Starting 3rd April

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by luciaslife
    on

I did the 8week plan last year and lost 22lb and absolutely loved it, but home stresses have sent me back into comfort eating and carb addiction so its time to start again. Knowing i have done it before gives me confidence i can do this but if anyone else is starting tomorrow after too many Easter eggs and hot cross buns please let me know.

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi, I’m Max.
    I’m starting April 3rd as well. 🙂

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Hi Max, how much are you hoping to lose. I’m going for about 16LBs
    Regards
    Lucia

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi luciaslife,

Good luck with the bsd way of life.

I couldnt do it the normal way, so i broke every step into baby steps.
    Hope you take a look at my blogs from way back.
    I still look back and am grateful in how far i have come.

I have a far bit to go.

Love lucia

Xxxx

Ps, inoticed your user name has my name in it. 😀

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi, Lucia.
    How cool that your name and my user name are related. 🙂 We were meant to hookup.
    I don’t know how much I hope to lose. I’m not sure what the rate will turn out to be. I’d love to lose 20 to 25 lbs so that’s what I’ll shoot for.

It’s good to see that you have experience on it. On average how much did you lose per week?

xxx
    Max.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi maximin,

I varied from gaining three pounds for a week, when i didnt prepare in advance to
    dropping a regular three pounds a week when i
    was truthful to myself ,
    did the bsd to the best of my abilty,
    shifted my fat arse off the settee,
    said NO! To my so-called friends who said ‘oh one wont hurt you’,
    kept my chins high,
    my hands in my pockets instead of reaching for a cake,
    Used smaller plates,
    Put a (false) smile on my face when i could only have the salad option when going out for a meal,
    Lying through my teeth saying, oh sorry i have just ate a big meal before i came out to the aunty that has to just make a little sandwich/porkpie/cake/biscuits for me because i look starved (she may have cataracts as i was the size of an adult hippo)
    To pouring salt over food to stop me going back into the kitchen for thirds

You getting the picture?

It isnt easy, but you learn the ways of the wise on how to make a detour away from food.

If you read my blog, i once watched chicken being cooked in the oven and shaouting at it to hurry up as i was so hungry.

You learn what you can nibble on it you are starving, but again i repeat,
    The secret is preparation, from buying the right food to , well, knowing the convincing LIES to say to people who are so self-centered that you are forced to eat something even if you dont want to.
    I learned to go for a tinkle and wash my hands, just to break away from the
    Oh just have one,
    For me,
    I made them especially for you,
    Dont be selfish take one
    Dont upset your auty/gran/mother/neighbour its a snub if you dont try one
    Whats wrong with you?
    Are you trying to be funny?
    Look, aunty is putting them away now as you have upset her.

As you can see, not only did i have to convince myself to eat the right things, but also face world war three every time i went anywhere.

Now i am healthier, slimmer and most importantly brought my whole family together as they all agree i am mental.

I didnt focus on the number on the scales or what number i lost.
    I focused on, i can now walk up the stairs without stopping.
    I can now walk to the bus stop.
    I can put tights on without killing myself

Love lucia
    Xxx

• posted by treelady
    on

Lucia,
    your last post so resonated with me – it’s amazing what other people will say when you refuse (quite reasonably) the offered piece of cake etc. And your last sentence made me laugh out loud – I so get what you mean by killing yourself while trying to put on tights.
    : )

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi Lucia.
    Funny and sad. Thanks for the post. I’m not sure how to get to your blog. Sorry. 🙂

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Hi Max.
    I lost a couple of lbs a week. Looking forward to tomorrow and hoping so much i can see it through the eight weeks, i need to get some control back in my life.

• posted by Denise susan
    on

Hi all,
    I am also a returnee! Started April 2016 and lost 3.5 stone kept 2.5 to 3 stone off for 18 months then allowed life to sabotage myself and got up to 14stone 9lbs!! Weight loss this time has been very slow average 2lbs a week but I have stuck with it. I am doing 16:8, 2 meals and probably need to look more carefully at exact calories as drink too much milk not really counted and meals are often 440 or 470 so room to wiggle there!! I have lost 1 stone 4lbs BG is all over the place so have stopped reading. Exercise is Dr Mosley 5 minute HIIT in the morning daily, a walk to shops or with the dog (she sniffs too much) and 2 minute plank before bed!!
    Goals continue weight loss, start swimming again although I hate it! Get blood sugar under control!! I am not under GP as haven’t gone back as don’t want the label!! Set long term goal of maintaining by October and 55th birthday!!

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi Lucia.
    I know what you mean. I’m just sick of me. I’m ready for the next 8 weeks. Good luck to us both! 🙂

Max

• posted by Rach99
    on

Hi all,
    I’m starting today too. I’ve never done this diet before but hoping this will be one that will make a difference!! Good to read your about your previous successes with it.

Rachel

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Glad you are keeping going. I felt so good last year when I reached my goal. Determined this time not to sabotage myself when I get down to my goal .
    Lucia

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Hi Rachel
    Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Hopefully support will keep you focussed. Last time I did it, every time I was tempted I used to ask myself what I wanted most – the treat or to be slim and healthy. It usually worked
    Regards
    Lucia

• posted by mosh250
    on

Hello everyone. I’m starting today too and I’m so pleased to see there is a forum for support as I know I will need it! I had great success with the Harbcombe diet (if you have heard of it) and kept the weight off for two years until my 60th birthday, then once the photos were taken, I think i just lost it and have self inflated since! That diet was too fiddly, and I love Michael Mosley, so I’m giving this one a go as it sounds healthy and normal (apart from the tiny amount of calories allowed of course!). I’m working from his book which has a few menu plans in it, I just wish it had shopping lists too. I’m already feeling a bit light headed and this is just day one! Trying to drink tons of water…..can’t leave the house for long for obvious reasons! ANyway, here goes, and good luck to us all.
    Mosh

• posted by Jude63
    on

Hello everyone. I’m starting again today having done the BSD last year and lost 2 stones. Fantastic! But now I’ve put back on a stone and need to get back on track. I was going to try 2 meals a day (lunch and dinner) of 300 calories each plus teas and coffees with milk which I would find miserable to give up. How are others starting?
    Jude

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Very similar to you Jude . Had chicken salad for lunch and the will have kebabs with cauliflower rice and salad for supper . Trying to do without milk in coffee so I might be able to have berries with yoghurt when my sweet cravings take over .
    Regards
    Lucia

• posted by luciaslife
    on

The light headedness goes after a day or two . I think it’s just shock!

• posted by Jude63
    on

Good idea. Could try and reduce the milk. Your meals sound nice. I’m off to the cinema tonight which will keep me out of the fridge!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Jude63, have you ever considered using unsweetened almond milk to replace dairy? Much lower in carbs 🙂

• posted by Jude63
    on

Thanks for the tip, Alliecat. Will pop in to Aldi and give it a whirl.

• posted by mosh250
    on

There was mention in the 8 week blood sugar diet book of meal substitutes, I’m guessing some sort of protein shakes. Does anyone know of any that would work in this diet for those occasions when you just don’t have time to cook for yourself (‘cos you’re probably cooking for others too and they don’t want to be on this diet!). …it would just be handy to have something to grab and go when you just can’t think. I would bet most grateful to hear of something. (I’m thinking ahead now ha ha ha). Thanks

• posted by luciaslife
    on

I haven’t tried them . I’m mean I make my husband have what I’m cooking and if he insists he can add rice , potatoes or bread. He’s the one with type 2 diabetes so I’m hoping he will jump in and do the diet properly himself .
    Regards
    Lucia

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Mosh250,
    There has been chat about the shakes on different threads in the past, the majority view is to not use them. Most of them have high levels of sugar and you are trying to break away from sugar in your diet.
    I suspect that the main reason shakes have been used in research projects is that it will make it simpler to get a large number of people following an identical diet by giving them packaged servings but they may not be using the commercially marketed versions. – I find making an omlette or scrambling some eggs in a bowl using a microwave is a quick way of grabbing something to eat and staying on plan.
    I think people are dealing with the problems of needing quick meals by having cooking / freezing batches. They serve the same BSD friendly meal for all the family but serve rice or potatoes for those not on the diet.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi maximin

In the search box top right of this web page
    Key in
    My eight weeks …
    Or
    Lucia 2017

You can laugh at how daft i am

Love lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by GEGE
    on

Hi in just starting today as well looking forward to the forum chats for support and motivation x

• posted by luciaslife
    on

So one day in, how’s everyone feeling? I did it last year without a support forum just dipping in occasionally but i am hoping the forum will keep me on track. I’ve stocked up on celery, carrots and cucumber cut into sticks for when i get desperate.

Regards
    Lucia

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi luciaslife,

Previously
    Breakfast cornflakes or weetabix or toast
    Lunch sandwich
    Dinner potatoes or pasta or rice with stuff.

No wonder i was hooked on carbs.

I couldnt turn from one to the other so i just focused on breakfasts with out carbs for a week,
    Then focused on lunches, then dinner. So within three weeks i was on the path.
    I started my excerise by walking around the house during the tv commercials. Long enough to start with.
    Then walked to the end of my little road, rested, walked back.
    Then walked around the block.
    After a month or so, i could go out for an actual walk.
    Park futher away from shops
    Take the laundry upstairs in small amounts, so i climb more stairs, than take the whole load up once.
    You do get creative.

Love lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi team,
    A good question is….
    Am i hungry?
    Or
    Bored?
    Or
    Just a habit?

I take a drink when i feel like this, or stuck a mint.
    This breaks me out of the habit of just shoving food in my mouth.
    I have a tast of the mint, but not eaten a meal.

Just a thought for us all.

Love lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by DaisyP
    on

Hi
    Awaiting delivery today of both the Blood sugar diet and cook books. My husband has got type2 diabetes and we both need to lose weight so will be doing this together. Can’t wait to get started tomorrow!

DaisyP

• posted by Little Annie
    on

Another shame faced returnee, did grea last yeartby losing 1 and 1/2 stone and I only had aone more stone to lose then….
    life caught up
    I got complacent
    and then just comfort ate..
    Just been to Drs and thankfully have not got diabetes, but 1st thing they said was “just jump on the scales” talk about mortified and annoyed with myself , so I’m back on the bandwagon as of Fri 6th ….hope it’s not too late to join you all ?

Good luck all

Annie x

• posted by Jude63
    on

Definitely not too late. Well done for joining. You’ve done it before and you can do it again x

• posted by LLFT
    on

Hi everyone,
    I am completely new to this program and started yesterday, so one day behind most of you.
    I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes 7 years ago and it didn’t go away, to the surprise of my doctors. I was managing fine without medication but began studying again about 2 years ago, which meant decreased exercise, less focus on healthy eating and, as a consequence, the weight creeping up. I have been on metformin for maybe 6 months now, and no matter how hard I have tried to lose weight it’s like it just keeps going up!
    So I am really excited to try this diet. I want to lose 10kg (22lb) and be medication free.
    My main issues with sticking to the diet will be:
    – the fact that I hate cooking, so usually prefer something super quick in one pot (like pasta!),
    – I have two young children who are SUPER fussy eaters so I will have to make two meals a night
    – I have friends who LOVE their alcohol and food (as do I!) and don’t understand what I’m trying to do
    The good news, already, is that the food I made yesterday (despite taking WAY longer than I would normally spend cooking!) was REALLY tasty. I have tried doing VLCDs in the past but get sick of salad, salad, salad. The fact that it’s tasty means I hopefully wont feel like I’m missing out.
    PLUS, I already lost 1kg in one day! I know that it’s mainly water (and easter eggs) and I wont keep going at that rate but it’s nice to see something positive straight away to keep me motivated for at least another day 🙂
    I did have a MASSIVE headache all last night, though, despite drinking about 3L of water. It’s a little better today but I am also feeling a bit light headed. Anyone else experience this type of stuff?
    Good luck to everyone who has just started, I look forward to hearing how you are all going.
    Leanne

• posted by luciaslife
    on

I’m a returnee too, and there is no shame in it. The good news is we have this great tool of the diet to sort us out with all the health benefits it will bring.
    Lucia

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Well done for starting Leanne. Just keep reminding yourself of how wonderful it will be to be medication free. How much your kids will benefit from having an energised and healthy mum, and how green your friends are going to be when you are slimmer and healthier than they are.

Lucia

• posted by Little Annie
    on

Thanks Jude63 tomorrow is crunch time x

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Good luck to anyone starting tomorrow, and stay strong anyone on day three. So glad i joined a forum this time as i think it will keep me on the straight narrow.

Lucia

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi gang,

None of you have commented….

Dont you think i look healthier? Slimmer? Been doing it three and a half days now!

Let me look at you all, wow! You all look great!
    Keep it up.

B yoghurt and frozen berries
    L just salad
    D carrots ( i know) cauli and a slice of boiled ham

Love lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Jude63
    on

Thanks for keeping us going Lucia.
    I have lost a pound so going the right way. I’ve also signed up for the BSD online programme – hoping that throwing money at it will help me to persevere. They encourage you to set goals so my goal is to lose 1.5 stones and 28″ waist which will take more than a diet – exercise and a miracle!
    I hope everyone is ok and encouraged x

• posted by luciaslife
    on

I would be interested to hear how you get on with the online programme Jude . I am hoping that the forum alone will keep me going . As there are two Lucias on here, I think it’s best if I sign myself as Lucie to prevent confusion. My username is luciaslife.

My approach for now is to miss breakfast and to have 2x 300 calories meals and teas and coffees as normal with the odd celery stick thrown in for luck .

• posted by Little Annie
    on

Hey Lucia you’re looking fabulous!!!..
    Way to go Lucie (Luciaslife)
    Well done Jude63 I’m not brave enough to weigh every day I will battle the scales once a week!!
    Everyone of us are on our way
    Keep going all x

• posted by LLFT
    on

Good on you, Jude, for starting the online program and losing a pound already! the online program is my back-up if I can’t do this on my own. But, like you Lucie, I’m hoping having others to chat to will keep me encouraged and motivated!
    I’m now at the start of day 4. I found day 3 hard, not because I was hungry so much but because I was struggling to fight my food habits. The excitement and enthusiasm has worn off and I found myself wanting to grab something to munch in the afternoon (I always used to get afternoon munchies), and nibble on something sweet after dinner. But I fought it, and i’m glad I did. I also fought the urge to eat burgers and chips at lunch, as I was out with a friend and all our kids and that’s what they all ate. But I stuck to the salad. It was hard, but I am proud of myself, every other time I have tried to lose weight I have given myself free passes for when I’m out with friends and then that turns into a completely ruined day and less motivation to keep going.
    I’ve been eating two eggs for breakfast every day, then roughly 200 cal lunch and 400 cal dinner. I’ve had a few carrots, too, when I’m feeling peckish, so I may be pushing over the 800 cals slightly.

• posted by luciaslife
    on

LLFT i find the afternoon munchies hard to resist too. Sainsbury’s do some delicious frozen summer berries which i defrost in the fridge , make up preweighed tupperware pots of 100g and find that will help my craving for a sweet treat. Or i treat myself to a cup of herbal tea and ten minutes with he crossword. Either way the treat bit seems to give me the strength to get through until supper time. It sounds a bit pathetic to be talking about being strong to get through to supper when its just a diet and hardly life and death, but hey ho..

Good luck for Saturday everyone. Early days but we are doing fine.
    Lucie

• posted by SarahChebel
    on

Hi,

I am now on day 4, so far, it’s going okay. I also found day 3 hard, the same problem with the afternoon munchies! I went for a 2 hour walk too and this seemed to make me really hungry! I possibly didn’t drink enough water, but I couldn’t resist the temptation to snack, and snacked on some almonds and walnuts, not sure exactly how many calories I consumed because I kept going back for a few more! I’m really cross with myself as I’ve been following all the meals from the book. I just weighed myself and I’ve put on a little since yesterday but maybe I should just weigh once a week?
    Another thing I have noticed on this diet, I’m really bloated in afternoon/evening, looked six months pregnant last night!! I’m wondering if it’s all the fibre and my body’s not used to it? Has anyone else had this?
    Sarah x

• posted by Pancita
    on

Hi Sarah,
    I’m sorry to see you’re suffering with bloating. Eating like this has cured mine! I had it one day last week after a lunch out with friends, and I moaned a lot, I had forgotten just how uncomfortable and miserable it can be. And I couldn’t stop looking at my massive swollen midriff!
    Are you eating a lot of vegetables? Stick to small portions of vegetables, and put some butter or olive oil on so there will be more fat and they’ll taste good and satisfy your appetite. The meals in the book are all quite small, though. I can’t think of many other sources of fibre in the foods on this way of eating. Cereal was my number 1 “bloater”, bread a close second. I actually have quite a neat little tum without those now!
    Could you maybe be constipated?
    Anyway, wishing you well xx

• posted by SarahChebel
    on

Hi Panceta,

Thanks for your reply, only just discovered the forum so still trying to work it out!

I have probably been having too much veg! I’ve definitely been filling up my plate with more vegetables than it says in the book, but I think it’s because I’m worried I’ll be too hungry otherwise! Today I will try and make sure I just stick to the plan and see if that helps. Before this diet I suffered with bloating and constipation, I suffer with irritable bowel ( sorry probably tmi!) but was hoping this diet would improve my general overall health. I had a baby 8 months ago and had gestational diabetes and since am struggling to keep my blood sugars stable.

Hopefully if I stick to the plan I will get there! It’s good to read everyone’s posts…. very motivating!!

Sarah 😊

• posted by Pancita
    on

Hi Sarah,
    I did Weight Watchers and Scottish Slimmers before and they always encouraged us to fill our plates with “free” vegetables, they were boiled and dry and took a lot of chewing and they were ssoo boring. But I did it because I was told to!
    Now I have vegetables in much smaller amounts. We buy the organic and the interesting varieties, and cook them to maximise enjoyment. Roasted in olive oil. Mashed with butter and cream. Fried in butter. Cooked in cream, even! And we just have a bit, and there’s nothing dry or boring about them and THERE’S NO BLOAT!
    This diet is so different from anything I’ve ever done so it took some getting used to, and you’ll get there too. It has helped OH with his IBS, seems he’s sensitive to grains and without those he suffers far less symptoms, hopefully this will be true for you too.
    Onwards and downwards!
    xx

• posted by mosh250
    on

HI again. I keep hoping to see someone feeling the same symptoms as me and to find out what to do about it, but alas, I seem to be on. My own! I started on 3 April and am still feeling quite light headed…although drinking tons of water. I also feel as if I’m losing all my muscles! They feel as though they are wasting and I have much less power in my legs in particular. Do you think I’m burning muscle instead of fat? That is what I reckon. BUT, how do I sort that out? I would be most grateful for any answers. By the way, I am working very strictly from the BSD book’s recipe plan. Thanks in anticipation for any helpful suggestions. Mosh x

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Hi Mosh,
    I have experienced feeling light headed and headaches in the first few days but seem to be over it now. If the diet is very different from what you normally eat it’s bound to be a horrid shock to the system . Perhaps don’t try and do masses of exercise until you have got used to the diet. I’m no scientist so can’t comment on the muscle loss but I wouldn’t think that would be the case . I think it’s worth being gentle with yourself in the first few days and hopefully you’ll feel better and better.

Regards
    Lucie

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hi Mosh, I don’t think you are losing muscle just yet! I think you probably have carb flu. It will pass, though there are others better equipped to tell you about that in detail. Broadly, you feel crap for about a week, like you have flu, as your body adjusts. Hope that helps? Xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.