out for my son’s birthday) it a was still under 5 this morning. I can’t wait to have a doctors appointment and have my HB1aC taken.

I did occasioanlly feel a bit feint -y / light headed FatBottomedGirl, but I just had a breather and two or three nuts / berries (and I do mean only two or three – not a handful and call it two or three!!) and a glass of water – I know that doesn’t sound much, but I felt better and it was only 1 day it happened.

I did the pork stir fry this evening, but mixed it up a bit by using all the left over veg in my fridge and added some cashews. Massive plateful ! I am stuffed 🙂

• posted by Fat Bottomed Girl
    on

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me AnneF and AngS, I will take your tips on board. I was planning to do the 5:2 once I’ve finished the 8 week plan anyway and I’m just waiting for the book to arrive. It’ll be handy to have in case I need to do a day or two rather than undoing all my hard work! Thanks again 🙂

• posted by AnneF
    on

And I should have said well done on losing 9lb in 8 days F B G. That in itself is amazing, hope you feel motivated enough to stick with it (if it suits you), but good to hear you have Plan B as a back up 🙂

• posted by Cass Rose
    on

Starting tomorrow. Did this last year and lost 10 kg and kept it off quite easily but starting to gain again. BSD works well for me, just need to hold the line. Aiming to lose another 6-10 kg before xmas

• posted by 2bigdave
    on

Just to say Congratulations to Macloud! I do hope you will continue your contributions. I started on 5 October when I weighed in first thing at 279.4 pounds which meant that I must have topped 20 stone the night before. I am 71 and 6 foot and by some good chance am not diabetic. Obviously I can’t carry on at this weight and survive so I am having my second go at bsd. 9.4 pounds down at the end of week one then I hit a plateau for three days before a sharp drop. Currently 12 pounds down and hoping for a positive drop at the end of week 2 on Thursday. I had thought of trying to stabilise on the 5:2 at the end of 8 weeks before starting a second dose of bsd. I really look forward to hearing of your progress and that of others going for a second dose. I need to get down to 13 stone eventually…I would be interested to hear how others are succeeding in maintaining their losses. Good luck to all!

• posted by AnneF
    on

12lb in 12 days! Pretty cool achieve,ment 2bigdave – no mean feat.

I would definitely encourage you to keep going, despite a very active lifestyle and sticking to the diet my weight stalled for more than a week, but has now moving downwards again. I feel so good and I have met someone who has done it and is pretty much carrying on with normal life, with modified eating habits and she looks great and says she feels amazing. Well worth the effort

• posted by Macloud
    on

Why, thank you Big Dave ! You are doing pretty good yourself. You will have to get yourself a different stage name when you achieve your own weight goal !

I have had a couple of weight plateau episodes too for about 4 days at a time. But I no longer panic and know that my body cannot resist the lack of food without shrinking, given patience. It still amazes me how little I can eat and drink without really being tempted to raid the kitchen only 5m away ! It was not always thus before the BSD.

It was a toss up here whether or not to continue with a BSD Phase 2 for 8 weeks immediately. Perhaps a week off to stabilise and recharge determination batteries, I wondered ? But, no, I decided that a continued uninterrupted routine is best and anything else could well derail me disastrously from the BSD to follow absolutely nothing of the sort in stead ! So it is more of the same until December and, so far, I am content with it.

Rest assured I will continue to report back, as that is now one of the regular contributory pressures to keep me focused !

All the best.

Macloud

• posted by AngS
    on

AnneF, Funnily enough, I’ve just heard from a friend of ours who lost a stone and a half during the 8 weeks of the BSD. He was on the top dose of Metformin and has been using the book ever since. He doesn’t follow it closely any more, but the principles yes. Strangely, his consultant has now put him on the lowest dose of Metformin, but despite having low-normal blood sugar readings, hasn’t taken him off medication. I’m so pleased my doctor is more amenable.

My son and his partner came to lunch today. We gave them the chicken and butter bean salad. They loved it!

Keep going everyone.

• posted by AnneF
    on

Good luck with your first day Casa Rose! Hope you find yourself motivated by quickly seeing results!

My sister is coming to stay this evening until Monday (long time diabetic (30+ years) and insulin dependant) and she can’t wait to try out the diet as I will be continuing to stick to it whilst she is visiting to see what effect it has.

• posted by AngS
    on

AnneF Keep us posted about your sister. Let’s hope she loves it.

A friend of ours has a diabetic sister he’d like me to speak to, but she won’t ring him back these days, so I doubt she’ll speak to me. She’s burying her head in the sand, which is sad. I think this BSD is a lifestyle changer.

We’ve realised that what we thought was our previously “healthy diet” consisted of far too many carbs. I also think I ate too much fruit as part of the 5 a day. So, more veg, less fruit in future and very few carbs. I’m getting used to black coffee now and my non-diabetic hubby has reduced his weight by the desired half a stone now. As he doesn’t want to lose any more weight, he went back to his Jordan’s fruit and nit muesli this morning. He said it tasted really sweet. He has also reduced his sugar to half a teaspoonful instead of 1heaped. He is staying on the BSD with me for support, but is going to add a few potatoes to his plate, to maintain his weight. Just had the grilled halloumi salad for lunch. I love it! I found the Tesco pitted black olives in brine great, (blue label) as I don’t like bitter olives at all.
    The future is bright!

• posted by 2bigdave
    on

Hi Everyone!

Today is the end of my second week. 5.6 pounds down this week making 15 in total. Hoping for 4 pounds next week. Thanks for the comments Macloud. I think I will push straight on at the end of my 8 weeks on 30 November. Christmas will intervene (the cake went into the oven this morning!) my plan is to eat normally, i.e., like a pig, on the day itself then get as much as possible into the freezer after Boxing Day. What you put on in a day, you can take off in a day, or two or…….I may also launch my secret weapon, exercise. So far I have carried on with decorating the outside of the house which is hard work but will stop after another week. Then I’ll start walking. No Park Runs near here in rural Suffolk but plenty of footpaths to explore. Keep in touch everyone. I know I am more likely to stick with it if I set myself up publicly like this. Well done you other 2 weekers. It’s great to hear of your successes.

• posted by AnneF
    on

Well done 2BD, as Macloud says you will soon need a new ‘handle’ !

I suspect you attitude to food may well have changed by Christmas – after several years being diabetic I tend to look at cakes, biscuits, sweets etc as ‘not my food’ and even as actually damaging me. Oh don’t get me wrong I still sucome sometimes and have a biccy or a slice of cake or sneak a chocolate, but I no longer feel afterwards like I really want anymore and sweet things are very much over-sweet.

I think it’s great that your hubby is with you AngS, having a support network I think is key. I live on my own and work remote from my team, so knowing you guys are out there is essential for me 🙂

I had a short run yesterday and then lots of DIY with my sister and a walk in the afternoon. I introduced her to my diet (she did great and was hardly hungry) even with a full day busy I still PUT ON a lb on the scales this morning. A full day in London (tricky for diet-eating, but I managed) out at 5.30am and will be home by 8pm and 14000 steps so far I am hoping that this will have gone again by tomorrow. This weight thing is weird!

Anyway everyone, we hot to Friday again! Well done us – nearly 3 weeks in and nearly half way through!

Onwards and downwards

• posted by RachelH
    on

So much inspiration in this thread! Congrats McCloud – hope I can emulate some of your success and others here. Day 4 ticked off. Going well but feeling like a bit of a slug. Hoping the energy will kick in soon! At the moment the only exercise I get is jumping on the scales three times a day lol. Definitely needing to make more effort to get moving. Thanks everyone for posting – really helps reading it all. x

• posted by 2bigdave
    on

Hi AnneF
    Thanks for your comments. Sweet things don’t generally tempt me too much. I think my main issue is portion size. Sorry to hear of your 1 pound gain. I managed to be 1.6 pounds heavier this morning. This would seem to mean that I took in 5300 or so calories in addition to the 2200 I need just to maintain my weight! I actually stuck to my 800 plus a couple of glasses of wine so that has to be nonsense. As you know there are loads of factors that affect weight from day to day. All we can do is stick with it and know that weight must come off eventually. Physics will always triumph!

• posted by AngS
    on

Hi, Rachel H, I can fully appreciate how hard it is to make yourself get active. I do make myself do a couple of classes at the gym each week, but lower back pain often makes me feel reluctant to go for long walks and I certainly can’t run like Anne F.
    We hosted a dinner party for 10 last night. We cooked the spicy chicken with green lentils and, apart from one of the men, they all loved it. We added extra veg and they had crumble for dessert. I had a fruit salad (probably naughty as far as the BSD goes, but I didn’t have any wine or ice cream or chocolate afterwards).
    One of the ladies said she admired me as she really didn’t think I’d stick at it. That was a boost. Another lady said my weight loss (still weighing only half a stone down all this week) is showing. My tummy has definitely gone down a bit.
    As AnneF says, almost at the end of week 3 and nearly half way through. Well done everyone! Keep it up! We’re all in this for a good reason, be it just losing weight or reversing the dreaded diabetes. If it wasn’t progressive I might be complacent and not bother trying to reverse it, but after my friend got a black toe, that was it for me!
    I’ve got a blood test on Monday morning (HbA1c). I will ask the nurse if she can check my blood sugar whilst I’m there and will report back.
    Have a great weekend everyone and be happy and proud every time you deny yourselves some naughty food or drink!
    Ang x

• posted by alliecat
    on

2bigdave-
    Congratulations on your early successes. I’m glad that this is
    working for you! As one who has reduced my weight by 50%
    going straight thru on the Fast80 for 10 months and now on
    maintenance for 5 1/2 months, permit me to share this experience
    with you. It’s just anecdotal and others may have had a different
    experience, but I only indulged in wine on two occasions (holidays)
    during the 10 months, and on both of those occasions the scales
    registered a 1.5lb. gain the following day. If I remember correctly,
    it took the remainder of the week to reverse it. I don’t think
    “physics” or calories is the issue, but it’s more a matter of fluid
    retention. Try to get in 3 liters of water each day. It really makes
    a difference!
    Best of luck to you.

Allie

• posted by AngS
    on

Thanks, Allie. Yes, I’ve surprised myself at how I’ve managed to drink slim-line tonic instead of wine when we go out and now enjoy black coffee with no sugar too. Fluid (non-alcoholic) is the answer, with plenty of water. Dr Mosley says in his BSD book that some research suggests that hot drinks stave off the hunger pangs…

• posted by 2bigdave
    on

Hi Allie and AngS
    Many thanks for the advice. I thought the biggest danger from alcohol for me was the loosening of self restraint and an irresistible dose of the munchies. I am sure that water retention has a lot to do with the big daily variations but had not really connected this to alcohol. Congratulations on your magnificent weight loss Allie. I will renew my efforts to resist the wine and, if the worst comes to the worst, then at least I’ll have learned what to expect and why. I can only hope to emulate your persistence!

• posted by AnneF
    on

Wow, Allie what an inspiration to us all! Thank you 🙂

Good luck with your HbA1c AngS, I popped into my doctor last week for something unrelated and requested a blood test and diabetic nurse appointment – but won’t make that until mid November when I have a full 6 weeks of ‘good’ blood sugar levels to show!

And I am so impressed with your dinner party for 10 with diet receipe! That’s brilliant – you could have cooked anything and someone might not have liked it!

I have never (until now) weighed myself everyday so not aware of the slight metabolic changes that a glass of wine (or two) can make, but know that too much and I definitely develop a case of the munchies which, combined with lower willpower make a dangerous combination that has occasioanlly led to desperate measures such as a late night chocolate vending machine purchase!

More DIY yesterday and stuck easily to diet, but today we visit a National Trust place – will we survive the Tea Shop unscathed? I am pretty determined that we will!

• posted by AngS
    on

Hi, AnneF, Don’t be too disheartened if your blood sugar count isn’t as low as you’d hoped. I hadn’t realised until the doctor explained it, that the HbA1c count takes an average of your blood over about 3 months. I thought our blood replaced itself regularly. Although how that happens, goodness only knows! Lol. I’ve lost another pound at last, as I’ve stayed the same all week until now. Having got used to black coffee, I’ve even been able to drink a black tea this morning – something I thought I would never be able to tolerate.

We were clearing up yesterday morning after our Friday night dinner party. A bit of the fruit crumble got onto my finger and unthinking, I licked it off. It tasted far too sweet! It’s amazing how your taste buds change. Ah, well, 3weeks done. Almost half way. Enjoy the NT Anne. Keep the smug face on as you order just a black coffee and turn down the cakes! 😉

• posted by Macloud
    on

OK Folks : 9 Weeks up today on the BSD – how am I doing ?

Weight : 181.2 lbs. This is a loss of 24.0 lbs since 21 August 2017. Only lost 0.6 lbs this past week.

Disappointing result, but fully expected. I have said since my very first comments on here that interruptions to a dull routine are best avoided. But on Friday/Saturday last, I had to be away from home, with travel, hotel accommodation, restaurant fare and all the consequent physical and mental disruption. In short, it turned into a bit of a cals-fest (naughty me), but I am back in harness again now. Two off days have no way destroyed the past few weeks’ BSD efforts. Shrug and move on.

My blood test, carried out last week at the 8 week BSD finish line was a bit mixed. Total cholesterol improved, though it is still an unfinished work in progress, sitting as it does, at 5.05 mmol/L. Same applies to HbA1c. I was not previously even pre-diabetic, though close to the threshold of it at 41 mmol/mol. I have only improved to 40. So this endorses what others have pointed out, that it is ALL carbs that I need to be wary of and not just added sugars. This is now built into my modified diet; well, it was until last weekend !

Further, an amber warning is now posted here for my attendance at a family wedding less than 3 weeks away. Alas, it is a 3 day away from home job with air travel, hotel, unwise food, ridiculous expense, etc. Not good from a BSD point of view but I will survive.

So fewer carbs and more protein is my new mantra and I am scrutinising everything with new interest. Additionally, my continued resolve to succeed is unaffected.

Macloud

• posted by AngS
    on

Hi, Macloud, I’m liking your new mantra of fewer carbs, more protein. That will stop you feeling hungry, hopefully. And it should help you get rid of a sweet tooth, if you have one.

You’re not the only one to have a slowing down of weight loss. I’ve only lost 1 lb in 10days. Rather disappointing as I’ve been good and stuck to the recipes. Ive got a testing weekend coming up too. Out for a 2-course meal on Friday, then a BBQ near Manston Airport, Kent, with supporters who are fighting hard to reopen it. I guess I’ll ask for a burger without the bread… Then a 3-course meal out the following Sunday! Diet drinks for me, with not a single glass of wine.

My willpower has suddenly come from nowhere. I’m sure it’s because of threads like this, keeping me going. Plus, I have told my friends and family, which I don’t do normally, if I’m on the 5:2 diet for a few weeks. Plus, I’ve told my doctor that I’m doing it. He was sceptical, but supportive and he wants to know how I get on. I had a routine blood test this morning, so printed out my weight loss and 2 inch loss from everywhere since I started this BSD, 3weeks ago.

Chuffed to be in Week 4now. Half way there! Yessss!

Ang.

• posted by AngS
    on

AnneF. How did you get on at the National Trust visit? Where was it? We love NT properties, but the nearest one to us is 2hours drive away in West Kent. Did you stay strong in the Café?
    Almost half way. Keep at it.
    Ang.

• posted by AnneF
    on

Yes AngS we stayed strong in the Tea Shop :-). Just a black coffee and lots of walking – and a swim in the morning, which was a good job as I was working from home today and have managed less than 5000 steps 🙁 and it’s too dark now for a walk.

I can’t quite believe that we have started week 3 already ( or week 10 Macloud!). It’s still not hard, although I have been feeling hungry today. I stuck to the principles with my sister, but I am sure I relaxed on portion sizes and had extra snacks – an apple when we were out and about and a small glass of wine over dinner as we had guests However I paid for it…my bloods were up to 6.4 this morning – not a happy bunny – We did eat late and I did a big batch of roast veg which included sweet potato and pumpkin, so maybe just a bad combination, but am ‘back on the wagon’!

Best foot forward! Done my menu plan and shopping list for this week, so going to be as good as good can be!

• posted by AnneF
    on

Early morning boost…went to put on a pair of suit / work trousers and they were so loose even a couple of safety pins could not rescue them. Good job I am at home with a wardrobe full of (pretty much equally loose, but rescue able) alternatives and not in a hotel!!

• posted by Macloud
    on

That reminds me to try on my one and only suit for this wedding trip in 17 days time (bearing in mind I should be several pounds lighter by then) .. and not to leave it until the day of departure on EasyJet ! Thank you AnneF.

Macloud

• posted by AngS
    on

Morning, all. Good to know the clothes are getting looser. Mine too – a little. Week 4 now (not beginnng week 3, AnneF, We’ve done that one! Lol.). Another pound less this morning. Radio Kent (104.25) are talking all morning about statins affecting Type 2 Diabetes! Goodgle bbc.co.uk/Radio Kent to listen live.

Good luck with the suit, Macloud.

AngS.

• posted by AnneF
    on

You are of course quite correct AngS…Week 4!!

How was the suit Macloud?

I was really hungry during morning and when I got home this evening I did my washing up and realised that the cottage cheese (that I had for brekki) was low fat…purchasing error!! Lesson for life 🙂

• posted by AngS
    on

AnneF, Hope you managed to satisfy your hunger pang today.

We had a fishy day today. King prawns at lunchtime, then for dinnner we mixed the smoked mackerel with beetroot, orange etc., from the book.

I’m not a huge fish fan, so wasn’t really looking forward to it, but It was so delicious and satisfying. We bought the smoked peppered mackerel. The only thing we would change is buying ready-cooked beetroot, but not the stuff in jars… It took half an hour to cook the beetroot tonight, which was unnecessary really. Bought, cooked beetroot saves that half hour. Next time…

• posted by Macloud
    on

Aah .. yes, the suit. Thanks for reminding me ! To my great satisfaction, and not a little surprise, I reckon it will pass muster at a wedding and subsequent reception. A belt is advised, but then I usually wear one anyway and I won’t have to resort to dodgy safety-pins. After all, it will not be myself that is the centre of attention, being closely scrutinised; far from it. I have also taken into account an assumed 6 lbs or so still to be lost from my carcase before the appointed date of 11 November. So, as a true Yorkshireman (albeit exiled far from), I am particularly happy not to be forced into a corner and having to fork out for another suit that would likely only surface for occasional weddings and funerals. Sorted !

Macloud

• posted by AngS
    on

Glad the suit still fits, Macloud. I’ve got a big family wedding to go to in May, but that’s way off yet. We will need to stay on the 5:2 once we’ve finished the BSD, I think, to keep the weight off.

I’m a several times removed Lancashire Lass, so originating from a similar part of the world. Beautiful but wet and cold compared with our sunny, South Eastern corner of Kent, near Broadstairs.

Early dinner for us today, as we are off out to campaign to save our local Manston Airport. The council want to cover it in thousands of houses! Grrrr! No doubt I’ll be hungry again at 9pm… 😧

• posted by AnneF
    on

Sounds like you pleased with the suit resolution Macloud. Hope you were distracted by the energy in the meeting enough to make you forgot your hunger AngS!

I faced a couple of challenges today – the National Trust Tea Room on Sunday has nothing on today…all of my trainees popped out for chips at lunch time and brought them back to the training room – huge portions which none of them were able to finish…each and everyone ended up throwing some away, but I did I waiver – not a bit!

I also had an early evening meeting to go to, but did not have enough time to get home, eat and get into town, so I parked on the outskirts of town as I passed though and then walked in and had to pick up bought dinner (Sainsbury’s chicken and mixed bean salad came in at under 400 calories – no carbs) then there were snacks at the meeting …so I allowed myself a couple of lentil crisps, a couple of vegetable crisps and some almonds – I think all of them would pass the criteria! Then a social event when I stuck once again to plain water and black coffee.

Feeling that it really would be possible to do the Mediterranean maintenance long term!

• posted by AngS
    on

AnneF 👏👏👏👏👏👏 To turn down chips, well done! I might have weakened, I must admit. I love chips! Glad to report that I didn’t eat when we got home. Just had a black coffee. Zero calories.

The Sainsbury’s chicken & bean salad sounds good. Useful to know. And agree with you about the Mediterranean diet. Definitely doable. That or the 5:2 seem the most popular. Can you or anyone recommend a good, easy recipe book for the Mediterranean diet, please?

• posted by 2bigdave
    on

Hi all
    End of week 3 for me today. Down 2.4 pounds this week. Lower than hoped for but downwards is downwards. Time to spot the dreaded calorie creep and up the exercise next week. Also managed to resist the chips the grandchildren left when over for Christmas pudding stir up yesterday. Clothes seem a little looser but still a long way to go. AngS I have Mediterranean cookbooks but they are not diet book in terms of any restrictions. Have you looked at the bsd cookbook written by Michael Mosley’s wife? Mostly easy recipes and each includes calories and carbs. I think they reflect Mediterranean principles with plenty of variety.

• posted by AngS
    on

Thanks 2bigDave. I will have a look at the book you suggest.

Don’t despair at not losing too much weight. I only lost a pound in week 3. Only ounces per day this week (4).
    But as you say, downwards is downwards. I’ve noticed that some days the recipes add up to more than 800 cals.

• posted by AngS
    on

Thanks 2bigDave. I will have a look at the book you suggest.

Don’t despair at not losing too much weight. I only lost a pound in week 3. Only ounces per day this week (4).
    But as you say, downwards is downwards. I’ve noticed that some days the recipes add up to more than 800 cals.

AnneF, did you notice any more changes with your eyesight? Mine now seems to have changed slightly. Odd. No problems though and funnily enough, I feel much more confident again driving. I don’t know why I’d started to be more cautious. I put it down to age (I’m 71!). I was worried at road junctions for a while, but that has gone since dieting. Bizarre!

• posted by AnneF
    on

I have lots of diabetic cook books AngS which mostly contain recipes which are calorie counted and it would be easy to either leave out the carbs or sub statute them for good carbs. – whole grain, wild rice etc.

No more eye sight changes – still not using my glasses for driving, but anything near – dinner, sewing, DIY (screw heads etc) reading, texts and phone operation – all a completely blurred.

Good day for me today, a swim this morning, worked from home and still managed nearly 8000 steps

And yeah stick with it 2BigDave – I was static for about 10 days

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Check out KrysiaD’s posts. Her eye problems have resolved since being on this way of eating.

• posted by AngS
    on

Thanks, AnneF. I have a bookshelf full of recipe books, so will look and the Hairy Bikers wrote a Healthy Eating one called The Hairy Dieters with some great recipes in it from when they both wanted to lose weight. There is a 2017 800 calorie version of the 5:2 Diet too.

• posted by AnneF
    on

Can’t find KrysiaD’s posts – which forum are they on please AngS?

Well guys I now face my biggest challenge to date…there is chocolate in my house! I know where it is and there is no one hee to hide it from me. I bought it this evening cos I am having friends over on Sunday and will be cooking the skinny chilli from the BSD book and it uses chocolate, but of course not a whole bar. I might have to wrap the left over squares individually and then hide them in easily forgotten places. Even now I hear it singing to me!! Could have left it out or used cocoa powder, but thought I would see just how strong my will power is! It’s doing pretty well, there is a half drunk bottle of red in my kitchen counter from last Sunday night and I have not been even tempted.

Nearly at the end of week 4 half way :-). Huzzah!

• posted by AngS
    on

Thanks, Esnecca, I’ve been out all evening at a dinner party with friends, so hadn’t seen AnneF’s request about KrysiaD.

Didn’t drink tonight, just had slimline tonic, but had a hearty buffet meal of salmon, chicken and various salads, including fruit salad. I did let myself have a treat of a Celebrations Snicker sweet with my black coffee. It tasted very sweet and I certainly wasn’t tempted to have another one, thank goodness. Goodness knows what my blood sugar is now, but hey, still no carbs eaten… Back to the BSD in the morning.

AngS.

Please log in or register to post a reply.