Starting 10th October 2016

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Natalie
    on

It is late afternoon of day one for me and I have a nasty headache. It’s a bit earlier than I was expecting any withdrawal symptoms but maybe that means they’ll be over sooner? I’ve eaten very poorly the past two weeks so I guess this is a bit of a shock to my body. My tastebuds were very disappointed by tea with no sugar after lunch (oddly enough my morning cup with no sugar is fine, I never want sweet things until later in the day). I’m drinking plenty and including salt so it isn’t that. Just the lack of easily-converted-to-sugar carbs.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Natalie …. just take something for the headache if you can keep it down.

I ate badly today …. actually i was sick of the unexpected sugar … and i still ate it …. i was very stoopid. But hopefully i learned from it.
    Sometimes i think every bloomin thing in life is a lesson …. and i am a slow learner!!

It really is bad for our poor bodies when we don’t eat healthy … or even just too much … our lovely wonderful bodies are just trying their best.
    HUGS

Christel / shalimar

• posted by jonoworth
    on

Good luck! I started yesterday and these forums are worth their weight in gold. I’ve tried to lose weight loads of times but these are really keeping me motivated.
    Let us know how you get on!

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Also starting today – feels like the first day of school! Recently diagnosed Type 2 at the same age as my mum -51 – but absolutely no symptoms, discovered during routine blood test. I’m a lifelong dieter, teetotal, always the ‘fatty’ in an incredibly slim family, all of whom eat like horses and drink like fish – not fair! Have followed low carb diet for 8 years and maintained BMI under 27 for 7 years, but since starting medication have gained 18lbs in 12 weeks, and all around my middle, a place I’ve never stored fat in the past. Hopeful that this 8 weeks gets me back on track and feeling more in control. At the moment it feels like my body is the boss of me – time for a change of management! Good luck to everyone starting today.

• posted by Disney Nut
    on

Good Morning…I have cheekily asked to join your facebook group if that is okay?
    I have started last Thursday so am 6 days ahead of your 10/10 start but so far very motivated!

My ultimate aim is to get rid of 30kg but the first hurdle is going to be a holiday in December and of course Christmas. One day at a time until then and maybe I am in the zone by the time we fly to Florida so Disney snacks won’t tempt me…

• posted by AJAZE
    on

I’m also starting today. I will be cooking for myself. I need to lose weight, about 10 kg and had been trying very hard but not succeeding with a high exercise, healthy food diet. I hope this works better for me. I like the idea of it being over and done with quickly! Today I skipped breakfast and had a lunch of 100grams of smoked salmon, 100grams green beans and a 1/4 cup of brown rice. I had some walnuts for afternoon tea (5) and am planning to eat a later dinner than usual with more salmon and vegetables. Seems doable today. I just need to be able to do it every day!!!!! I hope I can. I feel like the focus and control is helpful and provides good structure to this diet. And I am keeping a food/exercise diary! Good luck everyone. Talk soon.

• posted by shalimar
    on

AJAZE, Maharani Kitten, Disney Nut …. HUGS ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Feeling proud of myself … threw my wine down the kitchen sink.. Temptation removed.

I see many of us have some goals before Christmas. I took a hint from someone on our forums to write down my goals, my why, and an interim date and the goal i want to reach … they said write it on a piece of paper and put it in my wallet … and i did. Very handy when i’m out of the house at a restaurant … i just read it before i order off a menu.

As Gail Vaz Oxlade, a very nice Canadian lady who advises on financial matters on her various TV shows …. if you don’t set a goal, a “how” to achieve your goal, and a time limit …. it is just a “dream” or a “wish”. She’s a very smart woman.

Anyway …. HUGS to everyoe!!

• posted by ladyvalient
    on

Hi everyone,

Meee toooo starting today, 5ft 2inches, 11stone 8Lbs, first goal set for one stone, but realisticaly would like to loose two stone. Excited but apprehensive as dont like salad or yogurt/creamy products, but going to trowl through all the recipes and continue to read the book (my new bible):)

Good luck everyone

• posted by shalimar
    on

ladyvalient ๐Ÿ™‚ HUGS

You should do okay with other food

I do like salad but i haven’t eaten much lately because i like the high calorie high carb dressings … i intend to remedy that but i haven’t so far

I did eat high fat plain yogurt with some frozen berries twice …. but it hasn’t been often at all … i did enjoy it but in this current low fat world it’s actually difficult to find a source for plain high fat yogurt.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hi Angiebabe.
    Thank you so much for replying – I haven’t read that anyone else on this forum has PMR. I will have been on steroids two years in January but am now gradually reducing the dose and hope to be able to come off them in the two years, so you had a much worse time of it than me.
    You have done so well losing all that weight so quickly and I am feeling so positive this morning.
    Off we go!
    X B

• posted by Hosta
    on

Me too! 7 years with type 2 diabetes. Far too much weight and I know how bad sugar is – I gave it up last year and my hba1c dropped like a stone. This makes sense. Let’s do this!!

• posted by shalimar
    on

Hi Busybee and Hosta!!

I say let’s do this as well!!

I’m feeling very positive!!

HUGS ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by kirsty
    on

Morning everyone, well it’s here D day or BSD day, I thought I’d be miserable when I woke up this morning, as I usually am when starting a diet but I’m not, I’m excited and looking forward to meeting the new me, it may take a while but I’m more determined than I’ve ever been and I’m so pleased that I joined this forum. Yesterday I was too embarrassed to write how much I weigh but if I’m going to do this, and I am, then I have to be honest with myself and all you guys too, so here goes, I weigh 110.1kg or 17st 3lbs. there I’ve said it and I feel better already. my first goal is to get under 17st so I’m going to get on my exercise bike now. (after I’ve cleaned the cobwebs off it, hahaha)!!! Hope you all have a great first day. we can do this. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by shalimar
    on

kirsty ๐Ÿ™‚ HUGS …. hey lots of people have so much more to loose!! Honesty if wonderful …. so is how you will look in your mirror at Christmas!!

• posted by Sopisue
    on

Hi all I’m starting this today too and am just about to write out my shopping list for the week. I won’t be stopping off at the coffee shop for my usual coffee and cake!

Good luck to everyone and here’s to December 4 and lots of lbs lost and being healthier all round.

• posted by shalimar
    on

RIGHT ON Sopisue ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ HUGS

• posted by soosiewoosy
    on

Hi all, just signing in on first proper day on this way of eating.
    UK
    Start weight 142.4 lbs
    Goal weight 130lbs

But real goal is to stop being a TOFI (thin outside, fat inside) and maintain a constant weight.

I started on the 5:2 diet, but felt I wasn’t really in control, so this appealed to me as more consistent.

A copy of the recipe book is winging its way to me today, so looking forward to reading that.

The really good thing about the 5:2 diet is that I found a forum where people post daily and log their weight. I have posted on the BSD forums before but there doesn’t seem to be any follow-up. I really appreciated the feeling of camaraderie I found and would love to get that here, if anyone’s interested in posting every day?

Have a great day, everyone, especially the newbies!

• posted by shalimar
    on

soosiewoosy ๐Ÿ™‚ HUGS

I usually post everyday ….. in fact you could say i’m a postwhore …. i may even be annoying …. BUT whatever ….. ๐Ÿ™‚

CHEERS to being THIN on the INSide AND the OUTside!! ๐Ÿ™‚

p.s. you can post in any and all the forums!!

• posted by soosiewoosy
    on

Kirsty, I buy ground flaxseed (Bob’s Red Mill, organic golden flax meal) from Amazon. If there’s an offer on I buy a couple and freeze what I don’t immediately need.
    I buy chia seeds from Bulk Powders.

Hope this is helpful!

• posted by soosiewoosy
    on

Hi Shalimar! You made me laugh out loud! Yes, I will stop being a TOFI and become a TOTI!

I must admit I like being a one-forum girl!

• posted by Cozzarella
    on

Hi all

I’m starting today too. I’m treating this a new way of eating rather than a diet. I weigh 11st 5lbs and am only 4ft 10 so really need to get cracking. I spent last week psychologically preparing myself and now I am ready!

I had porridge for breakfast this morning and mow off to make chickpea soup for lunch!

• posted by shalimar
    on

Cozzarella ๐Ÿ™‚ HUGS

I think preparation is key!!

soosiewoosy ….. ๐Ÿ™‚ HUGS …. woosy????? how much woosy in the soosie????

I have the ingredients for a denver omelette for breaky …. but it’s more likely to be for lunch-y … depending on when i get to bed … the joys of retirement … and single too … i can do whatever i want ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ and i love it ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by shalimar
    on

p.s.

Are the newbies aware that most of us try not just to keep our calories around 800 …. but TRY to keep our carbs down to around 50 g (and that we don’t deduct fibre grams?) ….

You can count these things by google-ing the food with the words calories carbs …. or … there are paperback books … or … sites like MyFatSecret.

Other tips :

Be kind to yourself ; be kind to your body as it makes adjustments to its new reality …. and get ready to polish your halos on the good days and ignore the bad decisions … and get ready to admire yourself in your mirrors.

And if you fail … do what i do … just call “REBOOT’ and start again

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’ll probably post several times a day soosiewoosy! Is this my fourth or fifth today?

I’ve finished eating on Day One. Calories: 784. Carbs: 36g. Excellent!

• posted by shalimar
    on

That’s wonderful Natalie ๐Ÿ™‚ HUGS

• posted by Hosta
    on

Ok…….. I weighed myself. Tick. Actually hadn’t put on weight since I last weighed myself 60 years ago, though i feel like I have. 5’9″ tall and 117kg. Dreadful. 7 stone needs to go. I only used kgs because I can see them more easily on my scales ๐Ÿ˜‚ Mushroom omelette for breakfast ….. Just wondering how everyone is tracking their food intake? Think I’m going to use my fitness pal. Does anyone have any other methods??

• posted by shalimar
    on

Hosta ๐Ÿ™‚ HUGS

I track calories and carbs. I use my paperback Diabetes Counter book ; MyFatSecret and i just Google things.

I write them down. I usually have 1 page per day … and i write down everything including blood sugar readings and any hints and suggestions i see here or anywhere.

If it’s something i eat all the time i put them on an index card so i don’t have to look it up again.

I have not found MyFitnessPal or another site useful … it’s like i’m all thumbs … i can’t figure out the site easily …. so i won’t bother. One site i try will just NOT put in my information correctly.

I do acquabics, i walk, and will try and add yoga and TaiChi (i have videos and can do it at home if i move my butt). I can gage my fitness level from what activities i can do … and i do see the doc for tests. I really don’t see how fussing with a website will be that much help ….. of course OTHER PEOPLE JUST LOVE DOING THESE SITES … more power to them.

I’m kind of a no fuss person.

• posted by soosiewoosy
    on

Was woozy and snoozy, but now awake and raring to go!

Just received my 8 week BSD recipe book and was flicking through, looking for the calorie content of each meal, and couldn’t SEE anything….then….got my microscope out and lo-and-behold! Teeny, tiny print to the side of each recipe! How ridiculous! Well, moan over, off to plan lunch and supper!

• posted by soosiewoosy
    on

Do you live in Australia, Natalie? Or did you eat all those cals for breakfast?!!

• posted by shalimar
    on

Well … awake and raring ๐Ÿ™‚ ….. it’s not surprising … because it’s mostly the people on the forum here that have noticed its the reduction in the carb count WITH the 800 calories that does the trick so to speak. It’s the people in the forums that made it known to try for 50 carbs or even less that really seems the most effective. Maybe it’s not necessary for everyone …. but lowering the carb count also seems to help getting past plateau and stalling times.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Hosta
    I have found fat secret really helpful if you are in the UK. Very easy to use – it has to be for me. It tracks carbs calories fat protein etc and you can save all your favourite meals.

I agree with Shalimar that the people who track calories and carbs (50g and under) do the best. It did take me 4 months to work that one out but once I realised it the weight has just flown off.

• posted by ladyvalient
    on

Hi Shalimar,

Thank you for your encouragement, reading the posts it seems there will be plenty of know how and encouragement on here, really looking forward to reading everyones post each and every day, today so far I have had scrambled eggs cooked with a little milk, spanish omelette for lunch, plan on turkey stirfry for dinner tonight, can anyone tell me how much milk I can have, i use semi skimmed or skimmed if I can get it (at work on oil rig) I am a real tea face ๐Ÿ™‚ .

• posted by Curlygirl19
    on

Hi Hosta
    I have just completed day 2 and have dropped 4lb. We all know that is mainly water but I definitely feel less bloated. I use MFP but it is not perfect and I find the different options you get for each search a little frustrating. I am also using a notebook – at he back I am building up some useful tables showing calories and carbs of each food. I have a page for veg, another for meat, one for diary, etc. It is helping me to learn to make he right choices, especially when changing recipes or just doing my own thing. I used the front pages to write down my recipes so I can refer to them again – it’s like my own cook book ๐Ÿ˜„.

• posted by Bonnie11
    on

Hi everyone โ€“ Iโ€™m starting today 10/10/16. The cookbook is on order and should hopefuly be here tomorrow!
    I am borderline pre-diabetic and attended a health workshop at my local hospital last week. It was informative and I came away thinking that portion control is something I need to work on!
    I am quite active โ€“ this morning I have been for a 4 mile walk with a friend โ€“ and I am a yoga teacher so teach/practice yoga 5/6 times a week, which keeps me moving and helps with stress levels etc.
    I am concerned about the low calorie intake of this diet, but going to give it a try as I have been told to lose some weight. I do work till 9 pm 2 nights a week and then eat when I get home with my husband. Not sure if that is going to be a good idea now โ€“ might need to eat something light beforehand. Any ideas welcome โ€“ thank you.

• posted by MissusO
    on

Hi Shimmerling

Excellent idea! I’ve requested to join the Facebook group x

• posted by MrsM
    on

Fab – I’ve sent a request to join the Facebook group. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by ladyvalient
    on

Hi again,

Sorry, third post of the day, I am confused, if we are to stick to around 50g of Carb and 800 calories how can we eat so much vegetables which are low in calories but higher in carb than the protein which is low in carb but then puts the calorie count up, this is how I have worked out after using the fatsecret App.

Help please ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Hosta
    on

I think that carbs in vegetables don’t really count, Unless you are looking at carbs in white potatoes, sweetcorn, peas, and those types of things. This is where the counting apps aren’t terribly helpful I don’t think because carbs are offset by the amount of fibre within a food. and of course vegetables are full of fibre which is probably why they don’t really count. last year when I managed to drop sugar entirely out of my diet last year I basically only counted the carbs that were in things like white carbs, i.e. white bread white potatoes pasta rice flour sugar et cetera. The carbs contained in high-fibre vegetables pulses and cereals don’t behave in the same way because they release sugar slowly. Of course the veterans on this site may have a different approach and experience so would love to hear from them too!

• posted by Hippo18
    on

I’m starting today. I’ve had my usual breakfast of porridge and I’ve had bacon and eggs for lunch. Then, I skim read the book and feel a trip to the supermarket is in order!

• posted by ladyvalient
    on

Thank you Hosta, for you valuable advice which seems to make sense, I just remember my days long ago on Atkins / Dukan when ALL carbs were counted and this would make this diet very confusing and not at all easy to cope with if this was the case.
    Back to my original plan of cauliflower rice and turkey for dinner tonight, mmmmmm

• posted by kirsty
    on

thanks soosiewoosy, I’m going to check that out right now. โ˜บ

• posted by poppycat
    on

I have started today, accidentally missed breakfast this morning but had a feta salad for lunch.
    I’m currently at my sister’s and have to cook vegetarian meals for us plus the fact that the whole family is allergic to peppers and chillis (which seem to be the ‘go tos’ for most veggi receipes!) which is making life a bit interesting.
    I’ve crept into my 60s and need to lose a couple of stone and exercise (a lot!) more and my always on the low side blood pressure is creeping up. I may wander over to the Facebook page – I could probably do with some support!

• posted by Lesleyp
    on

Had a good first day, it helps knowing that there is a team of us all in the same boat.
    Had a protein shake with almond milk for breakfast
    Protein bar mid morning
    Veg soup for lunch
    Dinner lamb and broccoli.
    Slightly over on calories, but the lamb was left over from yesterday.
    I’ve had 917 cals, 64g carbs and 90g protein.
    Out to choir tonight so will have black tea at break time.
    Overall a good first day.
    I have at least 6 stones to lose so am setting my first target at 2 stones off. I am 5 8 and quite fit. I go to the gym and aquafit and enjoy walking. Just need to do more!

• posted by Bluemoon
    on

Hi all, day 2 done for me as I started Sunday. Just sent a request to join the fb group x

• posted by shalimar
    on

Congrats on your efforts Bluemoon, Poppycat (it is a challenge!), Lesleyp (great on the fitness!)

HUGS to all!

I am on Canadian Thanksgiving Holiday so i am cutting myself some slack ….but i am not eating wildly. Was up all night so i am actually still in my nightie and bathrobe. It’s cold out but supposed to get nicer … and it’s sunny now so i am going to move my butt soon and go for a walk!

• posted by Ren65
    on

I hope everyone is doing ok? Nearly through the first day for me and feeling good! Finished eating for today and cals at 848 with carbs 38.7 so not to bad. Just heading out for a walk to get my steps up. Will have some black tea for supper. My weight this morning was 13st .5lbs height 5ft 1.5, waist 38 and tummy 49.5! Funny though I feel slimmer already probably all the water I’ve lost! Hopefully day 2 is as good!x

• posted by kirsty
    on

Hi everyone, well that’s day one done, it wasn’t too bad but tomorrow I might try skipping breakfast and saving the calories for later in the day, I’ve never been a huge fan of breakfast anyway. But I will miss my freshly squeezed oj though and now I wish I hadn’t thought about it because my mouth’s watering now. I hope all you 10/10s and there abouts are doing well, I’m going to have a cup of tea and then off to bed. night night x

• posted by soosiewoosy
    on

DAY 1 of 10/10

Breakfast:
    Vogel’s – Soy & Linseed Toast Slice, 42.5 g (1 slice) 103
    Heinz – Baked Beans, 0.33 cup 75

Lunch
    Jamie Oliver – Apple and Celeriac Soup, 1 serving 237
    1/2 Homemade – Cheese and Onion Toastie, 113

Dinner
    Allrecipes – Roasted Cauliflower ‘steaks’, 1/4 of head of cauliflower 97
    Tesco Finest – Tinned Cherry Tomatoes, 200 g 78
    Homemade – Red Cabbage Carrot Slaw, 1 Cup 67
    Olive Oil + Red Wine Vinegar Dressing, 1 Tbsp 80

TOTAL 850 cals and I’m really full!

Over and out until tomorrow!

• posted by Granny
    on

Hi all 10/10 starters! I’ve just done my first day and am not feeling hungry at all!! Maybe its beginners luck or I’ve followed the plan wrong lol. I can recommend the Creamy Cauliflower and Bean soup kn the recipe section, it was delish! Good luck to us all, have really enjoyed reading everyones thoughts, hints and tips.

• posted by Michelle30
    on

Hiya I will be starting tmrw. Very excited and slightly apprehensive

Please log in or register to post a reply.