Starting 3rd April

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SarahChebel
    on

Hi Mosh,

I have been feeling quite light headed too last few days…. I do think it’s my body missing the carbs!! Hoping it passes soon! 😩

• posted by mosh250
    on

Thanks Jackie M. I shall await in anticipation for someone to post something about ‘carb flu’. I’m still really wobbly and weak…booo hoooo. Don’t want to have to give up. Going to the gym on Monday to see if they can assist with muscle build up at least. Mosh x

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Hi Mosh , I’d never heard of carb flu but apparently it does exist. Sounds like you need to slow down a bit and not reduce your carbs down to much until your body acclimatises. All the advice I found on the internet suggested upping fluid intake and adding a bit of salt to you water and also upping fat intake . Hope that helps. Go gently
    Lucie

• posted by Little Annie
    on

Hi Mosh and all,
    I had “carb flu” last year it lasted about 10 days, I felt lightheaded and weak with horrible joint pain, but it did PASS. I then felt energised and very committed to this way of eating. When I thought about it, I realised my body had had a lifetime of eating in a completely different way so 10 days wasn’t such a long time to try and get used to something new. I did up my water and salt intake which helped. Luckily not had it this time round but time will tell!
    Keep going eveyone we can do this
    Lots of love,
    Annie

• posted by mosh250
    on

Thank you Lucie and Annie. I’ll hang on in for a while yet so. Drinking as much as possible and having a few mugs of homemade veggie stock with a squeeze of two of lemon a day (plenty of salt in that). Fingers crossed. Hoping the nasty symptoms disappear soon. Mosh x

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi team,

I soooo needed toast with my cooked breakfast (at lunchtime).
    Later
    Hubby said… fancy a sandwich… 😢😢😢😢😢
    Then another question to me
    Shall i put some chips in the oven and have it with chicken , bread and butter?

For goodness sake, i have more offers of carbs than you can shake a stick at.
    So i had….
    So, scrambled eggs, bacon mushrooms for lunch.

Cauliflower rice and fish for main meal.

Exercise …. walking away quickly from all the carb offers.

Hope you are all coping with sunday!

Love lucia
    Xxx

• posted by LLFT
    on

Congratulations, Lucia, for not giving in to all those carb offers!! You must feel good about it now, right?
    I had a difficult Sunday. After quite easily resisting temptation on Friday (friend and kids had burgers – I had salad) and Saturday (dinner at my friend’s house who was cooking pizza – I had some sort of vegie bake thing), I really struggled Sunday. I went to a 6 year old’s birthday party, and her mum had cooked up this amazing Chinese feast (she is Chinese so it was authentic, home made Chinese food – yumm!) for all the adults and it looked so good! I tried to choose some salads, vegies and a few prawns which was delicious, and I didn’t over indulge. HOWEVER, the food clearly had some more carbs and sugars than we should be eating so all afternoon I was craving sugar and carbs like my kids easter eggs, or a piece of buttered toast. I managed to resist, though I did eat a few more nuts than I should have, just to keep myself from eating something else. Anyway, I got through it and am feeling normal again today. I should be right the rest of the week until ANOTHER kids birthday party on Saturday!
    Hope everyone is going OK, and I hope you’re feeling better soon, Mosh.
    Leanne

• posted by luciaslife
    on

For some of us it’s a week now and like you Mosh, i’ve been feeling pretty ropey, though i don’t know if its a real cold or carb flu. My nose seems to think it’s real. So today i braved the scales and am delighted to report 5lb. I know, I know mostly water but a great encouragement to keep going. I am also looking forward to the energy and clear headedness i remember from last year. I am lucky i don’t have kids parties and burger temptations but my husband keeps buying delicious bread and leaves it out on the worktop in front of me. So far i resist.

How is everyone else doing?
    Lucie

• posted by Rach99
    on

HI Lucie,
    I weighed in this morning too and have lost 5lb!! I’m pleased with that and just want to keep going now. I always struggle weeks 2/3 on diets to keep the momentum going. At least there are no easter eggs left in the house this week tempting me !!!
    Rachel

• posted by Maximin
    on

Excellent, Rachel. I wish I could report such great results but I had a disastrous start. I won’t go into details but suffice to say, I have to start over. I’m hoping to do better next week.

Great job everyone!

• posted by LLFT
    on

I have completed one week. Hooray! I am proud of myself, my diets usually don’t last more than 3 days! 😀
    I have lost 2.2kg (4.8lbs – I’m in Australia hence my use of kg. Where are you all from?) so I am pretty happy with that. Congrats to Lucie and Rachel for your results, too!
    Maximin, don’t worry about the bad start. As the great philosopher Jon Bon Jovi once said, success is falling nine times and getting up ten.
    Good luck for week two, everyone!
    Leanne

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi Gang.
    Thanks, Lucia and everyone for being encouraging. I must say that I outdid myself this weekend. I’m embarrassed to say that I went binge-eating. It was as if I was possessed! I’m struggling to gain control but I really do want to do this. Thanks for this forum and thread!

LOL, Leanne! Thanks for the sage Bon Jovi advice.

I’m so glad to hear all the people doing well. And for those struggling like me, I feel your pain!

Here’s to next week!
    Max

• posted by SarahChebel
    on

Hi everyone,

Hope you don’t mind me joining in, I started a day later! Weighed myself today and just lost 1kg this week. Bit disappointed as so many people loose a lot more in first week, however for some reason my body is always slow to loose weight. Have a stone and a bit to loose or 7kg, could be a slow process! I’ve adjusted my carbs to around 20g yesterday and I’ll see if that speeds things up a bit plus I haven’t been overly active yet as I’ve found I’ve felt really weak with little energy but hopefully that will improve too.
    Well done everyone on your great achievements!!!!
    Here’s to week 2……!!!! 😊
    Sarah xx

• posted by LynnyPinny
    on

Hi all, hope you don’t mind another late joiner – I’m a week behind as I’m just starting again today (I did the 8-week diet very successfully last summer but fell off the wagon around about Christmastime and have had some tricky personal stuff going on since then, which never helps since I’m primarily a comfort-eater…). Anyway, I felt the need to join a forum group as I think it gives me a bit more motivation and keeps me honest! Last year I found the first two weeks the hardest, with pretty awful carb flu, so I’m hoping that hearing about all your successes over the coming weeks will spur me on through it. Cheers for now!
    Lyn

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Hi Lyn ,

Well done for joining us, the more the merrier. Do you have much to lose ? I’m aiming for 20lbs in total .

Best wishes
    Lucie

• posted by LynnyPinny
    on

Hey Lucie, I don’t have a massive amount to lose, so my main aim is to stick with it as strictly as I can for the full 8 weeks and see just how much I can get rid of. My goal is to shift around 10lbs and try to up my daily exercise rate to tone up a bit, so anything around or over that amount would be great, but we’ll see how it goes – lots of outside life factors and circumstances combining to try and throw me off track right now! Plus I know I’m going to need to get through at least a week of the dreaded carb flu first as well…

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi Sarah.
    No problem for late starters. I’m glad there are some because I had a no-go first week. 🙂 So, we’ll be starting together.

Welcome!

• posted by SarahChebel
    on

Hi Maximim,
    Thanks! I was doing well until today… took the kids to a theme park and although I had prepared food for myself I succumbed massively to my carb cravings…. biscuits, chips….. soooo cross with myself! 😬 but will get up tomorrow and start again. Just annoying as I felt I was only just getting through the “carb flu “ now I’m hoping I won’t have to go through it again!

Sarah xx

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi Sarah.
    Don’t feel bad. I too succumbed today. We had a celebration at work and there were gourmet donuts and I WAS NOT passing that up. So tomorrow for me too!
    Max

• posted by Little Annie
    on

Welcome to all the new starters, we’re all in this together!,
    Congrats to all of you losers….that’s great stuff and encouragement to us all.
    Hope you’re feeling better Mosh
    Maximim and Sarah don’t beat yourselves up, you are still here and that’s the main thing.. I too succumbed …..firstly to the red wine (my biggest downfall), closely followed by chinese pork dumplings….my idea of heaven. Hey ho I had lost 3lb not so sure now after that blow out..
    Onwards and downwards as they say
    Tomorrow is another day
    Love Annie x

• posted by LynnyPinny
    on

Thanks for the welcome all. Three days in and I actually feel ok so far – I haven’t been quite as strict as I was last time, so hopefully this will minimize my carb flu. I could have done with being a bit stricter today, mind you; I gave in to takeaway coffee and a croissant this morning at work (but it was lovely) so I’ll have to try harder tomorrow. Have decided not to weigh myself at all until my first full week marker on Wednesday. Fingers crossed for some movement in the right direction!
    Annie, red wine is also my poison and part of the reason I’m back on this diet! I’m planning on avoiding it totally for at least a couple of weeks (if I can)…
    Hope everyone else is good today. 🙂
    Lyn

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Welcome Lyn,
    Glad you have joined us. I have been keeping strictly to the diet but after my initial flurry of weight loss am now sticking as my body seems to get used to the deprivation quite quickly so feeling a bit flat now. But great to have a group, a) for encouragement and b) so i feel i can’t let others down by not going on. I am teaching a group of ladies paint techniques today so there will be cake and biscuits all day. Going to need every ounce of my resolution.
    I just keep reminding myself of how great it’ll feel to be slim and healthy and free from carb tyranny! Ok so i’m being a bit melodramatic here!

Regards
    Lucie

• posted by SarahChebel
    on

Morning everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well?
    I have been really strict with myself last few days and kept my carbs at about 20g. I’m still not at the point where I don’t feel hungry so it’s not easy! I’m still feeling weak with low energy which makes it hard to exercise but I’m hoping in a few more days my energy levels will pick up! How is everyone else finding it?
    I managed a trip to McDonald’s yesterday with kids and just had a cup of tea…. that was hard! But I was determined!
    Good luck Lucie with the cake temptation today!
    It’s a lovely sunny day today so I’m planning on going on a long walk. I hope everyone has a great weekend!! 😊

• posted by LynnyPinny
    on

Hi there, hope everyone’s doing well – it’s all gone a bit quiet! I’m due to do my weigh and measure tomorrow so not sure how I’ve actually done in my first week back yet, but I definitely FEEL like I’ve lost a pound or two, less bloated and sluggish. I’ve not been hugely strict with keeping carbs below 50g every single day but I have pretty much kept my calories to the 800-900 mark, and drinking loads more water than usual. I had a splitting headache yesterday but other than that have managed to avoid carb flu so far; although I do feel particularly jittery and a bit hyper this time – has anyone else experienced this? My sleep has also been more interrupted, though it wasn’t so bad last night. Fingers crossed for some positive results tomorrow!
    Lyn x

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Hi yes I’ve had headaches sand felt jittery but hoping more fluids will help this . Weighed myself today and have lost 3lbs so 8lbs in total. I seem to remember last time I did it getting stuck in week three so I may not be so jolly next week and I got constipated. How’s everyone else doing?

Onwards and downwards hopefully
    Regards
    Lucie

• posted by LLFT
    on

Hi everyone!
    2 weeks done already. I honestly didn’t think I would make it two weeks, but here i am, still going strong!
    I have lost 3.5kg (7.7lb) total. I had a day of feeling so hungry and light-headed the other day, but happily it was just one day. Other than that, I’ve been feeling good, though a little tired.
    I think I will face my biggest challenge this week – I have to go away for work and most of the food available is not great. I am staying in an apartment, though, so am trying to plan ahead and take some pre-made food for myself for lunches and dinner.
    Well done, Lucie, on your success so far. Hopefully, this time, week 3 is kinder to you.
    And Lyn, good luck with the weigh-in.
    Leanne 🙂

• posted by LynnyPinny
    on

Hey all,
    Congrats Leanne, that’s a great result, well done! 🙂
    I’m also away with work next week, which I agree is going to be a huge pain (the red wine is calling to me). It’s only for two days though, so I’ll just have to suck it up (the situation, not the red wine). Particularly since the results are in and I’ve only lost 1.5lbs in my first week… I know it’s better than nothing but I’m a little disappointed as last time, I lost 2.5lbs in both my first and second weeks. What it tells me pretty simply is that I’m not being strict enough with my carb intake – I’ve been mostly good about keeping the cals down, but my carbs have crept above 50g most days, so I’m just going to have to knuckle down a bit more! I lost an inch off my waist this week which again, is something, but it feels like I have such a looooooong way to go still. I’m aiming to lose around half a stone in total, which would take me back to the weight I really want to be (and have been in the past, if I’d stop being such a greedy pig and eating and drinking whatever the hell I like EVERY winter, which then forces me to diet to lose it all again in time for summer and skimpy clothes). I’m doing this for a combination of health reasons, self-esteem and general well-being. Plus I’m 43 and can feel the pounds slowly creeping on with every year, and they’re getting harder and harder to shift. I’m not overweight for my height and I don’t have a lot to lose, but at the minute it feels like a mammoth task. Kinda mad with myself today and a bit blue – which just makes me want to reach for the nearest croissant. And I can’t. MEH. MEH. And MEH some more.
    Sorry for the ranty downer post – hope everyone else is doing well today!
    Lyn

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Hi Lyn I feel much like you , although I have a bit more to lose than you I think those few pounds can be harder to shift than if it’s a large amount as the results are so slow. Your point about carbs creeping up is very true for me , definitely not all calories are the same. I will try harder today , there is nothing in my fridge at work but lean meat and salad and celery so that’s me sorted at least until home time.
    Good luck today everyone
    Lucie

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Sorry predictive text ! Should say good luck everyone

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Two week plateau! I have been stuck now for nearly a week. I am sticking to my calories, eating within an eight hour window, and not a potato, noodle or piece of bread have passed my lips. A bit fed up, though looking at other forums i can see its a common problem. I even experienced it last year so why i am surprised I don’t know. I think i’m just having a tantrum because i am being so good and not getting instant gratification. I will up my fluids and check my carbs and stop moaning.

How is everyone else doing, its gone very quiet on here.

Regards
    Lucie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi luciaslife,
    I just thought I would stick my head round the door (seeing as I didn’t start on the 3rd of April but I like to start my day by reading all new posts) and say that whenever I have had a no scales change period I have seen an inch change.
    There’s also all sorts of other NSV to look out for, getting into a favourite outfit, increases in fitness, and don’t forget – A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat but its more dense so takes up less space.

• posted by Little Annie
    on

Hi all
    Sorry for the quiet spell I’ve not been too well …

one good thing Lyn I haven’t felt like red wine at all 🙂 I think this is a good place to let off steam as we can all relate to how you feel keep the faith you’re 5lb lighter than when you started ..which is the same as myself , i’m also going for a stricter carb weeek next week

Lucie I hate that feeling / plateau and I think I’m due that next week (If last year is anything to go by) but I stuck with it and remember the whoop when the needle finally went downward,, I think JGwen makes a good point too it’s not all about the scales!

Leanne that’s brilliant and Sarah well done ..long may you resist temptation.

Here’s to all of us…and for those of usin the Uk enjoy the long awaited sunshine

Annie x

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Hi Annie,

I hope you are feeling better and thanks for the words of encouragement. I know from doing the diet before that it is well worth sticking with. I have just been stamping my feet a little. Been for a long walk this morning with friends so feeling much better and ready to get back to concentrating.

Best wishes
    Lucie

• posted by LLFT
    on

Hi everyone!
    Lucie, I think I am on that plateau with you! I was away for 4 days and very pleased when I returned and found I had at least maintained the same weight – I was terrified I would add on. But then, after what I thought was a REALLY good day yesterday, I had a 300g (0.66lb) increase this morning. It’s my first plateau/weight gain so far, but I was very disappointed. I think I can handle the plateau, but not the gain. Anyway, I will press on and hopefully be rewarded in a few days with a big drop!
    How is everyone else feeling as we embark on the 4th week? nearly at the half-way point!
    Leanne

• posted by luciaslife
    on

Hi Leanne, good to hear from you. My plateau seems to be growing and after weighing myself today i have given myself a good talking to. Today i am going to monitor my calories and carbs religiously, I had been letting it slip and blaming this plateau. So today i start with organic cider vinegar in hot water, lunch scrambled eggs with mushrooms and tonight a caesar salad (no croutons) and lashings of water, and no milk in tea and see if i can get off this plateau. Any body else got any tips they want to share?

Best wishes,
    Lucie.

Please log in or register to post a reply.