Spring into Summer: Week 2, June 5th

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

A new week, a new start, slates can be wiped clean, any blips forgotten. Tomorrow is a new day, a new start and we should be feeling good! Let’s make this week a good one moving towards our ultimate goals.

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Thanks Verano for your endless positivity and starting these lovely threads!

The last few weeks have been really stressful for me, culminating in finishing a job, packing up a home, driving 500 miles and starting a new job, all since last Thursday! Diet has not been my priority and I’ve accepted that I had to chose my battles and get through it any way I could.

I’m planning to ‘get back on it’ from tomorrow, but rather than following 800 calories I will just be counting carbs and keeping them under 50 to see if that will be enough to shift my final 10lbs. I will also be collecting my new mountain bike this week and climbing a mountain on the weekend, so hopefully the extra calories will be burnt off by fuelling the extra activity! Really excited to get stuck in to my new outdoorsy lifestyle 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• posted by alliecat
    on

Much, much happiness in your new home and chosen lifestyle, Nicki!

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Nicola12, congratulations on getting through all those adventures and coming out the other side. And well done for committing to a new start so soon after the challenges of the move. Yup I’ve found the keeping carbs to 50g ish and having a blurry line where the minutiae of cals is concerned a good approach. A low carb diet is one where carbs are between 50-130g a day apparently- for keto dieters 50g and below is the zone and for those of us having to really watch blood sugar levels it’s lower than 50g as i understand it. I placed myself on that spectrum on a day to day basis, mostly 50g, occasionally lower amd sometimes higher. My blood pressure is responding favourably and I’m losing weight at a pleasing pace.

Thanks, Verano for the new thread and your benediction of clean slates, new beginnings and fresh chances. I randomly fasted today – about 18 hours from last night’s meal to lunchtime today. I had not intended to and frankly was a bit bewildered by my decision to go with it. I kept asking myself, was i sure i didn’t need breakfast? It made the day easier as i had more cals to play with for the 2 meals.
    I often fasted through the mornings but had decided not to as i began this diet, imagining that the cal restriction would put paid to my staying power. It feels good to have that extra motivational juice in the tank. I shall play it by ear and report back. Now, to get through the week as well as I’ve started it… good eating, all.

X

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi trundlebug. I did a lot of research about low carb mediterranean diets before adopting this lifestyle 2 years ago.
    My research defined any low carb diet plan as under 50g a day, and a moderate carb plan as 50-100g per day. Do
    you have a source for the figures you sight? Thanks!

• posted by mindymoo84
    on

Hiya,

Today is my first day of trying the 8 week diet. I’m a TOFI and determined to see if I can reverse my diabetes! Was trying to find some newbie buddies but there are so many threads! Can I get involved here? I’ve tried to start stuff so many ones over the past two years, but this time I’m serious and hoping this forum help 😊 so just wanting to say 👋

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning! So to DAY 1 of 7 and already there’s only a smidgeon more than 15 hours of this day left to stick with our goals!

Nicola, well done for being so mindful despite your move. I think they say moving is number 2 on the list of the most stressful things in life. I’m in the middle of a very small ‘move’ in comparison to yours, and now it’s getting stressful! But hey it will be over in a few days and then I can get back to thinking about myself and my health again.

Trundlebug I think we all find our own way and for some it’s ‘ blurry’ and for others it’s not one ‘step backwards’. I think I probably fall in the middle of the extremes. Sometimes I’m very, very good and sometimes I’m very, very bad. BUT I really don’t eat simple carbs at all, I just have ‘portion’ problems!

So my goal this week is to just keep clinging on. Next Tuesday when my life gets back to normal I will start again with a vengeance! Have a good first day of this new week.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi mindymoo84 and welcome to our thread. We find having a new start every Tuesday helpful. So yes please join in and enjoy your journey.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Signing in for this challenge. I have just realised that I have absolutely no idea what I have lost during the challenge last week. I didn’t write down my weight for the last two weeks – thought I would easily remember it. Obviously my memory is not as good as I thought. Weight today is 9st 5 1/4lbs. Which is the lowest since starting BSD.

Have stopped checking fasting BS and before meal BS as it has become pointless as they are always in the low 4s. Have looked at 2hr after meal BS and it is absolutely Ok – usually around 6.5. But the one that is not OK is the 3hr or 4hr after lunch as it still stays around the 6.5 for at least 4 hours- then suddenly drops into the 5s. The after breakfast reading is ok and is usually in the 5s at 2hrs after breakfast. So that’s what I am tackling next week and the following weeks. Once those BS are more normal I think it will be a good sign that my body is working better.

• posted by mindymoo84
    on

Ah wow KrysiaD, do you mind me asking where you started in terms of blood sugar? I dream to have those numbers! Mine are not great at all really, my fasting is about 8 at the moment. Fingers crossed this will help 😊 I’m starting this week at 11st 6 (writing it here so I remember 😃)

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Trundlebug,
    It was one of the surprises to me how eating carbs was keeping me on a treadmill of eating, and it felt strange to discover the difference between hunger and feeling like eating. Eating 16:8 has been a great tool for me for both having a varied diet and coping with social events / meeting up with friends in an evening.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Mindymoo84 – a really good idea to write it down.

My HB1aC in 2012 was 125. Weight around 12st 6lbs. My GP tried to test my BS in the surgery but it was so high his meter just said high as I was off the scale. I think the hospital got a reading of 26.

I was Immediately put on multiple insulin injections throughout the day – so was injecting every time I ate. I think that is probably a quite severe T2D and was on insulin for 4 1/2 years. Even with all that insulin my fasting BS was around 6 and my HB1aC around 52 when I started the BSD. On the BSD – with no insulin it is 40. I do have to keep my carb to around 20g as am still quite insulin resistant, but am hopeful that this will improve further.

So I do think the BSD really works and I am sure that you will have no problems with getting your blood sugars down to lower levels – especially with all the support from this superb forum.

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Hi JGwen – yes me too. I find it keeps me the right side of portion control (a big 10-4 to the tendency to be very bad, Verano) and also helps to recalibrate my recognition of hunger as opposed to mindless eating.

Alliecat, i wanted to get ballpark figs when I began this WOE so looked up a few things on carbs. This is the one i cited https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-many-carbs-per-day-to-lose-weight#section1
    Although i realise now that it defines 50+g of carbs as a ‘moderate ‘carb diet. I think it was just the article’s assertion that one could still lose weight within that range of carbs that stuck with me. It helped when i OD’ d on nuts a couple of times!

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi Trundlebug – this site is a fabulous resource for info, recipes and is cited by Jason Fung and, I think, Dr MM. I’ve been benchmarking by carb limits by the Diet Doctor’s definition.
    Every definition of ketosis I’ve seen is sub 20 carbs https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All.I love the clean slate concept .Im slowly getting back on track.weight today is 83.8 kg.
    Fasting BGL 5.7mmol.Im aiming for 1 kg loss per week and reduce BG L to under 5mmol feeling quite positive today .I managed to waik for about 30minutes and lm low on carbs.The danger tome for me is after dinner at night so Ive planned a few things to keep me busy.
    Today Ive been focussed on a comment someone wrote on one of these forums last year.”we are responsible for what goes in our mouth. so its not about good luck but good effort” so I wish you all good effort

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Joining this group to give myself short term goals and objectives. I have weighed in this morning and know that I would like to lose between 3 and 5 lbs this week. Even though I have done this 100% before I am feeling very tense about going the whole way but know I will be seeing results in a couple of days and that will spur me on. The big thing for me is getting my insulin down to what it was before Christmas at 22 units and I have crept up to 36 over an extended holiday period. So there it is, lose 3-5lbs and insulin down to 30 units by next Tuesday.

• posted by mindymoo84
    on

Wishing you all good effort this week (I like that!)

I am going to just see what happens this week. I’ve never done this so no idea how my body will respond.

I’ve got some meal replacement shakes for these first two weeks, just for me psychologically I think it will help get into the rountine of not grabbing toast first thing or a sandwich at lunch. Hoping that once I see results and I’m a bit weened off bread, I’ll be more motivated to have low carb breakfast and lunch 👍

My partner is amazing at making low carb tasty dinners. It’s just that by that point I’ve usually eaten my body weight in carbs 😂

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Thanks for the link, MaggieBath. I will have a look.
    Mindymoo84 i hear you! Don’t worry, you’ll get through it and find you don’t crave the carbs in the same way very soon after beginning the WOE. I never thought myself capable of it and have been very surprised.

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Ooh blimey MaggieBath what a great resource. Thanks for the share!

• posted by hedwig6
    on

Hi there. I just joined, and figured a weekly thread might be a good place to start. I’m 5′ 2″, and around 58 kg/128 lbs. I’d like to lose somewhere between 5-10 kgs, but mostly want to improve the way I eat. I started a terrible habit of grabbing whatever food whenever when the kids were very small, and haven’t kicked it since. Also, I’m vegetarian but am terrible with fruit and vegetable intake. Bread and butter are my nemesis :). My main goals are:

– Up fruit and veg intake, and reduce other carbs (bread, pasta, etc.)
    – Introduce a longer period of fasting daily (16/8, maybe)

I’d like to kick start myself into a healthier lifestyle and could use some accountability. Should I be here, or on a different board/thread?

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi Hedwig and you’re absolutely in the right place! I think tidying away leftovers by eating them is a habit we pick up when the kids are small and never quite get over it.
    Just a warning about fruit – some of the most delicious are really high in carbs and really the only safe ones are berries and then sparingly. Sad isn’t it?
    You’ll make it a lot easier for yourself if you knock those refined carbs on the head; the real benefits come after you’ve detoxed from carbs, that’s when this was of eating becomes a way of life rather than just another diet.
    Good luck, you’re in the right place for heaps of positive support.
    Maggie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh Maggie, your lovely British expression of “tidying up leftovers” by eating them did make me laugh!! We’re more
    likely to say “waste not, want not”. All born in childhood teachings that people are starving in China… 🙂

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Haha – my parents mantra was think of the starving millions. I once suggested my leftovers were sent to them. I was sent to my room!
    Colloquialisms are fun, aren’t they?
    Maggie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Ha, Maggie! I was duly punished for my “smart mouth”, too. Or being guilty of always having to get “the last word in” 🙂
    I would have been happy to have been sent to my room, though, instead of being made to sit at the table until disgusting
    food like liver or lima beans were cleared from my plate. I survived by dousing the offending foodstuffs with worcestershire
    sauce to kill the taste 🙂 For awhile I tried to hide the offending items in the jacket of an empty baked potato, but parents
    soon got wise to that maneuver. Little power struggles, I think 🙂

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Allie, it was hard to hide a wholesome bowl of porridge anywhere, not even in the dog!
    Early training in problem solving!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning. Lovely to see lots of people on board this week and such activity. I’ll be ofline later today for a few days but will catch up when I can. In the meantime I hope you all have a productive few days.

• posted by JGwen
    on

My mother was fixated on the starving children in Africa, and i did get more than one clip around the ear for suggesting we send what was on the plate in front of me to them. – I had the full routine of not being allowed to get down from the table until the plate was clean. – and the same meal served up reheated for a number of meal times until it was all gone. – The positives, I did become an expert in piling up food to make it look like most of the plate was empty. Also after a while she admitted defeat by serving up my meal and then turning back to the cooker to serve up her meal during which time items I didn’t want to eat made their way from my plate to the family dog. :-0 –

But to be fair to my mother, she did grow up in poverty, she had to work as a cleaner before and after going to school and leave school at 14 to work full time to help bring in enough so that all the family could eat. – Her father died in an accident at work and there wasn’t the welfare state to help single mums in those days. During bad times her mother would lie and say she had already eaten because there wasn’t enough food available for both the children and herself. –

• posted by missjasmine
    on

Hey everyone! I’m also in my first week and started on Monday. I’m determined to reverse my diabetes once and for all and really hope I can do it this time. I’m keeping my carbs to 20g. I’ve got to admit that the first day was a struggle and I did have abit of headache by the time I went to bed but drinking more water has definitely helped! Weighed myself on Monday morning and since then my blood sugars are showing improvement already. We can do this!! The support on this forum is amazing 🙂

on

Hi there, this is a good time to work out my mistakes and I came across 2 whoppers yesterday. I add up my daily menu to reach around 650 calories then I can allow myself a 10g piece of very dark chocolate at 50 cals and I always have a snack before bed. Usually it is just a chunk of chicken or ham but I have got into the habit of having it on a Ryvita (yes I know it is a carb) with butter, another 100 cals. So I am up to my 800 calories but that doesn’t give me any leeway for a coffee with milk or maybe an afternoon piece of meat if my BG goes too low. Also, there are days when I plan for, say, 750 calories but still have the same snack or treat, taking me over the 800 calories. From now on it has to stop. I will still have my bedtime snack but no chocolate and no Ryvita.

It is good to come back to these things and see where you are slipping up. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone. I’m having mixed progress . yesterday i was up to 84kg so I knew that I need to get control of portions and weigh everything,I did well till 10pm when a couple of biscuits corrupted me. Never mind,this morning weight was down to 83.6 on track to loose 1kg per week and BGL 5.7mmol . Ive had a very strict morning a couple of cups of coffee and nothing till 1pm . no time for lunch so an egg and then a latte at 3pm which should be enough but I started to get a bit hypo and I couldn’t find anything low carb where I was at the shops so succumbed to a grilled cheese on a bun. I usually have a few almonds in my bag and a bottle of water but not today when I needed. So, note to self get more organized. I’m trying to limit myself for the rest of the evening.It will be interesting to see tomorrows weight. I hope everyone is doing well, its been raining heavily for the last 4 days and its down to 5 degrees so Im beginning to envy the British summer weather.

on

Still some mistakes but I made a compromise – last night I made an omelette for dinner – as usual I cut a small chunk to save for supper so it was still counted in my days allowance. Because that was my snack I didn’t need chicken or ham with or without Ryvita so no added calories there so I did allow myself the square of chocolate – total calories 720.

Lost some weight and reduced insulin by 1 unit and BG was still down this morning. All happy of this front just wish it would stop raining so I can get back in the pool.

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi!
    Hope I can join you a bit late.
    Just home from a business trip.
    Starting today and hope beeing home will help me to follow the diet routine. Will try to catch up and read all your comments later. Its so deep and sometimes earthshaking to take part of the lifestyle yurney you all share. It feels like I am “selected” to be a part of not just my own rocky yurney but in everyone’s else’s yurney to. I feel deeply greatfull and thankful for this confidence and trust. And I can’t thank you enough ❤️ Verano❤️ for your efforts put in this matter. You must have endless of love and strength to keep up this work. We can just silently bow our heads in greatfulness and hope that you can feel the love beeing sent to you. Words are just not enough to express it all. Maby a poem would. But I’m not a poet. Maby a handwritten letter would. But I don’t now where in the world you live. Maby a gift would do it. But no gift would match. And maby you just feel it anyway. 🙏
    Buddhas Wife

• posted by hedwig6
    on

Thanks for the info on fruit! I don’t have any heath conditions, and my BMI is within normal range, so I am wondering how necessary it is to be eagle-eyed about my carb intake, if the carbs are coming from fruit, veggies & legumes. I feel like it might make sense for me to start with breads, added sugars and such and see how much of a difference that makes, before working down to fruit. Am I missing something?

I have not had a good plan so far, though, so I haven’t technically started yet :). This is like pre-start week for me, when I’m trying to feel out what might work in terms of schedule and ways to break up the meals. It’s helpful to read about all your experiences, so I echo that thank you above, for sharing your process and experience.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Missjasmine
    You will definitely reverse the diabetes with 20g carbs. Great that you blood sugars are showing improvement already. The first couple of weeks are the hardest but the longer you stay off the carbs the easier it gets. I agree that drinking lots of water is very important.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Why not dive in and do the full programme? Quick wins are very motivating and you won’t get the benefits without following the principles. And you might be very surprised at how good you feel if you go for it.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi hedwig6,
    I think that no matter if you decide to dip a toe in by just cutting out the white carbs (bread, rice, pasta etc) or jump in, it would still be best to measure and log the amount of carbs you are eating. You will be surprised how many places carbs hide and how easily they add up. If you have been measuring you will start to see how you can easily reduce levels further and
    Also carbs raise insulin which makes you crave more carbs. My experience was that I found it easier to keep the cals down to 800 and get hunger under control by controlling carbs.

The impression I have from being on the forums since last October is that its more likely that someone will slip back to old eating habits after hitting their targets if they try to avoid cutting carbs right down. I think those of us who have so much weight to loose that we are fierce on our carb limits and do multiple rounds of the 800 cals have an advantage when it comes to breaking free from carbs long term as our taste buds adapt. –

• posted by hedwig6
    on

@maggiebath and @jgwen, those are great points, and you convinced me that it’s worth trying out.

I am in for low carb, for 8 weeks. I think I’ll go for the 50g goal rather than 20g on most days, though, given vegetarianism and also so I can be part of family meals. I’m really curious about how it will feel in terms of energy levels, cravings, etc. Thinking of it this way makes it feel more like a game, which I think I’ll enjoy.

Thanks so much!

• posted by mindymoo84
    on

I’ve cracked! I went to work this morning with no plan and ended up getting to 4pm not eating – bar a shake at 8am – such a bad move I know. So popped into Wagamamas – in my head I thought it would be low carb – ended up ordering and then googling what I ordered – 1100 calories 😱 I felt lethargic and high almost immediately – must remember to bottle that feeling 😣. At first I was thought ah sod it I’ll take today off, but feeling determined again, so think I’ll go for a walk and call it a day food wise today.

• posted by mindymoo84
    on

Hedwig, after only two days I felt amazing energy wise and my BS were down to 6!!

• posted by Chimp Tamer
    on

HI can I join in?
    I started Fast800 on Monday. So day 5. I feel like I have turned a corner – slept well for the first time last night and have woken up with energy after days of feeling completely rubbish. I have lost about 2kg. I only need to lose 8kg so I am a quarter of the way there already!! Though I know that rate of loss won’t be sustained. My plan is to go Fast800 for 2 weeks to kickstart the weight loss then 5:2 till I get to goal then maintenance. I have dieted a zillion times before but never got anywhere. I always plateau very quickly, feel rubbish, crave food constantly and regain all the weight plus a bit. So fingers crossed carb control is the way to go! After YEARS of trying to get rid of an unwanted extra stone it seems too good to be true that it could be this easy…. But I watched The Truth About Carbs on catch up last night and am amazed that the diet advice (low fat, high carb) for managing weight has been so wrong for so long!! So maybe this reallly is a plan that will work long term. One thing I have noticed is that most diets say to save some calories for treats. So I have always allowed myself chocolate, crisps etc within a calorie counted plan and have just wanted more. Whereas none at all feels easier than a small amount. Soo far anyway.
    Good luck to all my felllow BSD travellers. I am very glad to have found this forum.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Glad to hear you’ve broken through to the good times! Isn’t it great when you’ve gone through the detox and get that energy. For me the further I’ve gone into it the more unmoved I am by Krispy Kreme Donuts – and I have a 24 hour one in walking distance! – and the Majestic Wine next door 🙂
    It really is a way of life rather than just another diet.
    Maggie

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Hello ChimpTamer – and may i say, what a great moniker that is.

I have found the same – cold turkey is far easier than I had anticipated and far less room for shilly shallying works far better for me. Keep up the good work.

I’m at week 7 of the 8 weeks and feeling surprised and pleased to have made it, quite frankly. Weight has fallen off which gives a big boost but more significantly for me, my blood pressure is normalizing. This is the factor that has kept me on this diet. Between vanity and crisps, crisps would win hands down for me but when health enters the equation, my motivation kicks in I’m pleased to report. So as my last week on 800 begins I’m thinking about life the other side of it. I’m looking forward to losing the calorie count – am reading Jason Fung and plan to follow the guidelines he puts forward. I’m interested to know from long termers what you do about fibre – both soluble and insoluble in your diets, as both Fung and Lustig claim it’s an important part of protecting good biomes in the lower intestine as well as protective for the liver and pancreas. Is fibre compromised on a low carb diet, however, and what parameters do you use for deciding on its inclusion? All opinions welcome.

Keep it up, all

Trundlebug

on

Hi everyone, still keeping on… lost a little more weight and BG and insulin remain the same, slowly, slowly catch the monkey. Talking of which, Chimp Tamer – seems you have a plan but as you only have 8kg to lose I am sure after the first 2 weeks on this you will be well on your way to that goal so why not continue for 4 weeks, then 6, then do the whole 8 and start on 5:2 as your maintenance plan. By then you will have deffo tamed your inner chimp rather just having taught it a few new tricks.

It really feels good to be in control and I know this diet shows results but because I have never been off it in terms of carbs – I just blast the calories sometimes – I know I wont have fantastic results as my body is already used to low carbs. From this point of view I am happy that I can still lose 3 to 5 lbs in the first week, a good result in anyone’s book. We had a lovely hot day yesterday and the pool is back up to 24 degrees so hubby is currently out their giving it a clean (actually the robot does the work) and clearing up the Sahara sand that the rain brings. Fingers crossed I will be back in this afternoon and boosting my weight loss.

Have a good day everyone and bon weekend for tomorrow.

• posted by Chimp Tamer
    on

Thanks MaggieMay and Trundlebug!
    I find the same with alcohol – no drink is easy but just 1 glass is hard!
    I have just made a cup of coffee with milk and noticed it tastes sweet! For a moment I wondered why my coffee tasted like someone had sweetened it then I realised it must just be the lactose in the milk. Amazing to get such direct evidence of my body adjusting.
    Another quesiton for long timers. How do you manage being a guest in a carbo-centric world? I have just spent a week with my in-laws. Breakfast options were cereal or toast. Lunch was always sandwiches or rolls. And supper was also based around carbs: pasta bake, spaghetti bolognese etc. It was before I started Fast800 so I didn’t worry about it but if this is a way of life not a temporary diet then how do I deal with this in future? It feels very rude to expect special meals and even though I would be happy too cook for myself it also seems very rude to turn down their hospitality and ask to use their kitchen!! I can’t even explain it as a health need as I am not pre-diabetic or diabetic. Any tips? My OH and his family are all sporty, slim, carb-aholics and feel convinced that all meals should be structured around carbs. They think that is the healthiest way to eat and while my OH is interested and is looking into BSD, his parents aren’t. We spend quite a lot of time there too!

• posted by Chimp Tamer
    on

Thanks Sunshine girl. After 2 weeks I will review the plan. But 2 weeks seemed a mammoth undertaking to start with. I have NEVER eaten so little and could not believe 800 cals was even possible. I am discovering that it is not nearly as bad as I expected but for now I need a short term goal that feels achievable which is 2 weeks. xx

on

Hi Chimp Tamer, my point was that after 2 weeks you will be so into this you will be ready to continue – and doing it 2 weeks at a time wont seem quite so daunting. See how you feel after 2 weeks and keep posting.

Your question about alcohol. I cannot have just one drink so I dont have anything. Funny though, as long as I have a glass of cool water at my side to keep guzzling it doesn’t feel any different from drinking wine (without the effect). My problem is I dont sleep well and a few glasses helps with that but I know if I go alcohol free it only takes a couple of nights for my sleep pattern to adjust and I sleep like a baby (yeah, wake up every 3 hours to use the toilet – joke).

How do you cope as a guest . hotel etc???? Very difficult, try to avoid until you know you can say no to carbs. Try saying you are on a medical plan to reduce whatever, just something to make it sound like it is for your health. Dont ask anyone to make special meals but to provide you with more veg or salad. If it is a one off you can put up with a pile of veg but I went on a cruise and asked for more veg and if I never see another piece of overcook broccoli again….. Went to a relatives and told them no carbs and no fish (I dont eat it), first night they served fish and chips. I ate the fish but she poached it in milk which made it taste worse – again only one night which I could put up with. Restaurant – ordered a meal with extra salad and no chips, waitress brought me the chips on a separate plate ‘just in case you change your mind’. No it is not easy but it gets easier. I cant even get my daughter to provide for me even though she bought in loads of vegan stuff for a party there was not a sign of a lettuce or cucumber for me. I am still thinking about how I can handle this without upsetting her. You can also think that as you are not diabetic a one off portion of rice etc would not do too much harm as long as you make sure it is just a one off and dont get back into the addictive cycle. I personally found a portion of rice was like eating wallpaper paste and really only there to mop up the gravy / juice. Be strong.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Any reason why you can’t say you are pre diabetic and supply the food? It’s only a lie to save their feelings. And make the food a bit special, say farm shop stuff. Might make them think.
    My question is always, by saying yes (ie accepting their food) are you saying no to yourself?
    I should imagine as long as they can feed their grandchildren what they choose to they’ll be happy.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Chimp Trainer, I think how we handle each example of socialising in a carb centric world depends on the circumstances and the people and the relationship and the reason you want to follow this program. –
    If its just a meal out then most restaurants will adapt, replacing carb high dishes with extra veg.
    If its a business meeting with lunch most ask for details of allergies and dietary requirements.
    I spent a day with a close friend last week who took the time to ask me what I would like to eat and went shopping specifically to buy ingredients that I could eat.
    I have had completely different experiences at other times. People who know about the changes to my eating habits and make much of the amount of weight I have lost who suggest meeting for a coffee but when we get there order cake or a meal. I don’t understand why they are shocked when I refuse to join them.
    ———————————————–
    It may be worth researching more about how insulin works and insulin resistance, so that you feel more confident explaining to people you have a good relationship with why you have chosen this WoE. – There are a lot of useful resources listed on the take a look at this thread.

on

I think the pre-diabetic excuse might be a bit frightening for most – it is a serious matter. Can you not get your husband on board – maybe get him to watch the BBC programme The Truth About Carbs. Simply say you know you are not massively overweight but just want to get a grip before it becomes a problem. They should be on your side. However, my daughters favourite saying is oh come on mum it wont kill you – to which I answer – maybe not today but it will eventually kill me.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

You’re right sunshine-girl, that was in rather poor taste., I apologise.
    All my adult life (while my parents were alive) they would say, you don’t need lose weight, which is how so many people respond to other people’s diets – or I think you look great as you are. The point is how we feel, not someone else’s opinion of you.
    The same thing when you aren’t drinking. I think it’s because they know they should be eating/drinking in a healthier way and they resent being reminded. The truth is that not many people will support anyone’s healthy choices. At least that’s been my experience.
    Maggie

Please log in or register to post a reply.