Sort out your wardrobe!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Squidge
    on

*shudders*

I haven’t ironed anything since I had a day job for which I had to wear a uniform. Now I give washed clothes a really good shake when they come out of the machine and dry them on coat hangers (or spread flat in a few cases).

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Squidge I don’t so the ironing my OH does it all🤣. He is ex army so I let him get on with it! I would hate to put tram lines on his shirts🤣💞🦜

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Sixturkies, I use a steam iron too, but not for fun.
    Squidge, saved by polyester! My favourite dresses are polyester because they come out of the suitcase ready to wear. The cooler cotton needs a day of hanging before it’s creases are shaken out.
    Birdy, my husband hates ironing but it’s a necessity of his work. No t-shirts there. He has always done his own shirts.

• posted by Squidge
    on

My husband is no more keen on ironing than I am. He used to do it as he’s the neat and tidy sort (he does most of the housework as my standars don’t reach his!) but I’ve converted him to my method.

The only thing he does iron is his dress shirt the rare times he wears a DJ. It has fancy creases down the front and they do need to be really flat and straight to look right.

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hello everyone!
    I just joined the forum again after being away sins July 2018. So happy to see all the names I remember! ❤️
    My wardrobe is extremely big, about 6 big garderobe,+winter clothes. Only cleared a tiny bit last summer but all sizes are still in there. A really big nasty energy drainer! It haunts me!
    I know clearing is the only way so this thread is so important!
    One of my plans is to take ALL out in the garden (when summer comes). Then pick up only the things I love to wear, washing it and let it dry in the wind and sun.
    Quickly, before I change my mind, pack the rest, put it in the car, drive away and leave it to charity.
    Swab the wardrobes, debuild some of them and throw them out.
    Then before night dew falls bring in all the lovley sunsmelling items. But I’m afraid I don’t have the guts. Still it would definitely give me energy instead of taking.
    What do you think?
    Is it a to big job? Or shall I take a little at a time? Maby start a recurring thread here with a monthly wardrobecleaningday?
    Or ask MM to make a BBC program about this “nice” problem where we (or rather those of us that have had a success in this) can participate and give hope and advice to others? This problem must be enormus.
    Love
    Buddhas Wife

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi Buddha’s wife and a warm welcome, I am new just three weeks in. I have a very small wardrobe and one chest of drawers that I sorted on Saturday, I am left with a few choice pieces for the spring and summer which I hope to add to and a lot of black! I have put winter things away on. It felt great achieve it. I would say you need to either tackle it head on and get over with or just start with a season change. It really was therapeutic. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Patricia, you’ve made my heart positively sign just reading your posts, I only wish I could see your lovely new wardrobe. I’d love to find a way we could share a few pictures, especially since I feel I’m getting to know you all.

Buddha’s wife( great name by the way), I love your enthusiasm to tackle 6 wardrobes in one day and the idea to get it all outside is brilliant. However, unless you have someone to help it sounds like an exhausting job. What about doing one wardrobe at a time and then you’ll feel more motivated to continue?
    Love reading about how motivated everyone is feeling and that none of us are freakishly tidy. My husband’s aunt loves ironing and whenever she stays with us does our ironing, she irons her knickers and bras but is quite sane apart from that. I off to the other threads to confess my holiday sins.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Way hey skipping your back!❤️ Hope you had a fantastic holiday. You have inspired us all with this thread! Could we not have a closed Facebook page? With a name that isn’t necessarily anything to do with BSD and we have to answer specific questions that are unique to us? Just a thought. 💞🦜

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi Buddha’s wife, I also think that the wardrobe needs sorting just as much as the food cupboard when we start the BSD.

Throwing out bags of muesli, flour, rice, was really a strong impulse, and helped keep me strong when I felt lost (so much to learn about what, how and when to eat.)

I was very reluctant to throw away things I like, even when they haven’t been worn for years.
    I changed my mind about this; I am very happy with my wardrobe after the hard work I put in.

I think the reason why is that I found people on the forum who like thinking and chatting about these things; also I found my husband really enjoyed watching when I was trying on clothes.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Buddhas wife!

That does sound like a big job. You could make it easier beforehand by going through one section a day and finding something you are willing to give to charity. Stop as soon as you find something and it shouldn’t take long. If you’re close enough, go for a walk down the charity shop each day. Otherwise put it straight into a bag to take, or one which will be collected if you get those through the door. Just make sure that once you’ve made the decision you stick to it.

Once you’ve got rid of some, it’ll be much easier to find what you want to wear, and your clothes won’t get creased from being squashed together. It might also help you feel that you’re taking control – It did for me. Getting rid of things I didn’t like, no longer fitted (as I’d got slimmer – yay!) or otherwise wouldn’t wear meant I was left with clothes I felt relatively confident in, and I’m motivated to stay slim enough to wear them. It’s hard to feel that way about something saggy and dingy.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Skipping, my mate! Glad you are back. I’d love to show you how it’s set up.

I think a closed Facebook group is a great idea birdy. But we would need permission from the webmaster. Or perhaps Allie has a solution?

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Love all your comments!!! ❤️
    I will rethink, take it in several batches instead. I have to take it out and sort it myself, but maby I’ll ask my OH to pack and take it away.
    Just remember when I cleared a room long time ago. It was filled with paper and magazine’s. Had very little time then and it took me some month’s to fix. For every filled paperbag I took out I put it on the scale. The increasing number of the kilos thrown away kept me going until all of it was gone. Fellt really good. It was like a game. Maby I should do something similar with the clothes? Count them or something? I feel like I’m trying to escape the feelings of helplessness. It’s a bit desperate. But if playing and have a bit of fun makes it work maby I can try.
    Thanks for helping me think better!
    Love!
    BW

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Buddhas wife, welcome back to the forum.

One of the regular posters on the forum is quiet at present because she is on holiday, but duckie has a method for sorting out her wardrobe which makes sense to me.

She keeps a bag on the back of her door and when she is getting dressed in a morning if what she tries on first is too big she puts it in the bag to go to charity and gets something else out of the wardrobe.

Or if your wardrobe is stocked with designer / craft pieces why not advertise them for sale online and turn it into a way of raising funds for something you want to do / buy.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Counting stuff sounds like a good idea, Buddha’s wife. You could make a little chart of how many of each type of clothing you donate to a charity shop, to remind you that you’re helping others, not just yourself.

A rule I have is that if I buy any new clothes (or get given them) I have to throw out or give away at least one item before the new thing can be put away or worn. That applies even if it’s underwear, footwear, a scarf – absolutely everything. Doesn’t have to be like for like – I could buy a pair of socks and dispose of two jumpers.

Please log in or register to post a reply.