Starting the BSD today 6th July – anyone like to join me????

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi everybody!
    This will be my second stint on the 8-week BSD.
    I lost 20lb first time round in Feb and March this year.
    Just back from two holidays and have gained 5lb of that loss so quite annoyed with myself!
    I have some motivation – a holiday with a friend for a week 6th September – so I have 9 weeks to make a significant improvement I hope.
    Would love to have some buddies along the way!
    Starting weight today: 16 stone 7 pounds (age 57)
    Nancy x

• posted by Narnea
    on

Hello Nancy,
    I have also started today, 10st 4lb, 3 stone to lose!
    Seems impossible right now. How did you feel physically during the first couple of days when you did it before?
    Anyway, glad to join you ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by wendyq
    on

Hi Nancy

I’m 56 and have 3 and a half stone to lose,presently at 13 stone 4,started again today after spending a couple of days reading the forums and getting to grips with it all.A lot of the posts are very motivating and inspirational.I’ve started the BSD a couple of times before but fell by the wayside,hopefully this time I can stick with it.I’ve learned from my mistakes though and have realised it’s important to record everything I eat.Sometimes life got in the way and I didn’t record,meals out etc,people over for dinner,excuses,excuses.I have to be really serious with this and keep focussed for longer than 2 or 3 weeks.We’re going out for a meal on Monday,a burger restaurant called the Boozy Cow so I have to go with a plan and stick with it.I really have to make this work,need all the help I can get!

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

Hi there!
    Is this for fast 800s only?
    I’m the same age and goal as wendyq, and am only 6lb lighter (12,11-I just lost 3lb!) but I started the 800 three days ago. The sudden movement of the scales has made me very nervous of yo-yoing or losing the wrong kind of weight, so I’m switching to the 5:2 BSD with today being the first fast day, normal BSD food over the weekend, then 500 again on Monday.
    I’ve been doing the general BSD for several weeks now, and my weight had been rock stable lately (until I cut down to 800cals).
    If I can go down stepwise, I’ll be much more confident that it’s only fat/glycogen coming off.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi everybody!
    Narnea – I felt absolutely fine the first few days, not hungry at all – and lost 8lb that first week which was a great start.
    I was quite naughty though and was having glasses of wine here and there and I didn’t do all the walking either – but still lost 20lb overall.
    This second time around I am definitely going to kick the wine into touch and try to do more walking.
    I started the 8-week BSD yesterday and did it properly. Two scrambled eggs for brunch, 120 cals 20g nuts as a snack, half an avocado as a snack, and the delicious BSD recipe stirfry beef with asparagus and mangetout for dinner. The recipe serves two people, so I’ve got half left for dinner this evening so I won’t have to cook tonight.
    I was diagnosed pre-diabetic at end of January with fasting blood sugar in the diabetic range. I had the typical symptom of making alot of wee at night, having to get up twice in the night with great urgency. After around four weeks on the BSD first time round I found I was sleeping through the night and just having a little wee in the morning. However after two holidays in the last three weeks I am back to square one I feel, getting up once in the night with urgency and weeing in the mornig with urgency. I don’t test my blood but now these nighttime symptoms indicate high blood sugar levels.
    Nancy x

• posted by NancyB
    on

I joined WeightWatchers when I started the first BSD stint 1st February so that I would have the discipline of a weekly weigh-in on accurate scales. I am still a member of WW and got weighed yesterday morning coming in at 16st 7lb. When I started first time round 1st Feb I was 17st 8lb.

• posted by NancyB
    on

I joined WeightWatchers when I started the first BSD stint 1st February so that I would have the discipline of a weekly weigh-in on accurate scales. I am still a member of WW and got weighed yesterday morning coming in at 16st 7lb. When I started first time round 1st Feb I was 17st 8lb.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Wendy – are you pre-diabetic/diabetic???? x

• posted by wendyq
    on

I’ve never been tested,don’t have any of the obvious symptoms,haven’t been to the doctor for many years.

• posted by Narnea
    on

Well I am excited! 4lb down in 2 days!!
    I’m hoping finally something that works ๐Ÿ™
    I am feeling a little rough but I was before , that’s why I’m doing this.
    So the biggest shock for me though (considering I’ve been studying nutrition for years) is just how much you can eat with soooo little calories and still feel full!
    Tonight I made chicken tikka on the bone, cauliflower rice and natural yoghurt, yum ๐Ÿ˜‹
    So far don’t miss the other stuff but am going on a camping holiday next week so hope I will cope with that.
    How are you guys doing tonight?

• posted by NancyB
    on

Narnea – are you pre-diabetic/diabetic???
    I’ve been sticking to the 800 BSD for two days, doing it properly. Feeling OK, but I was quite hungry yesterday afternoon so ate my stirfry beef with asparagus and mangetout early. I’m not going to weigh myself everyday, will just have the discipline of once a week at WeightWatchers on a Tuesday evening. Not sure what I will cook this evening – will consult the BSD recipe book for ideas.
    Saw the Dawn French article yesterday – she has lost 7.5 stone!!!! And she had to do lots of walking.
    Challenges for me coming up – dinner cooked by friend tomorrow evening, will take my own cauliflower rice to have with her vegetable stirfry. Meeting friend on Sunday with whom I usually drink a fair bit of alcohol – will try and stick to soda water with 3 slices of lime – I squeeze the 3 slices into the soda water and pretend it’s got vodka in it!
    Keep going everybody!!!
    Nancy x

• posted by Narnea
    on

Have you seen this?
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol#more-170059
    Vodka is zero carbs!!
    I was at slimming world and considered staying for the weigh ins but the diet is about eating loads of carbs so I would have felt a bit awkward I think when they ask questions about your weight loss.

I have a strong family history of diabetes and have tested prediabetic on a home monitor and also all the symptoms which is why I tested. I hope I’ve caught it in time!

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi Narnea
    Great post about alcohol. I shall try to find it online and read the rest of the item.
    If I’m out with friends I try to stick to gin and diet tonic – and buy the little tins from Morrisons of gin and diet tonic which comes in at just 50 calories each.
    Had a very naughty days yesterday, invited to friends for Sunday roast dinner. I was very good and avoided the roast potatoes but couldn’t resist a little bit of plum crumble and ice cream. V v naughty.
    Back on the proper diet today and will get weighed tomorrow evening at WeightWatchers.
    Keep going everybody – look forward to hearing how people managed on the diet through the weekend.
    Nancy x

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi Narnea
    Just looked up Diet Doctor and read about alcohol – very interesting, thank you for posting it on here.
    Nancy x

• posted by Narnea
    on

No worries ๐Ÿ™‚
    It looks like vodka would be better than gin although personally I’d much prefer a gin!

I struggled yesterday, ate some of my kids chicken nuggets ๐Ÿ˜ณ Went a bit over on carbs and calories but back on track today. I will weigh myself tomorrow which is end of week 1
    I’m feeling a bit rough, funny stabbing headaches, foggy and lightheaded. Anyone else feeling this?
    Has anyone else weighed? How’s it going?

I will be camping tomorrow for a week so won’t be weighing and measuring, I will stay away from carbs as much as possible and hope I don’t do too much damage.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi Narnea
    Thinking of you camping – have a wonderful time away.
    I’ve had a boozy couple of days, so cross with myself. Anyway don’t have any social invitations looming at the moment so I’ve got to be good and lay off the drink. I was weighed at Weightwatchers Tuesday evening and after 6 days I was 4.5lbs down, weighing 16st 2.5lb.
    Wendy – how are you doing?
    Nancy x

• posted by Narnea
    on

Thanks Nancy, I’m back and weighed. I stayed the same which I suppose I should be happy about but I really stuck to the low carbs thing all week and had a lot more exercise cycling etc. ๐Ÿ™
    The only treat I had all week was an all fruit ice lolly on the last day, I always ordered the salad without dressing and never ate so much as one chip!
    The only thing I didn’t worry about was portion size, I thought surely a plate of salad doesn’t need counting?
    So a little peed off I just ate a bowl of muesli ๐Ÿ˜‹ I know naughty but back on it tomorrow.
    Loss so far 6.5lbs and 2 inch off waist (I was bloated at first measurement)

How are you doing? Sober week? ๐Ÿ˜

• posted by Narnea
    on

Where is everybody?
    ๐Ÿ™

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi Narnea! Well done for maintaining while you were away. Two inches of your waist is amazing!
    I’ve been off the booze for nearly a week now and intend to stay that way for the foreseeable future.
    I was weighed at WeightWatchers on Tuesday and lost 2.5lb for the week, so I now weigh exactly 16st.
    My trousers feel looser today which is good.
    Going to have the stirfry cabbage and peppered mackerel tonight which is delicious even if it doesn’t sound like it is.
    I’m also on another thread – ‘Seriously doing the Fast 800 again, anybody like to join me’ – which is much livelier.
    Keep going everybody!
    Nancy x

on

I seem to have plateaued at 12,6, but I’m pretty sure it’s because I’m building muscle.
    I had been losing about 1lb a day, but then I went swimming and did 10 (33m) lengths and a bit of treading water, hoping to lose a bit more, as well as tone up the bingo wings, but instead of going down more, the scales stuck. ๐Ÿ™
    I’ve dipped to 12,4 but bounced straight back up again, but again, I’m sure it’s due to building muscle as I have been trying out various workouts.
    I’m sure I must have lost muscle in the past due to being protein deficient, but it didn’t show, but what I thought was poor muscle tone, causing bingo wings, turns out to be simply soft fat. With the exercises I’ve been doing, I can now feel my triceps, and they are tiny, inside a significant layer of fat. My biceps are actually quite good, and only have a thin layer of fat, and my forearms are the same.
    My belly is a big problem, but I’m hoping that will also succumb to the diet and exercise eventually. All in all, I’m just really, really happy that I now actually have the energy to do simple workouts and go swimming once a week or so!

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi Ancient Weaver
    Good on you for doing lots of exercise – just wondering how old you are? I am 57 and need to get alot more active.
    I was weighed at WeightWatchers earlier and really happy to report another 3lb off, so I’m now down in the 15s – 15st 11lb.
    Came home and had delicious and very filling stirfry beef with asparagus and mangetout from the BSD recipe book, served with cauliflower rice.
    This thread seems very quiet – I am now on ‘Seriously Doing the 800 Fast, Join Me’ which is much livelier.
    Nancy x

on

I haven’t posted much because I’ve stalled, weight-wise, but when I realised I am literally in better shape, I figured that’s real progress too, and worthy of a bit of celebration. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m coming up to 56, and until a few months ago, I was not merely inactive, I was death warmed up! I had no energy for anything at all more than once a week or so. It was only thanks to my son that I did any cooking even, and thanks to my Mum that I got any shopping done. Even shopping took a whole day to recover from, and anything more ‘exciting’ would take from a few days to a week or more.

I was ok walking, as long as the weather was cool, but when it got warm, I got sore, and now it’s cool again, it’s wet over the fields, and I’ve never liked nasty by the road type walks, so I actually haven’t done much, even since I started to feel better.
    Just recently I’ve started doing indoor exercises, like modified press-ups, very gentle versions! Swimming is the best thing though, all over exercise without having to think about what exercise to do next, and no wear and tear either. I don’t think I could have done even the modified press-ups before I’d started swimming again. I thoroughly recommend swimming as a start to getting more exercise.

I’ve only lost 8-9lbs, but I feel trimmer, look thinner (or rather, less fat), and this morning I had to tighten my watch strap a notch, so I figure it has to be ‘fat turning to muscle’.

My favourite dish is ratatouille, only without the peppers. It goes well with just about anything, and it’s about the cheffiest my cooking gets!

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi Ancient Weaver
    It’s great that you are looking slimmer and you’ve had to tighten your watchstrap. Keep going with the swimming. I used to swim quite often but haven’t been for about a year, so reading about you swimming is making me feel that I must start swimming again – I like to do 20 minutes or so, which is about 20 lengths of the pool in my local leisure centre.
    I was v v naughty last night – can’t bear to admit it – I had fish n chips!!! So cross with myself, but I’m back on the low carbs today.
    Going to my friend’s house this evening – she has made salmon mousse served with avocado and lettuce, so I think that’s allowed.
    Have a great weekend.
    Looking forward to my next weigh-in on Tuesday at WeightWatchers, wonder how much damage the fish n chips has done?!?
    Nancy x

on

I find that battered fish is ok, (half a ‘large’) but chips are bad news. Two or three I have gotten away with, but a reasonable portion puts on twice it’s weight on me somewhere.
    Salmon mousse sounds just as calorific, but avoids carbs and sounds delicious. I’ve added it to my ‘try this’ list. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I had a dip in the sea on Monday, but it was very brief so I’ve been meaning to go swimming properly sometime this week, but unless I get some more sleep in the next hour or so, I think I’ll have to call this week a miss. ๐Ÿ™
    I’ve stalled big time, so I’ve stopped counting, and just gone with my appetite yesterday, and intend to do the same today, except I will be away from food after breakfast until after 4. I think it was fasting (nothing until evening meal) that triggered the slight stall to become a major stall/slight rise.

Please log in or register to post a reply.