Starting Mon 20 Nov

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by melnz
    on

I have had success with this programme before and find the fast weight loss really motivating. I am not great on persisting though and would love some buddies to share the challenges and successes virtually!

I am based in NZ, 45 years old and I struggle with my weight after a breast cancer diagnosis 4 1/2 years ago. I have stages of being really reckless with my eating and drinking, my exercise is either all on or non-existent and I am looking at a new plan for life….not just in the short term. Consistency is key!

I am doing a kind of induction week this week before I start formally. I am dropping all processed carbs, reducing fruit (I love the super sweet options like mango and grapes so will replace with berries) and reducing calories. I am spending the week reading and preparing for a focused start!

Anyone keen to join me?

• posted by alibalibee
    on

Hello Meinz, I’ll join you but I’m going to have a few days head start – I’m starting on Thursday so that I have the weekend to hide if I start suffering the effects of carb withdrawal.

I was going to wait until next week, but want to try and get a good run at it before I have a few days of more relaxed eating over Christmas. I plan on starting back properly in the new year.

I’ve warned himself and our two sons that they’re going to be fending for themselves for the next couple of weeks at least so the pressure isn’t on me, but I can’t stand the thought of not eating with them for very long, we always sit down and eat together. So I need to do what others on here have done and work out what we can all eat, they can just add extra carbs.

How did you get on with this before? I’ve done the 5:2 before but have mostly been staunchly anti diet, mainly because I’ve been in complete denial about how much weight I’ve put on!

I feel like I’m at the start of an adventure…

Ali

• posted by melnz
    on

I found it hard – not so much because I was hungry but because I am a bit of an emotional eater!! But once I got through the first few days and saw the weight dropping off so fast – it was super motivating! I am like you – planning to relax the rules a little over Christmas but then back into it.

Good luck for the start of it Ali! We can keep each other on track.

• posted by alibalibee
    on

Are you planning on posting warts and all? I think I need a bit of a confessional! I need to be honest on here so I don’t try and kid myself.

• posted by melnz
    on

I will if you will do!!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi alibalibee ad melnz – can I invite you both to join in on the four week challenges? The current one is ‘Remember, Remember ……’ and if halfway through, but we welcome joiners at anytime – it’s running until 28th Nov. The challenge threads are populated by people at all stages of the BSD journey, so there is lots of wisdom, knowledge, encouragement and support on them.

• posted by melnz
    on

Thanks so much SunnyB – will def join. This sounds very motivating!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Alibali and Mel. We welcome you to these forums, and a new
    way of life, not just a diet. Sunny is so right with her invitation to
    join in the challenge threads. It’s very comforting to have a buddy
    when you’re just starting out, but the fastest way to acquire know-
    ledge is participating with those of us who may be farther down
    the road to achieving our goals. I’m a maintainer of 6 1/2 months
    time, and I’ve accomplished more than I could have ever imagined
    with this way of life, a loss of 147 lbs. There is nothing we enjoy
    more than talking about changing our lives and our health, and
    sharing our journey with those just starting out. This is a generous
    and supportive community, and there is nothing that you will encounter
    along the way that someone here hasn’t already faced. If you have
    a question(s) just ask, and someone will be along to answer it
    in short order.
    A very warm welcome to you both. Hope to see you both out and
    about. I’ll be watching out for your posts. Best of luck 🙂

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Alibali and Mel. We welcome you to these forums, and a new
    way of life, not just a diet. Sunny is so right with her invitation to
    join in the challenge threads. It’s very comforting to have a buddy
    when you’re just starting out, but the fastest way to acquire know-
    ledge is participating with those of us who may be farther down
    the road to achieving our goals. I’m a maintainer of 6 1/2 months
    time, and I’ve accomplished more than I could have ever imagined
    with this way of life, a loss of 147 lbs. There is nothing we enjoy
    more than talking about changing our lives and our health, and
    sharing our journey with those just starting out. This is a generous
    and supportive community, and there is nothing that you will encounter
    along the way that someone here hasn’t already faced. If you have
    a question(s) just ask, and someone will be along to answer it
    in short order.
    A very warm welcome to you both. Hope to see you out and
    about. I’ll be watching out for your posts. Best of luck 🙂

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sorry about the redundancy everyone!

• posted by Roo76
    on

Hello. I’m starting Monday too – my first time! I’ve been putting on a few pounds every few months and feel horrible in my body even though I’m only about a stone over weight. Most of my problem has been emotional eating – sadness briefly alleviated by crisps, mashed potatoes, chocolate, wine and cake. Time to make a change and glad to have people to do this with me. Hello you lot. We can do this, I reckon : )

• posted by melnz
    on

Welcome Roo76 – your vices sound the same as mine. I eat to celebrate, because I am bored and when I feel down!! In my world – food (and wine) are always the answer. I am actually really looking forward to getting started!

• posted by FlyZaknAmiera
    on

I think I’m starting on Monday 20th. I’m going to a wedding do on Sunday, but hope to fast from Sunday late afternoon till breakfast Monday and then start properly. I’ve been following a low carb diet since the beginning of September I think – didn’t write it down. Eating is fine, though the suggested veg and fruit are very restricted for me – I think this will be more natural. I wasn’t comfortable with the amount of fat either – again I think this will suit me better. I fasted last night from 4pm till 7.30 this morning and have eaten my two meals, low carb but more Mediterranean than before, and come in without really trying at 783 calories, just under 24 gms carbs, water only for the rest of the day, but that suits me, so I’m not unduly worried about the reduced calories except that I don’t seem to eat much more than that normally, so only the fast will be different. I think my main sticking points will be the compulsion to stick to the pattern – it might be my normal eating pattern but no one has said I have to follow it, so I just might get the urge to break free just because. I only lost 9 1/2 lbs since I started, so I’ll be amazed and delighted if I get a rapid weight loss. I’m really only looking to lose belly fat and get my BMI to mid normal range – less than a stone should do it. I’m female, 77 years old, pretty active for my age, normally walk 2-3 hours a day with my dogs and play trombone in a brass band, which is pretty physical, and UK based. High BP, controlled by medication, but not diabetic or prediabetic. Happy to share progress etc with those of you starting out at the same time

• posted by veerle
    on

Hi Mel, Ali, Roo,
    I’m keen to start Monday too. Just ordered the books and then found this forum. It’ll be easier to do together. I’m 49, live in Belgium, and over the last few years have slowly put on kilos. Food and wine can be so relaxing after a day of work and I make less and less time for sport. So it’s time for a longer period of low calories, no wine and back to running, hoping for a visible result.
    veerle

• posted by Roo76
    on

Same for me. I’m trying to get a run in before work most mornings because then it’s done and I’m also more awake for work. I’m going to give the headspace app a go too – such a carb grazer when I’m feeling unsure or anxious. I reckon if we can get week 1 done, we’ll start feeling much better and more in control. Have a lovely weekend, all. Roo

• posted by alibalibee
    on

Good luck with the running you two. Kind of wish I could say I was doing the same thing, but I’ve never managed to stick to a running plan, mainly because I seem to hate running! More of a walker and a cyclist.

Hope you’re all prepared for Monday!

• posted by melnz
    on

Here we go! Day one. I am like you Roo76, I need to get my exercise in early before I know what I am actually doing! I went to the gym this morning, had a breakfast frittata ready for afterwards, and have planned salmon salad for lunch and chicken with asparagus and mushrooms for dinner. I had a very indulgent weekend away and while I walked a half marathon, I more than made up for it with food and wine! Like all of you, I have noticed the weight creeping on and my clothes just don’t feel comfortable anymore. I actually feel excited – even though I know this will not be easy.

• posted by alibalibee
    on

Good luck Melnz! My first few days have been up and down. First day was easy, very hungry the next day, then the carb flu hit good and proper. I feel as if I’m coming out of it though, touch wood. Have managed to successfully fight the voice in my head telling me that I don’t need to do this and that surely eating a piece of toast wouldn’t be disastrous. I was practically weeping in the supermarket yesterday looking at all of the Christmas goodies! I’m heading into day five tomorrow, and have lost at least 2.5 kg already. Hope you enjoy your salmon!

• posted by veerle
    on

Day one here too, 12 hrs after you Melnz. Ended a weekend of walks with cheese and wine with the extended family, but also cooking a pot of butternut squash soup for lunches in the next few days. Short run this morning, then a berry/almond smoothie. Excited about this.

• posted by SurreyMaggie
    on

Hello. May I join you all please? I am a long-time lurker on this site, and had some success with the diet, losing 33kg between April and November last year. I had just over 8kg to go to reach the top of my healthy BMI but a combination of circumstances has led me to fall off the wagon and put back 14kg since January. My epiphany moment came on Saturday when I carried some shopping up 5 flights of stairs and realised I was struggling with it -and it only weighed half of what I had put back on! So I started again yesterday and hope to see some improvements soon. I am joining the forums so I can both be encouraged to eat healthily and so I am publicly accountable for my food intake!

• posted by melnz
    on

Welcome, SurreyMaggie – the more the merrier! I think we all understand that feeling of things creeping up on us. That is amazing weight loss last year. I am sure you will have excellent advice for all of us!

• posted by Decade60
    on

Hello everyone. Can I join as I am beginning my BSD journey today. Read the book a while ago and then had some success with low carb eating to lose weight before a family wedding in the summer. Then it all slipped a bit (well a lot really!) and I need to get back to some sensible, healthy eating. All advice and support gratefully received.

• posted by veerle
    on

End of day 3 and going good. I find with the small, light portions that eating slowly, chewing more helps to feel filled up, and makes the meal last longer when having a family meal. Sipping coffee, water and herbal tea in between meals means I’ve not actually felt hungry.
    I thought I would be craving food more, so glad that’s not the case.

• posted by SurreyMaggie
    on

Hi everyone
    End of day 4 for me and, like veerle, I am not feeling hungry, though Sunday (1st day) was hard. It sounds mean to say it, but I think I am coping better because my husband is away this week – if he is here it is all too easy to flop onto the sofa, crack open the wine and then get out the cheese and biscuits! I have kept myself busy which is helping too.
    How is everyone else getting on?

• posted by alibalibee
    on

Hi Maggie, that’s great that you’re not feeling hungry at all. I’m just going to bed on day seven, and I have to say that I found days three, four and five really difficult, total carb flu. But the thought of having to go through all that again kept me on the straight and narrow, and I feel fine now. Think I’ve been nearer to 900 calories most days, but minimum carbs. Not even tempted by the home made cakes at work today, which I don’t think has ever happened before. It’s a revelation this diet.

• posted by alibalibee
    on

Just wanted to add that I’m starting week 2 today, weighed in this morning 3.3kg lighter than this time last week and 3cm off my waist. That’s about half a stone and just over an inch in old money. Blimey. I’m actually starting to believe that I can maybe get to a healthy BMI: it was at 32.5 and has been since I had kids. I’m finally starting to lose the baby weight…16 years later 😂

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Congratulations Alibalibee…you did it! Good for you. Great first week….onward and downward.

• posted by alibalibee
    on

Thanks Luvtcook. i just wish I’d known about this sooner!

• posted by veerle
    on

You’re right alibalibee, the hunger really hit me this morning (day 4). Luckily a small breakfast of yoghurt/linseed/nuts/berries eaten very slowly solved it. Like you SurreyMaggie, the evening glass of wine and snacks is the weak spot. I’ve also started on an easy week, working from home this week, when it’s easy to control what I cook/eat throughout the day. I’m probably a bit above 800 cal per day, as I’m not good at sticking strictly to recipes, but the book does give a good idea of what ingredients and portion sizes to aim for (and which foods to avoid). Whilst I don’t have digital scales, the old-fashioned ones I have seem to indicate 2kg down already. Amazing. I started at BMI 29, 78kg and want to go down 11kg (just into normal BMI).

• posted by SurreyMaggie
    on

Well done, Alibalibee and veerle, for your losses so far – inspiring! I will weigh in on Sunday and post then.
    Maggie

• posted by Roo76
    on

Hello everyone and well done on your week 1 willpower. Sadly, my week so far has been a bit of a flop. I caught a cold and went slightly off plan with comforting foods – nothing terrible but yesterday I went a bit toast mad and then decided I might as well have a medicinal tipple or two. Hey-ho. It’s no disaster, so I’ll try again for the last third of week 1 and hope week 2 shows results. Well done again everyone : )

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Well done all – you are going great guns. Don’t worry if you haven’t been text book, it took me a week to “bed in” to this way – it’s a lifestyle change. Imagine how good you will feel by Xmas!

🙂

• posted by Flick
    on

Hello all,

Is it OK if I join this thread? I started the 8 week Fast on 14 November.

• posted by SurreyMaggie
    on

Hi all
    As promised, I am reporting in after my first week. I have lost 4.7kg! I know that this rate of loss won’t continue, but I am pleased with the start I have made.
    I hope everyone else is successful at their weekly weigh=ins, and look forward to hearing from you all.
    Maggie

• posted by alibalibee
    on

That’s brilliant Maggie, well done!

• posted by veerle
    on

Amazing! Well done. After my week 1, weight is 3kg down. And that’s despite the dinner party I had with friends on Saturday eve, where eating fish with quinoa was perfect for the light dinner, but I did enjoy a few glasses of red wine.
    It starts to feel easy to stick to the eating plans now.

• posted by SurreyMaggie
    on

Well done to you, too, veerle, and thank you alibalibee!
    Maggie

• posted by melnz
    on

I am 3 kg down too after week 1. I did have a few sneaky vodka/diet tonics over the weekend, but otherwise have done well in week 1. I am actually finding week 2 harder. Felt woozy and weak all day yesterdat…seems my carb flu is a bit delayed!

• posted by SurreyMaggie
    on

Hi all
    Well done, Mel – a brilliant result!
    My second week has seen a 1.8kg loss, bringing my 2-week total to 6.5kg.
    How is everyone else doing?
    Maggie

• posted by veerle
    on

With a work trip away (with hotel stay), it was a challenge to stick to lowcarb/lowcal food. Also 2 evening meetings with a glass of wine. So most of the week my weight stayed the same, then dipped 1 kg over the weekend. Determined to do better this 3rd week, with no trips away planned. Overall, no cravings or hunger feelings. But doing something strenuous (e.g. garden work or cycling) I do feel the lack of sugars/ energy.

• posted by SurreyMaggie
    on

Well done, veerle -it sounds as though the circumstances were challenging but you still kept your focus!
    For the most part, I am not hungry either, but I do get the odd patch of “light-headedness” if I stand up quickly (maybe that is another symptom of eating less?). I have done some work at my allotment and been for a couple of good walks without noticing any lack of energy, but am aware that I need to be more active so I am probably not working out as hard as you!
    The oddest thing is that I am/was a cake junkie, but I find myself looking at the displays in the bakery with no more than a mild curiosity at the moment – long may it continue!
    Maggie

• posted by veerle
    on

Same here, not tempted at all by unhealthy foods at the moment, which I find remarkable. The cupboards are still filled with crisps, salty nuts, cheeses,….. my daughter happily munches them and I don’t care. The mind can be powerful once you’re determined.

How is everyone else doing?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

The light-headedness when standing up is most likely reduced blood pressure, I used to get that occasionally, after the initial ‘sodium depletion’ stage when all the excess salt that had been keeping our blood pressure artificially high was flushed out with low carb eating and all the lovely water. It settled down fairly rapidly for me, but if it keeps occurring it may be worth checking with your doctor.

• posted by SurreyMaggie
    on

Will keep an eye on this – thanks Mixnmatch.
    Maggie

• posted by veerle
    on

Weird week last week. Despite sticking to the eating plan rigorously all week, and doing its of running alternate days, weight stayed the same all week. Eventually I checked with FitnessPal whether I was eating more calories than thought, but no, calculations each day came to 800-850. I do notice my clothes being much more loose though, and my body looking slimmer.
    Eventually at the weekend I had an upset stomach (not sure why), with pain each time I ate, so I went a day with hardly any food. That made the weight drop (but not in a planned way), so overall 1 kilo down over the week

This is a week of work meetings and hotel again, with people around me eating so much and frequently. It’s easy to stay away from carbs, but I probably eat bigger portions than if I was at home.

• posted by SurreyMaggie
    on

Hi veerle
    I, too, had an odd week, weight-wise. I was doing well, losing 1kg between Sunday and Friday, then putting 900g back by Saturday! So, on Sunday, net loss for the week was 400g. Since then, I have lost a further 500g so am still not back to where I was this time last week. However, my husband has noticed my legs look slimmer, so I can only hope I am still going in the right direction. I have another week to go before we travel to Northern Ireland for Christmas, and I will be unable to weigh myself for a week.
    (Another by-product of me going back onto the BSD is that my husband, whose elevated blood sugars brought us to try the programme successfully last year, has retested and his readings have risen again to show “pre-diabetic” range, so he is trying to cut down on wine and crisps. This will help me as well as, hopefully, bringing his readings down again. He is a typical TOFI whereas I am just fat and had a lot more to lose than he ever had.)
    Onward and downward -hopefully – I am hoping to be “only” overweight, as opposed to obese, soon.
    Maggie

• posted by Amywool000
    on

I need to confess. I’m only on day 5 and this morning I ate 350cals of chocolate. I feel so guilty but hoping my confession on here will help get me back on track!
    Otherwise, I’ve lost 3.4kg in the 5 days and I’ve been struggling to cope with the lack of food. Green tea has been useful for hunger pangs! I also noticed I’m constipated which I hate!

Im worries about this plateau. When does it happen? I need to not let it demotivate me!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Well Amy eating 350 cals of chocolate is easily done – what 2 or 3 chocolates – put it behind you and get on with this way of eating. You are doing so well so dont let that slip up discourage you. As for plateau, normally about week 3 but will happen several times, say week 3 week 7 week 10, whenever your body needs to adjust to its new weight and food regime. Constipation wont help either and may seem like you are not losing much, you are just keeping it inside. It will pass, drink lots of water and maybe sprinkle some chia seeds on a morning yoghurt. I still swear by Andrews Liver Salts for really bad times. Yes you can still buy them.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

What are your daily carb counts? Are you still eating anything in the wheat, grain, cereals, rice, root veg and sugar categories? A sugar binge so early in the game is likely driven by carb addiction. A lot of people experience intense cravings for junk when they first cut them out of their diet. They get headaches, fatigue, aches and pains. That’s known as the carb flu. There is only one remedy for it and that’s to grit your teeth and tough it out. It doesn’t last long. You have to detox from carbs or you’ll just keep eating them instead of actually doing the BSD.

I wouldn’t worry about plateaus. You have far more pressing issues to address right now. Losses come and go at different rates. You roll with the punches and keep focused on your goals.

As far as your hunger is concerned, turn to fat and fiber. Some foods like flax seeds, chia seeds and avocado have lots of fiber and healthy Omega-3 fats. Add the seeds to salads and yogurt for an easy boost. Broccoli, spinach, rapini and leafy cooking greens like collards and mustard greens are high in fiber. Steam them and sautee quickly with a tsp of high quality olive oil and a grating of parmesan for a very filling dish. You can pile those types of veggies high on the plate to get you over the transition from your old ways to the BSD way of eating.

Good luck!

• posted by Amywool000
    on

Thank you guys!!

My daily calories are 800 with no more than 850 or less than 750. If I’m low I have a glass of milk before bed.

I’ve been eating lots of veg and I’m really enjoying it. Grilled peppers with a sprinkle of feta is sooo good! I definitely need to drink more though, so thank you!

Before now I was certainly addicted to carbs. I have quite a stressful life at the moment so it’s easy to emotionally eat. I also managed a 20 min and 30 minute run on Monday and Tuesday. Rest day yesterday.

Thank you all for the encouragement. It definitely helps! I hope you guys are all doing well. I certainly feel healthier, less sluggish and in control of myself which is such a good feeling.

Please log in or register to post a reply.