Starting the last push to ultimate goal today ….

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Rozy, I didn’t even have to resist – it just held no appeal for me at all. If I had still been hungry, after the roast lamb, I would have preferred some cheese, but I didn’t need anything – I knew I was full! That wouldn’t have happened in the old days!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Rozy
    Haven’t heard from you for a while so hoping all is ok?

How’s the mission to stay under 10st going? I know you can do it so really hope you believe you can too, despite all the ups and downs, as you so rightly say, it’s the bigger picture that counts . X

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Theodora
    Thanks for thinking of me! I’m OK, just got tired of reporting my upward bounces. Glad you believe in me because I’m not sure I’m convinced I’ll make 9.5 stone. Unfortunately, keeping under 10st is a bit of a Mission Impossible at the moment – after several days enjoying seeing a 9 at the start of things it’s been a gradual rise, actually not gradual, quite a rapid ascent, back to above 10st 2lb.
    Sadly, I’m still of the “see food and eat it” mentality, whether I’m hungry or not. I’m a comfort eater. Despite having a week off work (so no stress & I got some jobs done off my long-standing To Do List) I went off the rails foodwise – I went & bought a load of stuff I didn’t need & scoffed it. Just no willpower at times. I find myself wondering if it is better to have a massive hit on one evening or graze over several days… I suppose the carbs/sugar are taking hold again.
    Maybe being at work helps me keep to a routine even if it brings stress – being at home I have to keep busy in order to ignore the siren call of the edibles in my fridge/cupboard, never mind the lure of the shops near where I live. Doesn’t bode well for retirement!!
    I suppose some of the problem is boredom – these days a pot of Greek yogurt is losing its appeal, no matter what I add to it to give it some interest. And other things have also lost their appeal simply because I’ve had them a lot. I have a love-hate relationship with coconut flour & oil.
    I do better when I trawl the books & decide what I’m going to have over the next few days & make sure I have the necessary ingredients in, rather than just winging it & making it up as I go along.
    Anyway, that’s my gloomy update. I’ll try and drag myself out of my self-inflicted pit…

Hope your maintenance is going well.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Rory, don’t fret about the numbers, just stick to the basics and when you are ready you will feel able to go for another focused few weeks. Until then just celebrate how far you have come, and how much better you feel than when you started. I think sometimes we focus on an arbitrary target too much and fail to acknowledge what we have achieved.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Rozy, a pound or two here or there is nothing, just remember the bigger picture. You have come so far, and I know you can do this. Just believe in yourself, and you will get to the 9s and stay there – ok you may have the odd bounce back, but you have the tools and the ability to use them to get there and stay there. Nothing worth doing is ever easy, but it can be done, you have come so far and you should congratulate yourself on that, not beat yourself up about a small bounce back. Keep plodding away and you will get there…………..just believe in yourself. x

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Mixnmatch & Theodora,
    Thank you for your kind words of encouragement – much appreciated. You are both so right – I’m forgetting about the 2.5stone lost last year (& most of it has stayed off). I’m also forgetting my own basic rule: “Avoid Temptation Once (in the shop), i.e. don’t buy the bad stuff in the first place”. Once it’s home and I’ve opened the packet, it won’t survive to anywhere near its Use By date!
    It just bugs me that when I do have a major pigout it seems to be bigger than the last one. It’s my own personal food Groundhog Day – losing the same pounds over & over.

Anyway, I’ve just stewed some rhubarb & ginger to dollop on my Greek yogurt later on – I’ll persevere with that.
    And I’ve just bought a new swimming cozzie – hopefully that will keep me inspired to go to the pool.

Anyway, it’s nearly lunchtime – I feel some sliced courgette & feta with a drizzle of balsamic would probably go down nicely.

Take care, both of you.
    Thanks again.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

RozyDozy – that’s pretty much how I’ve been for the last few months. Buying something to keep or share, then eating it, even if I didn’t particularly like it. But for me, it’s been stress, not boredom. And I’ve realised that part of the problem is how I was given food, especially sweets, as a reward when I was a child. I’d even get sweets for being good/brave at the dentist.

I also think I’d got into a rut with what I was eating. So I’m making an effort to try new things.

Best wishes.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Lynne

Going back to childhood, our psyche is patterned for sure. I wanted to dance, be a little pink ballerina, I never made it. When I was 7 I nearly died, when I recovered after not eating much for 6 weeks, I was put on appetite stimulants…and my poor mother hovered over me feeding me up to get me back from the brink. Those pills drove me to devour any morsels not nailed down. I laughed about it for years saying those tablets had a long acting effect.

Three weeks ago I stood in a dance class, skinny legs and all, staring at a full mirror wall, can you imagine? I was in a dance class and I looked like others in the room. I had a quiet moment as I realised I’d been wanting to be there for 60 years! A 45 minute workout and not only did I survive, I had energy to spare.

I wonder if you would have received sweeties if you had struggled at the dentist? Probably, so you can’t win.

N.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Nettle

Lots of similarities!

When I was 6 I didn’t have a full week in school because I had tonsillitis every week. It also meant I struggled with eating. Then they took my tonsils out. As there were no bids on the children’s ward I was put on the women’s ward. After having their tonsils out the children were given ice cream. Not me. I was given pea soup! Yuck!!! I still don’t like it. Of course, after I recovered I made up for lost time. I’ve often said I’d eat anything that wasn’t nailed down. If it was, I’d eat the nails as well! Of course my grandmother didn’t help. The old ‘go on, one won’t hurt’ story. Usually just before a meal. Her favourite was a Special Toffee.

Didn’t do ballet as a child. But as an adult I signed up for tap lessons at the gym. Because of timings I decided to do ballet as well, to avoid just waiting around. And I realised I preferred the ballet to tap. Just couldn’t coordinate the tap dancing. But I enjoyed the stretches etc in the ballet classes. Could still ‘spot’ if I had to. Well, you never know when it might be a useful thing to do!

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Thanks for your message – I’d read that you’d had problems recently, hope you get things back under control soon.
    Stress at work is virtually normal so I have to live with it (I’ve been in a job for the past 4 years that I’m probably not really suited for but it was all I was able to get after roughly 3 years of unemployment) – roll on retirement! My boredom with food was me also getting in a rut with what I was eating, my choices over time had narrowed so I became fed up with things that had served me well – as you say, try new things, expand the repertoire, variety maintains interest.
    Good luck & take care.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi RozyDozy

Work-related stress is the norm for me too. Just recently too much has come together at the same time and has raised some issues Imthought I’d dealt with in the past. Retirement is becoming increasingly attractive but has its own issues. I could have retired a few years ago, but had intended to work until 70 (another 3,years). At the moment I just don’t know though.

Today is my third day strictly on BSD. And eating a few things I’ve not had before. Sadly I’d got stuck eating just the same meal over and over again, with few exceptions. Even when I was bored with it, just couldn’t be bothered to do something different. That should have alerted me to the slippery slope I was starting on.

Seeing someone tomorrow, preliminary meeting to try and get me sorted out!

Keep letting us know how you’re getting on.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello All

Firstly, I have had a quick scan through recent messages and it seems although some people are struggling, they are sticking with it, getting back to basics, so well done everyone – those succeeding and those still plodding towards targets and goals.

Secondly, apologies for my long absence from the forum. I have been away for eight weeks in Turkey, one in London and have pretty much eschewed tech for the duration, only logging in to tidy up email and to have an occasional quick look at the forum.

During my long break, I have been attempting to maintain, but am rather ashamed to report a 4.4lb (2kg) gain). The reason for this can be laid pretty squarely on alcohol, as this has definitely been my main downfall while I’ve been away – that and the occasional little cake or piece of bread. On the upside, I can still get into my size 10 clothes, but some of it is very much on the snug side right now and am still in the healthy BMI zone, so I’m pleased about that.

Anyway, the bottom line is I am back on the BSD big time from today – 800cals/20>30g carbs per day. Want to get down to target weight by early September, but preferably much earlier.

Good luck on keeping control and achieving mini-goals and ultimate targets – keep at it everyone.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Welcome back, SunnyB! Sounds like you had a good break, even though you collected a few extra pounds on the way. But I’m sure you will get things back on track sooner rather than later.

After my major wobble a couple of weeks ago, things are back under control (just about) – I’m back to hovering around the 10st mark, no new inroads into 9st-plus territory. But I’ve been trying to vary the things I eat to maintain interest – currently I’ve got a batter resting to make the chickpea flatbreads from the recipe book. Tried the chia kulfi from the recipe book, too, unfortunately I left out the cardamom that would have given it a bit of flavour!!! (Stupid, or wot!) but I’ll give it another go sometime. Even had a go at adapting a cake recipe I found on the web to make it a bit more BSD-friendly – pleasantly surprised at the end result, although it still needs tweaking to boost the flavour – if I perfect it, I will share…

Anyway, good luck everyone, hope you are all keeping on track.
    Bye for now,
    Rose

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi RozyDozy

Thanks for the welcome back. It’s good to be back ‘in the fold’ and to be taking proper control again. Nice to know that the support of the forum is still there too.

Sounds like you are in control again and prepared to do what’s necessary to make headway. Must admit I haven’t tried the chia kulfi – perhaps I will give that a look, as I love cardamom. Whilst I was away, I made veggie patties a few times – most often with grated courgette (moisture squeezed out), but once with spinach and a couple of times with chard (both raw and chopped). The patties are basically veg, herbs and or spices, a couple of eggs and a table spoon or two on almond flour, shallow fried a table spoon of mixture at a time, but you could make them as big or small as you want. And they work hot or cold, so good for a cold lunchtime snack. Shall make some later this week and calculate the cals/carbs and perhaps post it as a recipe.

Anyway, keep going Rozy, you will get under that 10st mark soon – keep us posted.

Best of luck everyone.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

SunnyB – your veggie patties sound pretty tasty. I’ve always thought courgettes are a pretty uninspiring vegetable but a patty sounds like a good use. And I’ve got chard growing so it sounds like a veg pattie would be a good use for that too.

As for me getting below 10st – I’ve managed it on 11 days so far this year – which is 10days more than last year! So it’s an improvement. The trick (which I have yet to master) is STAYING there. But the warmer weather makes salads a lot more appealing. And now the French Open tennis is over for another year I can’t camp out on my sofa watching the tellybox for great chunks of the day! Must get out and about more.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Rozy – I know what you mean about needing to get out and about more. Exercise is something am too slack about too.

Ringing the changes with the veggie patties is easy, as adding in different herbs and spices give variation and variety. You can add cheese to the mix too if you want to make them a main feature in a meal instead of meat or fish.

I’ve just topped the day out with pan fried salmon, mixed green veg and a little cream sauce and finished up at 840 cals 18g carbs – as a first day back, I’m happy with that. Will try to push the calories a bit lower tomorrow.

Good luck with cracking the staying under 10st thing, hope you can find the secret soon.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hello again,
    Am relieved to say that I’ve managed to get back under the 10st mark for the past three days, in spite of some very non-BSD intake. Hoping to venture into new lows if I can keep myself on track.
    Is it hot enough for everyone? It’s so hot that my jar of coconut oil is actually liquid.
    Not having a problem drinking enough water – seem to have consumed bucketloads recently – only problem is, the slightest movement and I’m sweating bucketloads.
    Hope you are all keeping your cool.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well done Rozy, that’s excellent news. I’m not doing so well, still trying to get to grips with ditching the pounds I added during my extended vacation. I’m hoping the this week will start to show some positive results, as I shall be back to basics and making a concerted effort to get some better results.

Good Luck at weight in everyone. Let’s stick with it and make a difference.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well done, Rozy, great that you are persevering, you will soon be entering new lows.

Yes, it is certainly hot, so drinking (water, not alcohol 😜) is easy at the moment. Though I have to confess that I drank far too much alcohol yesterday – glass of something white and cold slips down far too easily when on holiday and the sun is shining. So trying to stick to water today!!

SunnyB – those extra pounds will soon melt (literally, in this heat) away, I know. Just a case of keeping on keeping on.

The heat does have a downside for me, as I rely on my dogs to force me to exercise to control my extra intake whilst on holiday (we generally walk between 10 and 20 miles a day when away). But sadly, in this heat they are both flaked out and not wanting to move much, can’t say I blame them as I feel much the same but the lack of exercise is not helping my maintenance programme 😝

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Don’t worry, SunnyB, I’m sure you will deal with your unwanted holiday souvenir soon enough.

Theodora – you walk between 10 & 20 miles!!! That puts me to shame. I think your dogs have the right idea! I managed a 6.5km walk this afternoon and was absolutely dripping with sweat when I got back home. And I crashed out on the sofa & nodded off.

I’m pretty much teetotal – but I have a small can of Pimms in the fridge, and I am just about to open & enjoy the coolness.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Only when on holiday Rozy. Wouldn’t have the time to walk that far at other times. In general I walk on average about 8 / 9 miles a day. Don’t have much choice really with 2 big energetic dogs. They’d be bouncing off the walls otherwise 😜 Just as well I enjoy walking😃

Hope you enjoyed your Pimms 🍸

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Have managed to record a 1.2lb lose for the week, so that’s a step in the right direction with the holiday weight – still just over 3lb to go to get back to target weight.

Hope everyone else is seeing good results and I look forward to reading all your posts soon. Stay positive everyone.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi, Theodora – 8 or 9 miles is still putting me to shame! And, yes, I did enjoy the Pimms very much! 🙂

SunnyB – 1.2lb is great going. I”m on my 5th consecutive day back just below 10st, no new in-roads as yet but at least I’m holding station.

Am off to the pool for a swim shortly. Just hope the world & his wife don’t decide on the same idea.

Take care all.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey everyone
    Thought I would report in as I get a bit closer to the target weight again. After another of those weeks with fluctuating reads showing an increase mid week, I am pleased to report a lose of 2.8lb overall for the week – one of the best weeks I’ve had on the BSD in recent times.
    Think part of the success this week, can be put down to extending my overnight fasts almost every day and to increasing my water intake.
    Anyway, hope others are seeing good results too and I’m looking forward to reading your posts soon. For me, it’s going to be the same approach this week, in the hope of doing well again and maybe getting back to target weight by next Monday.
    Keep going everyone.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hey, SunnyB, well done on losing 2.8lb! Even last year when the weight was coming off so much easier my weekly average was only 1.1lb. Think I only experienced 1 week where I lost more than 2lb.
    I’m just treading water at the moment – after my last update I managed a few more days below 10st (making 8 consecutive days in total) including one day where I matched my lowest weight of the year (9st 12lb 6oz). But the past four weigh-ins have me back up at a shade over 10st.
    I know I sabotage myself, I’m a comfort eater when something’s bugging me. I just have to keep looking at my Excel chart and see that the line is lower at the Right Hand end than at the Left Hand end, even if the overall drop is barely noticeable.

Anyway, it’s back to extra glasses of water for me to see if that makes a difference.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Yes Rozy, I was surprised by the 2.8lb loss as well. Like you, I’m not one that has ever dropped large amounts each week, even on the BSD and 2.8lb is a very good result for me. I’m sure the extra fluids have helped, as I really can’t see any other reason for this result.

Keep with it and you will see the results you want I’m sure. It is dispiriting when the scales don’t give you good news, but don’t let that disappointment escalate to sabotage though. Maybe give some thought to how you can better avoid the comfort eating. Is there a way to distract yourself or change what is available at home for instant ‘snacking’? Hope you manage to find something that will help you combat what you recognise as your Achilles heel and you will soon be under the 10st mark again.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Thanks for your sound advice, SunnyB! Main cause of comfort eating is work – when I get home all the worries are rattling round my brain. I’ve got some knitting on the go, as well as a book of Sudoku puzzles, not to mention working in the garden & allotment, to give my mind something pleasurable to think about. I stupidly break my own rule about not buying extra stuff in the first place – once the bag/box/tub of whatever is open, there’s no hope – that’s when I ought to knock back a glass of water, not food!

Fasting is not something I get on with – I can do it when I’ve been so busy at work that I’ve not had time to think about my stomach. But at home I don’t find it easy at all – I enjoy food, plain & simple.

But the days below 10st are increasing – this month has been the best so far. A short stint here, a short stint there, eventually they will join up. Like they say, look after the pennies and the £s will take care of themselves – it must be the same with weight.

Anyway, keep up with whatever it is you are doing!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well done SunnyB, that 2.8lbs loss must be so encouraging for you.

Rozy, you just have to keep on keeping on, try not to get derailed and the results will come, good idea to try to substitute something else to comfort you when things go wrong, and yes, I think it is much easier when you are busy with no time to think about food. It’s a shame you can’t get on with fasting, because I am sure it has been key for me. But a shade over 10st is hardly disastrous, sill sounds pretty good to me, although I’m not sure how tall you are and can’t remember what your ultimate goal loss is?

I returned home yesterday from 18 days holiday (2 different back to back holidays), to find (and I hesitate to post this, when others are struggling) that I had LOST another 3lbs 😛 Quite how I managed to do that I cannot imagine as I did have a some very heavily over-indulgent days (max estimated consumption, repeated on several non-consecutive days was circa 2,600 cals with approx108g carbs, and I have to admit to drinking alcohol every singe day 😝) So much for this diet screwing up one’s metabolism.😛

In all honesty, I can only put it down to 2 things:-

1) Walking with the dogs between 15 – 20 miles most days whilst away
    2) Total fasting (ie 24 – 36 hours consuming nothing at all other than water and black tea / coffee) on all the days of travel, so 4 days in total

I am now 5lbs under target, which I am going to attempt to maintain this week as on Friday we go away for another VERY indulgent 5 days, but this time without the dogs, so I’m afraid there will not be much walking involved, but there will definitely be a lot of gourmet food and huge quantities of alcohol involved! Shame really that we cannot take the dogs as we are heading to Northumbria followed by North Yorkshire, both glorious walking areas. Anyway, if I come back having gained 5lbs, I will still be exactly on target weight.

Keep going everyone, it does get easier – I was absolutely dreading maintenance but so far have not found it too difficult – says she, frantically touching wood!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wow, Theodora that’s an amazing loss considering you were away and relaxing the rules!! It’s great that you are under target weight – congrats. Hopefully, I can get there myself in the coming weeks, though not by such a big margin perhaps. Sounds like you only need to do some minor tweaking to be in maintenance proper and I have confidence you can do it just fine.

Have a wonderful time away and I’m sure you won’t gain much. Keep posting so we know how you go.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Thanks SunnyB – though I don’t know about “relaxing the rules” I think it was more like blasting them into the stratosphere!!

I didn’t indulge in refined carbs (other than on one occasion when I had a lovely savoury tart, do miss pastry, and another when I had a really rich ice cream) but other than that ate and drank whatever I wanted. To be fair though, I do think my appetite has decreased (though sadly not my appetite for wine – I still easily downed an entire bottle on a few occasions) but I struggle to eat more than one course these days, but do sometimes have 2 starters when dining out and everyone else is having more than one course.

Thanks for your good wishes about our trip, I am sure we will have a great time. It’s not often we get away without the dogs, so will be able to have a totally different type of break. Really looking forward to it, and posh frocks will be worn! I used to hate having to dress up, but since losing 3st (3st 5lbs now 😜) new dresses have been bought and I am really looking forward to wearing them ☺ I will even be wearing stilettos!!! 😝 Cor blimey, can’t remember the last time that happened!🤓

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Well done, Theodora, on being 5lbs under target – don’t apologise for losing weight while on holiday. I think walking 15-20miles would probably take care of that! I remember coming back from holiday once and weighing 3lbs less than when I started – it was Iceland and I ate royally, plenty of fish & meat, all that skyr. One week back in Blighty and it was back on.

My original goal was (and still is) 9.5stone – I’m 5’3″ so it’s not unreasonable. You are absolutely right – there’s nowt wrong with hovering around 10st. In 2007 I was 10.5stone and just went up, so don’t get me wrong I am delighted to be around 10st all these years later. But I feel there is a bit more wiggle room to be found, particularly round the waist/belly. As mentioned before in my posts, I relaxed too much at the back end of last year and paid the price, and it has been a lot slower to come off this year – I think of it like chipping away at granite with nothing more than a toothpick. I think I’ve referred to it as my own personal Groundhog Day, losing, gaining & then relosing the same lb over & over! I didn’t expect the final few pounds to come off without a fight.

But I had a good day today – I managed to negotiate Tesco’s without succumbing to temptation and a problem at work has been resolved. (I run a charity shop and it’s a near continual battle to wrangle volunteers to make sure I have adequate cover for each shift.) And as I type, I’ve got some beef slow roasting in the oven so I’m looking forward to that with some veggies & horseradish sauce.

Have a great trip, whether or not you lose/gain any weight!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey everyone – hope people are still doing well and managing to inch closer to their ultimate goal.

After a particularly good result at last week’s weigh-in, I had to expect things not to be so fantastic this week. And if I’m honest, I have had an up and down week on the scales and with visitors staying over the w/e, there was inevitably a little alcohol and a couple of carby items I wouldn’t normally have – an ice cream and a focaccia roll. So registering a loss of 0.2lb for the week is not surprising and has to be accepted with good grace. Back to it today though and hopefully a better result at next weeks final weigh-in.

Hope to read lots of positive results for others this week. Has anyone reached a new low or hit that ultimate target this week? Looking forward to reading all about it.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi SunnyB,
    I’ve had an up/down week, too. Got things seemingly back under control (i.e. back under 10st) and even managed a new low of 9st 12lb 4oz (which is only 2oz better than the previous low). But me being me, I’ve bounced back up again. I don’t fare well when I’m feeling low/tired/headachey – I thought things were improving when I upped my intake of H2O and I didn’t feel hungry over Thurs/Fri but Saturday (even though I ate similar quantities of meals) I really started to feel hungry and I wobbled big time. But today I’ve started to feel more like normal so I’m hopeful of getting back on track…

We can’t afford to let up, just got to keep on top of things. Any going AWOL has to be nipped in the bud. I am NOT going to end up at 12.5stone again. And I’m sure you feel the same.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I’m with you Rozy, no going back!! Glad you are refocusing and pressing ahead. Well done on getting to your lowest weight so far – even if it was fleeting, it proves it’s possible and you soon consolidate that I’m sure.

Hope everyone else is managing to inch towards that ultimate goal – look forward to reading your posts soon.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

The past week hasn’t gone as well as I would have liked. Have been coasting rather and that has proved to be a mistake, as I’ve gained a pound on last Monday’s results, so slipping backward instead of striding forward … aahhhh!!!

Anyway, new leaf today and I’ve been mega strict and been very frugal with both cals and carbs, in the hope of kicking things off again. As I’m still 2.8lb away from getting back to target weight again, something needs to be done. This week a big one socially, so in between the social days, I’m planning to really stretch my overnight fast hours and trim back the cals and carbs those days too. Hopefully this will help to keep things in control and allow me to report a loss next week.

Hope other people are doing well and getting closer to reaching their goals. Look forward to reading your results soon.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Never mind, SunnyB, similar week for me. I did chalk up a couple of days where I’d lost nearly 2lbs (I went back to having soups for a few days) but it went straight back on. Warmer weather makes it easier to drink lots of water, eat salads, but it’s been so hot (particularly at work) that I’ve felt lousy, not done so much exercise (the lure of Wimbledon on TV), and generally resorted to comfort eating at times. Have eaten plenty of good stuff but rather spoiled things with “extras”. Still bumbling around the 10st mark.

As someone commented a while back, I seem to have got maintenance cracked! Just a pity that my mind is not set on maintenance just yet. When I look back, it was around this time of year in 2016 that things started to slow down & generally became more difficult. Just have to keep reminding myself that I’ve come a long way and that I actually weigh less than I did in 2007 when I had significant health issues, so any more losses are a bonus. Must make sure I prevent future gains but it’s difficult when I don’t seem to have totally lost my sweet tooth – must be genetic, I remember my mother gave up smoking but she admitted that never a day went by that she didn’t want a ciggie. I know plenty of people have posted that they just don’t enjoy sugary/carby stuff any more (good for them) but I still feel the need even after all this time (I don’t have to enjoy it to eat it).
    But that’s for me to deal with – you have plenty of determination and are so close to reaching your goal. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Rozy, sorry you have been struggling too. Think as we get closer to target weight, not only is it harder to lose the pounds, but the temptation is to back off and stop trying so hard and essentially drop back in to maintenance mode. For me the answer is to get back to basics, but we all find our own routes through the problem areas.

Having that sweet tooth must be tough as well. I’m lucky in that I rarely crave the sweet stuff. Savoury is a much greater temptation for me, but I think that’s perhaps easier to cope with than needing sugar. Hope you can find some coping mechanism to get you through the yearning for sugary treats.

Here’s to us all getting to our target weight soon. Keep posting everyone.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I still like sweet stuff, but rarely crave it if it isn’t right in front of me. Still, there have been quite a few ‘cake’ moments over the last couple of weeks since my birthday, so I am having a reset week. Back to fasting on the Seriously thread just for 7 days. I will be trying to find ideas for Verano’s new 7 day thread as well to get my head back in the game.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I’ve been extending my overnight fasts the last couple of days and I’m hopeful that it will be a good way of kick starting things again. Hope your fasting Is working for you Mixnmatch, is it complete abstention through the 7 days, or do you have a light meal at some point each day? Not sure I could cope with full on fasting – not made of stern enough stuff.

Look forward to reading you input on the 7 day thread.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

No, just the 800 calorie ish version, but the days 3-7 will be full on fasting mimicking with just plant based foods and less than 9% protein to see what the effect is. Still mixing and matching these ways of eating 😁 I have been on maintenance calories so averaging about 2100 calories a day, so should be quite a shock to the system.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

How is everyone doing on that last push to target weight? I admit I am still struggling to get back to my pre-holiday weight – which was actually my ultimate goal weight – and am currently 0.6lb off that as of today. Pathetically it has taken me five weeks since the holiday to get to this point.

I am hoping to get back to 8st 7lb by early next week and will then work towards shifting a couple more pounds, so that I’ll have some wriggle room for our next holiday coming up in September/October.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi SunnyB
    I’m still here! Don’t beat yourself up about being 0.6lb adrift from your target, you have done so well to get into the 8 stone band. Think it just goes to show that re-losing weight is harder than losing it in the first place – the moral of the tale being that we have to keep on top of things & not let up.
    I’m still struggling to make progress – too many non-BSD foodie rampages amongst the BSD-eating so what do I expect! Must admit I have lost focus in recent weeks – the best I can say is that I’m keeping things in check. I struggle to maintain interest – I have the ingredients for hummus in my cupboards but I can’t quite bring myself to make it. I am aware of the danger of becoming reliant on too small a range of foodstuffs unfortunately my way of maintaining variety is by eating the wrong stuff!
    Anyway, I have the recipe book so it’s a case of thumbing through it and trying something new.

Fingers crossed we both make inroads soon!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Rozy – good to know you’re hanging in there too. I know what you mean about the lack of motivation, but I have found the “7 days to renew enthusiasm” thread really helpful in getting me inspired – that and a book called Petal, Leaf, Seed By Lia Leendertz which has also really got me thinking about foods and flavours again.

We just need to stick with it and we’ll see the results – after all, we know full well the BSD works and that we CAN achieve, it’s just a case of applying ourselves and getting back to basics again if need be.

Keep going and keep posting.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Thanks, SunnyB!
    I can generally survive the days but it’s the evenings when things go to pot. An over-fondness for salt & vinegar crisps & ice cream is my Achilles heel. Plus I comfort eat – recently I’ve been worrying about my sister (she’s had problems with her eyesight – recently diagnosed as a rare form of glaucoma, the likelihood is she has permanently lost some vision in one eye). She’s been there for me when I had health problems so it’s my turn to step up to the plate to help her.
    I have been keeping an eye on the thread you mention, and thanks for the suggestion on the book.

Anyway, a decision has been made – tomorrow is the day I make a batch of hummus!

Take care,
    Rose

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey ‘Last Pushers’ – how’s it all going? Is anyone getting closer to their final goal weight? I seem to be hovering at the same level and struggling to lose that last fraction of a pound to get back to target, having gained a bit on holiday earlier this year. Progress has been frustratingly slow.

Hope your sister’s health improves, Rozy. It is understandable that you want to support her, but it is important to care for yourself too, as you need to be fit and healthy to help her too. Anyway, how was the hummus – tasty? I made some courgette ‘muffins’ yesterday, but I thought they were a bit disappointing – bit too wet. I prefer the patties that I have made before, with a very similar mixture.

I’m still hopeful of being where I want to be weight-wise before my holiday in late September, but I am really going to try and focus over the next couple of weeks and try to make for headway. Good luck to all of you still trying to get there too – we can do it you know, we just have to keep going!

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi SunnyB,
    I’m with you re things being “frustratingly slow”! I seem to have shed the excess (so I’m now back hovering at 10st) but no new inroads to report. So far over the past few days I’ve not succumbed to temptation but it is hard in the evenings – just have to keep glugging water.
    You only have a little way to go to reach your target so don’t sweat – remember a target is something to aim for, you don’t have to score a bullseye.

I was thinking the other day, if I had set my ultimate target at 10st I would be deliriously happy with how well I am maintaining that weight (plus or minus a pound or two). Still trying to get back under 10st again.

I kept to my word and made some hummus. Somehow it was not as flavoursome as previous batches – I’m not picking up the lemon, garlic, cumin. I suspect I may have been a bit heavy-handed with those flavours in earlier batches. Well, it will get eaten, along with a load of lettuce leaves.
    Had better luck with the pepper/squash soup – that is rather delectable.
    Next on the list is the red cabbage coleslaw to have with some smoked mackerel for tomorrow’s lunch. And I’ve got some chickpea flatbreads in my freezer – they are a reasonably acceptable substitute for pizza once the sauce/mozzarella is plonked on top.

Anyway, good luck for this week – I’m sure you will “cross the line” soon enough.
    Take care,
    Rose

• posted by topcac
    on

Hello All. I refound this thread and wondered why on earth I hadn’t posted on it since FEBRUARY!! It’s a great one for me and I really need it at the moment.

So to catch you all up, my weight took a bit of a nose dive (if it’s possible to do that upwards) and I find myself with 10lbs to go to my ultimate goal (which I never reached). I got within 1.5lbs – shame on me! The size 8 trousers that I was bleating about last time are relegated to the back of the wardrobe for the moment and I’m back in my 10’s.

But I’m not giving up! I can blame all sorts of things for this, business trips, hen night, wedding, honeymoon…July…but ultimately I have been feeding myself with crap and it’s got to stop. So it did. Yesterday. August is rebirth month. Day 1 was extremely virtuous and day 2 is going well. Weighing in only once a week – I think it’s better for me not to know each day. Currently 9st 6lbs – ultimate goal 8st 10lbs.
    Good luck on your journeys all
    TC 🙂

• posted by Theodora
    on

Good for you Topcac.

Those size 8s will be at the front of your wardrobe again before you know it. 😄

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well done on finding your focus again Topcac, keep with it and you know those positive results will follow. I had a pleasant surprise this morning, with a loss of 0.4lb on the scales. Had been feeling bloated and ‘stout’ yesterday, so expected to see a gain today. If I can keep control I’m hopeful of being at target weight in the next few days, but I don’t ‘count chickens’ – best to wait and see where things go first!

Keep us posted on your progress, now that you have your BSD goggles on again, TC, as Theodora says, you’ll be back in those size 8 in no time at all.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Welcome back, Topcac,
    I share your pain – so many distractions preventing success.
    Your current weight would suit me very well – so good luck with your mission to get below 9st.

Please log in or register to post a reply.