So…it starts today: my 8 week (at least) diary

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hello again everyone – how are you all doing? Do you have the Friday feeling? Looking forward to the weekend? ๐Ÿ™‚

I have decided that I am starting a new 8 weeks today. I’ve had a few “off” days turning into almost weeks and this has resulted in my weight creeping back up almost to where it was when I started back in September. At the risk of all that time and effort being laid to waste (or more importantly, waist…..) I am going to attempt a very strict four weeks between now and Christmas. I have a couple of parties to go to between now and then but am going to plan around them and try to remain on track. I’m not doing myself any favours physically/mentally/emotionally with all this on again, off again stuff and it’s starting to make me stressed and miserable. So, now you know what I’m up to, pleeeeeeeease help me stay on track!

• posted by 5cuba
    on

Hi lovelies,

Thought I would update you on how I’m getting on after my transition from BSD to 5:2/3:4. So, after 8 weeks on the BSD i lost 34lbs and 7 inches off my waist ๐Ÿ˜Š. It’s not been an easy transition as I have been struggling to eat my TDEE on NFD (non fast days) as I get full really quickly ๐Ÿ˜•. So to make it easier I have done AFD (alternate day fasting) on my first week off the BSD and included one water only fast day. It was weigh in today (I normally weigh in on a Monday, but was unable to this week). So, I lost 6lbs this week and another inch off my waist and I am now a healthy weight for my height and my BMI is 24 ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š. So loss in 9 weeks is 40lbs!!!!! I have 9lb left to loose to be at target weight which gives me some flexibility if I put a little weight back on ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š.

I just want to say both diets work if you are determined to make that change. I love all food groups and was a diabetic. I’m no longer a diabetic and am the healthiest I have ever been. I regularly exercise now and feel amazing. I’m buying size 10 clothes!!! I haven’t done that in a long time ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š. Stick at it my lovelies, I know you can do it and feel healthy too.

If you need any tips I’ll be happy to advise about what worked for me.

Good luck to everyone on their weight loss journey. Louise ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿค—xxx

• posted by Thisisit
    on

Great results Louise…keep up the good work and positive mental attitude :). Just one Q. Do you have days where you only drink water? Or did I misread?

Flash21, it’s good your making a clean slate and starting again with four weeks.
    I would like to see you post ‘I’m going to do it’ (attempt or try words are not fully committed words), so let’s hear those commitment words from you Flash! ๐Ÿ˜. Your gonna do it…
    FOUR weeks. They say it takes 30 days to form a habit ๐Ÿ˜Š, and a good way to start Christmas.

Im off to a hotel for a two night break tomorrow, but I’ve worked so hard over the last four weeks I’m determined to stay on track by eating sensible portion sizes and making the right food choices, while enjoying myself.
    I might have one gin and slim line tonic in the evening, or I might decide to stick to soda. The great thing is i feel in control and free to decide.
    Going to parties, having trips away from home, Christmas, doesn’t mean you can’t have a good time while staying on track :).

I will see what the scales say on my return!!!

How has your weekend gone Flash?

• posted by Flash21
    on

Good morning!

Louise – so good to hear you’ve had another really great loss since moving over to an AFD way of eating. I actually quite like the sound of that so will definitely bear it in mind for when I’ve finished this 8 weeks. You’ve done amazingly well and must feel so proud! I would like to get to that point too.

So, Thisisit, here is my statement: I am going to do this!! I am going to stick to this new 8 weeks of the BSD and as a result I am going to lose weight, feel healthier and have more energy ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope you enjoy your break. You sound very determined to stay on track so I am sure you will do well!

A quick round up of scale and non-scale victories since I began with new resolve on Friday:
    4lbs down
    Drinking a LOT more water
    Resisted FREE cakes and pastries at work
    Discovered chicken sausages (small and thin but quite tasty and only 72 cals for 2!)
    Went out for lunch and CHOSE A SALAD whilst everyone had burgers and chips or other carby meals! (in fact it was one of the best salads I’ve had in a while)

Just need to keep this up and hopefully by Christmas I’ll have made a dent in my waistline ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

4lbs in 3 days! Brilliant!

• posted by Flash21
    on

Thank you Baristagirls! How are you today? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Doing an 800 day for the next 4 days as I need a reboot! Didn’t put any weight on but made a few bad choices and didn’t feel very well for it. But we can do this!

• posted by Aussieute
    on

Flash21 … tough road but stay on the pathway
    You will overcome the challenge

I haven’t eaten bread for 15 years, potatoes for 20
    Totally grain free for 15 months

Easiest action is rid the house of anything you cannot eat.
    If you live with others it’s tougher … remember what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    The biggest challenge is when going out and all there is to eat at an event is sandwiches, slices, cakes and biscuits. Drink lots of tea.

66 days is the key … if you can get past the not eating something, not doing something you are a winner … more importantly doing something new is the positive key.
    It takes 66 days to create and normalise the creation of a new habbit.
    This is the foundation of The One Thing … http://www.the1thing.com
    This process just works … appreciating that we have choices and can stay the path, with support.
    Go well

• posted by Flash21
    on

Baristagirls – a little reboot sounds good! Hopefully it’ll make you feel refreshed and more energised. Let me know how you get on.

Aussieute – thanks for the encouragement! You have remarkable resolve! I need to break the back of the carb monster and then I think it’ll be much easier. I definitely keep hitting those moments where there is little else to eat other than cakes and sandwiches so need to find a way of dealing with that better. Will check out that website though – thanks for the tip!

• posted by Thisisit
    on

Drum roll…down 2lb ๐Ÿ˜‡!
    Had an enjoyable couple of days at hotel, I had no carbs and chose from the dinner menu, rather than helping myself to carvery etc where my plate ends up 3 feet high with food as I try to return to the table secretly hoping no one notices my plate is three times bigger than my husbands ๐Ÿ™„)!
    Drank soda, had two gin and slimline tonics (per evening ๐Ÿ˜‰). Black coffee with my chosen dessert of ice cream…yes I know ice cream is high, but I felt two scoops of that was better than alternatives such as sticky toffee pudding, cheesecake with ice cream, spotted Richard and custard, cheeseboard!
    Worked some of it off with a good boogie on the dance floor…it actually feels good now I’m back home knowing I didn’t go mad and confident I can resume my strict regime again. I put the 2lb loss down to the fact I had a really good few days prior to going away (500/400 cals) which helped!

Flash, you bought an enormous smile to my face reading your post. Love the positive words instead of the wishy washy half hearted ones ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜. You definitely sound more determined ๐Ÿ˜. Down 4lbs is a brilliant start. Keep it up (and Baristagirls), I’ve got my eye on you ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰

Aussieute I will also look at that website

• posted by Flash21
    on

Yay! Great news again, Thisisit! You obviously did well while you were away ๐Ÿ™‚

Very pleased to hear I made you smile too!! I shall use that as encouragement to keep me on the straight and narrow. I am feeling much more determined so am ON IT this time!

What’s everyone having for dinner?

• posted by topcac
    on

I think I know what I’m having but I am always the last one home and sometimes my OH decides to drift from the plan!! Think it’s Courgetti with Puttanesca Sauce from the BSD recipe book – but could be pesto chicken with brocolli and cauliflower…

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Hi all.
    I restarted 4 days ago.
    Ups and downs for sure but looking forward to completing first week of 3rd attempt!

Hope you are all going great guns!

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hi topcac – what’s that puttanesca sauce like? Or was it pesto chicken in the end?! I’m not the biggest fan of pesto but trying to enjoy it more!

Nedds mum – HELLO!! How nice to hear from you ๐Ÿ™‚ So pleased you’re coming to the end of a new first week. Have you weighed and/or measured yet?

I’m feeling relatively good today as have been drinking water, focusing on good food choices (have got a salad with me for lunch today) and generally trying to relax and de-stress – mostly because tomorrow I’m going into hospital for some treatment on my back and am really nervous about it!

Hope everyone is having a good start to their week ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi Flash – personally I really like it (it was Puttanesca) but it’s quite salty, black olives, anchovies, bound to be. With courgetti it seriously tastes just like a pasta dish. When I get a bit braver I’m going to try inventing a sauce with cheese, bacon and cream – what could go wrong!

Love pesto too but then I love all food – that’s why I’m here!

Hope all goes well tomorrow, don’t know if you’re doing any mindfulness but I’m sure that will help and well done on healthy choices today!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

hi there, just to give you a smile, do you know what puttanesca means. I leave it to you to look up. I will come back later to see if you have worked it out.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hey sunshine-girl! I know what it means but going to keep quiet to see if anyone else does too!

Topcac – glad it’s tasty. I think I’d have to leave out the olives though as just cannot bear the taste of them – yuck. I often go for a cream/cheese/bacon combo – it’s sooo good! In fact, you could make a lovely creamy, bacony cauliflower cheese with a nice crispy topping. And continuing the bacon theme, I had some small lardons in my salad today with peas, edamame beans, broccoli, cauli, sun-dried toms and some crumbled feta – it was delicious! Go for it, you won’t be disappointed ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you for the good wishes for tomorrow. I will report back in a couple of days’ time!

• posted by topcac
    on

Hmm – I know I work long hours but I’m not doing THAT – just to be clear LOL

• posted by Flash21
    on

๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

on

Anyone fancy the night shift!!!

• posted by Natalie
    on

I know what puttanesca means! I think I learned in the same documentary that went through Pompeii showing the penises carved in the ancient stone, pointing the way to the brothel!

• posted by Thisisit
    on

No drum roll at the end of week 5….stayed the same ๐Ÿ˜ญ.

Christmas Day is the end of eight weeks for me (talk about timing!!)

Three weeks remaining to get good results. Admittedly week five after hotel break has not been as strict, with calories slipping up near 1000! So the scales have spoken ๐Ÿ˜ก.
    So here’s to the next three weeks of being strict (not easy with soooo many temptations all around this time of year. If anyone offers me a mince pie and glass of mulled wine one more time I will scream ๐Ÿ˜ž๐Ÿ˜‰. Have managed to resist so far!)

I have delayed Christmas food shopping until the last couple of days so I won’t be tempted with anything ๐Ÿ˜‡

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

You are being strong Thisisit! Don’t worry if it is a bit slow, it absolutely will work even if it takes a bit longer than you expected. I went through about 3 eight week programs to finally get to goal — I actually got better at it as I went along and lost more and more quickly. Aaaah, but mulled wine….one of my favorites so I’m staying way-way-away from it this month! (So festive, so sugary! So sad!!!!๐Ÿ˜œ)

• posted by Thisisit
    on

Where is everyone??! How is everyone doing?
    I have lost 3lb this week!
    Two weeks left to go to complete my eight weeks…

• posted by Thisisit
    on

No mince pies have passed my lips ๐Ÿ˜‡. A small mulled wine slipped in during the week though, oops (im human!) ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Thisisit
    on

Californiagirl my plan is to do three lots of eight weeks to achieve my goal.
    I’m so looking forward to finishing the first lot of eight weeks though (Christmas Day marks the end). I will enjoy having Christmas and Boxing Day off whilst being a little careful, but then back on it to start round two of eight weeks.
    This week has not felt easy despite losing 3lbs, I find myself wishing the weeks/days away just to get to the end of each week…you said it got easier and you got better at doing it!!! How?

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hello folks, back now after some time away following back treatment. It was extremely painful and I ended up allowing myself lots of “treats” as a result so now I’ve got to put a stop to that and return to stricter BSD ways!

Thisisit you are doing really well! Standing strong in the face of mince pie is not something I have managed! And another 3lbs down is impressive. I think I am going to be doing the same as you with repeating the blocks of 8 weeks until I reach my target. I guess it gets easier in the sense that it’ll become more habitual and we’ll know what spikes our weight or slows down the rate of loss etc. We can do it!

How is everyone else?

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hope you are feeling better now Flash21. Hope the pain is better and you enjoyed your “treats”

I think there are a few who are doing blocks of 8 weeks. I know I am. Thinking about the next twelve months to loose over 100 plus pounds is very depressing for me and I am finding this way of eating a big “must” for me. I can only think about my weight in a stone at a time.

Ha ha…luckily I am not keen on mince pies so I have just made Nigellas Clementine cake for pudding tomorrow as we have friends coming for lunch.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hello everyone!

How are you all? I hope you had a great Christmas and that you have some fun plans for New Year celebrations ๐Ÿ™‚

So, I’d love to say that I stuck closely to the BSD over the last couple of weeks but that would be a fib, so instead I shall confess to consuming a number of roast potatoes, mince pies, crisps and leftovers sandwiches. Did I enjoy it? Yes, at the time but now I’m starting to feel that I’m just making things harder for myself! However, I have come to realise that I don’t seem to respond to weight loss “deadlines” (eg l’ve got 5 weeks before I go on hols, must lose a stone in thst time) very well anymore. It did once work tremendously in the run up to my sister’s wedding but I think that was more the fear of being the fat bridesmaid and ruining the wedding photos. I lost just over 3 stone and kept it off for a while but didn’t maintain that loss. So now I am considering not imposing any kind of timeframe but my concern is whether a complete lack of “deadlines” will result in even less dedication to the cause. I’m in a quandry about it! How do you approach this?

I think perhaps I need to think more about habit forming. I absolutely 100% without question need to build a strengthening/conditioning exercise plan into my daily routine (on the advice of back surgeon and physiotherapist) but even thougj I know this is imperative, and that I face dire consequences if I don’t, sometimes that still doesn’t propel me into action. And I think it’s exactly the same with diet/healthy eating. I KNOW these things have to be done and I am fully aware of the reasons why and the outlook if I don’t and yet….I’m beginning to think I am missing a vital piece of the puzzle somehow. Why am I not motivated? Why do I never last the course? It’s very frustrating! So, please, hit me with your thoughts, ideas, suggestions….

Apologies for the long post! Love to all x

• posted by Snoop
    on

Flash, it strikes me that you’re being very hard on yourself. Only a few people will have managed to stay on-diet over the last week or so, even the whole of December, which is just one big round of parties and other events. I live in Spain, and here the festivities continue till Epiphany (6 January). This is not an easy time. I think you just have to accept that. I expected to put weight back on and, no surprises, I have.

One thing’s for sure: beating yourself up about the past doesn’t really help unless you look back at it with an eye to devising a strategy for the future. And it looks to me like you’re doing just that already, so that’s a good start. These are just my views below. Others will have different views and strategies. I offer them as my perspective. Nothing more than that and I’m sorry for going on so long.

As far as the exercise is concerned, I know exactly what you mean. I could never see the point of ‘games’ at school. They were the point in themselves, I suppose, but I never got that and I certainly didn’t get the competitive thing.
    Things are different now for me for two main reasons. We have dogs and I have a vegetable patch. OH does most of the dog walking, but I do go out with them several times a week. The vegetable patch is my main source of exercise. It’s been in abeyance recently, but I’ve started doing the digging for the coming season. Not huge amounts each day, but enough for me to notice the benefit. I love growing veg and this to me makes sense as a form of exercise.
    And I think this is the key to exercise. Finding something that makes sense to you, either for it’s own sake (that might be possible for you if not for me) or because the end result gives you satisfaction. It could be anything. Even ballroom dancing because you want to whirl around the floor at the next wedding you go to.

As for the diet side of things, I do have an end goal but it’s so far from where I am now that, as a number, it’s pretty well irrelevant. I’ve also spotted that it’s still about 16 kg above the bottom of my healthy range according to the NHS and 15 kg above a ‘right’ weight for me according to an American calculator. And that target is just impossible, as far as I’m concerned, as I probably haven’t weighed that since I was seven. So I’ve set aside the notion of an end weight target and a deadline by which I want to achieve it. Fortunately for me, I’m not diabetic, so I don’t have to worry about fasting BG and all those figures either, and nor do I have to worry about the consequences of not getting the disease under control. All I want to do is feel well and to be well as long as possible into old age. And that is a good target. It’s one that makes sense to me in the same way that my chosen form of exercise makes sense to me.

My first eight-week stint was in fact about five weeks because I had three weeks or so out for big events. Thereafter I kept off the starchy carbs but certainly didn’t stick to it strictly by any means. I’ve tried two of Verano’s challenges. The first one I flunked dreadfully; the second one I managed about OK. I was going to sign up for the latest one, but have decided not to. My best strategy for me isn’t four weeks, eight weeks or target weight in x months. What works for me is one day at a time. Today is the only deadline I work to now and that’s manageable for me. I plan my meals for today in the morning while I’m having a bit of five-minute extra lie-in. Sure things might go awry a bit, but the basic structure for the day is there. Other people might find having a longer-term view helpful, but I cope better doing this one day at a time.

The other thing I’ve found unhelpful is comparing myself with others as far as weight loss is concerned. Some people lose weight far faster than others, perhaps because they have a different metabolism, don’t work so they have more time to cook and exercise, etc. Perhaps they simply have more to lose in the first place. At first, I found it disheartening to see that even in the weeks I was being very strict, others showed a far greater weight loss than me. Now I look at the figure, have an inward groan that I haven’t achieved even 20% of what they have, and then focus back on me. Very egoistical, I agree. As a joke, more than anything, I blame my Neanderthal genes! So I only lost 0.5 kg? That’s better than not losing anything or putting weight on. I try to put a positive spin on my achievements. If I even put weight on, well, it would have been more if I hadn’t been careful some of the time.

I bought Dr MM’s book and the accompanying recipe book, but I don’t follow the recipes or the food plan. In fact, I think I’ve only made one recipe from the two books combined. I follow the general principles as best I can on days when life gets in the way (too much work, so OH cooks; invitations to eat out; days when there’s nothing sensible in the fridge). On days when I’m in more control, I follow the principles plus find things to eat that I like. So I can’t eat spaghetti carbonara? Well, I can have courgette with smoked salmon and creme fraiche instead. Much nicer! So I can’t have a pork chop? Well, I can have fish en papillotte instead. Much tastier. I don’t stick rigidly to 800 calories a day, but I usually come in at less than a thousand.

You say that in the past you’ve lost three stones. That is an enormous amount of weight to shed. So you know you can do it. You just have to find a way in which you can do it now. You had a target date before (wedding, holidays coming up, whatever). If that isn’t working now, you have to make yourself your target. That might seem very self-centred, but if you have enough self-interest in the outcome, you will achieve it. For some, that self-interest is getting diabetes figures under control and that is a tremendous incentive. For the rest of us, we have to find what that self-interest is.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Flash, it strikes me that you’re being very hard on yourself. Only a few people will have managed to stay on-diet over the last week or so, even the whole of December, which is just one big round of parties and other events. I live in Spain, and here the festivities continue till Epiphany (6 January). This is not an easy time. I think you just have to accept that. I expected to put weight back on and, no surprises, I have.

One thing’s for sure: beating yourself up about the past doesn’t really help unless you look back at it with an eye to devising a strategy for the future. And it looks to me like you’re doing just that already, so that’s a good start. These are just my views below. Others will have different views and strategies. I offer them as my perspective, divided up so you can skip any or all of them if they’re of no interest or unhelpful.

• posted by Snoop
    on

My first eight-week stint was in fact about five weeks because I had three weeks or so out for big events. Thereafter I kept off the starchy carbs but certainly didn’t stick to it strictly by any means. I’ve tried two of Verano’s challenges. The first one I flunked dreadfully; the second one I managed about OK. I was going to sign up for the latest one, but have decided not to. My best strategy for me isn’t four weeks, eight weeks or target weight in x months. What works for me is one day at a time. Today is the only deadline I work to now and that’s manageable for me. I plan my meals for today in the morning while I’m having a bit of five-minute extra lie-in. Sure things might go awry a bit, but the basic structure for the day is there. Other people might find having a longer-term view helpful, but I cope better doing this one day at a time.

• posted by Snoop
    on

I bought Dr MM’s book and the accompanying recipe book, but I don’t follow the recipes or the food plan. In fact, I think I’ve only made one recipe from the two books combined. I follow the general principles as best I can on days when life gets in the way (too much work, so OH cooks; invitations to eat out; days when there’s nothing sensible in the fridge). On days when I’m in more control, I follow the principles plus find things to eat that I like. So I can’t eat spaghetti carbonara? Well, I can have courgette with smoked salmon and creme fraiche instead. Much nicer! So I can’t have a pork chop? Well, I can have fish en papillotte instead. Much tastier. I don’t stick rigidly to 800 calories a day, but I usually come in at less than a thousand.

• posted by Snoop
    on

You say that in the past you’ve lost three stones. That is an enormous amount of weight to shed. So you know you can do it. You just have to find a way in which you can do it now. You had a target date before (wedding, holidays coming up, whatever). If that isn’t working now, you have to make yourself your target. That might seem very self-centred, but if you have enough self-interest in the outcome, you will achieve it. For some, that self-interest is getting diabetes figures under control and that is a tremendous incentive. For the rest of us, we have to find what that self-interest is.

Good luck and best wishes for 2017.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Flash21 I don’t believe we have 100% control of how much we lose in a certain time, even if we follow the diet 100%. I prefer to set goals I do have control over – like what I put in my mouth. So for now my goal is sticking to the BSD for 4 more weeks. I may have hopes about how much I’ll lose! But that is not the part I can take action on.

• posted by topcac
    on

If I may wade in a little, if targets aren’t motivating you, you’re going to have to rewire your brain to something else. Targets don’t work for everyone and, if you’re like me, once you’ve hit them you are left with a sense of complete aimlessness – ‘so what do I do now’ so that doesn’t help either. I think you have to train your brain into thinking ‘what do I eat’ and ‘what do I NOT eat’. Imagine something that you detest (tripe? / mussels?) you have no problem resisting this because your brain knows that you don’t eat it. It won’t do you any harm and you COULD eat it, but it’s a mental attitude to certain foods. You are going to have to develop that attitude to all the stuff you don’t want to (or shouldn’t) eat.

I’ve started doing this – I pretend that I’m allergic to stuff (and to be honest the way my body reacted after a rich meal at the weekend it kinda is now). I see something that I would have normally eaten and I say to myself, ‘no, I don’t eat that’ – not I shouldn’t or I mustn’t but I don’t – period. I think it’s habit forming – it may help. Apparently it takes 66 days but each day is a day on its own, to be successful, to fall and pick yourself up.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Ahhh wow, what lovely helpful replies-thank you very much! This is wonderful advice. I particularly like the idea of just one day at a time, as I believe the mentality of having to get the weight off by a certain date is often what derails me. One day at a time is far more manageable and planning meals for that day before getting up sounds like a great start. I’m also interested in the idea of rewiring my brain regarding thinking about food. I think the notion of *not* eating something rather than *can’t* eat it is probably a subtle but important difference! It certainly sounds less restrictive somehow. 66 days to build a habit sounds doable, right? I managed to get myself into the habit of packing breakfasts and lunches for work when I started my new job, which was something I’d oddly never managed to do in my working life to date so if I can do that then with any luck I can get into the swing of other things. Thank you for your support! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Some really good advice here – there is such a lot of experience on these forums and it really helps me stay on track.

Topcac – that’s a really good strategy. Rewiring your brain really does work. I’ve rewired my brain to link the lucentis eye injections with starchy and sugary carbs. So now when I see these carbs I don’t see anything lovely about them – all I see is is the horrible injections which my brain is totally convinced will immediately follow eating any bad carbs. I have a phobia about those injections so it works really well. Actually – brain isn’t that far out because the bad carbs did cause the diabetic macular oedema and retinopathy.

So you don’t need any willpower at all – which is wonderful for someone like me who missed out on willpower.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I thought I might add my two cents worth here — i have followed the BSD diet now for ten months and have maintained since last June when I hit my goal weight. I found the holidays difficult because there was just so much food being presented and I wanted to eat a bit of family recipe stollen and a cookie or two. I participated in the “sleigh ride” thread for the four weeks leading up to Christmas because I thought it would be helpful for me to stay focused but I learned a couple of things from the intensity of the posting — first, I cannot think about weight, weight, weight and who lost a quarter pound and who whooshed and who ate too much and who did not, all day long. This is not a “diet” for me and I will not be “off the diet” EVER. This IS how I eat. I can maintain easily and be well fed following the BSD and I know it is healthy and appropriate for my body/insulin type. I think that for some people, the constant energy of posting and reading and replying can actually work against your success. I actually strongly recommend that we stop thinking so much about it and get on with our every day lives and just make it part of us forever, calmly and without too much energy. We have more to do in our lives than just lose weight. We are more important than our weight. I am not in any way casting aspersion on folk who like to be more involved and I know how helpful it can be to be accountable and read others inspirational stories. But I also know that it can get to be too much, and getting calmly into your own head, your own health, is the most important thing to do.

on

Hi Flash, my thoughts are much along the lines of Californiagirl, my motivation comes from wanting to reverse my diabetes and this is a way of life for me. Okay I will slip along the way but I know this works so I will get back onto it. I notice you don’t say you have health problems so maybe you just want to lose some weight and be a bit healthier so it is easy to give in to food or not bother doing the exercise. I see all these big weight losses and I don’t care that it has taken me 6 months to lose only18 lbs, I have seriously reduced my need for insulin and aim to be needle free in 6 months, that is motivation by the bucket load. I have managed over Christmas and have so far only gained a pound and kept my BG under 100 but I have had too much to drink on the odd day, I’m not perfect but I never want to see a BG of 190 ever again.

I live in France and we have a swimming pool in the garden so exercise is a dream for me in summer but in winter I do aerobics in front of the TV and getting motivated to do that is a chore but I get dressed in my exercise gear straight after breakfast so my brain has been told it is ready and I doesn’t seem so difficult; after I finish I feel so much better physically and mentally that I tell myself I have to remember that feeling. Doubtless I don’t always and have to force myself.

I will say something, besides a few diehards, and they are mainly diabetics, some people who have had big losses and whooshes and I lost 10 lbs in week 1 types have tended to disappear from this site after a few weeks so we will never know if they are still the biggest losers or not. You, however, are still here, beating yourself up, yes, but giving in, no. Stick with us and be kind to yourself, we are always here to help you and give you a kick up the jacksy if you think that is what you need. Sooooooo Keep on keeping on…..

• posted by Fairyface
    on

California girl and Sunshine girl my motivation comes from NOT wanting to become a diabetic and everything it brings and I will be here for a l-o-n-g time. I am not in the 10lbs lost in a week group. It does not happen to me and each pound I lose has been hard. But I am now in the frame of mind this is not a diet but a way of life. It is here to stay with us at Fairyface Glen and where ever our travels take us.
    I also think I ought to change my name to Thread Killer…………

• posted by Thisisit
    on

Hey guys…you might have read on the new thread that I’ve cleared the cupboards of the Christmas left overs following my 7lb weight gain in just a matter of days.
    Enjoyed far too much red wine, cheese and the other naughty things just followed…but 7lb ๐Ÿ˜ญ.
    Slapped myself yesterday and I’ve got myself back into the healthy eating BSD mind set.
    Set myself the target for April and despite the gain feeling positive for 2017 ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy new year to you all!

• posted by Lara
    on

Wise words Californiagirl – I especially appreciate this bit – “I actually strongly recommend that we stop thinking so much about it and get on with our every day lives and just make it part of us forever, calmly and without too much energy. We have more to do in our lives than just lose weight. We are more important than our weight.” I have found the combined wisdom of the forums enormously helpful, and there are a few “long timers” that I really respect and will always read their posts. But there’s also a lot of noise that I tend to skim through. As a long term T2 diabetic, this way of eating is my new reality and I’m incredibly grateful for discovering it. Some days are easier than others, but I’m trying (and mostly succeeding) to normalise it and just keep on keeping on ๐Ÿ™‚

Flash – my 2 cents on motivation – The turning point for me was an exercise I did with my doctor shortly before staring the BSD. She asked me to identify my core values, and rate them out of 10. Firstly on how important they are to me, and secondly how I would assess where I was currently at in relation to that value. It was a wake up call for me. The thing I rated most important to me was independence. Not losing weight, or fitting into clothes or getting fit etc., but the overwhelming desire to be healthy and physically and mentally independent to a ripe old age. I don’t have a big family, and they all live overseas, so as I get older this is becoming increasingly important. At the time I has very overweight and gaining all the time, my diabetes was out of control and I had to keep increasing my medication in a vicious cycle. So I was scoring very low on the second rating. I came across the BSD a few weeks later, and everything clicked for me.

That’s a very long-winded way of saying I think you need to find the reasons why following the BSD or incorporating strengthening exercises into your routine are important to you. So not just the standard “to loose weight” or “get stronger” throwaway statements, but what that will mean for you personally. It won’t be a magic bullet, but it has helped me get through the tougher days and kept me steadily on course.

• posted by Bissell
    on

Those comments above have been really helpful to me, just when I needed them.
    Thanks everyone.

• posted by Flash21
    on

More timely and wonderful advice, thank you all! I’m definitely going to try that rating exercise and put a bit of thought into it beyond the typical responses as suggested. I am also struck by the idea of two further things: this not being a “diet” and not getting too bogged down in it all but being calm in my head. That’s something I struggle with in other areas too, so would be a good approach in general I think.

I haven’t braved the post-Christmas scales yet – am too scared! I know I’ll have gained! I did take some measurements today though, which I hadn’t done before. A fairly horrifying set of numbers but I’m going to use them to focus on as well as the scale. So…onwards with a fresh mindset and a great gang on here for support ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Snoop
    on

I agree about the rating exercise. That sounded like a really useful thing to do. I’ve had a quick look on the Web and the first couple of pages look like dodgy organisations that will fill my computer with malware! Lara, do you have any further information you could share with us about the test?

As for the scales, Flash, they’re inanimate and nothing to be scared of, honest! ๐Ÿ™‚ And nobody here is going to judge you. We’re all in this together.

Good luck.

• posted by Lara
    on

Hi Snoop – no need for anything dodgy ๐Ÿ™‚ I did a google search and if you go to the website healthinmind.com.au to the resources page you will see various forms. Take a look at the “values questionnaire” first as this gives context to the exercise, then look at the “values assessment form”. There’s also a page on “change basics” that looks interesting – I particularly liked this quote “we need to be willing and able to tolerate different types of discomfort in order to persist and continue with those behaviours which will improve our health”. Not sure if this link will work, but if not just google it – http://healthinmind.com.au/health_in_mind/resources.html.

There’s a great quote at the bottom of the page “Even if you fall on your face, you’re still moving forward” – Victor Kiam ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Thisisit
    on

Trying not to think of this as a diet but as a normal healthy eating plan that is ongoing is good advice.
    Many of us embark on the BSD for different reasons, some of us might not have been diagnosed with diabetes but simply want to use it as a tool to lose weight and improve our health in other ways.
    I think the main hurdle is the mindset…in order to think of it of less than a diet but more of an ongoing healthy eating plan, it does help if you have started to feel the benefits and developed the habits.
    This can be easy for some and harder for others, either way, the people who are on the forums have the same goals, and the forums are a real life line for some :).
    At the end of the day, if you want to improve your health, lose weight etc, then action is required to change!
    We can write and chat as much as we want, give advice, take advice, but ultimately, if we want this to work, then we have to stop thinking and start doing ๐Ÿ™‚
    We know it works! ๐Ÿ˜„

• posted by 63Dragon
    on

Dont be hard on yourself over a few crisps. I used to crave them till I read they contain palm oil. Never again will I support any company using palm oil.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Thanks, Lara. That looks really interesting. There’s lots of stuff there. I’ll explore a bit later today.

Please log in or register to post a reply.