Starting 10th October 2016

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Good morning to everyone on day two!

Hosta – I’ve maintained approx the same weight for years but my body shape is changing, not for the better. My stomach is getting bigger and slumping. So clothes don’t fit as well as they used to. I use the CalorieKing to track my calories and carbs, it’s a bit of work at first but once you’ve put some regular foods and recipes in (I’ve been using it on and off for years) it gets easier.

Soosiewoosy – yes I’m in Australia, those counts were for the whole day!

Lady valiant – you can have as much milk as you can budget in to your calories and carbs – but full fat please! None of that reduced fat rubbish. I love tea too, giving up sugar is a wrench.
    Also I think you have to make careful vegetable choices to keep the carbs down, they all count. You’re supposed to have mainly above-ground veges (but not corn!), root veges are more carby. I managed to have eight serves of vegetables yesterday and stayed under 40g of carb total, including my yoghurt.

Poppycat – how can you “accidentally” miss breakfast?

Kirsty – yes shame about no juice, I never drink bottled stuff but I love fresh squeezed! I’m going to have a whole orange one day with breakfast, a bit carby but you get the fibre too. And if you have it with fat (cheese in my case) the sugar release is slower.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’ve lost 0.6 kg overnight, I know that is mostly water but it’s still nice!

Today’s plan:
    B: yoghurt with strawberries
    L: Asian shredded chicken salad with peanut dressing (a new recipe for me)
    D: beef fajitas with lettuce leaves instead of tortillas

Vege soup in case I get peckish, two cups of tea with milk, lots of water.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Asian shredded chicken salad with peanut dressing sounds gooood!!

P.S. I was skim reading through the posts i missed …. i only had 3 hours sleep so i ended up feeling crappy and i lay down in bed with my frozen feet and a large print Agatha Christie … and fell asleep.

EVERY single thing counts …. use the internet, MyFatSecret, a paperback calorie/carb counter. Even so …. whatever you look up is going to be approximate as there are many varieties, brand names, etc. Do the best you can.

There are NO free vegetables. Root vegetables have more sugars/carbs …. that’s why above ground veggies have less calories and carbs. You can have root veggies … you just have to count them.

Yes you can have milk …. BUT you have to count it in your calories AND carbs. If you just need a little bit … cream might be better flavour and easy on calories and carbs.

Good idea to invest in a small scale and an assortment of measuring cups. I had to buy some smaller ones …. it was difficult to measure 1 cup in a BIG cup.

If you wish to follow the fast 800 strictly to loose weight … most people here seem to feel you need to get close to 50 g. of carbs or even less. Mind you … you may want to save the strategy of going under 50 g. of carbs for when you hit a plateau when you are not loosing (the dreaded plateau happens all the time … give your body time to adjust and then try and go lower on the carbs).

I have to laugh …. because i haven’t had success applying these tips …. will start tomorrow!! But i have been reading what everyone else is doing for a month now. I am armed and ready.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Just had my salad and it was very nice, big bowl only 240 cals 9g carbs. I adapted it from one on the internet and I didn’t get the balance quite right, I’ll post recipe once I’ve refined it another day. More chicken, less bean sprouts!

Do people put cream in tea, or only coffee? I tried it in tea and it separated and went all oily and yucky.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

A good first day. 890 cals and 34g carbs.
    I’ve followed a low carb, high protein diet for ages and agree that keeping carbs as low as possible is the key..
    On previous plans have never counted calories at all, lost 56lbs and kept it off but since T2D diagnosis my usual plan has stopped working and I’ve gained weight really quickly on diabetes meds. V common, apparently..
    This plan was recommended by a friend who has reversed her blood sugar problems in 8 weeks.
    Blood sugar stable today. Will be interesting to see fasting numbers.

Tomorrow’s food

Bacon and tomato
    Feta Salad
    6 almonds
    Fish and steamed broccoli

Tomorrow’s exercise
    30 mins on rower
    20 minute brisk walk – I do love my short briskies!

Good luck for day 2 everyone x

• posted by Tapatch
    on

I have completed the first day. I took the advice of an experienced poster and got myself a notebook, wrote everything down.
    Kept to just over 800 cals and 35 g carbs. I wish I could say it was easy. Now I have done one day, tomorrow beckons. I have already planned the meals so just have to execute the plan!

My friend who had to go on a 500 cal diet before she had surgery said the first few days were the toughest, and I have no reason to doubt that. Just looking forward to when I can take this in my stride.

At this point, don’t know if it is tiredness setting in or reaction to deprivation! I guess I better pop off to sleep and hope for another good day tomorrow.

Hope all of you 10/10 ‘ers are doing well.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Great first day Maharani! That’s sad that you developed T2 even after losing weight, but hopefully this diet will stabilise your sugars.

I’ve had two 20 min walks today (not sure if you could call them brisk!), 6830 steps so far today. I’m happy with that as a starting point. Lovely spring day here in Sydney.

I had strawberries in my yoghurt this morning, there are some offcuts near me now as I sit at the kitchen table and they smell intoxicating! Sweet sweet strawberries. Mmmm, food. I think I’d better move to the lounge room, there is still more than 3 hours until dinner!

• posted by shalimar
    on

Natalie 🙂 HUGS, great start on the walking! TEA and cream …. only works in ordinary tea … herbals and anything with a fruity component will separate both milk and cream

Maharani kitten 🙂 HUGS great start … the rowing machine is one of my favorite exercise machines

Tapatch 🙂 HUGS …. the first week is probably the hardest …. sleep is good

I haven’t started yet …. it’s not Tuesday morning here yet …. but i re looked up my carb and calorie counts for possible meals tomorrow. My feet are swollen so i actually dipped into my prescription pain pills. Don’t think i’ll make it to the gym … but will try and get in a walk or two.
    Will report in later today!

• posted by Granny
    on

Day 2 and having trouble counting the carbs in veggies, noticed that one of you had 8 types of veg and only 35gcarbs, WOW well done👍, what veggies were they as i’m struggling and would like to copy your success😍

• posted by soosiewoosy
    on

UK
    Today’s weight 141.8lb (64.3kg)

Don’t tell anyone, but there is ANOTHER Soosiewoosy on these forums! She spells her name slightly differently, but I was reading a post with “my” name on it and thinking I don’t remember writing that, so looked up the profile and, yep, it WASN’T me!

Right, well, we’re of today until Friday evening and will be staying in an hotel, so wish me luck trying to follow this diet! At least they have a gym/pool/spa, so no excuses, really…

Beautiful day here in Wales, blooming cold, though.

Have a great day, all!

• posted by Natalie
    on

End of day two, I stuck to my food plan except for adding a bit of cheese. I was hungry all day but scared to go off plan, but I ended up with some calories left after dinner so had a nice chunk of cheese. Total still low, 787 cals 41g carbs. I’m not sure how I did it – two days in a row!

I’ve previously had two semi-successful attempts at the BSD as well as lots of false starts. But even when I was sort-of sticking to it, I was always bargaining with it. I’m hungry so it’s ok if I go up to 1000 or even 1200 calories. I’ll do the diet but still have sugar in my tea. I exercised today so it’s ok if I add some chocolate. No wonder it never got any easier and I didn’t lose much weight! This time I am sticking to it 100%.

Granny I can tell you exactly what veg I had today. Cup of shredded cabbage, one baby carrot, 4 shallots (spring onions), about 10 snow peas, big handful bean sprouts, cup of lettuce, small tomato, half a cucumber, small onion. I would call that 7-8 serves. Most are bulky but low cal/carb. Today all except the onion were raw, but most days I plan to have a salad at lunch and cooked veges at dinner. I love cauliflower rice and I want to try a pizza base made out of broccoli (held together with an egg and grated cheese).

In my “normal life ” ie when I’m not on a diet my vege intake is very low, it probably the main thing that changes when I’m “on a diet”! I replace all the junk food and starchy carbs with veges. A big pile can certainly fill you up, and when that is all you’re allowed you learn to appreciate every bite. I use a lot of spices too, the dressing for my lunch salad had about nine ingredients (I left out the honey). Funny thing was I actually had then all! Rice wine vinegar, Sambal olek (chilli paste), fish sauce. Right there in my pantry.

• posted by Wishbone
    on

Day two and the headache from hell. Bring it on carb flu, because I know this is working. Also sloshing around with all the water I’ve had. Have had very tame and boring meals compared to some here, I’ll have to get experimenting looking at Natalie’s repertoire! Contemplating a sneaky weigh in tomorrow, but being day three I might be a little too optimistic….

• posted by Granny
    on

Thanks natalie thats great veggie tips, dont know what snow peas are, guess thats an Aussie word👍💃🏻. Yes wishbone was thinking of a sneaky weigh in too but dont want to be disappointed😆

• posted by Natalie
    on

Granny snow peas are like a pea pod squashed flat with only tiny peas inside, you eat the whole pod. Common in Asian foods. They have a third the carbs of normal peas because you are eating the fibrous pod not just the sweet peas.

Wishbone I had a horrible headache yesterday and this morning but it’s gone now, I hope yours goes soon.

• posted by sarahjoy74
    on

Hello,
    I started 10/10 too and have no idea when the 8 weeks ends…
    For me this will be a long haul, lifestyle change as I’m starting at 254 pounds. Back up several stones due to various life circumstances (primary liver cancer etc.) so ready to make a change.

So far had
    b: 3 egg and bacon muffins
    l: 10 almonds, veggie sticks, 30g cheese
    t: Bolognese with courgette!

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Sarah

• posted by poppycat
    on

Hi Natalie

I ‘accidentally’ missed breakfast by doing some jobs after I got up and got so involved I realised that it was midday so I just had an early lunch!

I made up for it today – porridge and blackberries!
    Lunch will probably be scrambled eggs or low sugar baked beans and for supper today I’m cooking the cauliflower cheese receipe from the book and adding broccoli to it

• posted by Smother
    on

Hello everyone

I started the diet yesterday after finding out all about it in the newspaper and then buying the book. I have a lot of weight to lose and am truly horrified by my waist measurement, so I’m hoping that this works for me. I’m not very good at counting calories or carbs so I’m trying to stick to the recipes as strictly as possible.

Here is what I have had so far: please let me know if having stuff I’m not allowed!!
    Breakfast both days – 2 scrambled eggs
    Lunch both days – Jewelled peppers
    Dinner – fishcake, beans & broccoli/Baked cod on a bed of kale
    Snack @ 11 – 1/2 an avacado
    Drinks – strong tea with very small amount of milk

Looking forward to all the support we can give each other 🙂

• posted by shalimar
    on

I have officially started!!!

So far all i’ve done is made coffee.

I measured out 2 tbps. of cream for my coffee … 60 calories and 2 g. of carbs!!

• posted by Granny
    on

Welcome smother, i only started yesterday so am learning too and watching out for hints and tips. The creamy cauliflower and bean soup in the recipe section is fab and really does fill you up but can anyone tell me how many carbs i should log per portion?

• posted by Granny
    on

Welcome sarah and good luck with your journey, ive found this forum great so far for hints and tips and finding my way around the BSD!

• posted by shalimar
    on

Hi Smother 🙂 HUGS

Seriously …. you should try and get good at counting the carbs and calories. You can get that information from the internet … a paperback book diabetic counting book … or a site like MyFatSecret. Aim for 800 calories and 50 carbs or less. When you hit a plateau you can try and cut the carbs lower. Even though i don’t feel the counts are exact that way i have a good idea if it is working for me … and perhaps how i can adjust.

I don’t know how many posts you’ve read here …. but the 50 carbs is just something the people on this site have figured out works.

NOW … if you want to do it your way and you are happy with how the plan works for your weight loss … i won’t harp on it.

• posted by shalimar
    on

The creamy cauliflower and bean soup in the recipe section is fab and really does fill you up but can anyone tell me how many carbs i should log per portion?

Granny 🙂 HUGS …. i don’t see a carb count there at all.

Only way to figure it out seems to be to add up all the carb counts for the ingredients and divide by number of servings.

An internet recipe at this site

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calories.asp?recipe=1230260

with a total of 6 servings …. gives a carb count of 9.3 g.

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Hi Everyone,

I started on Sunday, October 9th and today is my third day. At my morning weigh-in on Monday, the scale was way up, which was strange but this morning, (Tuesday) October 11th, my weight was 3.5 lbs. down. Good news! I’ve been feeling pretty good with the occasional hungry feeling. I’ve been able to sleep too! No middle of the night hunger pangs. :–)
    I started my own blog to write about how things are going, how I’m feeling, what I’m eating, what exercise I’m doing and so on.
    I also use “Lose it” and have been doing that since 2010. Usually my calorie goals have been 1700 to 1800 a day, so it is funny to put down 800. I’m so excited that I’ve made that goal for two days now!!!!

I keep thinking about what it will feel like to be on this program for 8 weeks or more and to finally get my blood sugar and weight under control. I keep thinking about how nice it will feel to get dressed up at Christmas time and feel good in a pretty dress! I think about swimming in the pool with my granddaughters and not feeling as self-conscious about how I look getting in and out of the pool. These are the ways I am motivating myself! This week I plan to go get a pedicure one day after work and on Friday, treat myself to a massage.

What are some of you doing to motivate yourself?

• posted by Granny
    on

Thanks shalimar thats a great help:-) Will try to prep better as dont want to be worrying about havjng too many carbs, i now realised that carbs are in everythjng and well hidden in some foods😂

• posted by shalimar
    on

Oh Granny i hear you ……….. i didn’t think vegetables of any kind had carbs. This has been an education!!

• posted by shalimar
    on

jmarie41:) HUGS

I am looking forward to lookin’ good at Christmas.

Actually being somewhat hungry is good ….. for one thing it makes food taste better …. and that is your body’s way of saying “I need food”.

My main motivation is to feel healthy, be healthy and to have a body that is up to doing what i want it to. For instance … even just a trip to the museum in Toronto … my feet hurt so bad and i was so tired i didn’t even get to enJOY more than a couple of the exhibits! Even shopping … i had no patience for it. All the money i spent on the trip ….. and i wasn’t fit enough to enJOY it …i am sooooooooo tired of being sick and tired!!

• posted by shalimar
    on

Hmmmmm …. i am just remembering a pizza commercial i saw yesterday. All i could see was a big load of bad carbs …. i think maybe i will try to make an even stronger association …. pizza = being too sick and tired to enjoy life!!! I can make that work for me!!!

• posted by Wendybird24421
    on

My daughter had gestational diabetes with her first but not second pregnancy. One of the doctors she saw told her that a high percentage of moms with gestational diabetes go on to develop diabetes within five years after the baby’s birth. That scared her so she cleaned up her diet, lost the baby weight fast, and increased exercise. Now the boys are 5 & 6, in school, and she’s healthier than prepregnancies.
    You can do it!

• posted by Wendybird24421
    on

I actually started a couple days ago but would love to hang out here😊
    I’m 66 and have been on a weight loss journey since I was a fat little girl. I’m ready to hit it hard and finish. I’ve really changed my habits and know I can do it. Headed to buy some new shoes for the gym and then Costco to pick up a few healthy things.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Wendybird24421 🙂 HUGS

I’m 67 …. we’re practically twins.

I started putting on weight in high school. And i’m definitely ready to get serious!!!

• posted by Getting my life back
    on

Hi Shalimar you will be able to do it I love reading your posts like you I have painful feet so not much walking to be done trying to pluck up the courage to have a steroid injection in my heel even sounds painful to me.
    Jmarie41 I have decided to treat myself once a month hairdressers this Friday when I am good only been doing bsd since 1.10.16 long way to go but I reason took me a long time to put the weight on don’t mind how long it takes to go.
    Oh and family really supportive which helps apart from the gentle laughter of my new clothes horse new exercise machine had it a month never been used apart from the clothes never mind we will get there. My Christmas wish will be to play with my 2 year old granddaughter and keep up with her. Just finished a late lunch of roasted red pepper and butternut squash lovely. Have a good day everyone x

• posted by shalimar
    on

Getting my life back 🙂 HUGS

My feet are really bugging me … very swollen … but then i’ve been sick for a little while and not getting ANY activity in.

I have an appointment in December with the VON Victoria Order of Nurses …. for diabetic footcare …. it does cost … but it’s like a pedicure without the nail polish. So thats a treat.

Ah ….. my exercise equipment … dusty and rusty … and spackled from the guys who fixed my water damaged walls and ceiling a while back!!

• posted by Nova2016
    on

Hello All

Been great reading your posts. I started on Sunday so on Day 3. Lost 4lbs so far, can’t quite believe that it is working already. Mind you I have a long way to go…..

I have requested to join the FB group. I need all the help I can get!!

I have been drinking water and increased my step count by the the increased number of trips up and down stairs at work to the toilet!
    I have been using the recipes in the BSD recipe book. Have been impressed with the flavours etc so far.

• posted by Lesleyp
    on

Having a good day 2…… Life is throwing me a few curve balls though!
    Pensioners pop in have a lunch where I am based at the moment and I was offered sausage mash and Yorkshire pudding followed by cherry sponge and custard……. I said no thank you – I have a lovely home made soup in the fridge. Aggghhhhh….cherry anything is my fav. Feeling quite proud!
    Just been to aquafit – feel peckish but resisting.
    The coffee with cream is sounding good…..would baileys work? Lol

• posted by Ren65
    on

Day 2 nearly over and pleased to say just a slight headache today so feeling ok also feeling less bloated so all good! I might have a sneaky peak at the scales tomorrow! Finished on 791 cals and 39.7 carbs and doing well with my steps at over 12,000! Roll on day 3 and hope everyone has a good day hopefully anyone suffering with carb flu should start to feel better!x

• posted by Natalie
    on

Good morning to Day Three!

I have a headache again but not as bad as it was. I’ll make sure to keep the fluids up. Today’s plan:
    B: two-egg omelette, cucumber
    L: warm steak salad (strips of steak on grilled asparagus, grilled capsicum, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, snow peas, shavings of Parmesan and a dressing of balsamic vinegar and sesame oil).
    D: roast lemon chicken with roast veges (no potato!)

Cup of soup and two cups of tea with milk, lots of water with a squeeze of lemon.

Feeling strong!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Ouch! I ate my omelette before plugging it into my CalorieKing app and it has a lot more calories than yoghurt with berries! I know eggs are good and filling but a total of 259 cal for breakfast including tea is a big chunk of my daily allowance. I see my huge lunch salad shrinking! I think I prefer a smaller breakfast and more food later in the day.

• posted by Wishbone
    on

Morning all, day three of BSD and day two of the headache, arghh. Also a sleepless night but TBH I’m putting that down to the first night in a long while where I haven’t had a few glasses of chardy. On the plus side, despite the headache, I do feel more energetic this morning. Sending positive thoughts to you all for a good day.

• posted by shalimar
    on

It’s only day 1 …. and i already had a long nap in the afternoon. I was feeling a bit sick …. probably because the BSD plan is already working!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!

Just got throught the morning on coffee with cream … even had a short walk to the library before i ate.

Coffees with cream …. 3 …. 180 calories 6 carbs
    3 eggs with a bit of chopped ham …. 315 calories 6 carbs
    few slices cucumber, 4 grape tomatoes, small bag of snap peas …. 150 calories 22 carbs

Total so far: 645 cals and 34 carbs

I was going to cook up some drumsticks … but i will leave that until tomorrow … i think i will be tempted to eat them

I may have a few more cucumber slices later instead

HUGS HUGS HUGS everyone ….we are doing soooooooooooo great!!

• posted by soosiewoosy
    on

Hi with regard to snow peas someone was asking about, here in the UK we call them sugar snap peas. Thank you and goodnight!

• posted by Natalie
    on

We have sugar snap peas in Australia too, slightly different. They look more like normal pea pods although you do eat the whole thing. Snow peas are really really flat, as if there is nothing in them at all. Both are nice.

I’m having one of those days where you start with a long list of things to do and then you get a phone call and three emails and suddenly that is the morning gone! At least it takes my mind off food. I work from home (I’m an editor but at the moment I’m taking time off to write a book, it’s in the final polish stage) but most of the distractions I get caught up in are house and family stuff.

My lunch salad (eating right now) is delicious but I don’t like only having 270 cals left for dinner. Today will be 250/270/270 I find something like 150/280/20/350 easier. At least I think I do? I guess I’ll see how hungry I feel this afternoon.

• posted by jmarie41
    on

It’s almost bed time for me and I’m feeling good knowing I made it through day 3! It really helped me tonight to read all your posts. I have a slight headache; I think tonight is the worst I’ve felt but actually kind of glad to feel this way because I feel like my efforts are starting to work. Yay!

I am so thankful to knowing we are all on this blood sugar diet together. The support is amazing! Thank you everyone.
    I am too tired to write more but will check in tomorrow and see how you are all doing.

By the way, I live in California and it’s 8:40 pm. I got up to go to work at 3:30 am this morning so I’m exhausted.
    I am really enjoying reading posts from those of you who live in other countries. Sleep well, those of you who are on a similar time zone and good morning to those of you who live far away from me.

• posted by Ren65
    on

Morning I’m now on day 3 and had to report I have lost 6lbs already after 2 whole days! I’m smiling drinking my breakfast of coffee and cream! Just shows how bloated I was I have also lost 2″ from my waist and 1 from my tummy so feeling great and ready to take on day 3! Hope everyone has another good day!x

• posted by Busybee
    on

Good morning to our UK 10/10’eners. Day three already and feeling positive.
    X B

• posted by Granny
    on

Morning all, 8am here in the UK and have had a good laugh at all the posts overnight from far afield, this has set me up for the day and feeling positive at the start of day 3👍. Those of you who posted the calorie and carb count next to your meal is a great help to me as thats the bit i’m having difficulty with, looking up the carb count! Ive just had my 60th birthday and have been on a diet of some sort for years😒, at only 5ft and 1/2 i ch (very important lol) i need this one to work so i can run around and keep up with my 2 grandchildren😍, feeling hugs from this group tho so everything crossed💪🏻. Planned ahead for todays meals so thats a good start, good luck to everyone today👏

• posted by Granny
    on

Wow thats a fantastic weight loss Ren65 well done👍👍👍

• posted by sarahjoy74
    on

Morning again from the Isle of Man
    Two days in the bag and last night I turned down pizza and garlic bread and instead took courgette Bolognese… delicious and I didn’t feel like I was missing out at all!
    Meal plan the same as yesterday while I get bedded in to this plan
    B – 3 egg and bacon muffins
    L- carrot sticks, cucumber, 10 almonds, 40g cheese, 1 apple
    T- courgetti Bolognese with parmesan

I feel different, less bloated, less pain when I try and get out of bed etc (is that inflammation?) Ive gotta a feeling this is going to be about so much more than weight… I think my liver is going to love these 8 weeks of calm after 15 years of overeating, yo-yo dieting then 3 years of cancer and recurrances!

Have a great day everyone.

Sarah

• posted by Fiona1611
    on

I too started on 10/10. I had a heart attack 18 months ago, got very down, stopped smoking and piled on the pounds😩. I weigh 12st4 (there….Iv said it) so Iv a fair bit to lose. Iv been diagnosed with pre diabetes. Determined to do this!!! First 2 days have been ok, but very time consuming in preparation, but I guess it will get easier with experience. Iv asked to join the FB page, which I think is a great idea. Looking forward to meeting some of you on there. Good luck all x

• posted by Granny
    on

Courgetti bolognese sounds yum sarah, is the recipe online?

• posted by Natalie
    on

Day three done! I stuck to my plan… except I did scrape up a few flakes of potato along with sticky chicken fat in the pan and eat them! Even with that, 830 cals 28g carb for the day. I keep wondering if my app is broken, I’m getting through the day with so few calories and carbs! Today was fine with the bigger breakfast and smaller dinner, I just have to adjust quantities as I go.

Fiona I agree it’s very time consuming! I seem to spend half my day prepping food! Tonight I prepared a few days lunches as I was making dinner so that should save time. I think about food a lot. I lie in bed thinking about what I can eat tomorrow!

I wasn’t hungry today though. I don’t know if I’m already used to low calories by day three (unlikely) or the filling eggs for breakfast, or because I was in a bit of pain today. Having fibroid removal on Friday which should help. I’m feeling like the diet is working though.

Please log in or register to post a reply.